What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

betcats

Referee
So because he's playing a different style of fullback to how you think a fullback should play, he's not really playing fullback?

He played fullback.

He is playing FB yes but he gets as many touches at first receiver as Cleary I think they said he got more last week, and way more than Bryce so he is essentially playing as a half as well.

mxlegend99

Referee
So because he's playing a different style of fullback to how you think a fullback should play, he's not really playing fullback?

He played fullback.
He played at fullback and halves.

His role as a half he gets an A+ for. His role at fullback he gets a C for
Hes playing halves when we are on the attack and thats where he is killing it. He might have the 1 on his back and be there at times. But its clearly not his strength as a player.

He proves every week his strengths are as a half. His flaws are contesting and returning kicks... although he did get a nice kick return in this match. But he also spilled a bomb cold with no pressure.

This was just like Moylan in Origin. Failing at the fullback tasks. Excelling at the halves side of things

betcats

Referee
It's an interesting arrangement atm, for next season my preference is still to shift Moylan to the halves as I think that is when we will see his best footy but I gotta admit it will be interesting to see what Griffin can get out of a spine of Moylan, TMM, Cleary and Wallace along with Cartwright in the back row if that's how he goes. If he can get them all combining like they have been the last few months it will be exciting.

ammatt

Juniors
I was always on the Moylan to 5/8 bandwagon, but watching the game tonight I thought why bother moving him at all.
He plays as a 5/8 in attack which leaves us with 3 options in Moylan, Cleary and Cartwright.
It also gives us the added advantage of having 7 forwards on the field.
I would not be surprised to see the same side rolled out next year

I was always on the Moylan to 5/8 bandwagon, but watching the game tonight I thought why bother moving him at all.
He plays as a 5/8 in attack which leaves us with 3 options in Moylan, Cleary and Cartwright.
It also gives us the added advantage of having 7 forwards on the field.
I would not be surprised to see the same side rolled out next year

Hope not. Cartwright is fine at 5/8th for now but shouldn't be there next year for a full season. Is a weapon in the 2nd row. All depends on TMM's off season.

maple_69

Bench
Every time Moylan makes one error he's slammed for being weak under the high ball. He's not. He makes the odd bad error but is generally very safe. He isn't a great kick returner but he uses DWZ and Mansour masterfully. His running game is coming back rapidly because defenders just don't know what to do with him and its created space for him despite his lack of searing pace, acceleration of strength. I think Carty definitely needs to go back to the second row but I think we give Martin his chance first. If we had to change it 8 rounds in Moylan would have no issues switching to 5/8 mid season. He'd just have to make a few more tackles. In the form Dallin is in Id be fine with him dropping back as well.

soc123_au

Staff member
I want to see Cleary, TMM, Wal & Moylan start off next year. That spine with Bryce doing his thing in the backrow will be tough to defend against. Both Cleary & TMM have shown they are strong defensively, so we loose nothing there. If TMM doesnt kick on then Moylan moves into the 6.

Kilkenny

Coach
This Moylan to 5/8 debate is dead in the water. Why would you play him at 5/8 when he does what he did tonight. He is a fullback, our fullback for a few years to come. Absolutely no need to change anything in regard to Matty. Heaven knows how good we can be next season if TMM get's a good off season and fulfills his undoubted potential allowing Bryce to drop back to the back row.

maple_69

Bench
The other point of Moylan potentially not making Origin because he plays fullback at club level will be irrelevant at this rate. He can't be left out. He's the best playmaker in NSW.

forby

Juniors
If it is working, why change it?
It is a way of making the best out of what is there. Mansour and DWZ provide the kick returns when needed.
Moylan's defence can't be too bad if we haven't had many tries scored against us in the last 6 or so matches, and when was the last time a team scored from a bomb against us?

mxlegend99

Referee
This Moylan to 5/8 debate is dead in the water. Why would you play him at 5/8 when he does what he did tonight. He is a fullback, our fullback for a few years to come. Absolutely no need to change anything in regard to Matty. Heaven knows how good we can be next season if TMM get's a good off season and fulfills his undoubted potential allowing Bryce to drop back to the back row.
Why would we move him fully into the role he has played the past 2 months and remove the only weakness from his game?

So that he has no weakness at all as a player. Atleast no standout weakness anyway. He gets more touches at half and 5/8 then our halves do and he has come on in leaps and bounds since inserting himself into our attack like that.

We cant change it this year at this point of the season. But it has to happen next year. Every week he proves his strength is as a half and he has had a bomb put down the past 3 weeks in a row. This was just the first that was ruled a knock on.

That's not to say his replacement at 1 wouldn't drop them too. That's just to say he does have flaws at the back... and what flaw does he have as a half? Some argued he couldnt play one or two passes off the scrum... yet he has looked more dangerous than ever doing so. He's the form half of the competition. Hes just doing a decent job at fullback also.

We have a few options at fullback who could be just as safe at the back and offer up kick returns and have someone coming onto the ball at pace with our sweeping plays. Im all for dwz to fullback. Blake to wing. Whare into centre. Once Whare has proven his fitness ofcourse

betcats

Referee

You move him because he is such a natural playmaker. The defensive side of playing FB is by far the hardest part of the position so why load up your best playmaker and creator with that extra work load and responsibility? Move him to 6 and lets see how good he really is. We have plenty of good options for FB besides Moylan.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeh mate, he's playing terribly at fullback at the moment....

So terrible he won Man of the match. He has all this space because he is fullback you make him halves he does have that space. A few of those kicks were just placed perfectly no guarantee he gets to them better off playing for the bounce

franklin2323

Immortal
You move him because he is such a natural playmaker. The defensive side of playing FB is by far the hardest part of the position so why load up your best playmaker and creator with that extra work load and responsibility? Move him to 6 and lets see how good he really is. We have plenty of good options for FB besides Moylan.

Fullback he has space he wouldn't have at 6

mxlegend99

Referee
Do you even watchthe games? Hes playing first and second receiver already. He wont lose space... he will have the.same space he has now.

He was playing wider early in the year and had less time and space to work with. They have highlighted how he got shut down earlier in the tear and now he's getting the vall earlier he's better for it.

The only area he would change at all is fielding kick returns.

betcats

Referee

When? He is at first and second receiver all game. He is not playing a fb role with the ball outside of taking kicks. They said in the commentary yesterday he had more touches at first receiver then Cleary did last week. This is my point, he isn't playing as a FB letting the halves run the team and chiming in on the backline plays like a second 5/8th, he is playing as a half and our dominant play maker getting more touches than either of our actual halves. Its a big ask having him do that as well as defend at FB, let him focus on the position he is more suited too and I think he will go to another level.

age.s

First Grade
The discussion seems kind of pointless at this stage. We're deep into the pointy end of the season and it would be crazy to change things for any other reason than injury. There are a number of possibilities for next year but we've got a full offseason before any decision needs to be made so lots of water to go under the bridge.

franklin2323

Immortal
When? He is at first and second receiver all game. He is not playing a fb role with the ball outside of taking kicks. They said in the commentary yesterday he had more touches at first receiver then Cleary did last week. This is my point, he isn't playing as a FB letting the halves run the team and chiming in on the backline plays like a second 5/8th, he is playing as a half and our dominant play maker getting more touches than either of our actual halves. Its a big ask having him do that as well as defend at FB, let him focus on the position he is more suited too and I think he will go to another level.

Look at the Wallace try. Late in the tackle he was able to just pop up in the attacking line and do his thing. Harder for defence to know where or when a FB will come up. Compare that to a half that stands either left of right side usually 4 in. Can be targeted in defence and attack easier that way. Not saying we shouldn't try it just not sure he will be better then he is now as a half