What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen ... (war is over)

nrlnrl

First Grade
Dragons Recruit Vea For 2012
23/10/2011 1:45:04 PM
The St George Illawarra Dragons announced on Sunday that Atelea Vea has agreed to a one-year contract that will see him join the Club until at least the end of 2012.

The Tonga international, who can play in the front and second rows, began his career with the Cronulla Sharks in 2009 prior to joining the Melbourne Storm in 2011.

The Hurstville United junior has made a career total of 19 NRL appearances to date and will join the Dragons in November.

The Dragons can also confirm they have no interest in signing Todd Carney and have made no formal enquiries about his services despite reports to the contrary.

The Club is currently awaiting the NRL’s determination in regards to Tim Moltzen. For further information on the matter click here.
http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=44676&title=dragons-recruit-vea-for-2012

The Vea signing is months old, what's going on ? We don't need Carney, even if Moltzen stays at the Tigers which is what should happen. ( he doesn't want to leave ). We have enough depth, even if we have to wait for a few to shine like Cummins.

Bring back choc

Juniors
We do NOT have enough depth. Everyone keeps going on and on about our young up and comers. We need quality first graders across the board. The young blokes just fill in when they can. We can't rely on a kid with no 1st grade experience to star for us. I agree 2012 looks average with regards recruitment. Lost a lot of quality. Gained a lot of average talent at best.

The moltzen saga is just running salt into the wound.

The dreaded "re-building" line may be used soon.

Minh

First Grade
I guess it's a chance for Chase, Vidot or Bronx to shine. We still have Kyle Stanley and Cameron King don't, we don't need Moltzen, if we don't do too well in 2012 then I guess a big name recruit or two would be on the cards, we nearly always come up with good playing rosters never fear.:cool:

redvwhite

Juniors
I can't agree with this line of thinking minh. There is quite a list of potential solid first graders in the backs, Stanley A Stanley B both can play, I rate Bronx but he hasn't had his chance to prove himself properly, Vidot has the capacity to score points as well but if we go in with too much reliance on them we are gambling when we don't need to.

"Let's see if it works and then buy up the following year if it doesn't work out". Does that sound like a club hungry for the premiership to you? We don't need to be looking two seasons ahead right now. Keep the eye on the prize while Cooper and company are still running around for us.

gypsy

Bench
Moltzen, his manager and the WT all knew about the verbal agreement to release Moltzen. Without that verbal agreement - which these days is the norm - Moltzen and his manager would not have signed and the WT would have said publically right at the beginning that they had not and will not release him from the rest of his contract. Instead the WT just said Doust was out of line announcing it hours before the Tigers next game.

This is all yesterdays news. Saints are moving on and will sign Carney next week after the Moltzen saga is settled. Moltzen will stay at the Tigers and Saints will be compensated. The salary for Moltzen will be given to Carney.

I have been saying for a few weeks now that Carney is going to be at the Dragons next year. He is looking at a three year deal and I hope it is done and dusted next week. Just waiting for the Moltzen thing to be settled.

At the start:
Hornby to fullback
Carney to halfback
K Stanley to right center

Over time, make changes as necessary. Coach Price is going to be a first up winner in 2012.

Possm,

This is a reason why you shouldn't post unfounded rubbish at all, let alone in 5 different threads. It just serves to make you look 5 times as clueless, and clouds the genuine
stuff provided by posters who have an idea....and have something real and founded to contribute....

Lesson learnt i hope

redvwhite

Juniors
Possm,

This is a reason why you shouldn't post unfounded rubbish at all, let alone in 5 different threads. It just serves to make you look 5 times as clueless, and clouds the genuine
stuff provided by posters who have an idea....and have something real and founded to contribute....

Lesson learnt i hope

Now that, right there, is something worth posting 5 times!

Nonsense from the possm.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So basically we're the losers. No moltzen, no carney (personally that's a bonus for me) but in terms of us signing a replacement for moltzen... We're cactus
Such doom and gloom. Before there was talk of signing Timmy, the general view was that we were not short of utility backs. We have a premiership-winning halves combination. Fullback position is covered within our own ranks, without blinking I can name four fullbacks with first grade experience.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Such doom and gloom. Before there was talk of signing Timmy, the general view was that we were not short of utility backs. We have a premiership-winning halves combination. Fullback position is covered within our own ranks, without blinking I can name four fullbacks with first grade experience.

Exactly, and lets face it. Moltzen with the exception of the last 6 weeks of 2011, his form has been shaky at best. We'd miss his ability to throw a pass from fullback, but we have quite a few capable backs able to fill the role in another way.

The backline has never been our concern moving into 2012. It's the forward pack, we didn't have enough mongrel in 2011.

Most teams would kill for our backline given the balance of experience and depth.

ShaiGuY

First Grade
I'd never heard of him.

Plus, it's old news. Was announced weeks ago. Not sure why they are confirming this again.

Anyway, all very anti - climatic really.

So basically we're the losers. No moltzen, no carney (personally that's a bonus for me) but in terms of us signing a replacement for moltzen... We're cactus

Perhaps we re-announce it when we get official releases (if he was on contract?)

The Nick

Bench
I don't understand why, with $280k spare in the salary cap we would not even make an inquiry regarding Todd Carney's services???

I hope Steve Price has some sort of plan, but either way I think Doust and co. owe us some sort of explanation as to what is going on at the moment.

A press release regarding the signing of some unknown was hardly ever going to ease anyone's anxieties...

We still have a decent squad, but $280k is a massive void!

Father Ted

First Grade
I suspect that if they bid for and win Carney and then we have a ruling in our favour regarding Moltzen we'd be well over the salary cap. Also sponsors have been known to have a discreet word if they don't want someone. For example it's alleged a certain sponsor wants a certain CEO gone at another club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And there appears to be no bidding involved with Carney. It's a case of whoever will take him at a bargain basement price. Sharks have drawn the short straw in a one straw draw.

Bring back choc

Juniors

Don't confuse reality with negativity. Fact is success is built around depth. We have shed a layer and it has not been replaced. You don't need to be Einstein (although Willow tends to think he is) to realize we have not replaced the strength we have lost. When moltzen was coming that definitely reduced the deficit. But it's highly unlikey he will be a dragon by the look of things.

Long story short the players we previously used as depth and fill ins we will now be relying on as our stars.

Not doom and gloom. Just a little reality check. Add to that cuthbo leaving.

Don't get too excited by 2012. Get excited, but not too excited.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Don't confuse reality with negativity. Fact is success is built around depth. We have shed a layer and it has not been replaced. You don't need to be Einstein (although Willow tends to think he is) to realize we have not replaced the strength we have lost. When moltzen was coming that definitely reduced the deficit. But it's highly unlikey he will be a dragon by the look of things.
Such as? Replacing Gasnier and Boyd with Vidot, a fit Goodwin, and Chase Stanley?

Gasnier and Boyd are class players but I'm not sure what you mean by leaving a deficit. We've replaced two players with effectively 3. Not to mention Kyle added to the equation who will play a bigger role than a bitpart bench player this year.

Long story short the players we previously used as depth and fill ins we will now be relying on as our stars.

We've added about 4 or 5 new forwards to our pack depth for next year. Plus talented juniors like De Belin and Market with another year under their belt.

To be honest, we probably have more "depth" in 2012 than we did in 2011. Less stars, but more depth certainly.

Minh

First Grade
It's all good we have been through far worse, 31 years in fact, admittedly the majority of those years we were still very competitive, exciting and heartbreaking. Nothing lasts forever so long as we don't give up trying, the club has always put itself in a good position, let's hope we taste success again sooner rather than later.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

lol. True to form, you can't seem to get through one post without having a bitch about something.

The reality check: For yonks now the policy has been to sign fringe players and discards as well as relying on juniors coming through. A lot of these players have another year of experience under their belts. IMO, our depth is better than you think. Plus I don't believe we'll have to cover for rep duties as much in 2012.

Add to that the Bennett legacy where there no longer exists an acceptance of mediocrity, then we should be able to step up for the foreseeable future.

It's never easy. You might get your wish and we'll struggle. I'm looking at the silver linings. I think we're well placed. I'm looking forward to a great season.

Of course we all get it wrong sometimes Choc. Didn't you once rate Rangi Chase?

getsmarty

Immortal
lol. True to form, you can't seem to get through one post without having a bitch about something.

The reality check: For yonks now the policy has been to sign fringe players and discards as well as relying on juniors coming through. A lot of these players have another year of experience under their belts. IMO, our depth is better than you think. Plus I don't believe we'll have to cover for rep duties as much in 2012.

Add to that the Bennett legacy where there no longer exists an acceptance of mediocrity, then we should be able to step up for the foreseeable future.

It's never easy. You might get your wish and we'll struggle. I'm looking at the silver linings. I think we're well placed. I'm looking forward to a great season.

Of course we all get it wrong sometimes Choc. Didn't you once rate Rangi Chase?

Valid points Willow..agree we will not be hammered by the rep season. I still don't understand us not going for Carney, especially "if" we are going to let Moltzen play @ the tigers. Yes we have options...Kyle Stanley/Bronx goodwin/nightingale for fullback...even possibly Vidot...But would have liked to see us go for Carney. I think there are promising signs for our pack..we have added some big guys...Just worried we don't have the cover in the halves, but that could all change after hornby and fein retire.