What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Matty Johns Show: Thursdays @ 7.30pm on 7

RUBIKS

Juniors
I can't believe how no one has mentioned how the whole thing was one big add? I shouldn't have been surprised it was channel 7 after all and we've seen what they do with their sports however: Home when your Away, done up in home and away font... followed up by a quiz to peddle sponsors crap, are you smarter than a footballer a la are you smarter than a 5th grader, the Mac clearly placed on the desk, all these celebrity interviews will be with people who are spruiking something, the proudly sponsored by rubbish, plus the more than I thought was normal ad breaks. It wouldn't surprise me if the guitar hero was placed in that guys house by the execs as another plug.

Then with all the skits they didn't even get enough time to cover all the games with the last three matches being reduced to a who'd you tip moment.

However as someone said, the band was great, two band members in particular ;-)

I'll watch it a few more times, I think they can make it better when they all relax into it, just have less scripted "comedy" and let it flow naturally.

griffo346

First Grade
Maybe Matt white wouldnt make a good panelist but on seven theres not much there in terms of 7 sports reporters whom like rugby league

VictoryFC

Bench
I had the opportunity to watch both Footy Shows alongside each other, being in Melbourne and all. I watched John's show throughout, and switched over to C9 in ad breaks. Johns single handedly has taken a dump on the Footy Show; I honestly kept thinking to myself that I couldn't the first effort was as good as that.

Things which are positive:

- Matthew Johns. The guy is a good host. He makes good sketches - as opposed to Darryl for instance.

- The set is fantastic. Much better than Footy Show

- It has a great flow. Being only an hour, it seemed like it was going at a 100 miles per hour. Never a dull moment really.

- That controversy corner. Only Gus could do something like that on the Footy Show. Johns takes a back seat, the journo plays the devils advocate. Who knew to include a journo? Ex players are not going to ask tough question. Put a journo in and you've got interview gold. Albeit props to Mason for going along, he did quite well I thought

- Shane was good too. Didn't stumble much really. Coherent enough, and he has a good rapport with Johns

- Presentation and graphics are a great improvement over the Footy Show. It just feels fresh

Other things:

- I really don't think theres a need for a third host.

- I'm happy that there wasn't too much time given to players - the Footy Show gives players way too much time to the detriment of the show

- The Are You Smarter bit was funny for now, but being only like 3 questions, it doesn't really do it I feel. The new C7 AFL show has the same bit, and Johns version was pulled off 100 times better, but still I dont see too much of a future

Sure there's other stuff, but overall very good effort Matty! Channel 9 don't know what they've dropped. Meanwhile another stale show over at C9 from what I did see..

Snoochies

First Grade
I had the opportunity to watch both Footy Shows alongside each other, being in Melbourne and all. I watched John's show throughout, and switched over to C9 in ad breaks. Johns single handedly has taken a dump on the Footy Show; I honestly kept thinking to myself that I couldn't the first effort was as good as that.

Things which are positive:

- Matthew Johns. The guy is a good host. He makes good sketches - as opposed to Darryl for instance.

- The set is fantastic. Much better than Footy Show

- It has a great flow. Being only an hour, it seemed like it was going at a 100 miles per hour. Never a dull moment really.

- That controversy corner. Only Gus could do something like that on the Footy Show. Johns takes a back seat, the journo plays the devils advocate. Who knew to include a journo? Ex players are not going to ask tough question. Put a journo in and you've got interview gold. Albeit props to Mason for going along, he did quite well I thought

- Shane was good too. Didn't stumble much really. Coherent enough, and he has a good rapport with Johns

- Presentation and graphics are a great improvement over the Footy Show. It just feels fresh

Other things:

- I really don't think theres a need for a third host.

- I'm happy that there wasn't too much time given to players - the Footy Show gives players way too much time to the detriment of the show

- The Are You Smarter bit was funny for now, but being only like 3 questions, it doesn't really do it I feel. The new C7 AFL show has the same bit, and Johns version was pulled off 100 times better, but still I dont see too much of a future

Sure there's other stuff, but overall very good effort Matty! Channel 9 don't know what they've dropped. Meanwhile another stale show over at C9 from what I did see..

I think it's good but depending on what you want from a footy show. Last night the channel 9 footy show spoke about alot of football wheras Mattys show didn't have much at all, plus the fact that since Channel 9 have the rights to the footage for the NRL, I doubt anyone will be seeing much Footy on the Johns show.

What I am finding funny is the amount of people who crap on about the skits on the footy show only to love the Johns show who has carried it over to his new show.

The footy show talks more Footy and the Johns show is comedy with Footy players in it.

I like both but I don't think the Johns show will ever actually be a footy show.

I also find it ironic that Channel 7 is promoting a sport that is shown on another channel. Matty Johns should be spruiking up Better Homes and Gardens instead of the NRL.

Ke$ha

Juniors
Did anyone catch my interview with Jason last night...

Im seriously considering him for that duet'
:blahb:

Ike E Bear

Juniors
It felt a bit like a fawn taking its first few steps - wobbly in parts and, while a little funny if they fall over, you're cheering for them to succeed.

That said, I thought they tried to squeeze 10kg of poo into a 5kg bag, in that they probably need to quickly work out what works best and try to give it more air time at the expense of the rubbish.

The Stevens interview with Keisha was painful and pointless.

I understand why they want it to be as much a comedic variety show as a footy show (especially for the timeslot), but a little more footy wouldn't hurt. This is an opportunity for Johns to use his charisma and an awesome time slot to promote footy to people that mightn't be die-hard fans.

Steven the Man-Child was probably my favourite gag.

Things I really liked -
* Champion vs Champion (a clever way to feature other sports and athletes)
* Controversy Corner (although it needs to be expanded on and made a key feature of the show, and I hope it isn't just one topic with an X vs Y "debate" ... or interrogation as it kind of turned out)
* Home While You're Away (keep the prizes if they must, but ditch the pointless quiz)
* Johns is charismatic and a polished professional compared to the guys on The Footy Show. I don't understand how they haven't gotten any better with so many years' experience.
* Home Town segment (although hopefully the poem bit was a one-off, I'd like it to be more serious and intimate and less cutesy)

Things I'd do if I was Johns and the producers -
* A couple fewer skits. Use them like seasoning, not like the main.
* Get Stevens doing something else or dump him altogether. Maybe a segment on the NYC featuring "the stars of the future".
* Consider another panelist ... someone a little cranky. You've got the joker and the straight man.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
You know what they should do is have the crossbar challenge either in front of a live audience or at a teams training session, have that instead of the Jason Stevens interview.

Or if they want to make it funny without skits, show old funny moments in RL like Boots n All did.

I wish we had some sort of show like that showing bits of RL footage, bringing back some great memories.

The Tank

Bench
The Barefoot Rugby League show on NITV is the best league show on TV all footy talk no BS also stories on junior teams from QLD and NSW
Ch 180 on fox and ch 40 digital

Actually, I forgot all about that show... and I watched it yesterday! :lol: Okay, so there are two good shows.

The Tank

Bench
I can't believe how no one has mentioned how the whole thing was one big add? I shouldn't have been surprised it was channel 7 after all and we've seen what they do with their sports however: Home when your Away, done up in home and away font... followed up by a quiz to peddle sponsors crap, are you smarter than a footballer a la are you smarter than a 5th grader, the Mac clearly placed on the desk, all these celebrity interviews will be with people who are spruiking something, the proudly sponsored by rubbish, plus the more than I thought was normal ad breaks. It wouldn't surprise me if the guitar hero was placed in that guys house by the execs as another plug.

Then with all the skits they didn't even get enough time to cover all the games with the last three matches being reduced to a who'd you tip moment.

However as someone said, the band was great, two band members in particular ;-)

I'll watch it a few more times, I think they can make it better when they all relax into it, just have less scripted "comedy" and let it flow naturally.

Isn't that a Ch10 show?

El Diablo

Post Whore
some cooments from here http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...ven_chat_live_with_matty/desc/P0#commentsmore

Hi,

Definitely, myself and everyone at Seven are gonig to discuss the show. Controversy Corner needs to be longer. Kenty and the others have such strong views and they get them across so well I think we can create a longer segment in there than 8 minutes. That’s a wish of mine.

Matty

Hi Dan,

I thought we were guilty of trying to jam too many things in. Glad you like Albey and in the year you will see him battle with the NRL mascots.

Matty

Hi Lester,

Thats the balance between we have to find between serious rugby league talk and fun. Looking back on the show, the controversy corner needed to be longer. I thought we probably tried to put too many things in to the first show,

Matty

Thanks very much, we wont jam as much in to the show, we were a bit overexcited.

Last edited:

hrundi99

First Grade
The Alby sketch was quality, especially the thing about standing still...

If you know who it's based on (Alby Mangels) then I can't see how you couldn't have found it funny...

The Tank

Bench
The Alby Sandals skit where the Panther ran out of puff was hard to take as a Panthers fan but so f**king funny.

StormChaser

First Grade
I didn't get it. I didn't understand what it was trying to be, it all felt a little too thrown together and confused. Not enough footy content for sure, but hopefully it'll get better.