What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes- Frank would colourfully critique the way teams were playing ( "they're not tackling- standing around like Brown's cows"). I always thought that Frank was a bit sick of the Dragons winning all the time and it sometimes showed in a lowering of his voice when we scored a try. But, to his credit, he was always fair with his Seiko man of the match awards and Johnny Raper won so many he could have started up his own Seiko franchise. While Frank also waxed lyrical about Puff ( "like a bird in flight" was one of his more memorable descriptions of Reg's running style) I think Frank considered Raper the best footballer he had ever seen.
Frank and Langlands did not see eye to eye -
Willow said:
Apparently Frank Hyde and Graeme Langlands had a frosty relationship. Frank never gave Chang the Seiko man of the match award, except on one occasion.

His curt language did not endear him to some. Frank Hyde, the legendary commentator, covered the match of the day for 2SM at the SCG when the Dragons were a regular fixture.

Frank was having a feud with Changa and regularly awarded the prize watch to other players in the St George team.

Finally, came the day Langlands outplayed everyone to the extent that Frank simply had to give him the Seiko.

As the highly respected Hyde rose from his sideline seat, moving to Langlands on the sideline, he declared: "My man of the match is Graeme Langlands." Changa's response was quintessential Langlands. "Stick it up your arse," he said.

- Roy Masters
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/re...-for-the-modern-fullback-20180121-h0lprg.html

Mojo

Bench
Wasn’t that Rockdale Police Boys? I played for them in the early 70’s.
Yes, I think so. The club was in Bay Street.
Yeah, sure it is.
Discussion doesn't always have to be about rumours.
Yeah, sure it is.
Discussion doesn't always have to be about rumours.

This thread has a tendency to drift every now and again, and it's always in good fun. It's interesting seeing all the different walks of life that bring us here, a bit of sonder for us all to enjoy.
When discussing rumours one should stick to the facts and not digress.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Could someone post this please
Anthony Griffin recruited Francis Molo with a promise.
A vow that if he moved to Wollongong, he will be joining a club on an upward trajectory.

And so the former Cowboy signed a three-year deal with the Dragons in the belief that Griffin is building a premiership contender.
Read more: Road battle can wait, Hawks need to deliver on home court
Molo is only one game into his St George Illawarra career, but the forward is set to receive an early indicator of how far the side is from that goal when they take on Penrith on Friday night.
"A big reason for coming was because of Hook," Molo said. "He's a coach who wants to get the best out of me. I've still got a bit to work on to reach my full potential.
"We've got a quality team here and I want to win a premiership, that's the goal at the end of the day.
"Hook wants us to be in the top four teams, competing every year. He wants us to be like the Storm and Penrith, a team that players want to come to and makes the fans proud."
Molo has been elevated to the starting lineup this weekend, Aaron Woods ruled out due to a hamstring injury.
That has seen George Burgess picked to make his first NRL appearance for the Dragons, the former Rabbitoh named on the bench.
The door is also ajar for Tariq Sims to return to the top flight, the NSW forward listed in the extended 24-man squad.
There are no other changes to the 17 for Friday's clash, Griffin opting to stick with the players that defeated the Warriors last Saturday.
Talatau Amone and Ben Hunt will combine in the halves, while hooker Andrew McCullough will wear jumper No.19.
The No.9 jersey has been retired for the evening as the Dragons honour Norm Provan in their first game at Kogarah since his death.
While St George Illawarra are confident of their chances of toppling the Panthers on Friday night, the players know they must improve significantly on last week's performance.
The Dragons may have prevailed, but it was a showing punctuated by inconsistency and defensive lapses.
Molo plans to lead the forward pack as they look to shut down the likes of Viliame Kikau and James Fisher-Harris and he said the group is up for the challenge.
"I'm keen for the challenge," Molo said. "It will be good to see where we're at as a team, especially against Penrith, who won the premiership last year.
"I'm looking forward to it, they've got a good forward pack. It's a good test to see where we're at."
Meanwhile, Kezie Apps has been named to make her return for the Dragons women for Sunday's clash with Newcastle.
The skipper has missed the past two games with a broken hand, while Madison Bartlett and Kody House are also back from suspension.
The inclusions come on a landmark day for women's rugby league, the NRLW to expand to eight teams in 2023 and ten teams in 2024.
A salary cap of $350,000 will also be introduced for the second competition this year and State of Origin expanded to two games from next year.
"There's still a long way to go but this is another positive step in our growth journey for the NRLW," NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said.
"We're experiencing significant growth in television audiences and that's down to the players and the Commission will continue to invest and support that success."

Dragon David

First Grade
Anthony Griffin recruited Francis Molo with a promise.
A vow that if he moved to Wollongong, he will be joining a club on an upward trajectory.

And so the former Cowboy signed a three-year deal with the Dragons in the belief that Griffin is building a premiership contender.
Read more: Road battle can wait, Hawks need to deliver on home court
Molo is only one game into his St George Illawarra career, but the forward is set to receive an early indicator of how far the side is from that goal when they take on Penrith on Friday night.
"A big reason for coming was because of Hook," Molo said. "He's a coach who wants to get the best out of me. I've still got a bit to work on to reach my full potential.
"We've got a quality team here and I want to win a premiership, that's the goal at the end of the day.
"Hook wants us to be in the top four teams, competing every year. He wants us to be like the Storm and Penrith, a team that players want to come to and makes the fans proud."
Molo has been elevated to the starting lineup this weekend, Aaron Woods ruled out due to a hamstring injury.
That has seen George Burgess picked to make his first NRL appearance for the Dragons, the former Rabbitoh named on the bench.
The door is also ajar for Tariq Sims to return to the top flight, the NSW forward listed in the extended 24-man squad.
There are no other changes to the 17 for Friday's clash, Griffin opting to stick with the players that defeated the Warriors last Saturday.
Talatau Amone and Ben Hunt will combine in the halves, while hooker Andrew McCullough will wear jumper No.19.
The No.9 jersey has been retired for the evening as the Dragons honour Norm Provan in their first game at Kogarah since his death.
While St George Illawarra are confident of their chances of toppling the Panthers on Friday night, the players know they must improve significantly on last week's performance.
The Dragons may have prevailed, but it was a showing punctuated by inconsistency and defensive lapses.
Molo plans to lead the forward pack as they look to shut down the likes of Viliame Kikau and James Fisher-Harris and he said the group is up for the challenge.
"I'm keen for the challenge," Molo said. "It will be good to see where we're at as a team, especially against Penrith, who won the premiership last year.
"I'm looking forward to it, they've got a good forward pack. It's a good test to see where we're at."
Meanwhile, Kezie Apps has been named to make her return for the Dragons women for Sunday's clash with Newcastle.
The skipper has missed the past two games with a broken hand, while Madison Bartlett and Kody House are also back from suspension.
The inclusions come on a landmark day for women's rugby league, the NRLW to expand to eight teams in 2023 and ten teams in 2024.
A salary cap of $350,000 will also be introduced for the second competition this year and State of Origin expanded to two games from next year.
"There's still a long way to go but this is another positive step in our growth journey for the NRLW," NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said.
"We're experiencing significant growth in television audiences and that's down to the players and the Commission will continue to invest and support that success."
Thanks Ayios.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Frank and Langlands did not see eye to eye -
This disappoints me- Frank was the uncle of one of my closest friends and while I only met him a couple of times, he spoke to me as if he'd known me all his life- a great guy. Langlands was my favourite St George player to watch and if he had no respect for Frank, he's just gone down a notch in my estimation.

Mojo

Bench
By defintion, Rumours discussion is pretty fluid subject matter.
I've done a few laps here and I can promise you this: if we always stick to the topic, we might end up going crazy.
Oh wait...
Yes, my comment was meant tongue in cheek.

mickeylane

Bench
I'm getting really sick of the media beating up the Sims to Storm bullshit NON-story, they won't leave it alone even though bellyache and Hook have both debunked the rumours. It aint happening, never was, you idiots ! Stop writing about it.
Sims agreed to going to Storm in 2023 reported today not a minute earlier ...so everyone chillax!