What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That is why origin > tests

Springs

First Grade
LOL You honestly believe players think playing for Australia is the highest honour? Compared to putting on a Blue or Maroon jersey?
Do you see players battling nerves and throwing up before a test match?

Like I said, test/int football should be but it IS NOT.

Uh yes, they say so themselves. And yes, players would obviously battle nerves before a test match. What, do you think an inexperienced test player in his first few games just goes out and plays like it's in his backyard?

Do you think English, New Zealand, French, Welsh and all other rugby league countries think the blue or maroon jersey is the highest honour? Of course they f**king don't.

You really don't understand what a pinnacle is do you. By saying Origin is the highest form of Rugby League you are devaluing all the great players from before 1980 who represented Australia. Saying playing for Australia is worth less than playing for state devalues all other Australian reps in all other sports as well. The green and gold is the highest honour in all Australian sports, including Rugby League.

I have said before, some Origin matches would have been the highest quality games we have ever seen, but it does not make the concept the pinnacle of Rugby League. It is an insult to all other players from outside NSW and QLD. The quality doesn't matter, the level of representation does.

hutch

First Grade
LOL You honestly believe players think playing for Australia is the highest honour? Compared to putting on a Blue or Maroon jersey?
Do you see players battling nerves and throwing up before a test match?

Like I said, test/int football should be but it IS NOT.

So it's only Australian players who decide what the pinnacle of their sport is? Sh*t, somebody better tell benji Marshall or Sam tomkins that they cant compete in the pinnacle of their chosen sport. Or the French, png players and fans that they or their countrymen can never reach the pinnacle of their chosen sport because that mantle is taken by two Australian states. Please, what a joke!

Fire

First Grade
Nothing wrong with Origin the way it is. You were told before this was a shit idea......except it

it's a shit idea

No need to try and bring it back to life every couple of weeks .......:roll:

I think it is a great idea. 'The game' (which I have also mentioned before is not a settled definition) is way too precious to some people. They do not wish to see 'The Game' go through any significant changes.

1. There is a New Zealand team in the NRL, so why not in Origin.
2. We already share (arguably) our most emotional public holiday with New Zealand, why not share Origin with New Zealand.
3. NSW and QLD would still play each other, so, you'd still get your irrational hate fix.

You don't have to agree with me. I was simply stating my observation. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have no doubt there are people who think 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. And I cannot argue with them.

Springs

First Grade
That argument would be valid if the quality of football in tests was better than Origin. Fact is it isn't.

It actually is a lot of the time. The tests from 2008-10 were much better than those year's respective Origin games. 2011 Origin was better and this year there aren't enough tests to compare.

Shorty

Staff member
Uh yes, they say so themselves. And yes, players would obviously battle nerves before a test match. What, do you think an inexperienced test player in his first few games just goes out and plays like it's in his backyard?

Do you think English, New Zealand, French, Welsh and all other rugby league countries think the blue or maroon jersey is the highest honour? Of course they f**king don't.

You really don't understand what a pinnacle is do you. By saying Origin is the highest form of Rugby League you are devaluing all the great players from before 1980 who represented Australia. Saying playing for Australia is worth less than playing for state devalues all other Australian reps in all other sports as well. The green and gold is the highest honour in all Australian sports, including Rugby League.

I have said before, some Origin matches would have been the highest quality games we have ever seen, but it does not make the concept the pinnacle of Rugby League. It is an insult to all other players from outside NSW and QLD. The quality doesn't matter, the level of representation does.
The fact of the matter is pinnacle can be used a number of ways.
Don't speak to me like I'm a dumb*ss because I don't agree with your stance on international football.

If you're speaking about pinnacle in terms of technicality well yes you've got it there but what other arguments do you have?
Crowds, ratings, playing quality, intensity can all be taken into account as well.
Just because you have decided for yourself the criteria of 'pinnacle' doesn't mean it is.

And they say that because it's the right thing to say but f**k, players eyes light up when they speak about their state, when they win a series, when they talk about it - It's as clear as day mate.

And I don't mean to insult other countries but the fact of the matter is - SOO sells out stadiums, has massive ratings, has an international viewing and is a massive representative game for the sport.

If you want to argue til you're black and blue about a technicality then go ahead - But only hardcore Int RL fans would agree.
And it's unrealistic.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Don't speak to me like I'm a dumb*ss because I don't agree with your stance on international football.

If you're speaking about pinnacle in terms of technicality well yes you've got it there but what other arguments do you have?
Crowds, ratings, playing quality, intensity can all be taken into account as well.
Just because you have decided for yourself the criteria of 'pinnacle' doesn't mean it is.

And they say that because it's the right thing to say but f**k, players eyes light up when they speak about their state, when they win a series, when they talk about it - It's as clear as day mate.

And I don't mean to insult other countries but the fact of the matter is - SOO sells out stadiums, has massive ratings, has an international viewing and is a massive representative game for the sport.

If you want to argue til you're black and blue about a technicality then go ahead - But only hardcore Int RL fans would agree.
And it's unrealistic.

So you prefer Home Alone 2, then as a pinnacle? Many juveniles did. You have good company.

The RLWC is the pinnacle, not on a technicality, but because it declares the World Champions. If origin was the pinnacle, you'd win all international matches since 1980. But you havn't. And you won't.

Internationals, playing for your country, is the highest honour. It is the pinnacle.

Surely any team beating QLD+NSW is a greater achievement and at a higher level than beating only QLD or NSW.

Maybe Jamie Peacock should have knocked out a few more Aussies and Manu gone toe to toe with 8 Australians, then you'd get it.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
When was the last time 3 Aust v NZ games in a row sold out?

In 1992, Home Alone 2 made over 350 million at the Box office and sold out theatres far and wide and for a longer time. Far, far, far more more viewers than Unforgiven or A Few Good Men.
Which were the better films in your opinion?

228071.jpg

Shorty

Staff member
In your opinion Lag, stop stating sh*t as fact.
And stop with the references to movies, you come off looking even loopier than you are!

Here's an analogy for you - SOO pays the rent, until Int Game starts earning it's share (as in actual decent games, Kiwis backing up performances and doing decently in tests, England the same) - SOO is the boss.

Aragorn

First Grade
Is playing in the NBA the pinnacle of basket ball or is it playing for your country?

same analogy to rugby league.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
In your opinion Lag, stop stating sh*t as fact.
No its a fact Home ALone 2 made more than the other films.

And stop with the references to movies, you come off looking even loopier than you are!
Inductive logical reasoning by analogy is not loopy.

Here's an analogy for you - SOO pays the rent, until Int Game starts earning it's share (as in actual decent games, Kiwis backing up performances and doing decently in tests, England the same) - SOO is the boss.
Joe Pesci did Home Alone 2 to pay the bills, Goodfellas was his pinnacle.

In 1992, Home Alone 2 made over 350 million at the Box office. Far, far, far more more viewers than Unforgiven or A Few Good Men.
Which were the better films in your opinion?

228071.jpg

Aragorn

First Grade
Actually, for the NBA its akin to the east vs west allstar conference weekend vs playing for your country...

Shorty

Staff member
LOL Do you want to use that pic more? Yes we're all very proud of your microsoft paint job.
I notice you ignored my comment about continuing to bring up the past with not a peep about the future.

Aragorn you can also use it to a lesser degree with Tennis, with a gold medal/Davis Cup rather than a GS win.

Springs

First Grade

And it's unrealistic.

How is it a technicality? Test football is the highest form. A pinnacle is the highest point of something is it not? Please tell me how representing Australia is below representing New South Wales? Because of TV ratings?? Please.

An Australian rep jersey is the highest rep honour an Australian can get. NSW and QLD players compete for green and gold jerseys. Australian players don't compete for blue and maroon jerseys. 34 Australian players play Origin. 17 play for Australia. How is that not the pinnacle? The Australian team includes the BEST of the 34 Origin players. How then, is Origin a higher form? It is not.

If we wanted to talk about ratings and fans and all that I could easily say the Grand Final or the Challenge Cup Final is the pinnacle of the game. A player would say a premiership with his team mates is the pinnacle of the game.
78,000 attended the Challenge Cup final last year, 42,000 the test match at Wembley. Does that mean that playing in the Cup final is a higher honour than an England jersey? Because of attendance??

And I can easily say playing quality of tests often equals or surpasses that of Origin matches. Intensity doesn't mean anything. A club game can have more intensity than a test or Origin.

It's the right thing to say because it's right. You just proved to yourself that a test jersey is the highest honour. Who cares if players eyes light up? I can tell you Paul Gallen holds his Australian series wins higher than his Origin series wins...

'Only hardcore Int RL fans will agree' Huh? All English, NZ, French etc fans think Origin is the highest form of the game? Bullshit. Only fans who don't care about the game outside of NSW and QLD will agree with you.

Springs

First Grade
Also if you think ratings, attendances, fans etc are an indication of quality then you might as well say AFL is a better sport. It's the same argument.

Shorty

Staff member
Oh dear, lol you're actually contesting that SOO is not the breadwinner, deluded.

Springs

First Grade
When was the last time 3 Aust v NZ games in a row sold out?

That doesn't mean anything! Christ you might as well say 'when was the last time 3 Dragons vs Bulldogs games sold out? See, Collingwood vs Essendon is better'. It's the same argument used by AFL fans now being used by Rugby league fans, the same fans that argue rugby league is a better sport even with less crowds and ratings.

Springs

First Grade
Oh dear, lol you're actually contesting that SOO is not the breadwinner, deluded.

No need to insult people just because your argument is flawed. Go act like a f**khead somewhere else if you think people who disagree with you are deluded.