What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soliman still chasing Mundine

otag

Juniors
a heap of footy heads getting in on the boxing game...mundine, hopoate, haumono, willies bro.

gostelow, a melbournian but supporting the maltese rugby league cause it seems. good to see he isnt entrenched in afl mania down there.

malteserugbyleague.com

lance_gostelow_header.JPG
Gostelow wins in two
</STRONG>07 Mar 2007
St Kilda based Lance Gostelow consolidated his position as one of the rising stars in Australian boxing when he scored a second round victory against Filipino Roberto Oyan at the Sydney Entertainment Centre tonight.

Promoters played a game of mix and match with their under card fighters that included Maltese heritage boxers Gostelow and Sydneysider Ronnie Grech, preventing the opportunity for Gostelow to appear on the Main Event telecast and don the Maltese rugby league jersey into the ring.

The ring itself later amazingly collapsed following the main bout as herds of officials and supporters converged on the centrepiece.

However it was Gostelow who eased his way to his tenth victory in succession, despite a twelve month layoff from boxing to recuperate from a hand injury.

Gostelow showed no signs of his time out of the ring as he outpointed his opponent scoring a knockout victory in only the second round.

Scheduled for four three-minute rounds, the doctor ordered a stoppage to the fight as a TKO was incurred.

The victory was Gostelow’s eighth by knockout since his entry onto the professional boxing circuit.

The ‘Baby Faced Assassin’ is primed for a world title fight showdown in Melbourne in coming months against a Cuban opponent.

Gostelow told www.malteserugbyleague.com following tonight’s fight, he looks forward to displaying the Maltese pride of his mother when he steps into the ring next.

lance_gostelow.JPG

Lance Gostelow following his knockout victory

ozbash

Referee
New Zealand heavyweight boxer Shane Cameron braved a suspected broken right hand to retain his unbeaten record at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

With blood streaming from cuts above both eyes, Cameron, 29, notched his 16th knockout in his 18th professional fight to retain his Pan-African heavyweight title against veteran Croatian-born Australian Bob Mirovic.

Cameron flattened Mirovic with a big left hook to the temple 20 seconds from the end of the eighth round on the Anthony Mundine undercard.

In a dramatic fight, Cameron was heard telling his trainers after round one he feared he'd broken his right hand.

Against an opponent 11 years older and 14kg heavier than Cameron who weighed in at 104kg, the New Zealander landed plenty of telling punches but struggled to finish off.

Cameron started strongly with a short right to Mirovic's chin then a combination which signalled a potential early finish, but it came at a cost as he seemingly injured his right hand.

It left Cameron relying on his left jab and the second round was a quiet one as Cameron clearly favoured one side and threw minimal telling punches.

The fifth round became a bloodfest as Mirovic opened a nasty cut above Cameron's right eye but Cameron tagged him with a left hook to the nose to regain the upper hand.

It was Mirovic's 18th loss in his 48th professional bout.

HevyDevy

Coach
Well that was super impressive.

The man has become a truly world class fighter now and he is using his strength a lot better. He used to always be on the back foot, now he stand tall, walks forward and pushes his opponents away. Soliman looked out of his league.

And that right hand - I think Mundine could challenge Kessler now and expect to win. He certainly wouldn't be pushed around like he was last time.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Mundine defeats Soliman via knock-out

Anthony Mundine won his second WBA super middleweight title with a ninth-round stoppage of fellow Australian Sam Soliman in Sydney on Wednesday night.

Mundine, 31, a former rugby league star, put Soliman down once in the second and twice in the ninth round before South African referee Stanley Christodoulou intervened at 2:26 in the ninth round for the vacant title.

Mundine dominated Soliman with superior speed and power and erased any doubts raised by his contentious split points decision win over the same fighter in 2001.

Soliman showed great conditioning and courage to survive beyond the second round as he was stopped for the first time in his ten-year professional career.

Soliman was competitive before Mundine took control with a big right hand in the final minute of the second round.

A staggered Soliman was pushed to the canvas and then slipped to the floor in the third as Mundine went in for the kill.

Soliman appeared to be working his way back into the title bout in the fifth, but Mundine regained control near the end of that round.

Soliman was wobbled late in the sixth as Mundine stuck his tongue out and taunted his battered opponent.

It was Mundine's 28th win (22 by knockout) in 31 bouts.

Mundine previously held the same WBA title in 2003 and 2004 before losing it to Puerto Rican Manny Siaca.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200703/s1865943.htm

Mr Saab

Referee
HevyDevy said:
And that right hand - I think Mundine could challenge Kessler now and expect to win. He certainly wouldn't be pushed around like he was last time.

I think Kessler would still take him.
Kessler had a bad back the last time they fought and was rarely ever in danger.
Sure, Choc has improved alot since that fight, but Kessler is in 1st grade, Choc in premier league.

Utey

Coach
Solo just couldn't get inside. I can't stand Mundine, but it was pretty classy the way he went about his business.

Mundine's defence is rock solid. I still reckon Kessler would give it too him again.

Mong

Post Whore
Mr Saab said:
Sure, Choc has improved alot since that fight, but Kessler is in 1st grade, Choc in premier league.

Oh please.. :roll:

Mundine once again proved last night that he is world class by smashing a world class opponent.. Sam wasn't even in the same ball park as Mundine for class and skill last night.

All hail the black superman...

Godz Illa

Coach
I've watched all of Mundine's fights, and that was easily the most impressive of the lot. Relaxed, patient, brutal and dominant. World champ.

anthonymundine_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

DeeGan

Bench
Likewise Godz Illa - this was more impressive than the Danny Green win and Soliman is respected world wide.

Could Mundine beat Kessler? It would be a good fight, Mundine was bold in defeat last time and is now a better boxer. With that said, Kessler is one hell of a fighter. I hope this fight happens.

What now for Mundine? A big fight in the USA IMO. This win will have pundits sit up and take notice given that Sam Soliman has all the respect in the world over there. This is the guy that was robbed by the judges in the Ronald 'Winky' Wright fight a couple years back - Winky was arguably the best boxer pound for pound in the world at that time.

Hate on Mundine all you want, though you have to respect his ability in the ring.

Steel Dragon

Bench
DeeGan said:
Hate on Mundine all you want, though you have to respect his ability in the ring.

Mundine is a cocky f*cker and I hate him for it - but the bastard can fight, I'll give him that!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
DeeGan said:
Likewise Godz Illa - this was more impressive than the Danny Green win and Soliman is respected world wide.

Could Mundine beat Kessler? It would be a good fight, Mundine was bold in defeat last time and is now a better boxer. With that said, Kessler is one hell of a fighter. I hope this fight happens.

What now for Mundine? A big fight in the USA IMO. This win will have pundits sit up and take notice given that Sam Soliman has all the respect in the world over there. This is the guy that was robbed by the judges in the Ronald 'Winky' Wright fight a couple years back - Winky was arguably the best boxer pound for pound in the world at that time.

the yanks will never host him after what he said about 9/11

don't think he really thought that one through

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Steel Dragon said:
Mundine is a cocky f*cker and I hate him for it - but the bastard can fight, I'll give him that!

my thoughts exactly

he is world class, very mpressive last night

DeeGan

Bench
Twizzle said:
the yanks will never host him after what he said about 9/11

don't think he really thought that one through

Rightly or wrongly, boxing promoters in America (the large majority world wide for that matter) don't hold such a high moral ground and will tend to "forgive and forget" if money can be made in the ring with a "star" boxer.

This win will see Mundine fighting in America - those stupid comments will come back to the fore and will be used to "spin" attention ;-)

Southernsaint

Staff member
DeeGan said:
Rightly or wrongly, boxing promoters in America (the large majority world wide for that matter) don't hold such a high moral ground and will tend to "forgive and forget" if money can be made in the ring with a "star" boxer.

This win will see Mundine fighting in America - those stupid comments will come back to the fore and will be used to "spin" attention ;-)

They let Ivan Drago fight in the US and he hated Capitalism!!

sydraider

First Grade
HevyDevy said:
Well that was super impressive.

The man has become a truly world class fighter now and he is using his strength a lot better. He used to always be on the back foot, now he stand tall, walks forward and pushes his opponents away. Soliman looked out of his league.

He probably wont, the difference between mundine fighting here v fighting o/s is the dollars. A promoter for kessler would probably only offer mundine $500,000.

Hence he comes out with the " kessler is ducking me" catchcry.

Dont tell mong though, he wont hear of such slander for his beloved :lol:

P.S Whilst im here, yes full kudos to mundine, he fought well and deserved the win, he has improved with experience. Yet this would be no surprise to mundine fans, who tagged soliman as a nuffy well before the fight, yet will shower praise on the man, after the fight for beating such a world class opponent, who they didnt rate as such in the first place :lol:

sydraider

First Grade
Mong said:
Oh please.. :roll:

Mundine once again proved last night that he is world class by smashing a world class opponent.. Sam wasn't even in the same ball park as Mundine for class and skill last night.

All hail the black superman...

:lol: According to you, soliman was a nuffy before the fight, now he is world class all of a sudden. :lol:

Mong

Post Whore
Bwahahahahahahaha

Bitter as ever SR.. What happened to all the fun you were going to have in here after it was all over because Sam is a "bloody good fighter" ?

Had a quick scan through the papers and peoples comments for a laugh, from the bitter haters like yourself SR it has ranged from calling sam a local hack and a nobody to people going on abouut Mundine being a dispicable human being..

The haters are a funny bunch, makes me laugh..

All hail the black superman !!

spider

Coach
Mong said:
All hail the black superman !!
when he takes what kesler has - then yes he may be called that.

supermen dont fail do they??? 2nd time lucky maybe for choc???

he is a talent - with a mouth bigger than all the ego's boxing has to offer.

he can box - no doubt

shame he could not be like he was on CH 9 this morning all the time - was actually able to stomach what he said.