What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Dugan

STG-Dragon

Juniors
We are a great club and we seem to be recruiting nicely and even though we are making some big signings there doesn't seem to be a reckless approach like some other NRL clubs rushing in and signing everyone. I think there is a lot of thought put into them and i would love to see the end result even though it's quite inevitable that we may lose some players in the current roster. with Dugan it is possible that we can make the finals this year and if we get Chase as well we might give it a shake.

Theses players are better than no one but honestly we have failed with so many 1st preferences and seem to me to be signing whoever we can... Dugan no one wanted cause of his issues and even chose the Bronco's over us, before f@cking it up for himself. Widdop hardly a highly converted player either, The Pommy bloke Cooper (Who the f#ck is he???) and Thompson good player but imo we had to pay overs for him. Also haven't heard anyone else interested in Rangi his current club wishes to offload him and we booted him years ago...

Last edited:

STG-Dragon

Juniors
as it stands Jamie Soward is the greatest Dragons recruit of the last 20 years bar none, let's hope the new generation of signings can match this, Dugan joins the club as a genuine elite player of super star status when focussed. Go Dugan!!!

Agreed!

jenninga

First Grade
Mate quite the opposite we have failed with so many 1st preferences options and seem to me to be signing whoever we can... Dugan no one wants, Widdop not really wanted by other clubs either, The Pommy (Who the f#ck is he???) and Thompson we had to pay overs for and still rumors of Chase nobody wants either not even his current club!
We missed out on a big one ,Cronk and Bellamy,who else did we miss out on..If Beale isn't injured we probably wouldn't have gone for Dugan.Widdop has developed into a classy 5/8th and a great replacement for Soward.Thompson ,big young gives us something we don't have ,a big running backrower.Chase from all reports owes money which is holding things up and is out of our hands. The pommy forward we don't know about.
We have just signed Farrell as we needed a centre.All good signings.
Bet you were complaining when we weren't signing anyone,and still not happy.

Saint Anger

Juniors
I hope you guys have a good medical team at the dragons because that is where he will be spending most of his time.

Living in Canberra and going to most raiders games and having watched him many many times you will also see him clutching at some body part after every hit up he takes.

Maybe he can have his own medic by the side of him on the field?

Cry us all a river :-({|=

st.phil

Bench
Theses players are better than no one but honestly we have failed with so many 1st preferences and seem to me to be signing whoever we can... Dugan no one wanted cause of his issues and even chose the Bronco's over us, before f@cking it up for himself. Widdop hardly a highly converted player either, The Pommy bloke Cooper (Who the f#ck is he???) and Thompson good player but imo we had to pay overs for him. Also haven't heard anyone else interested in Rangi his current club wishes to offload him and we booted him years ago...

Oh whinge whinge - whats wrong with a little opportunism? Happens all the time - we got Widdop, Thompson and Farrell - all players in high demand - FACT. Just be happy we are getting an injection of quality players and are actively addressing the problem of our aging roster.

blaza88z

Coach
I would like to know which other clubs are "recklessly" signing players, the only team you could make a case for would be Parramatta but have you seen their team?

everything has just worked out perfect for Dugan to join the Dragons, Dragons have no fullback and no other club will take him, let's be honest about it, you didn't fight off 3 other clubs to win his signature, as I said earlier, I am interested to know what coin he is on because I don't think he would of taken anything too short, he could go play in England and be a walk up starter for nearly any of those clubs you would think

Widdop, could be anything but could also turn out like the other Storm players who have left their team too, Adam Blair is case and point, he's definitely not proven to carry a team around the park, a few games a year during State of Origin is a bit different then carrying the responsibility for 26 rounds in the regular season and he will have to be doing that for you guys because you don't really have any other play makers of note to ease the pressure away from him

Mike Cooper, never heard of him

Dylan Farrell, utility player by the sounds of the Souths forum

Joel Thompson, good back rower but perhaps a bit pricey, pardon the pun

STG-Dragon

Juniors
We missed out on a big one ,Cronk and Bellamy,who else did we miss out on..If Beale isn't injured we probably wouldn't have gone for Dugan.Widdop has developed into a classy 5/8th and a great replacement for Soward.Thompson ,big young gives us something we don't have ,a big running backrower.Chase from all reports owes money which is holding things up and is out of our hands. The pommy forward we don't know about.
We have just signed Farrell as we needed a centre.All good signings.
Bet you were complaining when we weren't signing anyone,and still not happy.

Carney, Aubusson, Chambers etc over the years many many more. Widdop looks great with the Storm like any player does (except Stanley) but how many players whom have left the storm have really excelled?? Inglis is pretty much it.

I said these players are better than none but hardly awesome signings. We have made no marquee signings or pulled off a coup signing. Dugan is the most rated player I can remember us ever signing and look how we got him... Wish we had Pat Riley running us he definitely knows how to sign marquee talent ;-).

STG-Dragon

Juniors
I would like to know which other clubs are "recklessly" signing players, the only team you could make a case for would be Parramatta but have you seen their team?

everything has just worked out perfect for Dugan to join the Dragons, Dragons have no fullback and no other club will take him, let's be honest about it, you didn't fight off 3 other clubs to win his signature, as I said earlier, I am interested to know what coin he is on because I don't think he would of taken anything too short, he could go play in England and be a walk up starter for nearly any of those clubs you would think

Widdop, could be anything but could also turn out like the other Storm players who have left their team too, Adam Blair is case and point, he's definitely not proven to carry a team around the park, a few games a year during State of Origin is a bit different then carrying the responsibility for 26 rounds in the regular season and he will have to be doing that for you guys because you don't really have any other play makers of note to ease the pressure away from him

Mike Cooper, never heard of him

Dylan Farrell, utility player by the sounds of the Souths forum

Joel Thompson, good back rower but perhaps a bit pricey, pardon the pun

Wow finally someone with some intelligence, not just a one eyed fan desperate for any signing...

saints4ever

First Grade
the way I look at it, it depends on who we are replacing.

Widdop for Soward? Upgrade.

Thompson for ????? the backrow looks set to be Frizzel, Creagh, Merrin unless Mez moves to the front row.

Farrel for Stanley/Coops? I dunno about this guy, never seen him play. He wont defend like coops, but if he can attack (which is what we need) he will be better than Stanley.

If we are replacing quality with quality or better version, I say give em a shot. If it fails at least we tried

TheRev

Coach
Widdop and Dugen are the only actual Marquee players we have signed, neither of them are mind-blowing signings like a Maloney, SBW, Burgess, Benji type established level... but:

Widdop - Slight risk sure but he obviously has some great skills he has put on display for the Storm, im really confident with him, but he needs a good halves partner, 550k is a good price imo.

Dugen - Def not many clubs interested in him, but a lot of that is we are one of the few clubs with a) no established superstar halfback and b) heaps of money left in our 2013 salary cap, its just the right fit for us and him.. but agree its not like we have signed Slater or Stewart or Bowen or Hayne or an established and reliable fullback, but he is a gamble that just makes sense for us, worst case hes gone end of year, best case we get a young kid with genuine talent in our roster ongoing.

All the others for me are more just first grade standard players to help fill up our ageing roster, but they are all necessary.. and Rangi is another risk but its one I REALLY want to take, otherwise itll be Drinkwater or a completely untested gamble on Kyle Stanley.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
lol, he's a dopey troll from another club you goose

I know he's not a Dragons's fan you knob
you didn't fight off 3 other clubs to win his signature
I was referring to ppl like you... That was hardly a troll post, Just cause he is not a Dragons fan and has an opinion doesn't make him a troll. He made no reckless or abusive statements towards the Dragons.

Last edited:

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Widdop and Dugen are the only actual Marquee players we have signed, neither of them are mind-blowing signings like a Maloney, SBW, Burgess, Benji type established level... but:

Widdop - Slight risk sure but he obviously has some great skills he has put on display for the Storm, im really confident with him, but he needs a good halves partner, 550k is a good price imo.

Dugen - Def not many clubs interested in him, but a lot of that is we are one of the few clubs with a) no established superstar halfback and b) heaps of money left in our 2013 salary cap, its just the right fit for us and him.. but agree its not like we have signed Slater or Stewart or Bowen or Hayne or an established and reliable fullback, but he is a gamble that just makes sense for us, worst case hes gone end of year, best case we get a young kid with genuine talent in our roster ongoing.

All the others for me are more just first grade standard players to help fill up our ageing roster, but they are all necessary.. and Rangi is another risk but its one I REALLY want to take, otherwise itll be Drinkwater or a completely untested gamble on Kyle Stanley.

This

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
To all the non St George fans here...he may turn out to be a great buy or the worst buy in history, but there's no need to act live a five year old jealous merkin...People would be pulling themsleves if their team picked up a player of his calibre, but because he doesn't go to their team he is an overrated, injury probe hack... Grow up you idiots...go and worry about the fortunes of your own team.

Latest posts