What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

M2D2

Bench
they did make the best decision
:lol: what bullshit.
At least with Gallop in charge we knew we were a 99% chance of getting f**ked over a barrel 9/fox.
All this hope to be undone and getting back into bed with the same merkins for just more money is disgusting and the worst decision for the game since Super league.

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
ARLC should have had as non negotiables in his deal:

All games shown live either on fta or subscription. No possibility of games on delay at the very least in a minimum of nsw and Qld.
Sole discretion of scheduling by Arlc, allowing for a fair and equal competition
Stand alone weeks for origin
Fan friendly times for scheduling, Monday night and now Sunday twilight will struggle for attendance.
Expansion.

As custodians of the game they have a responsibility to all rl fans. Not just the existing 16 clubs who want as much $ as possible. Most of this $ will get sucked up by increased salary cap and wages. I just wish the arlc would think a little longer term about the strategic direction of the game rather than taking as much cash as possible from the next tv deal. By 2017 we will be miles behind the afl.

Last edited:

andrew057

First Grade
ARLC should have had as non negotiables in his deal:

All games shown live either on fta or subscription. No possibility of games on delay at the very least in a minimum of nsw and Qld.
Stand alone weeks for origin
Fan friendly times for scheduling, Monday night and now unday twilight will struggle for attendance.
Expansion.

As custodians of the game they have a responsibility to all rl fans. Not just the existing 16 clubs who want as much $ as possible. Most of this $ will get sucked up by increased salary cap and wages. I just wish the arlc would think a little longer term about the strategic direction of the game rather than taking as much cash as possible from the next tv deal. By 2017 we will be miles behind the afl.

This post is so moronic its not funny. So much contradiction.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
10 offered Monday night FTA live... Does anybody actually think crowds would increase in a live timeslot at this time on FTA? I'd doubt even the most hard core fans would attend in that situation. That is far worse for crowds than Fox Live on MNF.

Benji Magic

Juniors
Well done independant commission...nothings changed, game still held to ransom by TV networks.
Almost puked on my keyboard.

Benji Magic

Juniors
Back to night time grand finals.
13 Sunday evening matches
2 Friday night games

Are they f**king kidding themsleves

andrew057

First Grade
Go on then genius, enlighten me

You talk about wishing the ARLC would think longer term, but by keeping the status quo and taking the shit load of money(and getting rid of first and last rights), thats exactly what theyve done. Theyve put themself in a position to finally run the game freely and maiximise its potential. If in a few years nothing has changed within the game except a higher salary cap and officials lining their pockets, then sure bad mouth the ARLC and put the deal down. But at least give them a chance.

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
You talk about wishing the ARLC would think longer term, but by keeping the status quo and taking the shit load of money(and getting rid of first and last rights), thats exactly what theyve done. Theyve put themself in a position to finally run the game freely and maiximise its potential. If in a few years nothing has changed within the game except a higher salary cap and officials lining their pockets, then sure bad mouth the ARLC and put the deal down. But at least give them a chance.
But you said I contradicted myself... How?

Anyway let's try and take emotion out and look at this logically.
Pros.
Money

Cons.
No live access to the match of the round in Qld
Continued delayed Sunday afternoon telecast
New Sun twilight time slot - could trouble to attract fans brought the gates
Expansion off the table at least until 2018
Limited access to the nrl unless subscribed to pay tv
Dictated scheduling by 9 resulting in an unfair draw

Does the pro outweigh the cons?

whall15

Coach
I was pissed off initially but I think that when you think about the positives, not only the great deal financially but the removal of First and Last Rights (and I really believe that this will reflected upon in a decade or so as a masterstroke when IPTV enters the mainstream), even the most ardent hater of Nine, ie. me can concede that the ARLC made a good decision.

joshreading

Staff member
Seriously it is threads like this that make RL fans look like morons.

Here are the simple facts: Media must make money. They do that by pushing their priorities.
The ARLC must both find significant revenue lines AND please fans as much as possible.

It might surprise the pea brained in this thread but you will NEVER get everything you want. EVERYONE must win something and everyone must lose out.

What did we get?

- MONEY!!! - the most money we have ever had and there is more to get. MOST of our clubs - are presently unviable as it stands. They NEED the most money possible.
- Scheduling - a FAR more stable schedule for the year (20 Rounds ahead is huge)
- Coverage - nationwide
- Promotion - a significant portion in contra to promote our game

What did we give up?

- Live games - frankly - this matters far less than the couch potato's that are convinced. The reality is more ads equals MORE money for our game. My club and your club need money more than they need Live TV games
- entire season scheduling - lets be honest how many people would watch the cellar dwellers at the end of the season when they can't make the finals? We get enough scheduling to help clubs and fans plan.
- Night GF - personally I rather that but I understand it is said most RL fans want a day time one, except that more people watch the NRL GF at night.
- we get Nine - yep we have all felt ripped off at times but AFL fans complain about 7 - RL about 9 - the fan base on this site would complain whoever got the rights within months

Seriously people on here need to take a breath and realise RL just signed the biggest TV contract it has ever had AND could well still draw in more money than the AFL once the other media related contracts are finalised.

This is a HUGE positive for the game

Last edited:

Canucks

Juniors
Anyway everyone calm down... We have a billion dollars and don't have the bills the AFL need to pay...

I don't have fox yet but I am going to get it next year... That's how I am going to deal with it...

The Brisbane game is annoying, and everyone complains about their advantage, but it's offset by Origin disruptions...

Sponsorship will hurt teams like the sharks, but the grant will offset that...

Obviously the ARLC have decided on their plan for survival and the budget required and they selected the deal they needed to meet that end...

The first year of the deal the ARLC will probably pay bonuses to clubs to help alleviate constraints

I would have been happy with either deal (ten one or the nine one)...

At the end of the day the swans have had Saturday's forever to themselves and their ratings are still 60k a game, more ppl move to Sydney a year, AFL in Sydney is a myth...

Everyone calm the Fk down, it's not perfect but it fking helps a lot...

If you can't afford Fox go to the local and drink free water like I f ing do, god damn princesses

mave

Coach

Anyway let's try and take emotion out and look at this logically.
Pros.
Money

Cons.
No live access to the match of the round in Qld
Continued delayed Sunday afternoon telecast
New Sun twilight time slot - could trouble to attract fans brought the gates
Expansion off the table at least until 2018
Limited access to the nrl unless subscribed to pay tv
Dictated scheduling by 9 resulting in an unfair draw

Does the pro outweigh the cons?

Mate, I think one PRO you could add is the guaranteed survival of any of the struggling clubs, including our own.
If the grant ends up being the same as the salary cap, then every club is laughing.
I would happily swap 5 more years of rubbish coverage from Nine to secure all the clubs future, and move foward further with the next rights deal.

joshreading

Staff member
I also am far from convinced expansion is off the cards. It is simply not factored into the deal. If the game decides that it can both afford and bring more benefit to the game through expansion it easily can.

Is there anything in the contracts that mean we can not sell an extra game to another bidder? (ie. 7 or 10)

Card Shark

Immortal
all those banging on about shakrs surviving don't know shit, we will be fine and some other clubs should be more worried than us.

Only if the development gets approved. If it doesn't (& we didnt get extra cash from TV), i reckon we are f**ked as it's the beginning of the end (even though we'd never admit that).

Last edited:

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Anyway everyone calm down... We have a billion dollars and don't have the bills the AFL need to pay...

I don't have fox yet but I am going to get it next year... That's how I am going to deal with it...

The Brisbane game is annoying, and everyone complains about their advantage, but it's offset by Origin disruptions...

Sponsorship will hurt teams like the sharks, but the grant will offset that...

Obviously the ARLC have decided on their plan for survival and the budget required and they selected the deal they needed to meet that end...

The first year of the deal the ARLC will probably pay bonuses to clubs to help alleviate constraints

I would have been happy with either deal (ten one or the nine one)...

At the end of the day the swans have had Saturday's forever to themselves and their ratings are still 60k a game, more ppl move to Sydney a year, AFL in Sydney is a myth...

Everyone calm the Fk down, it's not perfect but it fking helps a lot...

If you can't afford Fox go to the local and drink free water like I f ing do, god damn princesses
Or if you have a bit spare cash, go to the game.

andrew057

First Grade

You said you wish the ARLC would think longer term about the stratergic direction of the game, but then lament them for taking the money.

By taking the money and getting rid of first and last rights to all NRL content theyve allowed themselves not only the financial freedom, but also freedom in future rights negotiations so that they can lead the game in the right direction.