What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2009

Lego_Man

First Grade
A lot of weak sh*t there.

They completely ignored the elephant in the room: which is the willingness of the female parties in these acts, and the right of players to indulge in whatever legal sexual practices they like.

Lego_Man

First Grade
No, it's a lot of PC crap.

I thought at least Gould was going to be a hard c**k and point out all the flaws in what had happened so far in the persecution of Matty (particularly the workmate revelations). Fact if Matty comes out in a couple of months and sets the record straight, noone will care, the only thing theyll remember is his public fall from grace.

He needed the footy show to fight for him tonight, and they failed him.

Oh and i thought Fatty's comment about naming and shaming the senior NRL player who said that the gangbangs will go on was ridiculous. And noone touched the issue of willing groupies and legal consensual acts which was clearly the elephant in the room. Until then the players are only going to become more resentful.

All theyre doing is introducing a "forbidden fruit" factor for young men which IMO will increase the practice.

bartman

Immortal
A lot of weak sh*t there.

They completely ignored the elephant in the room: which is the willingness of the female parties in these acts, and the right of players to indulge in whatever legal sexual practices they like.
That's precisely because their point is that it's an elephant outside the room - one the league is powerless to do anything about. The game can't change how some women relate to footy players, but they can change how footy players relate to those women.

The game must focus on things it can influence and change, not bitch and moan about things it can't control.

JTR

Juniors
Sam Newman a few minutes ago on AFL Footy Show...

"Now, just before we go to the break, I want you to listen to this, and listen carefully and don't misconstrue what I'm gonna say. And what I'm about to say doesn't require applause or derision. We feel we should say this.

There's a woman in New Zealand, who is doing it tough at the minute, and we wish her and her family well. We don't know her name, we don't want to, and we don't know if she lost her job as a result of an incident that happened seven years ago.

But what we do know is a friend of ours - and friends are unconditional, that's what friendship is - a friend of ours is doing it tough as well. We do know his name, it's Matthew Johns, and we do know he lost all his jobs.

We don't condone in any way obviously what happened, but we do wish him and his family well.

We don't necessarily disagree with what this station did as far as suspending him, but I personally and I know these two boys here (Gary Lyon, James Brayshaw) who are good friends of Matthew Johns, hope he is back on channel nine sooner rather than later on the Logie winning NRL Footy Show, and wish him and his family well."

bartman

Immortal

I thought at least Gould was going to be a hard c**k and point out all the flaws in what had happened so far in the persecution of Matty (particularly the workmate revelations). Fact if Matty comes out in a couple of months and sets the record straight, noone will care, the only thing theyll remember is his public fall from grace.

Oh and i thought Fatty's comment about naming and shaming the senior NRL player who said that the gangbangs will go on was ridiculous. And noone touched the issue of willing groupies and legal consensual acts which was clearly the elephant in the room. Until then the players are only going to become more resentful.

All theyre doing is introducing a "forbidden fruit" factor for young men which IMO will increase the practice.

Awwww, poor lego_man feels let down :(

I thought Gus did a good job of sticking up for Johns and his plight. But as I've been saying... this isn't all about Johns or that incident, or the consent or legality etc.

But whinge on anyway... :roll: Wake up and listen to it LM, and you might learn about where the game needs to head.

macavity

Referee
those are the 2 worst CEOs they could have on.

well, possibly cronullas and manlys are up there too.

not impressed with this show.

won't someone in the RL media grow some balls.

bartman

Immortal
Strong statement by the Canterbury CEO that the dickhead who gave quotes to the paper about how Gallop won't stop group sex etc wouldn't find himself in a Bulldog's jersey.

That's to be applauded imo.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

I completely agree with everything you say. However, at the end of the day it would've been an absolute PR disaster if they had all come out backing Johns, and 99% of people would have criticised them and called them a joke.

Sad but true.

homo man

Juniors
dawson-crying.jpg

Dogaholic

First Grade
Strong statement by the Canterbury CEO that the dickhead who gave quotes to the paper about how Gallop won't stop group sex etc wouldn't find himself in a Bulldog's jersey.

A message to all players and evident in our recruitment, who we are letting go and the turn around in people like Ben Roberts.

S.R.

Juniors

How does he know he's not already a Bulldog?

I also found it hypocritical that they said Sharks players should be named, but apparently the Bulldogs Coffs Harbour incident is OK and they can escape public shame. The Broncos reckon they dealt with the 3 players a girl and a pub toilet issue. What a joke. Aren't those players still at the club? Isn't that as bad as the Sharks thing? They were in a public place!!!

Kiki

First Grade
lolz as if they are gonna fight for Matty when he's been fired already. please.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, I was hoping they'd get to the footy earlier, after the first break. But I think they really had to do that segment, with the CEOs giving their comments.

It's really re-inforced that this is not all about Johns, and that there is a valid deeper issue there that the game has to address, whether people like it or not. Change is coming, and the player who was quoted saying that the league can't outlaw group sex got bagged roundly bagged for living in an outdated past for a modern professional sporting product.

That got at least one of this forum's resident neanderthals hot under the collar, so the segment's message of change was well worth it :lol:. Here's hoping the game stands strong with that message of change, clubs and players take heed, and in doing so the game's future will look a lot brighter.

Sam Newman a few minutes ago on AFL Footy Show...

"Now, just before we go to the break, I want you to listen to this, and listen carefully and don't misconstrue what I'm gonna say. And what I'm about to say doesn't require applause or derision. We feel we should say this.

There's a woman in New Zealand, who is doing it tough at the minute, and we wish her and her family well. We don't know her name, we don't want to, and we don't know if she lost her job as a result of an incident that happened seven years ago.

But what we do know is a friend of ours - and friends are unconditional, that's what friendship is - a friend of ours is doing it tough as well. We do know his name, it's Matthew Johns, and we do know he lost all his jobs.

We don't condone in any way obviously what happened, but we do wish him and his family well.

We don't necessarily disagree with what this station did as far as suspending him, but I personally and I know these two boys here (Gary Lyon, James Brayshaw) who are good friends of Matthew Johns, hope he is back on channel nine sooner rather than later on the Logie winning NRL Footy Show, and wish him and his family well."

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sam Newman, take a bow. Everything that Fatty Vautin should have said was said right there.