What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp I

Status
Not open for further replies.

bender

Juniors
Ribs said:
The broncos are heading south bender......... the finals this year showed a very tired team, a very tired coach and some very tired ideas.
It is hard to argue, because as a broncos fan anything less than a competition win is a disappointment. Still, that tired team, tired coach and tired ideas still finished higher than StGeorge, no matter which way that you look at it.

Like I said, its obvious you havent even watched Saints play this season, yet you have no worries throwing around opnions based on little information.
No actually, it is obvious that I havent watched Saints play as much as the fans of their own team who have probably seen every game. I actually admitted that early on. Still, I am sure as a Saints fan, you havent seen too many games without the Blinkers. I have since I really couldnt care too much whether they win or lose because: 1. they were not my side 2.they were not a side that i consider a threat.

Yes, Lance Thompson was regarded as a very good chance of getting a bench spot for NSW and his form this year was excellent. I wouldnt trade him for anyone as his skill and inspiration to those playing with him are priceless. The media down here were reporting it, you wouldnt have known.
So which is it a very good chance or a certainty? The very best Lance Thompson could hope for is an outside chance of playing for a bench spot. Even then it is very unlikely.

Origin players from the Broncos? Im shocked.... The fact that you were soundly beaten in the series means nothing to you does it?

Last game NSW had 5, yes 5, Dragons in it and we beat your combined Broncos/Cowboys side.

Kite/Ryles/Timmins/Gasnier/Cooper/ Barrett... hang on thats 6. Someone must have been injured......

[\quote]
or leaving for Manly. :D
We lose Kite but Bailey is a walk up starter in the test team and you know it.

We oooooooooooooooooze class my friend.

Sometimes I wonder if people read before they post. Didnt this topic start by me saying that Bailey, Ryles and Barrett were absolute class? I agree that Bailey should be in the test side with O'Meley and Ryles the Starting props.

bender

Juniors
borat said:
Really well lets see. lance Thompson played for City, was in the NSW 30 man train on squad named before the series.

This is what Gould said after the SOO1 side was announced in the age

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/17/1084646123958.html?from=storylhs

"(From) his (Clinton's) last game to the Origin game is a month and that's a long time," Gould said.

"We thought the same with Timana Tahu, who's been there before, we thought the same with Lance Thompson.

"Effectively we didn't consider them.
So Phil Gould saying that Thompson had a good game in city country but wasnt considered for origin because injury somehow equates to Thompson being a certainty does it?

You should read that article because it goes on to show how wrong you were about Hornby.
Why does the article show i am wrong about Hornby. He is not as good as minichello, most of you agree. You surely agree he isnt as good as Bowen, Wesser and Lockyer as well. That places him at best the 5th best fulback in the game. You also must agree that Patten was level pegging in standing for most of the year with him and Hodgson and Peachey are both capable of producing origin class form at his level even if ithey probably didnt last year. That rates him as somewhere between the 5th and 8th best fulback in the competion. It is no coincidence that Saint George themselves generally finish between the and 8th. Outside of Bailey, Ryles and Barrett, that is where you would pretty much rank most of the StGeorge side in their individeu.

Then we have this article by written by Adam Burnett on SportsAustralia.com
http://sportsaustralia.com/articles/may04/artid1462.html

Canberra’s Ryan O’Hara and Canterbury’s Mark O’Meley have also benefited from injuries to other potential origin candidates, most notably St George Illawarra’s Lance Thompson, and the Panthers Joel Clinton. Both front-rowers selected have been strong at club level and will be supported off the bench by Dragons debutant Brent Kite and the Bulldogs Willie Mason.

[/quote]
Who in the blue hell is Adam Burnett? That must be the clincher. Two front rowers benefit from an injury to Lance Thompson. Surely he wasnt being thought of as a prop for Origin was he?

But best of all we have this article your own beloved Broncos website by Dan Koch:-
http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?TopMenuID=266&MenuID=270&NewsID=880

Meanwhile the NSW camp has some injury concerns of its own, with star forwards Jason Ryles (knee) and Ben Kennedy (Hamstring) unlikely to be available after aggravating old injuries over the weekend.

The Blues are already without skipper Andrew Johns, Knights teammates Steve Simpson and Timana Tahu and Dragons trio Lance Thompson, Trent Barrett and Luke Bailey because of injury. Impressive young St George centre Matt Cooper is also in doubt after injuring himself in his side’s loss to the Bulldogs.

So it seems to me numbnuts that your opinion is so deluded that not even the Broncos agree with you.
How did that site become my beloved site :lol: I have never even visited it. It is leagueunlimited all the way for me I am afraid. They were probably hoping Thompson got in before OMeley, Ryles, Kennedy or whoever else. I know i would have been.

I can keep pulling eveidence all day if you like. Care to provide one ounce of anything that backs up your shortsighted, ill conceived, poorly thoughtout sh*te.

For years Lance Thompson has played consitently well at the same level. He was never selected before no matter how bad the injury crisis. Why does he suddenly become a certainty, because one or two unknowns mention his name in a story or because gould gives him a token acknowlegment in a throwaway line.
You can go on all you like about the number of Rep players the Broncos and Nth Qld have but when you play for the Powder Puff state just having a pulse is all that required to get a guernsey. Its a wonder queensland even knows what the SOO trophy looks like. I hear that next years criteria for selection is a lucky door prize at the Brisbane show, first 17 through the door get in the team.

Rahihi, Sing and Bowen have reached Test status. I'll give you Sing, Rahihi, or newcastle discard, has played how many test for NZ. NZ mate, second rate team just like QLD. And as far as Bowen is concerend, a couple of bench games for the the Ordinary State and 0 tests for Australia. Keep it in perspective.
Both are in the touring squad.

And as far as the rest of your crap goes, I would never, ever accuse the Broncos of salary Cap rorting because, quite frankly your dads army of has been former test players aren't even worth the 3.25 mill. Just remember, when it comes to the finals its Broncos Choking Time.

Broncos choking time? Interesting from a club that has never one a premiership contested by the broncos ever and just finished as alsorans well below the Broncos.

Ribs

Bench
Now the Qld arrogance starts to creep out. Your team were the easy beats of the 8 this year and it was well known. Yes tired, yes will struggle next year.

Thommo played some of his best footy this year, but you wouldnt know it because you havent watched bugger all of us this season, that much is bloody obvious.

Hornby is the second best fullabck behind Mini and thats a fact. Like I said before though, his kicking game and ball moving ability far outshines that of Mini.

If anything less than a comp win is a disappointment, you must be a very disappointed person at the moment.....

Next season's results are next season, but I can guarantee that your dads army will finish below us.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'd just like to point out to my fellow Dragons supporters that Bender isn't all bad. I see from the above that he follows through and takes time to respond.... this is more than what some do. He's no blow-in and he does after all, call us St George.

Plus he represents the perfect tonic for those of us looking for somewhere to rest our boots during the off-season.

But living in the heat makes us all go a bit casual from time to time... Bender is the doing well in that regard.

And yes Bender, I'll be here next year to regurgitate this thread when the Broncos disappear off the map. :D

borat

Bench
I will make it real easy for you bender because you seem to be struggling.

Slightly confused and bender said

My recollection is that he was a shock selection ahead of Patton, because Minichello and was unavailable and Peachey and Hodgson were either injured or out of form. And it was also widely recognised that NSW had no decent fulbacks remember the jokes that NSW wanted to swap some halfbacks for fulbacks.

Alex Brown of SMH wrote
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/17/1084783457184.html?from=storyrhs

While elated at prising the No.1 jersey from Minichiello's grasp, Hornby understands the selectors' motives. In the absence of Timana Tahu (hamstring) and Matt Cooper (knee), class wingers are a rare commodity and the NSW selectors switched the fast-running, light-stepping Minichiello to the flank in the hope of negating either Justin Hodges or Billy Slater.

The famine on the wings stands in stark contrast to the glut of fullback contenders - Hornby eventually out-pointing Country No.1 Luke Patten and City's Brett Hodgson.

Does this clear it up for you. If you want to keep debating I can keep quoting becuase there is a huge amount evidence to back up what I am saying as opposed to the dribble you have written.

This is what Truth bender wrote about Thompson
Lance Thompson is experienced and a solid 1st grade player. If you think that he was ever a certainty for origin selection (injury or not) then it is pointless arguing with you. Are you going to tell me that he is playing so much better last year than ever before that he went from never being in calculations to being a certainty.

And once again this is What Phil Gould said

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/17/1084646123958.html?from=storylhs

"(From) his (Clinton's) last game to the Origin game is a month and that's a long time," Gould said.

"We thought the same with Timana Tahu, who's been there before, we thought the same with Lance Thompson.

"Effectively we didn't consider them.

Gould felt the need to explain why Thompson wasn't considered for selection because the majority of the NSW public thought he would be in the team prior to his injury.

Is any of this getting into you head. I posted the link to the broncos website because I thought you may consider your own teams website as a credible source of information. Obviously not.

Here is another Bender special
The fact that you were soundly beaten in the series means nothing to you does it?

:lol: The dragons are beaten by 1 point by the reigning premiers and the broncos are absolutely smacked 31 -14 by the storm and 10 - blot, zero, thanks for comming 0 by the Cowboys. The dragons at least had a go, the broncos were humiliated on their own turf by Melbourne and couldn't even score 1 point against the cowboys :!:

You have abslutely no knowledge of the Dragons nor NSW yet you continue to dribble and dribble absolute cr*p with no foundation and nothing to support anything you say. Stick AFL and Netball or whatever sport you actually follow because Rugby League is not your bag.

I will happily show you up night and day bender because not you have no idea and nothing to back up your cr*p.

gregstar

Referee
is it true captain cook took a crap in the swamp! from which a colony of blue, black & white fungus evolved?

SaintTPP

First Grade
The Nulla said:
I love the fact that you guys get off talking about things that happened 40-50 years ago. :lol:
You wouldn't know though, would you? 38 years and no history what so ever, just a shit club with a shit ground that stinks, some crappy jerseys and a name change every couple of years.

tye

Juniors
what about one for that drunk ugly red headed bloke who cant fight and one for that bloke gasnier you no the over rated one just like his uncle :) :)

bender

Juniors
How did this come back to the top so early?

Oh well while it is up i guess i might as well ask the question, why wasnt there a huge outcry when Lance Thompson, the origin certainty, missed out on selection in the Australian team?

drake

First Grade
It was no surprise he missed out; Lockyer isn't used to playing alongside him, so he wouldn't get a look in. :lol:
The test team this year was a common work place joke. The has-beens and never weres in place of great players was astounding, but Bennetts game plan was completely centered on Lockyer, that's why carroll was there, and Berrigan. The test side was chock full of players from a team that won one game of their last eight.
If the side was a real indication of Australian skill and strength, their would have been more representation from the premiers and the minor premiers.
I'm surprised that Buderus got a look in; surely Costigan or whoever filled in for Barry Berrigan deserved a chance.

Saint 60

Juniors
lol fancy a rooster supporter saying give anything some identity - theres a club that hasnt had a junior since moses was a kid - and if they have had any, theyve committed them to memory --- dont spend any money on juniors in their Area and dont plan too, take everyone elses juniors and tells other clubs to get some identity...lol

bender

Juniors
Sorry to bring this thread up again so early, but what were those spoon odds you were offering again, Willow? :lol: 8)

bender

Juniors
Sorry, Couldnt resist. :lol:

there is a long way to go yet, I still think youll sneak in the 8 (and bow out to the Broncos in the first weak. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.