What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

_Johnsy

Referee
You don't want them in and that's fine. But just a tip: Have you ever heard the saying "know your enemy"? Maybe you should take heed and actually read up on the bid before you attempt to trash it.

I think you may need to learn how to read and actually read my posts before commenting. I have said time and time gain, I have no preference who is admitted, I want as many bids as possible, and I welcome and encourage all bids. My comments have been made on what information is available ATM from each of the bids. What else can i form a judgement on ?

I have read up on the Ipswich "bid". A few newspaper articles with quotes from people associated with the bid.

Enemy .....pfft WTF are you on about? The bids are merit based. Typical QLD siege mentality, utterly pathetic. Try looking at the bids on merit.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
I disagree, People outside of Canterbury-Bankstown support the Bulldogs, people outside of Parramatta support the Eels. While i agree Ipswich will, and realistically, currently are suffering from an identity crisis which will affect supporters outside of Ipswich in South East Queensland they may still get some little support from people in other areas. The question is can they sustain a team on only that added extra support?

I agree.

Why not? The Roosters do. The Bulldogs do etc.

bobmar28

Bench
:lol::lol:

You might laugh but that may not be far from the truth. I can't imagine the people at the Jets sitting around with their feet up on chairs and a beer in their hands saying everything will work out in the end.
They would be working hard on the bid I'm sure.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
The A league wanted Gold Coast and North QLD as well and look what they have got. They wanted Western Sydney as well and put a team in that had no infrastructure in place, no plan nothing. Didn't even make the starting gates.

The NRL will become a joke if they give the licenses to anyone else other then Cetral Coast and Perth. I love it people want to not have the Bears in because of where they are on a map, yet they overlook what they are bringing into the sport.

The NRL will become a joke if they opt for an 11th NSW team when they should be expanding outside NSW.

love how people are willing to compare a second team in the seq region over 2 million people to soccer teams in nth queensland and the gold coast. Remember soccer didnt even have a comp o few years ago.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I think you may need to learn how to read and actually read my posts before commenting. I have said time and time gain, I have no preference who is admitted, I want as many bids as possible, and I welcome and encourage all bids.

I am not sh*tcanning the bid I dont want in.

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

My comments have been made on what information is available ATM from each of the bids. What else can i form a judgement on ?

I have read up on the Ipswich "bid". A few newspaper articles with quotes from people associated with the bid.

If you'd actually read up on the bid you'd know about Canavan's statements re: getting the community involved in the bid via the name/colours. Since you weren't aware of even that I think it's safe to assume you haven't bothered to read the majority of the articles posted in this thread.

Enemy .....pfft WTF are you on about? The bids are merit based. Typical QLD siege mentality, utterly pathetic. Try looking at the bids on merit.

It's a saying and I was attempting to help you. If you'll notice I'm not the one who continues to pigeon-hole bids according to the state they're from... Maybe you could do me a favour and google Perth and Gosford and see which states they are in.

_Johnsy

Referee
I am not sh*tcanning the bid I dont want in. I want many bids to get in, as I stated earlier in this thread I have no preference on who gets in.

Nice try merkin

Ill type it again in a bigger font to make it easy for you.

My comments have been made & opinion formed on the information made available.

Ipswich have released SFA official information on their bid, especially when you compare them to other bids. As a member of the public who is interested in the expansion of our game, all you can do is compare the available information of all bids against other. Doing that, it appears Ipswich are a long way behind. That being so, how can you take them seriously, when the start date for the two new teams is less than 26 months away ?

Simple concept, did I lose you again ?

Last edited:
The NRL will become a joke if they opt for an 11th NSW team when they should be expanding outside NSW.

Just go to an area that is not really viable at this stage. Bring in other clubs that bring nothing and belive me Ipswich will bring nothing. As someone whom worked within the A Leagues start up the Central Coast is a very viable area. Much more so then anywhere else at poresent and that includes Perth.

The simple facts are the eastern seaboard is where most the countries population is and that is where the most dollars are. Ipswich is not ready for the NRL and are not anywhere near ready at this juncture. just to bring another side in because they are out NSW is absolute stupidity commercially.

Sydney sides will eventually fall over when expanding you need to do so looking at a picture of short term stability linked into long term success.

Central Coast sures up the east coast for NRL from Melbourne to Cairns and that is where over 70% of the population of this country is. Throw in a WA team now and build upon bids from both Ipswich and Central QLD and bring them in when they are ready not just because we think we need teams outside of NSW to expand.

dgsfan

Juniors
How does it sure up an area that is already NRL mad? The eastern seaboard is well and truly NRL territory and CC doesn't change that one bit.

BDGS

Bench
I'd really like to know whether the CC people are truly happy with the Bears franchise. I mean it's not a successful one or one too proud (when was their last premiership). Bears fan bias aside I'd gather given the choice they would like their own identity.

yeah the Bears brand is so bad that the only way the Central Coast bid has gotten to the strength (most advanced NRL bid of all time) is on the back of the added support from the Bears branding. The Bears may not have won a first grade premiership for a long time but they were one of the most popular clubs ever. That is why they are still fighting now and Newtown, South QLD and Glebe aren't looking at ways of re-entering after their demise from the competition. What a idiotically thing to say.

Why not? The Roosters do. The Bulldogs do etc.

The Bulldogs sustain an NRL club through their support all around Australia and overseas. Ipswich would find it difficult to match other clubs with supporters based because of their identity crisis that every support of the Ipswich bid seems to keep sweeping under the carpet.

_Johnsy

Referee
How does it sure up an area that is already NRL mad? The eastern seaboard is well and truly NRL territory and CC doesn't change that one bit.

Using your rationale, neither will Ipswich or CQ.

I have also noticed you use the TV audience as an argument for bringing in ipswich, how will ipswich bring in more viewers than CC ? (Apologies if it was not you).

On a side topic. Ipswich will not be able to use the jets as a logo/mascot. Remember Redcliffe's little tanty & subsequent threat of legal action when the Gold Coast wanted to use Dolphin as their mascot/logo.

Last edited:

What do Ipswich bring other then an area that is not NSW ?

Where is there business plan ?

Where is there stadium ?

Who is backing them ?

What finances are there ?

How many members do they currently have onboard ?

Who is there major sponsor ?

Who is on there board ?

All you know is Steve Jonson is chairman and he has a group and Brian Canavan is a consultant.

I think Ipswiuch could be a good area for expansion but to expand there now is madness considering they pretty much tick no boxes (other then being in QLD) and the bid is due in 87 days.

I would prefer them not to expand (other then Perth) if they are dead against the Bears coming in and wait until Ipswich prove themselves.

But to knock back the Bears whom are potentially going to be a lot stronger then a lot of the clubs already in the competition is silly.

Why not bring the Bears in as they will raise the bar and some other Sydney clubs may start looking over there shoulders. If Cronulla's development down there at Shark park doesn't get of the ground how long will they survive.

Some clubs whose leagues clubs are losing money and not getting the grants they should how long can they go on. There is a few clubs in Sydney worse off then the Bears franchise yet we'd keep them alive to keep wallowing.

Even the Roosters my side whilst they have a strong leagues club and backing they are fine but the time may come in 20 years down the track when they have to look elsewhere too.

The Bears are potentially a great long term investment.

Ipswich may be eventually as well but right now with the bid due in less then 87 days unless they get the FIFA Executive to vote I can;t see the ipswich bid getting through. Only Perth because everyone else in the NRL knows the strength of the Bears bid and does not want to know about it because they don't want the competition.

_Johnsy

Referee
What do Ipswich bring other then an area that is not NSW ?

Where is there business plan ?

Where is there stadium ?

Who is backing them ?

What finances are there ?

How many members do they currently have onboard ?

Who is there major sponsor ?

Who is on there board ?

All you know is Steve Jonson is chairman and he has a group and Brian Canavan is a consultant.

According to a few very well informed posters in this thread, apparently it is all being kept a big secret.

dgsfan

Juniors
Of course another QLD team would bring in more TV revenue than the CC Bears. How can you not see that? Channel 9 have 9 Sydney teams to chose from but only 2 SEQLD teams. In the event that one of them is traveling badly (like last year), they have more options to get high ratings. Sydney is spoiled for choice on Friday nights. Then there's the issue of finals. Brisbane didn't make the finals this year. Imagine if they did. Ratings would have been significantly higher. Add another Brisbane tam and it increases the likely hood of a QLD team being in the finals. I surprised it's taken another explanation to get it through people's thick heads.

dgsfan

Juniors
Tell me, what will a CC team add to the TV revenue? Where's this infamous source that shows previous Bears TV ratings?

_Johnsy

Referee
Go to Ipswich and all you'll see is broncos gear, maybe with some small smatterings of Titans, Cowboys, Dogs, Dragons, Tigers & Bunnies. I think it is fair to assume that all Ipswich residents who love their league (a large majority) would already be watching FTA games.

You referred to Channel 9 (FTA games) It is a given that either Titans or Broncos games will get one of the friday night slots. How this equates to additional FTA TV viewers I am not sure.

dgsfan

Juniors
Go to Ipswich and all you'll see is broncos gear, maybe with some small smatterings of Titans, Cowboys, Dogs, Dragons, Tigers & Bunnies. I think it is fair to assume that all Ipswich residents who love their league (a large majority) would already be watching FTA games.

You referred to Channel 9 (FTA games) It is a given that either Titans or Broncos games will get one of the friday night slots. How this equates to additional FTA TV viewers I am not sure.

The EXACT same thing can be said about the CC. You're not making a very strong point.

FYI there were a few friday night games where there was no QLD team. Also, you're forgetting about the delayed game which almost never features a QLD team yet almost always features a Sydney team.

_Johnsy

Referee
The EXACT same thing can be said about the CC. You're not making a very strong point.

FYI there were a few friday night games where there was no QLD team. Also, you're forgetting about the delayed game which almost never features a QLD team yet almost always features a Sydney team.

I have not once said CC will bring more FTA tv numbers. You have made this claim re: Ipswich. Any facts to back it up ?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Nice try merkin

Ill type it again in a bigger font to make it easy for you.

My comments have been made & opinion formed on the information made available.

Yet again you are assuming that the information available to the pubic is the same information available to the NRL. You don't even seem to bother to read the publicly released information if your lack of knowledge on some of the major points of the bid is anything to go by.

Ipswich have released SFA official information on their bid, especially when you compare them to other bids. As a member of the public who is interested in the expansion of our game, all you can do is compare the available information of all bids against other. Doing that, it appears Ipswich are a long way behind.

I think for where they're at they've released quite a bit of info. It'll be a membership based club run by the Ipswich Jets, they have said they want Cam Smith/Thaiday, they'll be playing out of Lang Park until they finance their own stadium in Ipswich, they'll be focussing on Ipswich/Logan/out to T'ba, the fans will be choosing the name/colours, etc. That's just off the top of my head and before the feasibility study has been finished.

The chairman has said that the bid will be low key and they won't be releasing the business plan till late Jan. You really do seem to value style over actual substance so maybe you'd prefer it if they went CQ NRL's way and held a press conference after every meeting with Gallop, etc?

That being so, how can you take them seriously, when the start date for the two new teams is less than 26 months away ? Simple concept, did I lose you again ?

Gallop has been quoted in RLW as saying "history shows you only need a lead-up time of around 18 months" to build an expansion team.
Why exactly do you think that 26 months is not enough time?
Is there any reason in particular why you think you'd have a better idea of what's needed than the CEO of the NRL?

You really need to take a step back, stop making embarrassing posts and look at what you're saying Johnsy. That or you can sit in the corner and google yourself to your heart's content. It's up to you.

Last edited:

Latest posts