What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen ... (war is over)

Father Ted

First Grade
Wests Tigers back Tim on shoulder injury

Glenn Jackson

November 4, 2011

WESTS TIGERS officials have denied Tim Moltzen needs shoulder surgery after St George Illawarra officials accused him of being dishonest in contract negotiations.
The Dragons might have surrendered the battle for Moltzen's signature, but not before claiming the fullback had not disclosed a pre-existing ailment during their discussions.
Their chief executive Peter Doust said of a meeting with Moltzen: ''He in fact told me that his surgeon had advised that very morning that his shoulder would require six months of rehabilitation.

"The shoulder injury was something that Tim or his manager [Martin Tauber] had not previously disclosed and something that would have influenced the club's decision [to sign Moltzen to a three-year contract] in July.''
Moltzen said yesterday he was still discussing his treatment with medical staff. Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said: ''Tim did carry a shoulder injury through a fair bit of season 2011, and as his form, particularly in the last couple of months of the competition, would indicate, he was able to play with that injury and manage it quite successfully.
''He has sought some advice from a surgeon, who has indicated that surgery is one option to consider. At this stage, it's likely he would opt out of surgery and choose to manage it, as he successfully did [this year].''

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Looks like Timmy told Saints he'll need surgery, but told Wests he can play on without surgery.

Timmy and his manager have already gone to some lengths to renege on a signed contract, no surprise to see the bs is still flowing.

Meanwhile, Wests look happy to use Timmy in 2012, until he is busted, then dump him.

Father Ted

First Grade
Don't think he will get much sympathy when it happens. Tim and the Tigers are kind of free and easy with the truth imo.

Bring back choc

Juniors
There's no doubt the dragons have been somewhat played here. We have been beaten on a technicality which really is all our clubs fault. Doust did screw this up of when all is said and done.
I don't agree with whats happened, but we went to sleep on this. Big time.

I guess the positive is that in the end moltzen has turned out to be a little douche bag.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's no doubt the dragons have been somewhat played here. We have been beaten on a technicality which really is all our clubs fault. Doust did screw this up of when all is said and done.
I don't agree with whats happened, but we went to sleep on this. Big time.

I guess the positive is that in the end moltzen has turned out to be a little douche bag.
Screw the technicalities. They knew what they were doing when they invited Moltzen to look elsewhere. For all intents and purposes, WT told the world that Timmy was being cut loose. There's even plenty of WT supporters who don't absolve their club of any blame in the manner that you have just done.

I place the blame entirely on the shoulders of WT, Moltzen and Tauber. Saints acted in good faith from the get go.

It seems that some people believe that not following through on agreements is normal business, or worse, they believe that being dishonest in your dealings is clever business. Equally, some believe that anyone who places stock in a man's word is a fool. IMO that's a screwed up sense of values.

It should go without saying that reneging on a deal is considered poor form and bad business, regardless of what business you're in.

gypsy

Bench
Timmy staying at the Tigers means he can't co-star in this!

Damn the LOL@50UFF$ thread for getting me addicted to this stuff!

onceweretigers.jpg

age.s

First Grade
Looking forward to the Dragons/Tigers match(es) next year if I'm honest. Should be good fun.

duck_dodgers

Juniors
The reality is that nobody in this forum is privy to actual words said between WT , TM , MT & PD .

ATM everyone is passing the blame without having the full facts at hand .

All you Lizard supporters claiming moral high ground status should wait until PD takes it to court ... in fact you should demand that he does ... after all according to the majority here , the Lizards are in the right .

although my guess it will go the same way as

Broncos v Inglis
Rabbitohs v Lewis
Rabbitohs v Elford
Titans v Turner

p.s.

PD shouldve shut his trap re the signing until after the season finished . As the Dogs did re Hasler & Eels did re Hopoate . PD's lack of class failed him and your club , big time . That is undeniable .

gypsy

Bench
The reality is that nobody in this forum is privy to actual words said between WT , TM , MT & PD .

ATM everyone is passing the blame without having the full facts at hand .

All you Lizard supporters claiming moral high ground status should wait until PD takes it to court ... in fact you should demand that he does ... after all according to the majority here , the Lizards are in the right .

although my guess it will go the same way as

Broncos v Inglis
Rabbitohs v Lewis
Rabbitohs v Elford
Titans v Turner

p.s.

PD shouldve shut his trap re the signing until after the season finished . As the Dogs did re Hasler & Eels did re Hopoate . PD's lack of class failed him and your club , big time . That is undeniable .

DD is clueless.

Inglis and Lewis never signed on the dotted line, just a minor difference there...
Turner was released in exchange for 2 Storm players, meaning the matter ended there.
This is quite a bit different, but it's clear from your previous posts we might be flogging a dead horse trying to explain it to you.

Doust, or PD if you insist, done the right thing announcing the signing, he was transparent with the Tigers, and gave them the time needed to sort out a replacement for 2012. The fact that nothing was said for months, until Lui-gate shows the Tigers trying to have their cake and eat it too. If Lui didn't bash his missus (allegedly) do you think pea-heart Moltzen would be a tiger next year?

Oh and P.S

Anyone who supports how the Tigers have handled this, shouldn't be using the word 'Class'
You've had a CEO look extremely shady, an agent with a chance of getting his accreditation ripped up, a player who is now mud across the NRL (even seems to have an injury when it suits)....and all this because of a wife beater.

Class!

Last edited:

emack

Juniors
F&^k dd, go play in the traffic for a while, maybe it'll knock some sense into you..................on 2nd thoughts, probably knocks to the head are why your already as clueless as you are??

gypsy

Bench
LOL@Moltz3n

From the Daily Telegraph:

Slowly Moltzen away

TIM Moltzen has fought like an innocent man on the Green Mile to fulfil the final year of his contract with the Wests Tigers, despite signing a three-year deal with the Dragons in August.

We're told the club's suits are already concerned about what it means for their salary cap next season with big-name Storm recruit Adam Blair about to hit Tiger Town.

We're also hearing Moltzen is next to no chance of staying with the club after that for the same reason. Whoever is advising the 23-year-old is doing a very, very ordinary job of it.

Despite claims the Dragons will pursue compensation in the courts after missing out on Moltzen, we're expecting this ugly contract dispute to finally die a slow death.

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/win-put-giteau-at-the-four-front/story-e6freye0-1226186359377

sethman75

Juniors
LOL@Moltz3n

Slowly Moltzen away

TIM Moltzen has fought like an innocent man on the Green Mile to fulfil the final year of his contract with the Wests Tigers, despite signing a three-year deal with the Dragons in August.

We're told the club's suits are already concerned about what it means for their salary cap next season with big-name Storm recruit Adam Blair about to hit Tiger Town.

We're also hearing Moltzen is next to no chance of staying with the club after that for the same reason. Whoever is advising the 23-year-old is doing a very, very ordinary job of it.

Despite claims the Dragons will pursue compensation in the courts after missing out on Moltzen, we're expecting this ugly contract dispute to finally die a slow death.

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/win-put-giteau-at-the-four-front/story-e6freye0-1226186359377

Baha ha ha!!!

It gets better for the tigers and Moltzen.

If they sign Molzten even for a year, Doust should be sending in the salary cap wolves because there must be something fishy going on.

Minh

First Grade
LOL@Moltz3n

Slowly Moltzen away

:lol:

The w#nker deserves everything he gets.

Bring back choc

Juniors
Screw the technicalities. They knew what they were doing when they invited Moltzen to look elsewhere. For all intents and purposes, WT told the world that Timmy was being cut loose. There's even plenty of WT supporters who don't absolve their club of any blame in the manner that you have just done.

I place the blame entirely on the shoulders of WT, Moltzen and Tauber. Saints acted in good faith from the get go.

It seems that some people believe that not following through on agreements is normal business, or worse, they believe that being dishonest in your dealings is clever business. Equally, some believe that anyone who places stock in a man's word is a fool. IMO that's a screwed up sense of values.

It should go without saying that reneging on a deal is considered poor form and bad business, regardless of what business you're in.

Not sure if you're in the business world Willow, but saints look like the work experience kid in afraid. All emotion aside footy is a business. WT technically have done nothing wrong. We should have foreseen issues far sooner and we should not have let it go on this long.

That's business mate. I don't disagree with the way you feel, but we got our pants pulled down because we "assumed". A good learning curve I would think.

Anyway like I said, moltzen turned out to be a dip shit anyway.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not sure if you're in the business world Willow
Not me, I have never spoken on a business level in all my years. The 'never trust a handshake' guys are way too clever for me.

But Chuckles, given past experience, I feel I should point out that I am being sarcastic.

WT have done everything wrong. Moltzen made a bird of it by bawling his eyes out. If you can't see that, go follow them. If you can't see the stupidity in defaulting on an agreement that sees a player playing less time for less money when a healthy three-year deal was on offer, then bugger me.

At least we agree that the Moltz is a doltz.

LOL@Moltz3n

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Further to this Chuckles, there is no sound business practice going on here at the WT end.

Think about it.

A player has turned his back on 3 years, a deal that would reportedly earn him $840,000 before tax. That's close enough to $5400 per week, and more than a lot of families could earn in 10 years.

Add the 'box seat' factor, ie the security of deal and the potential to set himself up for future contracts, then it looks very good indeed. But he said no.

His current employer (Wests Tigers) has risked a salary cap audit to keep a player for one year, a player they had previously shown the door.

Plus Moltz3n, Wests/Tigers and Tauber have been given a black mark across the board in the NRL business world.

To recover from this, the Moltz would have to play 10x better than Changa, Tauber would have to cure cancer and Humphreys will have to turn copper into gold. Otherwise, their names are mud.

How is this good business?