What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen ... (war is over)

Bring back choc

Juniors
Such as? Replacing Gasnier and Boyd with Vidot, a fit Goodwin, and Chase Stanley?

Gasnier and Boyd are class players but I'm not sure what you mean by leaving a deficit. We've replaced two players with effectively 3. Not to mention Kyle added to the equation who will play a bigger role than a bitpart bench player this year.

We've added about 4 or 5 new forwards to our pack depth for next year. Plus talented juniors like De Belin and Market with another year under their belt.

To be honest, we probably have more "depth" in 2012 than we did in 2011. Less stars, but more depth certainly.

Points are taken... But I guess we had quality depth. Yes we have added a lot of forwards, but they can only be described as average. No one will challenge for a start. Depth doesn't just mean a lot of players. It's quality players that can fill in and do a job. Anyway i just wish amongst the recruits there was a noted player that brings what our pack is lacking. Cuthbo would go a long way to solving this... But we seem to have lost him too.

Bring back choc

Juniors
LOL! Yep, Rangi has definitely proved the doubters wrong.

Please!! He's playing in the English super league.

Another reality check needed. When he's dominating the NRL then we can wet our pants about rangi
You could be 45 and leading try scorer over there.

Bring back choc

Juniors
lol. True to form, you can't seem to get through one post without having a bitch about something.

The reality check: For yonks now the policy has been to sign fringe players and discards as well as relying on juniors coming through. A lot of these players have another year of experience under their belts. IMO, our depth is better than you think. Plus I don't believe we'll have to cover for rep duties as much in 2012.

Add to that the Bennett legacy where there no longer exists an acceptance of mediocrity, then we should be able to step up for the foreseeable future.

It's never easy. You might get your wish and we'll struggle. I'm looking at the silver linings. I think we're well placed. I'm looking forward to a great season.

Of course we all get it wrong sometimes Choc. Didn't you once rate Rangi Chase?

Mate... You call Jeremy smith, neville costigan and Darius boyd "fringe players"?
please. The more we face realty the quicker problems can be solved. We can't attract players with a coach nobody knows. Simple. We can't even keep cuthbo mate. It's not acceptable for a club of our stature. All the good work of the last few years is void. Needed a big time coach, big time recruits or retentions.
We have neither.
Blows your little policy theory right out the window ey?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Mate... You call Jeremy smith, neville costigan and Darius boyd "fringe players"?
No. But Costigan and Boyd were discards.

Read what I posted.

Bring back choc said:
Blows your little policy theory right out the window ey?
I'll post it again:

For yonks now the policy has been to sign fringe players and discards as well as relying on juniors coming through.

Of course there are exceptions.

But who apart from J Smith has been a marquee signing in recent times? Not many. They are mostly juniors, fringe dwellers, or a player looking for a lifeline... which was my point. We have a good record in this area.

You mention Cuthbertson. He wasn't wanted by anyone, a scummer on the outer of all things. But we signed him and he turned things around. A perfect example of picking up a discard.

Some supporters hit the panic button because we appeared to be swapping him for J Smith. Now Cuthbo's one of the fan favourites. Why the club seems reluctant to keep him for 2012 is anyone's guess. Your theory is as good as the bloke's down the street.

Bring back choc said:
Please!! He's playing in the English super league.

Another reality check needed. When he's dominating the NRL then we can wet our pants about rangi
You could be 45 and leading try scorer over there.
LOL!

Please don't tell me you've turned your back on Rangi.

Guvner

First Grade
Prepare for bad news on this one. Im hearing Tauber has F*&ked this up and the result will be Moltzen staying, Benji looking for a new manager and us with Sweet FA.

Cuthbertson was offered a new deal and he never responded he was a fat lazy slob that the Dragons basically gave him a new lease on life and he tried to screw them for more money adios buddy.

Moltzen if he wasn't such a toss would have come over and became a star but no he wants to stay with that wank of a club so be it.

So I gather bring back choc having as many rep players as the Dragons do isn't good enough makes me wonder what you want what clubs really can entice a super star player with the cao the way it is.

redvwhite

Juniors
Picking a bad week to bring this up considering they were thrashed for the first time in yonks but what keeps a club like Manchester United right up near the top year after year is tight, proud management.

It would be going off a bit early to suggest we don't have something that resembles this but it looks like St George are A) going to lose out on a player that signed with them and changed his mind and B) accept they were defeated and not patch up the gap because they are too scared to give Carney a go.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Agree with Willow. We won a competition on the back of juniors and discards. If it can happen once, it can happen again.

IMO Cuthbertson is a bit of dog. The Dragons paid him, not Bennett. He got given a lifeline and he should repay the faith the club showed in him and sign on. I hope he fails wherever he ends up because the guy obviously has no moral integrity. Moltzen falls into the same bracket. These players think their shit doesn't stink and they would be nothing without the support of the fans who pay their wages at the gate and by bumping up TV ratings to fund the game. They earn a living off us and then turn around and want anonymity, or more money, or less scrutiny, well f**k them.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Prepare for bad news on this one. Im hearing Tauber has F*&ked this up and the result will be Moltzen staying, Benji looking for a new manager and us with Sweet FA.
Not bad news for us. Maybe bad news for Tauber.

Timmy can keep on 'bawling his eyes out' and stay with the club and supporters that wanted to dump him. WT's problem now. For Saints, she'll be right.

Breathingfire and coast_dragons, that's how it would seem on the surface with Cuthbertson, but loyalty is a two way street. Players are only so good for so long and need to make as much money as possible.

I know he was playing for a contract in the finals match in Brisbane, but he was tremendous in spearheading our comeback. I'm guessing that Cuthbo feels that he had a lot to do with the hard work to get himself fit, and feels he now deserves to at least maintain his 2010 earnings, which I recall was around $250K when you throw in the Sharks $200K. If so, it's a tricky one because Saints aren't about to go from $50K to $250K for a player who was playing park football the year before.

Has he been confirmed for Newcastle yet?

grouch

First Grade
Picking a bad week to bring this up considering they were thrashed for the first time in yonks but what keeps a club like Manchester United right up near the top year after year is tight, proud management.

It would be going off a bit early to suggest we don't have something that resembles this but it looks like St George are A) going to lose out on a player that signed with them and changed his mind and B) accept they were defeated and not patch up the gap because they are too scared to give Carney a go.
We have a salary cap, unlike EPL. Also unlike the EPL more than 4 clubs can win the comp in any given year. This is a good thing

b) Carney is not just a douche he's an overrated douche. The club is right on this one

Breathingfire

Juniors
I know he was playing for a contract in the finals match in Brisbane, but he was tremendous in spearheading our comeback. I'm guessing that Cuthbo feels that he had a lot to do with the hard work to get himself fit, and feels he now deserves to at least maintain his 2010 earnings, which I recall was around $250K when you throw in the Sharks $200K. If so, it's a tricky one because Saints aren't about to go from $50K to $250K for a player who was playing park football the year before.

Has he been confirmed for Newcastle yet?

When you put it like that, it does make sense.

Puff

First Grade
Manchester United right up near the top year after year is tight, proud management.

I loled at this, becauase the reason they are at the top has nothing to do with that. It is more to do with outspending the rest. Man city this year have taken that mantle, and it showed in the 6-1 thrashing the other night. Alex Fergie is the greatest spin doctor in modern football history. If he says its so, its so, if he told you he spends nothing I guess its so - LOL.

redvwhite

Juniors
I loled at this, becauase the reason they are at the top has nothing to do with that. It is more to do with outspending the rest. Man city this year have taken that mantle, and it showed in the 6-1 thrashing the other night. Alex Fergie is the greatest spin doctor in modern football history. If he says its so, its so, if he told you he spends nothing I guess its so - LOL.

Ok you have confirmed my point so my time to LOL at you.

If you have money, SPEND IT!! Get the most value you can out there on the park.

"Oh no, she'll be right, mate..."

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Saints management has been top class but they still seem to get bagged especially Doust. We may have lost a few players in the past but the common theme is those players lost were not local juniors. To hold onto Cooper, Morris, Hornby, Creagh, Young, Nighty, Prior, and bring back Gaz and Beau Scott in the last 10 years is a freakish effort. Not many teams with that much quality has been able to hold on to them that is for sure.

Only local junior lost really that hurt in the past is Josh Morris but to go to the Dogs really shows how much of a Saints fan he is. The biggest enemy imo.

If Molzen does not sign I am sure Kyle Stanley will fill the void. If anything not having Molzen may give Kyle more chance to show us his class. Just hope he stays injury free. If Molzen signs Kyle may have a harder time cementing a spot in First Grade.

Latest posts