What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Knights

Hov

Juniors
What do Bunty and Ale offer? Bunty has had multiple chances and really hasn't proved himself over and above our bench on the weekend. Ale does have upside as a more aggressive runner but will be too underdone to come in in a sudden death game. I do agree Lussick is an interesting selection and clearly a contingency for Wade. Our forward passing more at the line is the key to generate more ruck speed and space. This was definitely missing against Penrith but clearly supports Websters team selections. Definitely need more Curran though

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
What do Bunty and Ale offer? Bunty has had multiple chances and really hasn't proved himself over and above our bench on the weekend. Ale does have upside as a more aggressive runner but will be too underdone to come in in a sudden death game. I do agree Lussick is an interesting selection and clearly a contingency for Wade. Our forward passing more at the line is the key to generate more ruck speed and space. This was definitely missing against Penrith but clearly supports Websters team selections. Definitely need more Curran though
Bunty has a pretty specific role IMO. Soaks up the punishment in the initial exchanges and has a big defensive motor if he’s needed later in the game. Ale is kinda the opposite, he’s there to add punch at the back end.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
As I said on the other thread we need to go Volkman, TMM and Walker back to his usual spot. But did I read another poster who said Walker has already committed to TMM and Walker?

Also, more than two props.

Also, sucks that the Warriors didn't look after their season ticket holders, that's B/S. Or is it due to the NRL (as they run these games?)

Not a direct quote, so it might be a bit of creative license but it says Webster would back TMM and Walker again

Izz

Bench
I agree that Bunty and Ale aren't elite props. Ale still getting his first-grade legs, while Bunty has probably reached his ceiling. But out of our available resources, imo Bunty at least is a far better option than what we've been rolling out. He adds defensive starch, for one. He can actually stop guys, take the wind out of them, not just wrap them up ala Sironen. And he very rarely gets dominated on a hitup. He might not make massive post contact metres but you don't see him getting driven back. He's good for absorbing early punishment as @SpaceMonkey said and for tiring the opposition middles out.

Start him at prop, bring Barnett off the bench after 20 minutes, and we'll get back to owning the middle, or at least getting parity against the top teams, which is something we haven't really done for some time.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Hope Shaun can play

2011 was his last good performance in a finals match so would be nice to see if he can round off his season and if he has that in him this year

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Surprised there is no Volkman - so it’s either SJ/TMM or Walker/TMM
Me too. That's what was reported he would go with, but Volkman and the kicking game makes so much more sense. I can't believe Webster watched that last week and thought it would be the right halves partnership to beat the Knights, if SJ is no good.

PLEASE RUGBY LEAGUE GODS LET SHAUN PLAY

Me too. That's what was reported he would go with, but Volkman and the kicking game makes so much more sense. I can't believe Webster watched that last week and thought it would be the right halves partnership to beat the Knights, if SJ is no good.

PLEASE RUGBY LEAGUE GODS LET SHAUN PLAY
While your asking them, make sure he doesn't pull/strain his calf during the game as well. :D

Meth

Staff member
Also, regretting that we didn't do something to address our left-edge frailties when we had the chance. Montoya is hopeless and I'm sick of watching Pompey get targeted and burnt for pace that he does not have. Let's be honest- we're not winning a Premiership with Pompey/Montoya

Also, regretting that we didn't do something to address our left-edge frailties when we had the chance. Montoya is hopeless and I'm sick of watching Pompey get targeted and burnt for pace that he does not have. Let's be honest- we're not winning a Premiership with Pompey/Montoya
And that is Knights strike side as well.
It sometime does come from the inside as well if spacing isn't right by the 3rd man. Walker was shooting out of the line, TMM can be caught turning in, but generally Pompey's spacing doesn't feel right.
I felt Curran at 3rd man added some experience in that area in the Dolphins game.

Rich102

Staff member
That team isn't going in full of confidence. May be a good thing.
Maybe Webster is showing his confidence in his players but if they don't perform he is going to be delivering the Mt Smart faithfull and the rest of NZ a sad end to the season.

ozenzud

Juniors
Webster is nothing but consistent. Walker has been great when coming off the bench. Last week he must have made 10 try saving tackles when defending wide. But much, much better off the bench and defending in the middle.

Knights absolutely sure to have Pongia running at Pompey's side. I hope they have a plan.

Sironen is there for his versatility obviously. He was so mud against Dolphins.

Leber

Bench
Knights have 3 bench props while we have none.

Is Webby hoping their backs will get injured or something? If it becomes a battle of the forwards or one of our props goes down we are f**ked.

ozenzud

Juniors
Knights have 3 bench props while we have none.

Is Webby hoping their backs will get injured or something? If it becomes a battle of the forwards or one of our props goes down we are f**ked.
Agree that its a risk. AFB and Barnett play big minutes. But concussions and or injury put us in a tight spot. Curran has played front row at times. Tevaga fills in there and Harris can as well I guess.