What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Worst Team in the Competition

DUB888

Juniors
I am a Dragons supporter of 43years and this is my first time on this forum. I have joined to add support to those who find the Dragons performances (Management , Coach and Team) unacceptable.
Mr Doust needs to consider "Our BRAND".
Our head coach is clearly not of the experience required to command an NRL team.
Our halves....well it has all been said but I will add that IMO we have had the best of Soward who appears to not have the skill set to organise Our Team at this level.
Our Dragons after 3 GAMES are 100 - 1 to win the premiership....over to you Mr Doust.

Changaman

Juniors
I am a Dragons supporter of 43years and this is my first time on this forum. I have joined to add support to those who find the Dragons performances (Management , Coach and Team) unacceptable.
Mr Doust needs to consider "Our BRAND".
Our head coach is clearly not of the experience required to command an NRL team.
Our halves....well it has all been said but I will add that IMO we have had the best of Soward who appears to not have the skill set to organise Our Team at this level.
Our Dragons after 3 GAMES are 100 - 1 to win the premiership....over to you Mr Doust.

Wise word BUBB.

Who was it that got Wayne Bennett for 3 years rather than 5. Who was it that organised Mark Gasnier's contract that allowed him to leave for France, then once back again singed him at the expense of Jeremy Smith and Neville Costigan, only to have Gaz retire early once he got his premiership.

Who was it that missed out on Cooper Cronk and Craig Bellamy. The recruiting for the Dragons HAS been terrible.

You're right, Steve Price hasn't shown enough ability to coach an NRL team.

And the CEO is responsible for contracting a coach, with the success of the football team as the main goal.

Is it time for the "Oust Doust" signs to come out?

Old_Timer

Juniors
Is it time for the "Oust Doust" signs to come out?

About 12 months overdue methinks!

While fans and corporate sponsors are prepared to accept the mediocrity that is currently being dished up by our club then the status quo will prevail.

Our Club Board needs to hear the message that we are none to pleased with the efforts of our club management at every opportunity. If need bee, publicly embarrass them into action. Only then will they act.

Changaman

Juniors
Our Club Board needs to hear the message that we are none to pleased with the efforts of our club management at every opportunity. If need bee, publicly embarrass them into action. Only then will they act.

Absolutley right Old Timer. But how do we get their attention. We know the Doust and co are the biggest procrastinators in the business (8 years of Brownie).

How does the board hear us? does anyone have an email adress to start with?

We are pretty much at LOL@Saints levels now.

Godz, have you re-thought the eighties comparisons yet? You're my canary in the coal mine.

This is exactly how I was feeling in the late eighties. We'd keep getting linked with players who ended up signing elsewhere and we'd end up buying Shane Kelly and Guy Picken and Brett Clark and Wilfred Williams etc. I remember at the end of '89 there was a back page in the Mirror (as then was) saying we were going hard for Sironen, and it was obviously bollocks. We needed him, desperately enough to pay overs for him. But no.

I now actually think that it's worse than the eighties. We're in the sort of hole it takes five years to get out of. So that's "tick". But we never actually got the spoon back then. We are more or less nailed on for it this year (unless the drug cheats are properly punished) and I can't see us being in anyway better next year.

I'm on the record: We are the new Souffs.

We are a laughing stock.

BennyV

Referee
The fish rots from the head....and I'm afraid our CEO, Mr Doust has completely mismanaged the re-building of this club post Bennett. Anyone who says we are paying for our success for the 2010 premiership is kidding themselves.

Look at Manly and Melbourne. They've won premierships over the last few years and continue to be strong. We on the other hand have gone backwards and will take at least 2 years to be a competitive and vying for a top 8 position. Thank you Mr Doust.

I think comparing us with Manly and Melbourne might be a bit misguided. Their 'Golden Era' started around the 2007 mark, when they started bringing their current stars through. They picked up premierships on the back of a good crop of players and good coaches (whether they started as good coaches is debatable). However, when they lose that crop of stars (Lyon/Watmough/Matai/Stewarts for Manly, and Smith/Slater/Cronk for Storm) in a few years, chances are their 'Golden Era' will be over!!

Now look at us - honestly, I believe our 'Golden Era' started well before 2010, closer to 2004ish, when we were bringing Gas, Coops, Hornby, Creagh, Ryles, Bailey, etc into regular first graders. If we had a superstar coach (or if Brown/Farrar had become top coaches) then we'd have at least 2 more premierships under our belts and we'd be mentioned as one of the dominant clubs of the modern era. Unfortunately, we didnt, we picked up a premiership at the back end of said 'Golden Era' and now we are sliding. When the next batch comes through (given the right training/development AND COACH) we'll see another Golden Era for Dragons.

All a matter of perspective...

tumbidragon

First Grade
I think comparing us with Manly and Melbourne might be a bit misguided. Their 'Golden Era' started around the 2007 mark, when they started bringing their current stars through. They picked up premierships on the back of a good crop of players and good coaches (whether they started as good coaches is debatable). However, when they lose that crop of stars (Lyon/Watmough/Matai/Stewarts for Manly, and Smith/Slater/Cronk for Storm) in a few years, chances are their 'Golden Era' will be over!!

Now look at us - honestly, I believe our 'Golden Era' started well before 2010, closer to 2004ish, when we were bringing Gas, Coops, Hornby, Creagh, Ryles, Bailey, etc into regular first graders. If we had a superstar coach (or if Brown/Farrar had become top coaches) then we'd have at least 2 more premierships under our belts and we'd be mentioned as one of the dominant clubs of the modern era. Unfortunately, we didnt, we picked up a premiership at the back end of said 'Golden Era' and now we are sliding. When the next batch comes through (given the right training/development AND COACH) we'll see another Golden Era for Dragons.

All a matter of perspective...

Great post mate. But as you say it's a matter of perspective, and mine is that we have not handled rebuilding toward our next 'golden age' very well at all.

CarssDragon

Juniors
We are pretty much at LOL@Saints levels now.

Wouldn't go that far mate. At least our club appears to have their finances in order, and has the coin and cap available to improve. Plenty of clubs out there trying to buy premierships and now crying poor. Look at the state of Sharks, souffs and Manly. At least the club has control over our 'franchise' and no risk of being shipped off to Perth.

Simple case of most rivals becoming much more aggressive and pushing the cap, and our club being too conservative in most areas. So agree we've quickly become one of the have-not's, but we are far from the worst

dragonv

Juniors
Utterly disgraceful and demoralizing. Just when you thought they couldn't find another way to disappoint their fans.

I admit there is something credible about fighting back from 18-0 but that game was handed to us on a plate and we simply pushed it away.

Soward's goal kicking certainly suggests his mind is elsewhere since signing with Penrith. Price can say what he wants but he is taking the team backwards. What steps will he take next...nothing! Same 17 next week minus Morris, yippee.

First time we will miss the finals twice in a row for 1/4 of a decade and he gets an extension! Thank you!

hewi

Bench
Utterly disgraceful and demoralizing. Just when you thought they couldn't find another way to disappoint their fans.

I admit there is something credible about fighting back from 18-0 but that game was handed to us on a plate and we simply pushed it away.

Soward's goal kicking certainly suggests his mind is elsewhere since signing with Penrith. Price can say what he wants but he is taking the team backwards. What steps will he take next...nothing! Same 17 next week minus Morris, yippee.

First time we will miss the finals twice in a row for 1/4 of a decade and he gets an extension! Thank you!
Have to agree. The coach is the biggest problem we have. He would even turn the storm into a rabble. Now we will have to put up with him for another 12 months before they can remove him. It wouldn't matter what players they get Price is not up to it.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Yeah makes you think at times where their logic is......must admit at times I think he might be ok.....but mostly I think cant see it happening.

dragonv

Juniors
Have to agree. The coach is the biggest problem we have. He would even turn the storm into a rabble. Now we will have to put up with him for another 12 months before they can remove him. It wouldn't matter what players they get Price is not up to it.

I won't be surprised if he does alright with a few decent key positional players and it is the SLOW as all heck response with recruitment that is most infuriating.

Our goal line defence is pathetic and Price has to take some blame for that.

bottle

Coach
Be thankful I get to say what you are thinking and you appear to be the righteous one.
Don't humour yourself. You have no idea what I think.
Here's what I think, I think I loathe supporters who are only happy when they get to put the boot in to try and make themselves look right.
I don't need to be righteous, or be seen to be anything. I support the side through thick and thin, and I've been doing so for a long time. I've come across a myriad of 'fan's who are only happy when we're down so they can try and impress with how smart they are.
Again, were you posting when we won a couple?