What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 3 Finals v Melbourne

WestyLife

First Grade
What is easier to teach x factor or defence?

There wouldn't be a player that can't defend, In Peachey's case he has played Origin. You get to NRL level then you can defend

So it isn't like you have a giant hole if you go the attacking player, It is what fits the side best

That's not entirely true. It's like an arms race between attack and defence. He might be fine vs the dogs but you might not want to trust him in a knock out final vs a top 4 team as he has defensive issues

Exsilium

Coach
I was looking back on the last couple years, one thing that I noticed is how often we have lost a starting half to injury but still managed to keep the wins coming.

It’s a real testament to how well our systems work. Especially for those who fill the gaps. We’ve done so well with our back up halves in the last two years.

Exsilium

Coach
People slamming the Peach forget that he often creates space by committing defenders when he moves around. His defence is capable enough considering we’re still one of the best defensive teams.

He doesn’t have the X factor he used to but he knows his way around the field and it creates opportunities when defenders have to commit or shift.

Iamback

Coach
That's not entirely true. It's like an arms race between attack and defence. He might be fine vs the dogs but you might not want to trust him in a knock out final vs a top 4 team as he has defensive issues

You also need to break down that top 4 teams defence though. Do you risk letting in a try if you score 2 tries?

Take the Storm this week, They look to lack points. Assuming Hughes plays their last bench spot is between Garlick and Wishart.

Garlick will hold his own in defence but they go for Wishart to offer some spark.

Thankfully we don't need to take risks but some times coaches take the risk

Iamback

Coach
People slamming the Peach forget that he often creates space by committing defenders when he moves around. His defence is capable enough considering we’re still one of the best defensive teams.

He doesn’t have the X factor he used to but he knows his way around the field and it creates opportunities when defenders have to commit or shift.

Exactly. No one in our squad is a total dud. No one rushes out of the line, no poor reads all will do a job that side of the ball

Luke Bowden

First Grade
What is easier to teach x factor or defence?

There wouldn't be a player that can't defend, In Peachey's case he has played Origin. You get to NRL level then you can defend

So it isn't like you have a giant hole if you go the attacking player, It is what fits the side best
I’m not talking about the physical act of tackling. There is a lot more that goes into defence than that. It’s much harder to teach than “x-factor” (your term not mine).

Fangs

Coach
We will have the complete answer at 6.50pm on Friday night.

Worst scenario without Luai/Tago and you still feel pretty good with Crichton's ability to play both sides of the field in defence. A real blessing to have a player of Crichton's quality in our team.

Iamback

Coach
I’m not talking about the physical act of tackling. There is a lot more that goes into defence than that. It’s much harder to teach than “x-factor” (your term not mine).

Of course there is, but you can move a weaker defender to be 2 in rather than 3 in.

You can watch video to see what attack a side is going to run at you

You can put them with a better defender, someone who talks more etc.

The Jersey Flegg Grand Final is on this week, If you tune in you won't see a bad defender in either side. Where you will see difference is fast players who have poor ball handing, props with no Stamina and that what the FG coaches will look at. What player suits our system.

X player is tall, fast but makes errors, can we mould that.

None will say. Wow x player is a great defender. Give him 2 years in our system and he will playing like Kikau or Burton

You can't make a short player be a taller or faster version

We are lost Kikau, When does Hosking or Garner get his skills trained into them?

2024 or 2025?

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Of course there is, but you can move a weaker defender to be 2 in rather than 3 in.

You can watch video to see what attack a side is going to run at you

You can put them with a better defender, someone who talks more etc.

You can't make a short player be a taller or faster version

We are lost Kikau, When does Hosking or Garner get his skills trained into them?

2024 or 2025?
I need someone to please translate this. I honestly have no clue what you’re trying to say.

You can’t move a centre… by definition he’d no longer be playing centre… that’s pretty silly.

You also need to break down that top 4 teams defence though. Do you risk letting in a try if you score 2 tries?

Take the Storm this week, They look to lack points. Assuming Hughes plays their last bench spot is between Garlick and Wishart.

Garlick will hold his own in defence but they go for Wishart to offer some spark.

Thankfully we don't need to take risks but some times coaches take the risk
Back to the x-factor talk!! For the first half of the season all we heard about was the need to evolve and get x-factor, or else we won’t be able to compete with the top four sides.

Well, we haven’t had to develop an x-factor type of game and we are doing pretty well agains the other top 4 teams left; collectively 5-1 (the one loss being the second day of the season by a single point) and most of the games we have won haven’t been close.

The reality is we don’t need to play the way you think we do to win games. We have a SuperCoach in charge and he has the runs on the board. I imagine he will continue to deliver the game plan that we have developed this year given the loss of Api and Kiks; long pass out of dummy half and then turn it back inside to move and hammer the middles before making room to attack the edges with precision passing and hole running rather than strength. That approach will be particularly successful against the Broncs (if we are both lucky/good enough to make the GF).

But if SuperCoach Cleary does not decide to run with that game plan so be it, because that decision will be based on his infinitely greater knowledge of how to coach premiership winning first grade rugby league teams than me or any other person on this site.

Iamback

Coach
Back to the x-factor talk!! For the first half of the season all we heard about was the need to evolve and get x-factor, or else we won’t be able to compete with the top four sides.

Well, we haven’t had to develop an x-factor type of game and we are doing pretty well agains the other top 4 teams left; collectively 5-1 (the one loss being the second day of the season by a single point) and most of the games we have won haven’t been close.

The reality is we don’t need to play the way you think we do to win games. We have a SuperCoach in charge and he has the runs on the board. I imagine he will continue to deliver the game plan that we have developed this year given the loss of Api and Kiks; long pass out of dummy half and then turn it back inside to move and hammer the middles before making room to attack the edges with precision passing and hole running rather than strength. That approach will be particularly successful against the Broncs (if we are both lucky/good enough to make the GF).

But if SuperCoach Cleary does not decide to run with that game plan so be it, because that decision will be based on his infinitely greater knowledge of how to coach premiership winning first grade rugby league teams than me or any other person on this site.

We had 50 tackles inside the Warriors 20 last finals game on the back of dominating possession.

Compare that to the Broncos who score a high number of long range tries. What style works better if possession is even?

That is the reason Hosking and now Garner has played over younger guys. To suit the style, It doesn't mean going to other way is wrong which is my point

Girds89

Bench

You cant teach players x factor.

Few have real nrl star quality x factor.

Ponga, walsh, latrell etc. Blokes that can literally do something from absolutely nothing when they have no right to.

Thats not stuff any nrl coach has taught them... for the most part they have all been doing the things they do since they were kids...

The biggest and most important part of defence is attitude.

With the right attitude you can get blokes performing in a good system.

You cant miraculously turn them into a star...

You said scouts look for defence 1st...

I call bs on that... yes its an admirable thing to have but the defensive standard in ball, matts flegg etc is not great... players learn the importance of defense as they move through the grades.

Greg waddell wasnt a star defender
Cartwright was a deadset horrible defender
Jennings a horrible defender as a junior

Joseph suuaalii wasnt in hot demand cause he was a gun defender..

Same was walsh

These guys and sooooo many more got scouted cause they were freaks with the ball in hand.

Coaches back themselves to train players into good defenders because the star factor they possess doesnt come along everyday...

If i was a scout i certainly wouldnt be knocking back the next walsh or tago or ponga because they have shit defense as an 14 or 14 year old.

Because you only have to look at MJ as the perfect example...

Deadset horrible defender as a kid and relied purely on his attacking brilliance yet turned into one of the best defensive centres in the game..

He had the x factor... defence was taught..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You cant teach players x factor.

Few have real nrl star quality x factor.

Ponga, walsh, latrell etc. Blokes that can literally do something from absolutely nothing when they have no right to.

Thats not stuff any nrl coach has taught them... for the most part they have all been doing the things they do since they were kids...

The biggest and most important part of defence is attitude.

With the right attitude you can get blokes performing in a good system.

You cant miraculously turn them into a star...

You said scouts look for defence 1st...

I call bs on that... yes its an admirable thing to have but the defensive standard in ball, matts flegg etc is not great... players learn the importance of defense as they move through the grades.

Greg waddell wasnt a star defender
Cartwright was a deadset horrible defender
Jennings a horrible defender as a junior

Joseph suuaalii wasnt in hot demand cause he was a gun defender..

Same was walsh

These guys and sooooo many more got scouted cause they were freaks with the ball in hand.

Coaches back themselves to train players into good defenders because the star factor they possess doesnt come along everyday...

If i was a scout i certainly wouldnt be knocking back the next walsh or tago or ponga because they have shit defense as an 14 or 14 year old.

Because you only have to look at MJ as the perfect example...

Deadset horrible defender as a kid and relied purely on his attacking brilliance yet turned into one of the best defensive centres in the game..

He had the x factor... defence was taught..
Once again you dribble on just prove that you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

cool story though. Quite fanciful.

Iamback

Coach
I need someone to please translate this. I honestly have no clue what you’re trying to say.

You can’t move a centre… by definition he’d no longer be playing centre… that’s pretty silly.

I will dumb it down for you.

We signed Alamonti who is at this stage not an NRL defender.

If you can't teach defence and we base our side on defence why did Ivan buy him?

Latest posts