What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors.... robbed

Meth

Staff member
NRL highlights
The dude in front of the refs face is way offside.
Penalty to sharks .
That in my opinion is way more obvious than the pass to lee.

Sorry man. I'm really not trying to be obtuse, but I just don't see it that way. Maybe it's bias. Maybe you're more astute than me. But I can't see it.

carcharias

Immortal
Sorry man. I'm really not trying to be obtuse, but I just don't see it that way. Maybe it's bias. Maybe you're more astute than me. But I can't see it.

I dont think the pass was forward now I’ve have a good look at it.

Meth

Staff member
Ey!

5 pages of both sides agreeing it was a forward pass... until a couple of minutes ago.

It feels as if this has been said a lot, but the forward pass is the least of our gripes. It’s odd that everyone is fixated on that.

AJB1102

First Grade
Ey!

5 pages of both sides agreeing it was a forward pass... until a couple of minutes ago.

hahaha I'm wondering if we're gonna dissect every controversial win/loss or just those of Sharks/Warriors.

Agreement has made it a pretty bland thread.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes not LU like at all, come on wheres the 11year old "banter"

I guess the forward pass was the play that sealed the game so as a point of contention it was the ultimate last stuff up.

Meth

Staff member
Seeing as we're on this, I'm way more interested to see what people made of the refs interpretation of the advantage rule.

My recollection is based on my memory and I'd had a beer or two.

Incident 1- a knock on from the Warriors (Green) 10-12m out from their own line. Townsend pounces on the ball and darts for the line, but isn't able to score once he gets there. Referee rules that he hasn't scored, but had not taken his advantage. Sharks are awarded a scrum and Lee scores in the other corner.

Incident 2- Sharks player knocks on a metre or two out from his line and Gelling is tackled more or less and he picks it up. Being so close to the line, he can't resist and effectively is guilty of a double (or triple, or quadruple) movement. Referee rules that he hadn't taken his advantage and the Warriors get the ball back.

Seeing as we're on this, I'm way more interested to see what people made of the refs interpretation of the advantage rule.

My recollection is based on my memory and I'd had a beer or two.

Incident 1- a knock on from the Warriors (Green) 10-12m out from their own line. Townsend pounces on the ball and darts for the line, but isn't able to score once he gets there. Referee rules that he hasn't scored, but had not taken his advantage. Sharks are awarded a scrum and Lee scores in the other corner.

Incident 2- Sharks player knocks on a metre or two out from his line and Gelling is tackled more or less and he picks it up. Being so close to the line, he can't resist and effectively is guilty of a double (or triple, or quadruple) movement. Referee rules that he hadn't taken his advantage and the Warriors get the ball back.
One word, bemused!

Meth

Staff member
Incident 1 was just plain wrong.

Incident 2 was maybe a little more interesting- the Sharks player had knocked on. The Warriors player didn't gain the same amount of territory, but did commit an act that could have been penalised. Does that immediately mean he has taken his advantage?

Meth

Staff member
This is from 2011. Can you Sharks fans remember the incident in question?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2011/04/11/official-view-the-advantage-rule/

How long can the referee play advantage? When was the advantage taken in relation to round 5's Sharks v Sea Eagles game?

The advantage is over when the referee deems the non-offending team has taken their opportunity. This varies from referee to referee. Last year we tried to make the ruling black and white by saying that the advantage is taken when the ball is advanced 10 metres from the point of the infringement. By doing this we were trying to take away the grey area around the ruling.

We changed this after constructive criticism arose last season when teams were passing it from sideline to sideline, but were ruled to have not taken their advantage because of the 10 metre rule we had in place.

In the Cronulla v Manly game, it is unanimous across the referees that Manly did not take their advantage. They did throw one pass, but they didn’t have an opportunity to take advantage and that is why the play was called back for the original infringement.

Ultimately, it is now up to the referees discretion to decide when the advantage has been taken.

This is from 2011. Can you Sharks fans remember the incident in question?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2011/04/11/official-view-the-advantage-rule/

How long can the referee play advantage? When was the advantage taken in relation to round 5's Sharks v Sea Eagles game?

The advantage is over when the referee deems the non-offending team has taken their opportunity. This varies from referee to referee. Last year we tried to make the ruling black and white by saying that the advantage is taken when the ball is advanced 10 metres from the point of the infringement. By doing this we were trying to take away the grey area around the ruling.

We changed this after constructive criticism arose last season when teams were passing it from sideline to sideline, but were ruled to have not taken their advantage because of the 10 metre rule we had in place.

In the Cronulla v Manly game, it is unanimous across the referees that Manly did not take their advantage. They did throw one pass, but they didn’t have an opportunity to take advantage and that is why the play was called back for the original infringement.

Ultimately, it is now up to the referees discretion to decide when the advantage has been taken.

I like things that can be measured e.g. 10m forward or a time since infringement occurred e.g. 30seconds. So you can't just throw it left and right for a thousand passes.
Even some indication from the ref e.g. bent arm up to say advantage being played and drops it when it over.

Most are bias towards the team they support especially if it's 50/50 situation.

It's hard to even get people who are neutrals as they have normally bet or tipped in a certain direction so will most likely lean that way.

Harrigan last night believes the bunker should be able to call forward passes as the pass in question should not decided a Grandfinal.

They can judge if ball is knocked back or goes forward by a player.

Surely there is some tech that can take into account momentum etc and applied to the replay?

ReddFelon

Juniors
Incident 1 was just plain wrong.

Incident 2 was maybe a little more interesting- the Sharks player had knocked on. The Warriors player didn't gain the same amount of territory, but did commit an act that could have been penalised. Does that immediately mean he has taken his advantage?

Committing the penalty takes the advantage from you. Same concept as a double knock on, you're awarded advantage then you f**k up. Advantage not taken but you've lost the ability to use it.