What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team named

TheRev

First Grade
How do you know Steve Price isn't thinking the same thing with the changes he is trying to implement?

It was never going to happen over night, we were never going to be the same team without Bennett.

Give the bloke some time ffs he's been there 10 months.

What Changes? I sympathise with Price, he is in a tough situation… and for what it’s worth Bennett was just as stubborn (i.e. Scott/Prior @ Centre).

But, do you recall Kyle @ Fullback? It was clearly wrong, not just a development issue, it was completely & utterly broken, and the only reason he eventually let up and tried someone else, was forced through injury. Remember how much better we looked once it happened? The whole team lifted.

It’s really no different with Vidot (@Wing) & Kyle (@Centre) now, fundamentally broken in these positions, but seemingly he has no intent to make the necessary changes. The experimentation had to happen early in the season (to give players time to develop and find combinations), and when Soward was injured.. it was the perfect time to try something (with minimal risk) such as Kyle at 5/8, but although understandable.. he went with the super safe short-term option of Fien to 5/8.

End of the day I obviously realise its easy for us ‘super keyboard coaches’ to make changes without knowing the players personally & without consequence of losing our jobs if we get it wrong.. but I think the actions on the field speaks volumes, and I don’t care if Price gets it wrong, I just want him to try something.

Elias1983

Coach
What Changes? I sympathise with Price, he is in a tough situation… and for what it’s worth Bennett was just as stubborn (i.e. Scott/Prior @ Centre).

But, do you recall Kyle @ Fullback? It was clearly wrong, not just a development issue, it was completely & utterly broken, and the only reason he eventually let up and tried someone else, was forced through injury. Remember how much better we looked once it happened? The whole team lifted.

It’s really no different with Vidot (@Wing) & Kyle (@Centre) now, fundamentally broken in these positions, but seemingly he has no intent to make the necessary changes. The experimentation had to happen early in the season (to give players time to develop and find combinations), and when Soward was injured.. it was the perfect time to try something (with minimal risk) such as Kyle at 5/8, but although understandable.. he went with the super safe short-term option of Fien to 5/8.

End of the day I obviously realise its easy for us ‘super keyboard coaches’ to make changes without knowing the players personally & without consequence of losing our jobs if we get it wrong.. but I think the actions on the field speaks volumes, and I don’t care if Price gets it wrong, I just want him to try something.

I'm talking about the changes in attack he is trying to implement. Where he has soward and hornby on either side of the playing field.

Yeh fair enough he made the mistake with Stanley but at least he tried, But also he did have Morris in mind for fullback because against the Tigers when Morris killed it, Morris said after the game that Price had him trainig in fullback in the off-season.

So you need to give price a little credit for the fact that he even thought of backing stanley up with morris.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I believe in Steve Price, he has tried to implement the necessary changes in attack, at the moment we just drop too much ball.

dreaming! Price is not up to it. We have another 12 months of crap coaching before we get the balls to replace him. I hope but doubt I am wrong!

Minh

First Grade
dreaming! Price is not up to it. We have another 12 months of crap coaching before we get the balls to replace him. I hope but doubt I am wrong!

The only thing I'm critical with Pricey is that he wont give the backs that he brought in a real go, especially after a few bad performances he should experiment a bit more. We need to inject attacking players like Kemp and even Goodwin give them a shot.

redvwhite

Juniors
If I was Steve price id be making make or break changes for this match.

1. Morris
2. Goodwin
3. Vidot
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. King
7. Soward
8. Hunt
9. Rein
10. Latimore
11. Marketo
12. De Belin
13. Young

14. Vea
15. Stockwell
16. Gower
17. K Stanley

Bring back choc

Juniors
If I was Steve price id be making make or break changes for this match.

1. Morris
2. Goodwin
3. Vidot
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. King
7. Soward
8. Hunt
9. Rein
10. Latimore
11. Marketo
12. De Belin
13. Young

14. Vea
15. Stockwell
16. Gower
17. K Stanley

If chase Stanley is going to get a go I would try him on the wing. Why not... He's quick, and a strong runner. Vidot to centre. Goodwin is a good finisher but im a fan of strong running wingers.

Mr Red

First Grade
I believe in Steve Price, he has tried to implement the necessary changes in attack, at the moment we just drop too much ball.

we drop the ball too much because of Prices changes to the attack...
Bennetts game plan played to our strengths... very solid defence, and a very simple but effective attack..
we dont have the players to play an attacking style like the tigers or rabbits.. but Price persists on trying to get them to attack more.. we simply cant do it...
you dont own a holden an try to make it run like a ferrari....
we need a halfback in order to implement Prices game plan more effectively..

Mr Red

First Grade
You're saying the coach is to blame when a player drops the ball. Can you elaborate on that?

was in reference to trying to play at a more skillful level in attack under Price but without the skill level of the players to match.
the more passes and intricate plays you try to incorporate into your game plan the more chance of disorganisation and dropped balls, since we dont have the quality of player to pull off the game plan, hence in my opinion the increased amount of dropped balls and general confusion and mistake rates from players that have been relatively safe the last three seasons under a more controlled game plan from Bennett..

Mr Red

First Grade
So to summarise, you're saying the players aren't up to the task?

i am saying that you need a game plan and tactics which play to the players strengths.
i believe Price is trying to implement a game plan which doesnt play to their strengths and thus the amount of errors and dis-organisation has increased this season.

The dropped balls by Vidot are not a result of intricate plays. That is a fundamental skill. He would have dropped those even if Bennett was coaching us in a controlled game plan.

Godz Illa

Coach
I think you're a bit too swift to blame the coach. I don't recall seeing any errors directly as a result of these "elaborate" or "intricate" plays. They were impact drops or cold drops. I'll have to watch it again

And as for organisation... obviously it's difficult in the early stages of a new combo and a new scheme. It's had to change in the absence of Darius (and Gaz). Our attack was criticised in the early part of 2009 too, when new players came in.

Mr Red

First Grade
I think you're a bit too swift to blame the coach. I don't recall seeing any errors directly as a result of these "elaborate" or "intricate" plays. They were impact drops or cold drops. I'll have to watch it again

And as for organisation... obviously it's difficult in the early stages of a new combo and a new scheme. It's had to change in the absence of Darius (and Gaz). Our attack was criticised in the early part of 2009 too, when new players came in.
the obvious standout things that have changed in my opinion are the following:

1. 6 tackle plays are awful now, seem to take the wrong option more
2. kicking game gone backwards
3. inability to build pressure due to not being able to construct a controlled set of 6.
4. the speed of the defensive line is a lot slower now, allowing teams to get out of their 20 very easily
5. play the ball speed also a lot slower making it harder to get any roll on.
6. forwards running a lot more one out then previous seasons
7. little if no second phase play now compared to previous seasons.

these are the same players that have been delivering for the last 3 years... guys like soward, creagh, Morris, Hunt, Scott have all dropped in form and its not due to age with any of these guys... my thoughts are that they are trying to follow a game plan which doesnt suit... swapping attacking sides of the field of Hornby and soward is a prime example of a coaching strategy which hasnt delivered any benefit.

Elias1983

Coach
Give price some time. I think he does hav the potential.

However saying that, If we are in the same position this time next year then you start thinking of replacing him becasue by that time he would have had enough time to effect change and if it's not happening then we don't want another Nathan Brown situation where he outstayed his welcome by about 2years.

For now support him let's see what happens.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
i am saying that you need a game plan and tactics which play to the players strengths.
No, you said the coach was implementing a level of attack that was beyond the players' skill level.

"was in reference to trying to play at a more skillful level in attack under Price but without the skill level of the players to match." said you.

Perhaps you've had a re-think.