What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snapshot at memberships to date

I am in a position to judge people based on what they say.

Cleary, i think you are off the mark.

It has been well pointed out the difficult decision faced by some Dragons Supporters in renewing membership for reasons ranging from being out of town, to affordability, transport, life's cirsumstances, or voicing protest. Just because one or more of those things affects you and plays on your mind if and how you renew does not make you less of a supporter for goodness sake.

Bottle put it simply, how do you support the team but protest some aspects of management decision-making? And the comment made that it is (not just our right) but our RESPONSIBILITY to protest when something is wrong - is a fundamental of personal leadership and good conscientiousness. (whew trying spelling that after a few Schnapps)

Some find it easy to renew, and for good reason too. It's no question at all - i.e. to support during thick and thin. And good luck to them too.

I think some of the decisions made by our board over the last 2 seasons in particular are rubbish. I am REALLY WORRIED what will happen to our identity and heritage in making us a team of nomads, playing in large hollow empty stadiums ....AGAIN!! ...apparantly for short term financial gain. Why do WE have to be those puppies of the NRL again?? What of the JV promise?? All the good things that add value to Dragons still need to properly packaged and marketed.

I am reminded by the previous treasurer's response to grumbling public when the banks didn't pass on RBA interest rate cuts in full to their retail customers. He (Wayne Swann) said - change banks! Vote with your feet, or moreso - vote with your wallet.

Now we don't have that luxury or perogative - do we? We cannot go and support another team, or another code because we are ALL DRAGONS fans and stay that way for life. We're true believers. It's in our blood.

I don't for a moment question any of our individual board member's intentions, or character, or passion as a fellow Dragon's fan. I just think some of their decisions of late are really bad.

They may have lost sight of the woods thru the trees.

They need honest feedback from their supporters - customers ...US !! But don't seem to be good listeners. And I blame them for that.

BTW, I got an easy definition of a Dragons Supporter - any one who utters the words "GO Saints" or "GO the Dragons" and means it, is in my mind a fellow supporter and commands my respect and mateship.

It's really that simple.

Honestly, the way some Supporters bag out some of their "fellow" supporters on this forum IS a bloody disgrace. It's like they are calling out a Manly or a sharks supporter. I've just about had a gut-full.

(actually, I just wanted to say "bloody disgrace" and "gutful" in the one post).

I miss talkin' strine.

Prosit

possm

Coach

It has been well pointed out the difficult decision faced by some Dragons Supporters in renewing membership for reasons ranging from being out of town, to affordability, transport, life's cirsumstances, or voicing protest. Just because one or more of those things affects you and plays on your mind if and how you renew does not make you less of a supporter for goodness sake.

Bottle put it simply, how do you support the team but protest some aspects of management decision-making? And the comment made that it is (not just our right) but our RESPONSIBILITY to protest when something is wrong - is a fundamental of personal leadership and good conscientiousness. (whew trying spelling that after a few Schnapps)

Some find it easy to renew, and for good reason too. It's no question at all - i.e. to support during thick and thin. And good luck to them too.

I think some of the decisions made by our board over the last 2 seasons in particular are rubbish. I am REALLY WORRIED what will happen to our identity and heritage in making us a team of nomads, playing in large hollow empty stadiums ....AGAIN!! ...apparantly for short term financial gain. Why do WE have to be those puppies of the NRL again?? What of the JV promise?? All the good things that add value to Dragons still need to properly packaged and marketed.

I am reminded by the previous treasurer's response to grumbling public when the banks didn't pass on RBA interest rate cuts in full to their retail customers. He (Wayne Swann) said - change banks! Vote with your feet, or moreso - vote with your wallet.

Now we don't have that luxury or perogative - do we? We cannot go and support another team, or another code because we are ALL DRAGONS fans and stay that way for life. We're true believers. It's in our blood.

I don't for a moment question any of our individual board member's intentions, or character, or passion as a fellow Dragon's fan. I just think some of their decisions of late are really bad.

They need honest feedback from their supporters - customers ...US !! But don't seem to be good listeners. And I blame them for that.

BTW, I got an easy definition of a Dragons Supporter - any one who utters the words "GO Saints" or "GO the Dragons" and means it, is in my mind a fellow supporter and commands my respect and mateship.

It's really that simple.

Honestly, the way some Supporters bag out some of their "fellow" supporters on this forum IS a bloody disgrace. It's like they are calling out a Manly or a sharks supporter. I've just about had a gut-full.

(actually, I just wanted to say "bloody disgrace" and "gutful" in the one post).

I miss talkin' strine.

Prosit

Gee Black Forest Dragon what a great post! For me the best post of 2013. I hope members read this closely. It is the type of post I personally would love to see more of.

It's really that simple.

I miss talkin' strine.

Prosit

haha.
thats noice words bfd.

but ya strine is outofwhack!
or are you just having a bet each way.

With your "gutful" and "gut-full".
LOL.

you better act like a boomerang real soon mate.

but in the meantime, no worries and aveagoodday!

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Gee Black Forest Dragon what a great post! For me the best post of 2013. I hope members read this closely. It is the type of post I personally would love to see more of.

I also am happy to see more of these types of posts....especially if it equates to less Tim Sheens adoration, make me want to throw up type posts.
However, in saying that, the reality is we are all entitled to an opinion whether it is popular or not.
No denying the club management is a little slow out of the box (only a year or two) but I think we are at least heading in the right direction.

possm

Coach
I also am happy to see more of these types of posts....especially if it equates to less Tim Sheens adoration, make me want to throw up type posts.
However, in saying that, the reality is we are all entitled to an opinion whether it is popular or not.
No denying the club management is a little slow out of the box (only a year or two) but I think we are at least heading in the right direction.

Yes, it looks more and more like you won't have to throw up. As I've said before, all I am after is a competitive Dragons side and less self-inflicted poor judgment/decisions by Club officials.

In my opinion, Sheens at this point in time is the only credible coach available. I believe in 2015 and 2016 there will be some better options up for grabs.

So the way things are, Price has the confidence of the Board, the CEO and apparantly the players; who am I to argue with that? Let's just have a look and see what the first half a dozen games show us.

I do think the restructiure of the coaching staff (to include Craig Young as forwards coach and Mary McGreggor as attacking coach) will make a big difference both on the field and with regards to recruitment. It was plain to see in season 2013 that the forwards as a unit performed below expectations and the attacking play that Price went on and on about really did not eventuate. So let’s hope for some imporovement in these areas.

When it ocmes to defence, Price was well schooled by the master so let’s hope he can concentrate on getting the team back to the brick wall defence that made the 2010 team so successful.

I honestly would love to see Price succeed in 2014 because it would mean the Dragons would be competitive again and hopefully my face will show more smile then frown.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's supporting 'the team', the boys that take the field, and there is supporting 'the club'.
How do you demonstrate frustration with one without hurting the other?
So what action does one take when a club does not support the team?

Take for example a club that continues to drop it's financial grants to the football team, or falls short of meeting it's financial committments to the home ground. Just a thought...

We expect players to remain loyal - and we expect the fans to be loyal... but the club? In the land of the fair go, it should be a two way street.

The issues of management are certainly not the fans' fault. But the fans are expected to fork out the dough and blindly follow those who have got us into this situation, with no indication that the money will go towards improving matters. That's simply not right.

Nevertheless, I'll be at Kogarah games and will travel distances to be there. And the team will have my support all year regardless of where I find myself. I simply refuse to go to the neutral venues that are masquerading as home games.

But what of people who can't go to any games at all? They might have good reasons - health, personal, or whatever. You may not always agree with their reasons but surely that's their call to make. And it doesn't mean they don't support the team. You see, it becomes near enough to impossible to make such a judgment call.

One thing that does hurt is that I have contacted the club through numerous avenues and voiced my frustration in a coherent and passive manner and with the exception of one lucky phone conversation, I haven't even had a response.
Same here, in writing in always in a polite manner. The response I received was also polite enough but had that sting in the tail that basically said "suck it up".

Sounds like we may have had similar experiences.
hardbaby said:
The Dragons management has very obviously made the decision that they are right and we supporters are wrong.
Yes, that's the impression I get. And no customer puts up with that. But they feel that as supporters we will put up with more than any customer. IMO, that's taking advantage of our loyalty... for the past 50+ years I've been happy to oblige, but there's a limit to this.

TruSaint

Referee

It's really that simple.

I miss talkin' strine.

Prosit

Now that is one hell of a great post.. Hard to combine logic and passion, but you did it. :D

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Every person that comes to this site is a true fan otherwise why would they bother. Nobody is forced to post any comments. They do so because they want to and to share the opinions which not everyone will agree with. They must really love the club to find a site dedicated to fellow supporters where they can actually communicate to others that feel the same way about the club. Some people are just more passionate than others.

Dragons fans bagging other Dragons fans is not right. We all have our opinions. I may be guilty of that in past so I apologise.

Lets just hope we have a great season and I am sure the memberships will be high again. They certainly have a great roster in 2014 so we should see more points.

Every person that comes to this site is a true fan otherwise why would they bother. Nobody is forced to post any comments. They do so because they want to and to share the opinions which not everyone will agree with. They must really love the club to find a site dedicated to fellow supporters where they can actually communicate to others that feel the same way about the club. Some people are just more passionate than others.

Dragons fans bagging other Dragons fans is not right. We all have our opinions. I may be guilty of that in past so I apologise.

Lets just hope we have a great season and I am sure the memberships will be high again. They certainly have a great roster in 2014 so we should see more points.

...Think if the Dragons present well in pre-season tournaments and say win the CS, they will have a flurry of membership in Feb.

...and yeah, everyone who posts on this forum is a great supporter - otherwise, like you said Slipery - why would you bother?

BrissyRedV

Bench
To be on this forum or even just to where some of the merchandise etc. shows that you are a supporter. The hassle we have is showing to the club our discontent with some of their decisions. Some believe that not renewing membership is a way of getting a message through to club that we are not happy with some of the choices the board has made. Personally, this would not get the message across and could potentially hurt the club. If they have predicted and budgeted for so many members to renew and they don't, this decreases the revenue the club would make. Games have already been sold off to increase revenue and may continue if other streams of revenue cannot be increased. Also, Football operations could be affected if revenue cannot be improved.

Last edited:

Sticks2

Juniors
A few facts about the "Business Decision" and one of the reason the membership levels are presently so low! Hopefully it will bring things to a head! The sooner the better for our survival!
The argument the club is a business and to survive we got to move a shitload of games away from our spiritual home because we can’t pay our rent.....isn't that because of bad management???? doesn't the Ceo have to be held accountable for this???? The following was reported 2 Years ago......................................................." THE mantle of the NRL's most valuable club has been taken by St George Illawarra.

The Dragons were listed ninth on trademark lawyer Wayne Covell's table of Australia's most valuable football clubs, overtaking last year's NRL top dogs, Brisbane.

According to figures from Repucom International, the Dragons had the third-highest television audience share of any football club last year, behind Collingwood and St Kilda. Dragons’ chief executive Peter Doust said his club might have fared even better if the AFL teams had not squared off in a second title decider.

"If they hadn't have played two grand finals it might have been a different score," he said.

St George Illawarra's merchandise revenue was particularly strong - superior to that of Geelong, Essendon, St Kilda and Carlton. Its 2010 sponsorship revenue was slightly above Hawthorn's at $6.1 million.

Their first premiership as a joint venture and the first by a Dragons side in 31 years was crucial to their off-field success. "It's no surprise, I suppose, that we have been judged a lot on our lack of achievement on the field over three decades," Doust said. "To put that one down on the on-field scoreboard was a significant achievement for the club and it does drive business, there's no doubt about it, success on the field.''

Doust believes the Dragons have a national reach unrivalled in the NRL. "The tradition of St George, where there is a lot of people around Australia and internationally that do know our brand, has I think, helped in that respect and underpinned our brand development. That St George Illawarra brand across that region in NSW has given us a good solid core of support. I think those two go together to put us at the forefront of rugby league and sport."

NRL boss David Gallop was generous in his praise of the premiers.

"They are pretty unique in terms of their history - 11 straight premierships, their present state - they hold all the silverware in the game at the moment and their future looks bright with new stadium improvements at Kogarah and Wollongong," Gallop told The Sun-Herald."......Saints supporters where did it all go wrong to the point where now we can’t pay our rent?????? Can any of you please tell me!

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Success breeds success

Maybe throw in reduced grant from Leagues club, a tight economic climate and ever changing demographics. In terms of TV watchingness, thingy....that lies at the feet of Rooster loving, Broncos sucking Gyngell and Ch Nein.
And people want to walk away from showing their support, membership and purchasing of merchandise. No one stopping them I suppose - each to their own...just don't throw all your toys out of the cot just yet

gonz

Juniors
A few facts about the "Business Decision" and one of the reason the membership levels are presently so low! Hopefully it will bring things to a head! The sooner the better for our survival!
The argument the club is a business and to survive we got to move a shitload of games away from our spiritual home because we can?t pay our rent.....isn't that because of bad management???? doesn't the Ceo have to be held accountable for this???? The following was reported 2 Years ago......................................................." THE mantle of the NRL's most valuable club has been taken by St George Illawarra.

The Dragons were listed ninth on trademark lawyer Wayne Covell's table of Australia's most valuable football clubs, overtaking last year's NRL top dogs, Brisbane.

According to figures from Repucom International, the Dragons had the third-highest television audience share of any football club last year, behind Collingwood and St Kilda. Dragons? chief executive Peter Doust said his club might have fared even better if the AFL teams had not squared off in a second title decider.

"If they hadn't have played two grand finals it might have been a different score," he said.

St George Illawarra's merchandise revenue was particularly strong - superior to that of Geelong, Essendon, St Kilda and Carlton. Its 2010 sponsorship revenue was slightly above Hawthorn's at $6.1 million.

Their first premiership as a joint venture and the first by a Dragons side in 31 years was crucial to their off-field success. "It's no surprise, I suppose, that we have been judged a lot on our lack of achievement on the field over three decades," Doust said. "To put that one down on the on-field scoreboard was a significant achievement for the club and it does drive business, there's no doubt about it, success on the field.''

Doust believes the Dragons have a national reach unrivalled in the NRL. "The tradition of St George, where there is a lot of people around Australia and internationally that do know our brand, has I think, helped in that respect and underpinned our brand development. That St George Illawarra brand across that region in NSW has given us a good solid core of support. I think those two go together to put us at the forefront of rugby league and sport."

NRL boss David Gallop was generous in his praise of the premiers.

"They are pretty unique in terms of their history - 11 straight premierships, their present state - they hold all the silverware in the game at the moment and their future looks bright with new stadium improvements at Kogarah and Wollongong," Gallop told The Sun-Herald."......Saints supporters where did it all go wrong to the point where now we can?t pay our rent?????? Can any of you please tell me!
I'd like to know also and the snippet in paper the other day
Is embarrassing ! The sharks even with the fine are still poised to
dominate us financially.

Tele snippet "Southern syd is 1 area the NRL
needs to be careful about. Neighbours stgeorge Ill have all but bailed out of the area playing
4 games out of their spiritual home kogarah, they have no money
and have gone to the NRL for a cash advance"

Worrying and embarrassing

Ace-STi

Juniors
I'd like to know also and the snippet in paper the other day
Is embarrassing ! The sharks even with the fine are still poised to
dominate us financially.

Tele snippet "Southern syd is 1 area the NRL
needs to be careful about. Neighbours stgeorge Ill have all but bailed out of the area playing
4 games out of their spiritual home kogarah, they have no money
and have gone to the NRL for a cash advance"

Worrying and embarrassing

I wouldn't worry about that idiot Rothfield, even sharks supporters don't like him!

He is just bagging us to make himself feel Better about their shot storm!

TruSaint

Referee
Just an update for those who r interested.

Bunnies clicked 20k.
Tigers 4,200
Dogs 10,400
Eels 10,380
Chooks 8,300
Cowboys 7,200
saints 4,200

The Eels surprise me.
Long way to go...

Dragon Jim

Juniors
Very early days.

I personally have renewed on a 10 game membership, have also asked for better seating in the upper stand at Kogarah. I'm with two others so if we get better seating it's a sure sign of disgruntled members voting with their feet.

Lethal did you pay a priority upgrade or just fingers crossed?

TruSaint

Referee
There are some really good seats left.
Lower stand, just on 40 metre zone, family of 5 who I know havent and wont renew.
Dad been relocated to the States.