What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Tigers

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I hope the Waikato Stadium (FMG, whatever) go nuts for the Tigers when they come out. Only side in the competition who handed their home game over to NZ, when (I think) plenty of others made all the noises but didn't. Gus Gould said we should play our entire season here, but I remember us playing the Dogs in Sydney. Nuff said.

Blair

Coach
As someone who lived in Huntly I can say with authority that the Waikato deserves NRL games...
OK, I get it now, I was wrong. Hamilton - the Waikato - is a city and region in its own right, and it's not its fault that it has the colossus of the north pushing down on it.

I have a Turangawaewae Rugby League hooded top, which I found dumped outside an op-shop during the Covid years. I'll wear it on Friday.

I also remember Huntly's Rusty Campbell from back in the Inter-District/National Club Competition days, circa 1983. Shown on TVNZ Sport.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I live just off the border of the Waikato (literally less than a km off it) and the Waikato absolutely deserves this game, not only for what Sup has said but also that it is a city that does events well. They attend sport very well. They have good facilities, FMG (Waikato) Stadium is so easy to get in and out of. This prompted me to look for tickets, and they're all sold out. Bastard.

I went to the last game (?) at Waikato Stadium, v the Dragons. Unfortunately this was, I want to say around 2017, at a time where we sucked. We got absolutely drubbed. Funnily enough, there was a very green CNK at centre that day, and he got massively shown up. He's come a long way

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
As someone who lived in Huntly I can say with authority that the Waikato deserves NRL games.

I was lucky enough to see Taine Tuaupiki running around looking like Billie Slater in the club comps.

Everyone knew he was waaayyy to good for Waikato league....and it is ironic that he is built like the Huntly Hurricane.

Huntly Ngaruawahia is grass roots NZ League...the home of multiple stars from a tiny out the back of nowhere NZ club comp....names like Lance Hohaia, Tawera Nikau and Te Maire Martin we all know, but the roots go much deeper than that.

My Great uncle from Huntly played for St George in 1922 and was the first foreigner to play in the NRL. A record no one can ever take away from Huntly and the Waikato. None of you have ever heard of him, but in the Waikato his name is discussed with reverence among the fanatics of the sport to this day.

So yeah Waikato deserve games, They have the rugby league heartland street cred to demand the NRL shows them respect. The Waikato was talking NRL one hundred years ago when the rest of New Zealand had little or no knowledge it existed...even before the legendary
West coast miners of the South Island, the coal Miners of Huntly had a miner playing in the NRL for the second ever season of the new club the St George Dragons.

The thing is, the Warriors are on fire in the Waikato this year and it is timely that a game be taken to the most important Warriors Nursery outside of Auckland...well done Tigers...next time Warriors take a game there eh because the Waikato faithful have been waiting for the Warriors who are only a short bus ride away to respect the neighbors.

Backwater Waikato is league through and through, the Warriors know this yet they treat the Waikato like another suburb of Auckland, why that is I will never understand, I can only put it down to ignorance....like Auckland forgot every man woman and child south of the Bombays is bred to hate them.and therefore as a franchise business calling themselves the NZ Warriors they should be tying to promote the brand hard in the rregions starting with the Waikato since working in their nearest region would greatly expand the game of Rugby Leagues in Cheifs country and serve as business model of how to thrive in Union New Zealand.
Great insights mate. I knew Ngaruawahia-Taupiri-Huntly is solid league territory and I’m guessing all those little mining places out the back of that region and up towards Port Waikato are too. What about South Waikato and over Morrinsville/Matamata way?
one thing that’s always been kinda fascinating about league is how intensely tribal it is with the sport really concentrated around certain areas and industries, particularly mining and the waterfront. Hence NZs old school strongholds being the port of Auckland and the Waikato and West Coast mines, before it caught on with the Polynesian/Māori communities in South Auckland, Wainuiomata, Porirua etc.

Meth

Staff member
Bunty out of favour?

bunty has been clinging onto his spot in the team all year, at least in the fans’ eyes. Personally, I like him and I think he has a niche role. But Tevaga has taken his spot. I don’t quite get it- I would have him over Sironen, who admittedly has been going ok.

Reactions: Izz

Izz

Bench
I'm definitely of the opinion we need Bunty. He's a big body who's done a great job of soaking up early opposition middle forward intensity, both offensively & defensively.

Case in point when Ale started instead of Bunty the other week. Was very ineffective.

Bunty starting, imo, is the key to our forward pack being able to play at the same high energy levels for the entire 80 & lifting even higher when needed.

Tevaga has lots of energy, for sure, but he can't do the job Bunty does. Barnett kind of can but imo it'd be better if he came on after 20 & ripped into his work

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah Bunty has a very specific and useful skill set and I think it’s only really been properly worked out this year. Great for tough carries in the opening exchanges combined with a high defensive workload and good lateral mobility for a big guy.

Izz

Bench
have unblocked ads but still can't give likes (or use emojis so just imagine an angry face emoji here)...

Anyway, just know that if I could give posts likes I'd be giving posts likes. Yeah...

Izz

Bench
I mean, that lineup should be good enough to beat the Tigers but if we carry that bench into the playoffs I think we'll struggle

Rich102

Staff member
I just don't get the Jazz love. Did nothing against the Tigers except hog the ball and use up tackles.
Time for a ABJ thread?
On the other hand Bunty and Ale had good games in reserves and Going who is a more skillful Jazz.

GoSouths

Juniors
Did Walker get an injury during the game as well? But yeah, the Bald Brothers isnt a thing at the moment.

GoSouths

Juniors

Wade looks to be ok. AFB had an ankle issue at the end but should be ok. SJ has a quad injury which was affecting him during goalkicking.
"Concentration issues" is the main theme. It would be incredibly hard to keep out all the buzz from family/friends around each player who are expecting finals footy. The team cant live in a bubble so they need to learn to switch on properly for a game. Some like Harris and AFB are obviously handling the mental aspect well but others arent. Next week at Mt Smart will be very interesting.

Latest posts