What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soliman still chasing Mundine

Sugar

Bench
From Fox sports

Mason cruises to victory
By James Dampney
March 07, 2007 LES Mason, the older brother of rugby league star Willie Mason, commenced his professional boxing career with a crushing victory at Sydney Entertainment Centre.

The undercard to the title fight between Anthony Mundine, the country's highest-profile boxer, and Sam Soliman was dominated by former rugby league players, with John Hopoate and Solomon Haumono also claiming victories.

But Mason made the biggest impression - in more ways than one.

The 27-year-old heavyweight stands 200cm and weighs 124.1kg, a full 25kg more than his journeyman opponent tonight, John Justice.

With brother Willie watching in the stands alongside former dual rugby international Wendell Sailor, Mason wasted little time, forcing referee Brian McMahon to stop the fight just 1min 59sec into the opening round.

The decision was met with a chorus of boos from a pumped-up crowd hoping to see more from the debutant.

Mason, 34, said he had hoped his professional debut would last a little longer.

"I wanted it to be a bit more spectacular, but that's the way it goes," Mason said.

"You can't really plan these things, but I didn't expect him to stop it that early.

"I wanted to finish it in style.

"My first fight's out of the way now so now I can move on with it."

Former Wests Tigers and Manly plager Haumono put in the most polished display of the ex-footballers in his first fight in nearly five years, hammering veteran Fatu Tui Tuimanono.

Haumono has re-ignited his boxing career under legendary trainer Johnny Lewis, who is excited about his charge's potential.

Haumono knocked out the hapless Fijian inside the opening round to take his record to a perfect 9-0.

Former league bad boy Hopoate completed the treble, defeating Richard Tutaki from New Zealand with his sixth knockout in as many fights.

Tutaki put up some resistance, but Hopoate ended the fight with one second remaining in the second round, landing some sledgehammer right-hand punches.

"I'm still a novice in the fight game," Hopoate said.

"I'm still learning the craft."

AAP

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
After the 6th they are saying it looks like mundine is just getting into the rin to start...and solly looks like hes gone thrugh 12 rounds already

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Anthony Mundine Has Knocked Out Sam Solliman in The 9th Round To Claim the WBA Super Middleweight Championship Of The World

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
griffo346 said:
damn i hate mundine so much but have to admit while listening he was the better fighter
Yeah I just got back from the fight...Soliman was never really in the fight from the 2nd round onwards. He rallied a bit in the middle rounds and provided alot of movement and flurries while mundine sat back a bit but he never came close to hurting him. Mundine seemed to shake Sam whenever he landed clean though.

Gotta admit I was way wrong in my pick...honestly thought it was a 50/50 fight and i was pulling for soliman to derail the mundine express. Its clear that mundine is one of the hardest punchers in the 168 lb division. He's a freaking monster! I still see a few weaknesses in him and feel that Calzaghe and Kessler would be too much for him...but if he could comfortably drop to 160 like he said then he could really be too much for everyone in that division.

Congrats to the man.