What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney & Steve Irwin under investigation?

Titanic

First Grade
Matt23 said:
No driving for him for quite a while...

If he currently drives while suspended then he won't care if his licence is suspended again - habitual offenders don't give a ratz.

innsaneink

Referee
Not the brightest thing to be doing only a matter of weeks after you just been handed a 'GOOD BEHAVIOUR BOND', and 5 year suspension later reduced to two.

Beaks dont like being made to look the fool.

The NRL did de-register that saints player for doing something similar, so why should they de-register carney?

In saying that, how can players be so incredibly stupid?

bluesbreaker

Bench
Glad I didn't put that $100 @ 7-1 now for the 8. by Monday when this thing clears up the odds will skyrocket. This bloke must be a real dill. I figured as much from his poofy star tattoos, but this just confirms things.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
It doesn't look good for him, but lets not jump to conclusions eh. Wait for the process to be carried out and then worry about whatever punishment (if any) it is that Carney will have to cop.

Its a shame that such a good promising player seems to have not learnt from his past discretions.

Iafeta

Referee
Incredibly sad on a number of counts. Firstly, Todd Carney was becoming a player of extreme quality, he could have been a real marquee player for Canberra for years to come, as well as a State and International rep. I didn't think he had as much going for him as some said initially, but there's not many better five eighths in the game, goes to the line strongly, good kicking game, good passing game.

Secondly, he is exactly the type of organiser Canberra need. A youngish team, they were helped big time by Jason Smith get around the track in previous years, and now Carney had assumed that role. He was someone who could have built a Stuart/Mullins relationship with William Zillman.

Doesn't sound good for him, which is incredibly unfortunate for our game.

miccle

Bench
scottyj said:
coz they r human

Me too! Let's just check and have a look at my recent convictions, shall we?

Assaults... no, none of those.
Rape/domestic violence... no.
Drugs.... no.
Drink driving.... no.
Offensive behaviour/drunk in public... no.

Bugger. Here I am at 22 years of age and the only way Qld Police knows that I exist is the fact that I got booked for going 68 in a 60 zone at 5am on the way to work one day around 18 months ago.

It's not because they're human, it's because they're stupid.

Dutchy

Immortal
Not all humans are stupid. And not all players get in trouble.

Miccle - players arent super...or above us all...they have faults

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
scottyj said:

This is the 3rd or 4th time Todd's done something liek this. His license is already suspended for 5 years so he shouldn't have even been driving let alone being involved in a pursuit with the cops.
Once is a mistake, 3-4 times is repeated stupidity.

t-ba

Post Whore
scottyj said:

And like us, they have to some times pay the price.

I think Todd will, unfortunately for Rugby League, be paying that price.

The first two charges aren't just stupid, they are downright dangerous.

LESStar58

Referee
Dodger said:
For the record, official source:

RAIDERS PLAYERS SUSPENDED

Canberra Raiders players Todd Carney and Steve Irwin have been suspended by the club, after being involved in a traffic incident in the ACT.

The incident occurred on Friday May 18, and the matter is now under investigation by ACT policing.

Both players will be unavailable for selection until the matter has been resolved.

Canberra Raiders CEO Simon Hawkins said the club would investigate the matter.

"The Raiders are working with ACT Policing and now need to let the investigation take its course," Hawkins said.

"Until this time both players have been suspended indefinitely and their future with the club will be determined at a later date."

The NRL has been informed about the incident.

http://www.rugbyleaguelive.com/news_article.asp?cid=803

This is what sets the NRL clubs apart from teams in say, the AFL. The NRL clubs have the cajones to deal with players who misbehave accordingly.

Latu was sacked straight away last year because his incident was so severe.

As for Carney and Irwin I think it's the right course of action. Suspended indefiently and when it all comes out in the wash they'll either be put on notice or sacked straight away which is a waste when you think about it.

The AFL are moving to a centralised disciplanry system for serious offenses starting in 2008. Obviously they don't trust their clubs to take relevant actions against their respective reprobates.

El Diablo

Post Whore
He could consider a career in the AFL. these kind of incidents happen every second day there.

Latest posts