What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Luke Burt have been dropped ?

Should Luke Burt have been dropped?

• Total voters

SeftonBoy

Juniors
Kearney finally makes the call that was needed. Burt just hasn't come up to NRL standard on consistent basis over the last 2 years at least. He had no choice considering he needs to try & improve the football team.

If the Eels lose tonight people shouldn't be saying I told you so because Burt was dropped, they must look at how Sio & Blair go & how the future of the team can improve with these two in the team.

cv8z

Juniors
Kearney finally makes the call that was needed. Burt just hasn't come up to NRL standard on consistent basis over the last 2 years at least. He had no choice considering he needs to try & improve the football team.

If the Eels lose tonight people shouldn't be saying I told you so because Burt was dropped, they must look at how Sio & Blair go & how the future of the team can improve with these two in the team.

Look back at Loko's first few games and how he looked a year away from first grade
He improved as the season went on and was the first choice to partner Willie this year
I'm hoping the same thing happens for these 2 and they kick on

Last edited:
Glad to see SK had the balls to do it.
But really someone had to go for Hayne and Willie Tonga both rep players to come in and based on the last game Burt deserved to go out of the backs. For all we know had Hayne been right for round 1 Burt may not have played against the Broncos.

I must say, I have loved Luke Burts contribution to the team over the years and he has been one of my all time Parra favourites in the 34 years I have been bleeding Blue and Gold, however last year was definitely the year that should have been his last.

As other posters have stated, the game has moved on and outside backs now need to be bigger, stronger and more willing to get involved in the contest. And Luke, whilst a great clubman and a great ambassador for the Eels and the game, no longer seems willing to do this.

Will he be missed - yes.
Is it fair that he is dropped - maybe not based solely on last weeks game.
But as a true Parramatta fan, I want what is best for the team, not what is best for individuals, long serving clubman or not.

Will miss you Burty, hope you get your Mojo back and finish in the top grade because your form demands it.

But, if we have a side on the paddock that doesnt include Burt but wins games and gets us to the semis, is anyone on here prepared to say "I wish we ran 9th but Luke Burt played more games!" - I think not.

This!!

cv8z

Juniors
Glad to see SK had the balls to do it.
But really someone had to go for Hayne and Willie Tonga both rep players to come in and based on the last game Burt deserved to go out of the backs. For all we know had Hayne been right for round 1 Burt may not have played against the Broncos.

I think this is on the money
That's why when questioned at the eels forum as to who would do the kicking
SK said he hadn't made up his mind.
If Burt was a certainty he would have said he was first choice to take pressure off sandow

Sparky 74

Juniors
Burt to Wenty was a long time over due in my view.
He was very very soft vs the Broncos & the trial at Penrith was weak as well.

I do think this may be his last year at the Eels as a player.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I support it. Not because I don't like Burty but this is a significant action by the coach prolly for the first time since he's signed for us.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Hopefully Kearney drops a couple more non-performers like Keating and Lasallo if they don't lift their games. About time some of these guys were given a wake up call.

tresurehunt

Juniors
until kapow came to the club burt was our only kicking option which made his position secure even if he was an average player,doesnt really surprise me that he was relegated to wenty. i just wonder if he will get the call to replace jarryd if his knees give away altogether...

Freak2

Juniors
I honestly belive Burty is an out and out FULLBACK!

The game today demands strong and tall wingers that can make 8m+ runs from dummy half consistantly all game as well as take the high ball under pressure and take leaps in attack to score try's. At fullback he can use his best attribute better (HIS FOOTY BRAIN). He is a great talker and reader of the game.

Love Burty like a brother but I just don't believe he has those attributes in today's game.
So if SK is going with Hayne at fullback then I think he has made the correct decision in dropping Burt.

Personally I think Hayne is a 5/8 but that this has been debated many many times in the past and we will probably go there again sometime in the future, but for now it looks like Burty will play back up for Hayne and any other injuries to the wing 3/4's.

wrfeel

Juniors
Why the Hell would Luke Burt Get dropped to Wenty? Its an absolute joke!!!
We are having enough trouble putting points on the board. Why would we get rid of our top try scorer, and keep our 2nd rate wingers???
We need all the experience we can ge ton the field......He Scored 3 tries for Wenty.....Surely this is a one off.

NOT HAPPY!!!!:x

pazzaeel

Juniors
We are having enough trouble putting points on the board. Why would we get rid of our top try scorer, and keep our 2nd rate wingers???
We need all the experience we can ge ton the field......He Scored 3 tries for Wenty.....Surely this is a one off.

When did this happen?

cv8z

Juniors

Your in the minority

wrfeel

Juniors
When did this happen?
He played for Wenty on the weekend. Hayne is obviously playing tonight.

Blair and Sio are a bunch of bums.....Put your house on Warriors tonight.
Team moral will be down tonight, one of thier leaders has been stabbed in the back!!!!

While im at it im going to bag the absolute crap out of Kearneys strategy.
1 offload last week to brisbane's 20odd.
Games are won these days on 2nd Phase plays, and it doesnt exist in Parra's bag of tricks.....