What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett - Attacking Coach.

betcats

Referee
Could always put him on gardening leave.

Yeah we could do that but if we are paying him we may as well use since things are going so well atm.

We have a tight playing group now and the coach's son is part of, if Barrett is trying to get into some of the players ears about going to the dogs next season it wont be a secret. Im happy to back the club on this, they will have considered this issue as soon as the Dogs reached out to Brandy and asked permission to talk to Barrett.

Black Magik

Juniors
Yep. Just having stories in sporting pages is like a smoke signal that they are interested so don't make any decisions until we have a chat.

Approach and prepare a big deal are 2 different things.Third Parties have been used for decades

Sorry I was being sarcastic.
I have heard about all the underhanded deals clubs and managers get up to over the years.

Offically no. They do things like get in his brothers ear to sound out him going there. Stuff like that

It could go the other way too. His brother could tell him what a basketcase the club is right now.
Constant infighting etc.

From what I'm reading it will be for 2021 onwards (if it happens)

He's been warned off taking any players Penrith want.

Barrett has promised to keep Penrith in the loop.

Looks like he will stay on for the remainder of the year.

According to Dean Ritchie in daily telegraph.

(Sorry but I'm not clever enough to share the story)

This one?

Dean Pay: Panthers won’t stand in Trent Barretts way for Bulldogs coaching job
You can coach – but don’t poach.

Penrith would grant Trent Barrett an early release to coach Canterbury but he would leave with a stern warning: Don’t try to take our young guns with you.

The second-placed Panthers have a stunning young side, including four gun halves, Barrett may be tempted to entice to Belmore, should he accepts the Bulldogs top job.

Canterbury confirmed on Tuesday morning that coach Dean Pay had stood down immediately with Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill insisting the club “did not rush into this decision.”

Bulldogs management is understood to be well advanced in discussions with Barrett on a likely three-year deal, although there are still senior figures at Penrith who believe Barrett will reject the Bulldogs.

Canterbury is yet to lodge a formal offer to Barrett with the club insisting there is still interest in other coaches.

Should Barrett decline, which is unlikely, the Bulldogs would then consider Anthony Griffin, Brett Kimmorley, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler, Kevin Walters and England coach Shaun Wane. The left-field choice would be English rugby union coach, Eddie Jones.

Penrith would allow assistant coach Barrett out of his 2021 deal but don’t want him trying to pinch key players if he joins Canterbury.

Penrith is stacked with halves talent in Nathan Cleary, 22, Jarome Luai, 23, Matt Burton, 20, and Tyrone May, 24.

The Bulldogs have had the NRL’s worst attack over the past two seasons.
The Daily Telegraph spoke to several well-placed sources at Penrith who want it known Barrett shouldn’t use his relationship with the young halves to lure any of them away from the Panthers.

Cleary is signed long-term, although Luai and Burton are off contract after next season while May’s deal ends after this year. Penrith does hope to lock him down shortly.

While aware Barrett would want to immediately involve himself in retention and recruitment at Canterbury when he signs, The Daily Telegraph has been told Penrith has no plans to stand him down from his assistant coaching role for the rest of this season.

Barrett has promised Penrith he would keep everyone updated on his negotiations with Canterbury.

The former Manly head coach was spotted in deep discussion with manager Wayne Beavis at a Woollahra coffee shop on Monday. No Bulldogs officials were at the meeting.

The Daily Telegraph spoke to several well-placed sources at Penrith who want it known Barrett shouldn’t use his relationship with the young halves to lure any of them away from the Panthers.

Cleary is signed long-term, although Luai and Burton are off contract after next season while May’s deal ends after this year. Penrith does hope to lock him down shortly.

While aware Barrett would want to immediately involve himself in retention and recruitment at Canterbury when he signs, The Daily Telegraph has been told Penrith has no plans to stand him down from his assistant coaching role for the rest of this season.

Barrett has promised Penrith he would keep everyone updated on his negotiations with Canterbury.

The former Manly head coach was spotted in deep discussion with manager Wayne Beavis at a Woollahra coffee shop on Monday. No Bulldogs officials were at the meeting.
Speaking on The Big Sports Breakfast morning radio program, former NSW captain and coach Laurie Daley urged Barrett to think long and hard before joining the Bulldogs.

“If it‘s Trent, he’s got one more opportunity. If he fails at his next job, well he’s no longer going to be a first-grade coach. I think if he sits back and waits, he will get an opportunity somewhere down the path,” Daley said.

“Penrith will have success for the next five years, the way they‘re going with all these young players coming through So I don’t think he needs to rush into making a decision, just because it’s the first available job. If I was him, if I was guiding him, I’d be saying, ’Mate, be very, very careful’.”
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/3a86c595e38fc95d753d7b8da3eb205f

WestyLife

First Grade
Funny thing is we do have players they could use to help but it wouldn't be what they'd expect. Guys like Tamou, Whare, Mansour who are experienced who could lead the way in preparation etc. Would be amazing for them.

Kilkenny

Coach
Funny thing is we do have players they could use to help but it wouldn't be what they'd expect. Guys like Tamou, Whare, Mansour who are experienced who could lead the way in preparation etc. Would be amazing for them.

I would expect we will have Whare and Mansour for 2021 which is the last year on there current deals. They are not on huge money and they money was already built in to our cap going forward into 2021.

The Tamou situation is different is so much as he obviously wants to extend his career, understandably, and lock in his future. He wants 3 years and it would appear we may not be so accomodating on that aspect.

WestyLife

First Grade
I would expect we will have Whare and Mansour for 2021 which is the last year on there current deals. They are not on huge money and they money was already built in to our cap going forward into 2021.

The Tamou situation is different is so much as he obviously wants to extend his career, understandably, and lock in his future. He wants 3 years and it would appear we may not be so accomodating on that aspect.

Definitely. I was more commenting on what would help them rather than what we should get rid of. They need a few experienced players who can bring a good attitude to the club.

Kilkenny

Coach
Definitely. I was more commenting on what would help them rather than what we should get rid of. They need a few experienced players who can bring a good attitude to the club.

If Josh and Dean can do better for themselves elsewhere I have no issues with them leaving but they do not deserve to be frozen out. I’m not sure either would be attractive propositions for any club in reality given there age and the fact there best is behind them but I think both can fulfil a valuable role for us in there last year in 2021 even if not automatic selection in our top 17.

murraymob

Coach
Interesting the papers saying Alexander gave permission for him to go.He is now saying that not true right now on fox footy show

WestyLife

First Grade
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...9374923f56cd12a8848?__twitter_impression=true

Phil Gould reveals Panthers’ succession plan involving Cleary and Barrett

Former Penrith boss Phil Gould has lifted the lid on his plan to make Trent Barrett succeed Ivan Cleary as Panthers head coach.

Gould floated a succession plan involving Cleary shifting to the general manager of football role when he was last at the club in 2015, before Barrett ultimately took a head coaching position at the Sea Eagles.

“There’s only so many jobs available and they only come up so often,” Gould said on WWOS’ Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

“[Then Manly head of football] Bob Fulton asked me about him and I said, ‘look, I think Trent will make a great coach I really do, of all the blokes I’ve ever been involved with I really rate him’.

“And he decided to take up an opportunity with the Manly Sea Eagles, and it was probably a little before his time and I think it was great experience for him and I felt, ‘well, if you’re going to go and make some mistakes, go and make them somewhere else,’ and I always had it in my view that one day he would come back to the Panthers. That was always in my long-term plans.

“And I said to Ivan when Ivan came back the second time, I said ‘my long-term plan was for Ivan to come back and replace me and for Trent Barrett to come back as head coach’, that was the dream team that I could see.”

However the Bulldogs look set to end any succession plans at least in the short-term after they entered negotiations to lure Barrett to Belmore.

Gould knew Barrett was a future head coach in the making as far back as 2012 when he came to speak to the Panthers’ halfback Academy.

“Trent was so impressive, out of all the blokes that came to lecture there and work with them, it was obvious to me straight away that he was a coach,” Gould said.

“And I said to him, I remember at the time, I said, ‘what are you doing with yourself?’ and I said ‘have you got any desires to coach’ and he said, ‘I’ve thought about it’ and I said, ‘well there’s a job here for you if you do’.

“And I think he came in and coached, I think it was the year after, I think it was 2014, he came in and coached our under 20s side and did a really great job, his assistant was Cameron Ciraldo, who’d come to play with us and I put Cameron with Trent Barrett to coach our under 20s and the following year we made Trent Barrett an assistant coach to Ivan Cleary with the first grade side.”

Time will tell if Barrett is destined to be the head coach at the Panthers, but for now his future looks elsewhere.

Bob

Juniors
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...9374923f56cd12a8848?__twitter_impression=true

Phil Gould reveals Panthers’ succession plan involving Cleary and Barrett

Former Penrith boss Phil Gould has lifted the lid on his plan to make Trent Barrett succeed Ivan Cleary as Panthers head coach.

Gould floated a succession plan involving Cleary shifting to the general manager of football role when he was last at the club in 2015, before Barrett ultimately took a head coaching position at the Sea Eagles.

“There’s only so many jobs available and they only come up so often,” Gould said on WWOS’ Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

“[Then Manly head of football] Bob Fulton asked me about him and I said, ‘look, I think Trent will make a great coach I really do, of all the blokes I’ve ever been involved with I really rate him’.

“And he decided to take up an opportunity with the Manly Sea Eagles, and it was probably a little before his time and I think it was great experience for him and I felt, ‘well, if you’re going to go and make some mistakes, go and make them somewhere else,’ and I always had it in my view that one day he would come back to the Panthers. That was always in my long-term plans.

“And I said to Ivan when Ivan came back the second time, I said ‘my long-term plan was for Ivan to come back and replace me and for Trent Barrett to come back as head coach’, that was the dream team that I could see.”

However the Bulldogs look set to end any succession plans at least in the short-term after they entered negotiations to lure Barrett to Belmore.

Gould knew Barrett was a future head coach in the making as far back as 2012 when he came to speak to the Panthers’ halfback Academy.

“Trent was so impressive, out of all the blokes that came to lecture there and work with them, it was obvious to me straight away that he was a coach,” Gould said.

“And I said to him, I remember at the time, I said, ‘what are you doing with yourself?’ and I said ‘have you got any desires to coach’ and he said, ‘I’ve thought about it’ and I said, ‘well there’s a job here for you if you do’.

“And I think he came in and coached, I think it was the year after, I think it was 2014, he came in and coached our under 20s side and did a really great job, his assistant was Cameron Ciraldo, who’d come to play with us and I put Cameron with Trent Barrett to coach our under 20s and the following year we made Trent Barrett an assistant coach to Ivan Cleary with the first grade side.”

Time will tell if Barrett is destined to be the head coach at the Panthers, but for now his future looks elsewhere.
Hardly new news, Gus wanted Baz to replace Griffin not Ivan