What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Rogers.

Wobbygong

First Grade
I just can't believe it, he was only 51 what a massive loss to the league community!

RIP Sludge, my prayers go out to his family.

Shark

Bench
And to think that Opes had that heart scare at a similar age not that long ago...

Can't help but think that the Boss Upstairs took the wrong bloke.

Oops, sorry...a very uncharitable thing to say.

Still...

Thomo.

First Grade
yes a bit of a shock to the system. very sad news indeed. my deepest sympathies lie with his family

Rest in Peace Sludge

Sharkie™

Juniors
yeh this will be very hard on the Rat now, with his mother dying not too long ago from i think it was cancer and now his father. sad day and my deepest sympathises are with steves family.

carcharias

Immortal
Fuck!

What a day to log onto my computer during holidays!

I'm going straight home to have a beer for him.

He was the reason I started following the sharks when I was a kid.

My thoughts are with his family.

Jo Ryan

Juniors
I'm in shock. Great Player. My condolences to the family and all concerned. My thoughts especially with Matt losing both parents so young. Keep your chin up mate.

Shark

Bench
ShArKsMaN said:
...with his mother dying not too long ago from i think it was cancer...

You THINK it was cancer? And you call yourself a Sharks fan? LOL...

For the blow-ins...Carol Rogers had a much publicised battle with Breast Cancer over many many years. Since her death in 2001, Steve has done a heap of charity work raising money for Breast Cancer research.

Mat buried his 2000 RL World Cup medal with her; He also credited discussions he had with his mum on her death bed as being central in his decision to switch codes and play Rugby.

I recall a very emotional moment one night at the footy in 2000. At the presentation, Steve looked up from the stage at Carol, who was sitting just along from us in the auditorium mezzanine. He said he had to give her a special 'welcome back' message, because he was so happy that she was back at the footy. He began to break down as he finished by saying "and I hope that you don't get sick again' or words to that effect.

Sadly, as we all know, she did get sick again.

SadShark

Bench
Saw him play as a kid - superb player. As has been said, win the comp for him this year boys. There is no better motivation.

wattsy32

Juniors
I dont know what to say, R.I.P Sludge, great player and CEO for the club. Will be missed terribly

Shark

Bench
SadShark said:
Saw him play as a kid - superb player. As has been said, win the comp for him this year boys. There is no better motivation.

If our blokes can't find a bit of heart and soul this year, then they never will.

EVERY game has to be played with the passion shown in our final game of 2005.

How fitting it was, that in the final game Sludge saw our boys play, they were wearing the playing strip that he made his own.

Sharkie™

Juniors
Shark said:
You THINK it was cancer? And you call yourself a Sharks fan? LOL...

For the blow-ins...Carol Rogers had a much publicised battle with Breast Cancer over many many years. Since her death in 2001, Steve has done a heap of charity work raising money for Breast Cancer research.

Mat buried his 2000 RL World Cup medal with her; He also credited discussions he had with his mum on her death bed as being central in his decision to switch codes and play Rugby.

I recall a very emotional moment one night at the footy in 2000. At the presentation, Steve looked up from the stage at Carol, who was sitting just along from us in the auditorium mezzanine. He said he had to give her a special 'welcome back' message, because he was so happy that she was back at the footy. He began to break down as he finished by saying "and I hope that you don't get sick again' or words to that effect.

Sadly, as we all know, she did get sick again.

sorry im not up to date with her personal battle i didnt want to say something that i wasnt sure off, i consider myself as a sharks fan in the capcity that i like to know whats happening on the field to the players i know..

RockyShark

Juniors
Sad news - don't have too many memories of him playing (not quite old enough) which is a pity. Condolences to the Rogers family.

Shark

Bench
ShArKsMaN said:
sorry im not up to date with her personal battle i didnt want to say something that i wasnt sure off, i consider myself as a sharks fan in the capcity that i like to know whats happening on the field to the players i know..

No problem mate. Happy to fill you in on the backgrounds of the people and events (good and bad) that helped make our club what it is.

Carol was a HUGE part of the club at all levels, always happy to have a chat and, before her health battle, a drink with anyone who loved the club the way she did.

andrew flap

Bench
RIP God. Gone too soon.

Condolences to his family and friends.

The best player IMHO to ever don our colours. He was my childhood hero. I used to sneak into his sports store in Sutho as a nipper and try to catch a glimpse of the man.

Vale.

A black day indeed.

Let's get this years title for Sludge.

Sharkie™

Juniors
seriously this should deffinately be the year of the sharks. the boys need to fire up and bring that title home. this tragedy should show them all that u dont live forever and that u should take the oppourtunities u get. we have a team with a good mix of experience and youth and if sludges passing can motivate them they will be all the better for it because he lived a shark and he died a shark.

Sharkie™

Juniors
Shark said:
No problem mate. Happy to fill you in on the backgrounds of the people and events (good and bad) that helped make our club what it is.

Carol was a HUGE part of the club at all levels, always happy to have a chat and, before her health battle, a drink with anyone who loved the club the way she did.

thats for that fill in mate, when u dont live in the shire u tend to miss a bit.

givmeabeer

Juniors
Sludge your a champion mate. thanks for the great memories I will never forget them. I'm going over to the Woni RSL for those few beers we were gonna have over the break my friend..

Cheers mate!!
Stevie

Shark

Bench
givmeabeer said:
Sludge your a champion mate. thanks for the great memories I will never forget them. I'm going over to the Woni RSL for those few beers we were gonna have over the break my friend..

Cheers mate!!
Stevie

Geez, how's it gonna be sitting in the ET Lower without Sludge there, Stevie?

Just not the same. Hope you're holding up OK buddy...I know how close you and 'the other Steve' were. Remember that game when I was calling out to you and Sludge thought I was calling him? LOL, he had a laugh when he realised it was you I was looking for...Gold.

Take it easy mate.