What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ayshford appreciation thread.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
so why do they all defend badly together?

is it the system, or are they poor in defence, if so why are they all grouped in the same spot?
you find that Defenders position is based on those either side of them. If a centre doesn't move up (AYshford) then the next defender in does not commit to a tackle, that usually helps draw the centre and the next inside defender and create a 2 on 1 opportunity for the attacking team against the defending sides winger.

Luke Brooks is a poor defender, but he commits to a tackle and its enough to force the attacker to pass early and prevent an overlap.

Carney tends to be running across as a cover defender more than anything, and as he is never committed to tackling anyone, it helps the attacking side to create an overlap.

Ayshford hesitates, as I said, based on his bad habit at the Tigers when he had to cover for Moltzen's crap inside defence. He was wrong to do it then, and he's still doing it now.

So you have Carney in the front line, running towards the wing, not the attacker, acting like a cover defender, Ayshford standing back to cover his inside (which the sliding defence can cover)

This forces the winger to follow Ayshford so as to try and prevent a gap between centre and winger, but it creates an overlap.

If the inside defenders slide faster, it will prevent Ayshford from heading in field.
If Carney runs to an attacker and attempts a tackle, he'll force an early pass and prevent Ayshford going in-field.

Card Shark

Immortal
got me beat. As I said, i'd put Robson on Ayshford's side, or at least put Carney further in-field where front rowers can cover for him much easier and put Morris out near Ayshford.

How about we just drop him to avoid further confusion !

Weaponhead

Coach
Carney has been defending 3 in on the right edge - outside Sopoaga and inside Ayshford. Neither Ayshford or Sop are good communicators (or decision makers) it seems. Carney is struggling in contact, goes too high and is brushed off easily. Sop and Ayshford are getting draged out of position easily, perhaps trying to cover these misses.

If Carney and Robson swapped. Carney would be outside Wade Graham and inside Leutele. Graham is better equipped to act as a minder in the same way as Toni Carroll did for Lockyer. Leutele seems to be making better decisions and shutting down play better than Ayshford.

Putting Robson on the right will mean there is an experienced, solid one-on-one defender in between Ayshford and Sop. It will allow them to focus more on their own jobs and less on covering Carney.

When Luke Lewis is back the right edge will look stronger as he is a top line defender

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Carney has been defending 3 in on the right edge - outside Sopoaga and inside Ayshford. Neither Ayshford or Sop are good communicators (or decision makers) it seems. Carney is struggling in contact, goes too high and is brushed off easily. Sop and Ayshford are getting draged out of position easily, perhaps trying to cover these misses.

If Carney and Robson swapped. Carney would be outside Wade Graham and inside Leutele. Graham is better equipped to act as a minder in the same way as Toni Carroll did for Lockyer. Leutele seems to be making better decisions and shutting down play better than Ayshford.

Putting Robson on the right will mean there is an experienced, solid one-on-one defender in between Ayshford and Sop. It will allow them to focus more on their own jobs and less on covering Carney.

When Luke Lewis is back the right edge will look stronger as he is a top line defender
You'd also find that Carney would have less traffic running at him because he'd be surrounded by good defenders.

Whereas now he's surrounded by two poor defenders, so he is in the middle of the Sharkest weakest spot in defence, which means plenty of players will be running at that section time and time again.

Carney doesn't need to make big tackles, just commit to a tackle. It can be enough to force an early pass and prevent an overlap. That situation is much easier to defend.

Weaponhead

Coach
Agreed. The right edge is a real weakness that both Newcastle and Manly have exploited easily. IMO - Carney is going too high and is easily pushed off by strong runners. He is getting spotted because they can either break his tackles or offload.

He has the physicality to make tackles. Perhaps he is gun shy due to injuries.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Players run at carney because Sopoage is on his inside and Ayshford will more often than not, commit to Carney's tackle.

It provides options either side of the ruck in that area. It's a gold mine. If you put a strong defender between them (Morris or Robson for example), that weak spot is immensely strengthened.

Since 73

First Grade
I usually have the come back ready before I ask the question. Thought you'd know that by now LOL

BTW 2 of those 3 games were against the Sharks and we won them both.
We do need more information on this.

The brain cells l have left do recall seeing him being very impressive in that position.

Long range tries and media headlines.

I think the term 'the second coming' was even used.

Frenzy.

Immortal

The brain cells l have left do recall seeing him being very impressive in that position.

No, sorry, Gordon didn't score any tries in his three games at centre.

Sharks 40-12 Round 8 2006
Sharks 18-0 Round 1 2007
Penwiff 40 Dogs 10 Round 2 2007

Now stop trying to take the mickey.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

Maybe you were thinking of Blake Ayshford

Since 73

First Grade
Every game.

Every opposition.

Every opponent.

Every play.

He is outplayed.

He ran around for 75 minutes tonite and did f**kall. Then Toops puts him thru a hole.
He finds himself in foreign territory..... In the clear.

So he props and just throws a girls pass to noone.

And when Hayne worked a play thru him down the left in the first half ...... Gayshford chase for 50 metres before throwing himself like a ragdoll at thin air.

Strange player.

Indeed.

Good one Flanno you f**king joke. Hope you watched Peachey play yesterday.