What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Dugan

BrissyRedV

Bench
Carney, Aubusson, Chambers etc over the years many many more. Widdop looks great with the Storm like any player does (except Stanley) but how many players whom have left the storm have really excelled?? Inglis is pretty much it.

Tolman, Lowrie, Steve Turner went alright but he was never anything special, Folau.

_Johnsy

Referee
Have a mate @ work who is a rabid bunnies fan. He rates him. Apparently a solid defender with quick feet/footwork. He reckons he has the ability to beat a defender 1 on 1. A solid signing he says, rates it a 7.5-8/10.

Godz Illa

Coach
Tolman, Lowrie, Steve Turner went alright but he was never anything special, Folau.
Jeremy Smith was average. Didn't excel and win a comp or anything like that. Ditto Matt Orford. Bog average Dally M medallist premiership winning captain.

BennyV

Referee
Widdop, could be anything but could also turn out like the other Storm players who have left their team too, Adam Blair is case and point, he's definitely not proven to carry a team around the park, a few games a year during State of Origin is a bit different then carrying the responsibility for 26 rounds in the regular season and he will have to be doing that for you guys because you don't really have any other play makers of note to ease the pressure away from him

Yeah, because that's what we need, someone to 'carry our team around the park'...I meant, its worked so well for the Cowboys with all those premierships they have won...:roll:

Carney, Aubusson, Chambers etc over the years many many more. Widdop looks great with the Storm like any player does (except Stanley) but how many players whom have left the storm have really excelled?? Inglis is pretty much it.

I said these players are better than none but hardly awesome signings. We have made no marquee signings or pulled off a coup signing. Dugan is the most rated player I can remember us ever signing and look how we got him... Wish we had Pat Riley running us he definitely knows how to sign marquee talent ;-).

Folau destroyed after he left Melbourne. Same story with Jeremy Smith. Aiden Tolman,Todd Lowrie, Sika Manu, Dane Neilson - all are VERY solid players at their new clubs after leaving Storm, and none of them had the wraps on them that Widdop does - he was highly touted when he played Toyota Cup and has played for his country. Just because he's played with Smith, Cronk and Slater doesnt mean he is crap.

Instead of making ridiclous claims about Inglis being the 'only one who has excelled', maybe recognise that Adam Blair is the only Storm journeyman who has been a huge flop.

bottle

Coach
Have a mate @ work who is a rabid bunnies fan. He rates him. Apparently a solid defender with quick feet/footwork. He reckons he has the ability to beat a defender 1 on 1. A solid signing he says, rates it a 7.5-8/10.

Much as I hate buying into any negativity about Saints' players, I think Chase (Stanley) is a weak link.
If this proves to be true of Farrell, and he is a right side player (?) then it's a superb buy.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Jeremy Smith was average. Didn't excel and win a comp or anything like that. Ditto Matt Orford. Bog average Dally M medallist premiership winning captain.

I was racking my brain to add those 2 Storm "flops". The big 3 are so good, they should just run out by themselves.

blaza88z

Coach
Yeah, because that's what we need, someone to 'carry our team around the park'...I meant, its worked so well for the Cowboys with all those premierships they have won...:roll:

I am not too sure what you're trying to say..

I am not a Cowboys fan and my care factor for JT at club level couldn't be any lower.

BennyV

Referee
I am not too sure what you're trying to say..

I am not a Cowboys fan and my care factor for JT at club level couldn't be any lower.

You focus on Widdop as a dud signing because he cant carry a team around the park. What I'm saying (indirectly) is that we dont want a player to carry our team - Widdop will have his job and I am confident he will perform it very well. A top side isnt built around 1 player (case in point, Cowboys), its built around a balance of quality players, and that is what the dragons are going for next year.

blaza88z

Coach
You focus on Widdop as a dud signing because he cant carry a team around the park. What I'm saying (indirectly) is that we dont want a player to carry our team - Widdop will have his job and I am confident he will perform it very well. A top side isnt built around 1 player (case in point, Cowboys), its built around a balance of quality players, and that is what the dragons are going for next year.

:crazy:

jenninga

First Grade

I said these players are better than none but hardly awesome signings. We have made no marquee signings or pulled off a coup signing. Dugan is the most rated player I can remember us ever signing and look how we got him... Wish we had Pat Riley running us he definitely knows how to sign marquee talent ;-).
Carney,Aubusson and Chambers were paper talk,and please Aubusson a marquee.Widdop has proven he can play without the 3 during Origin time and has been great.

STG-Dragon

Juniors

Folau destroyed after he left Melbourne. Same story with Jeremy Smith. Aiden Tolman,Todd Lowrie, Sika Manu, Dane Neilson - all are VERY solid players at their new clubs after leaving Storm, and none of them had the wraps on them that Widdop does - he was highly touted when he played Toyota Cup and has played for his country. Just because he's played with Smith, Cronk and Slater doesnt mean he is crap.

Instead of making ridiclous claims about Inglis being the 'only one who has excelled', maybe recognise that Adam Blair is the only Storm journeyman who has been a huge flop.

Who the F#ck said he was crap???? Fact is he is not a marquee signing that had a tonne of clubs after him. I rate him but he needs a solid halfback and last time I check the Dragons don't have one and Rangi Chase def is not that.

I'm not knocking the signings just not jumping through hoops claiming they are awesome like some on here... Ps None of those players IMO have performed better than they did at the Storm, most have dropped off some what.

Last edited:

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Carney,Aubusson and Chambers were paper talk,and please Aubusson a marquee.Widdop has proven he can play without the 3 during Origin time and has been great.

LOL so you claim they were not chased by the Dragons and because they chose not to play for the Dragons the papers just made it up??? Rightooo :crazy:

jenninga

First Grade
Widdop and Dugen are the only actual Marquee players we have signed, neither of them are mind-blowing signings like a Maloney, SBW, Burgess, Benji type established level... but:

Widdop - Slight risk sure but he obviously has some great skills he has put on display for the Storm, im really confident with him, but he needs a good halves partner, 550k is a good price imo.

Dugen - Def not many clubs interested in him, but a lot of that is we are one of the few clubs with a) no established superstar halfback and b) heaps of money left in our 2013 salary cap, its just the right fit for us and him.. but agree its not like we have signed Slater or Stewart or Bowen or Hayne or an established and reliable fullback, but he is a gamble that just makes sense for us, worst case hes gone end of year, best case we get a young kid with genuine talent in our roster ongoing.

All the others for me are more just first grade standard players to help fill up our ageing roster, but they are all necessary.. and Rangi is another risk but its one I REALLY want to take, otherwise itll be Drinkwater or a completely untested gamble on Kyle Stanley.
I can't wait for Rangi,hopefully he will be with us.The pleasing thing with the signings so far is the age of them all ,under 25.
Some players need a move to bring the best out of them.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Who the F#ck said he was crap???? Fact is he is not a marquee signing that had a tonne of clubs after him. I rate him but he needs a solid halfback and last time I check the Dragons don't have one and Rangi Chase def is not that.

I not knocking the signings just not jumping through hoops claiming they are great or something. Ps None of those players IMO have performed better than they did at the Storm most have dropped off some what.

Who out of those players has dropped off some what? I thought Jeremy Smith played very well for us. Aidan Tolman is better than he was at the Storm. Todd Lowrie is playing better at the Warriors then he did at the storm even in a losing team. Sika Manu has been solid for the Panthers. To say just because their respective teams are not performing well that they have dropped off is a ridiculous assumption.

BennyV

Referee

I not knocking the signings just not jumping through hoops claiming they are great or something. Ps None of those players IMO have performed better than they did at the Storm most have dropped off some what.

Again, its a negative view of things - the only one who has 'dropped off' has been Blair, the rest have held their own and adapted well to the team they have been put in, some have grown (Smith, Inglis, Folau) while others have just started with their clubs (Lowrie, Manu, O'Neill) and have time to grow...Blair has sucked. Thats it.

You dont know what other clubs were after Widdop. He flew under the radar because of the big rumours surrounding Carney, Reynolds and JT, but that doesnt mean that noone was hunting him. Again, he is a former Toyota Cup Player of the Year, an English International and a premiership winner. If that's not worth what he are paying for him, I dont know what is...

jenninga

First Grade
LOL so you claim they were not chased by the Dragons and because they chose not to play for the Dragons the papers just made it up??? Rightooo :crazy:
You obviously believe anything the idiot journo's write linking us with any player who is off contract ,it is clear we weren't interested in Carney,hence the Widdop signing.The others re signing with existing clubs,what makes you think we were even talking to them.
For months we have been ridiculing rumours of players linked to us,you obviously believe them making you rediculous.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Who out of those players has dropped off some what? I thought Jeremy Smith played very well for us. Aidan Tolman is better than he was at the Storm. Todd Lowrie is playing better at the Warriors then he did at the storm even in a losing team. Sika Manu has been solid for the Panthers. To say just because their respective teams are not performing well that they have dropped off is a ridiculous assumption.

Again, its a negative view of things - the only one who has 'dropped off' has been Blair, the rest have held their own and adapted well to the team they have been put in, some have grown (Smith, Inglis, Folau) while others have just started with their clubs (Lowrie, Manu, O'Neill) and have time to grow...Blair has sucked. Thats it.

You dont know what other clubs were after Widdop. He flew under the radar because of the big rumours surrounding Carney, Reynolds and JT, but that doesnt mean that noone was hunting him. Again, he is a former Toyota Cup Player of the Year, an English International and a premiership winner. If that's not worth what he are paying for him, I dont know what is...

IMO they have dropped off and don't have the same impact for their current teams that they did with the Storm. Why is it that it is common knowledge even said numerous times on TV by commentators, that Storm players are generally system players and tend to struggle when pulled out of Melbourne. I like Widdop and his signing just don't think it's as impressive as some are making it out to be.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I take it no one saw this attached to the media release today:

NB: The Dragons have had discussions with Josh Dugan's Management but at this stage he has not signed to play for the club.
If anything was to become official we will advise accordingly through our communication channels and the media.

Sorry, it arrived at 12:15pm. Should have posted it earlier. I just assumed it would have been jumped on by the mainstream.

Latest posts