What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

bobmar28

Bench
Clubs have always drawn support from outside their area, whether it's due to success or family or a popular player or their colours or logo. However I don't think changing Eastern Suburbs to Sydney City or Sydney has resulted in more fans.

Just like the Ipswich Jets will.

smithie

Juniors
Just like the Ipswich Jets will.

If the team is called Ipswich, I just don't see anyone supporting them outside Ipswich.
I also don't like the idea of promoting a QRL team to the NRL. It should be a completely new franchise. It's like saying "Why were the Titans created, just promote the Burleigh Bears?"

_Johnsy

Referee
How serious is the Ipswich bid, spend a few minutes on google and you find a couple of news articles on the announcement of the bid. There has been SFA involvement of the local commnity/information available to residents of SE QLD about their bid (direction etc).

How can anyone take Ipswich's admittance in 2013 seriously ???

How serious is the Ipswich bid, spend a few minutes on google and you find a couple of news articles on the announcement of the bid. There has been SFA involvement of the local commnity/information available to residents of SE QLD about their bid (direction etc).

How can anyone take Ipswich's admittance in 2013 seriously ???

Who needs info when you got posters here who never lived in ippy or south bris, yet know everything about the bid? Even when they don't know, they can make it up. It's all good.

Talons

Juniors
Who needs info when you got posters here who never lived in ippy or south bris, yet know everything about the bid? Even when they don't know, they can make it up. It's all good.

Sorry...I obviously didn't understand the ground rules of this thread ...Having previously lived in Toowoomba for years and having travelled both too and through Ipswich numerous times doesn't quite allow me to have an opinion.

BDGS

Bench
If the team is called Ipswich, I just don't see anyone supporting them outside Ipswich.

I disagree, People outside of Canterbury-Bankstown support the Bulldogs, people outside of Parramatta support the Eels. While i agree Ipswich will, and realistically, currently are suffering from an identity crisis which will affect supporters outside of Ipswich in South East Queensland they may still get some little support from people in other areas. The question is can they sustain a team on only that added extra support?

I also don't like the idea of promoting a QRL team to the NRL. It should be a completely new franchise. It's like saying "Why were the Titans created, just promote the Burleigh Bears?"

I agree.

Sorry...I obviously didn't understand the ground rules of this thread ...Having previously lived in Toowoomba for years and having travelled both too and through Ipswich numerous times doesn't quite allow me to have an opinion.

Oh ok since you have lived in Toowoomba then obviously you'll know the in workings of the Ipswich Jet's bid?

You'll know that the bodies in the Ipswich RL haven't even spoke to their Logan or Toowoomba counterparts yet about the possibility of the area's being part of the Jets bid?... The community problem..

You'll also know that there hasn't been any community information passed on besides QT articles (which is Ipswich based anyways?).. the marketing problem..

You'll also know that if they do play @ Suncorp then traveling to and from Toowoomba is no walk in the park? There isn't even public transport to and from.. the infrastructure problem

You'll also that the Jet's bid currently has no sponsors jumping out of their skin to sign on? No corporate partners? No private partners? No public partners (members)? No junior clubs signing on from Ippy or Toowoomba?.. the financial problem..

Then I have to ask, if you keep speculating then what weight does your opinion have? I never said you can't have one. But personally I don't give a rats ass about opinions that are baseless.

dgsfan said:
Red&BlackBear is full of sh*t, don't worry.
Actually regarding these expansion bids (except the WARed) im the least full of sh*t out of everyone on here. Ive got good sources of information from the CQ bid, I get firsthand information regarding the CCBEARS bid obviously and I have family & friends very close to JETS Leagues and their bid.

I make the effort to call up every bid (except WAReds) and find out the info for myself.

Of course I never get a chance to post about it because I'm usually using the real factual info as responses to nonsense you and other post (which ironically you disregard anyway).

Therefore what facts do your opinions weigh when I know from the efforts Ive put in, mine (regarding the bids themselves not expansion per se) have as much facts as one can possibly know without actually working for the bids? (and i've been working with the CCBEARS...)

answer?

Last edited:
Tell us some interesting facts about the Jets bid from your "close to" sources... haha

Ok then.

* They hired Brian Canavan 3 weeks before the holiday period. He, out of those 3 weeks has worked an entire 2 days on the bid itself. Suggesting some insiders to think it's been a waste of time and money.

* They haven't got got their business model together yet and might not have it finalized until well into April/May. (that's just the business model not the actual bid!)

* They haven't engaged the Logan or Toowoomba's RL bodies yet, suggesting they are concentrating on Ipswich alone (only Ippy mayor P Pisasale has suggested a Western Jet's *he isn't on the bid team*)

* Non sufficient funds to upgrade the Jet's Leagues or the training facilities to make them NRL standard.

* JETS bid approached RT Edwards about becoming one of the first sponsors but were turned down.

* There has been no "confidence vote" yet between the existing JETS Leagues (ORL) members about vying for an NRL position. Suggesting management are going at it alone.

* No communication between the junior clubs and the bid team yet.

* No approach from or towards the local business corporations about the possibility of sponsoring or funding the inititial bid stages.

There's heaps more little things which aren't so little considering how close we are now.

they are hoping on the fact that the nrl wants a side in that region and that will be enough.

If the nrl wants it, they will approve it and give them what ever assistance thay need

_Johnsy

Referee
Here are the google results from - "Ipswich jets nrl bid". It's actually quite embarrassing, how can anyone take them seriously. TBH it looks like all they have done is let go of a few media releases and hoped forums will pick up on it. hell even Number 5 and 10 relate to ipswich jets, but not one mention of the NRL bid on those pages.

Number 1 - Ipswich Jets NRL Bid for 2013 - League - Sportal Forums
14 Aug 2010 ... Ipswich Jets: Presumabley playing in Dark Green. Would offer a game at Suncorp every week which would be great for Rugby League. ...
forum.sportal.com.au › Sportal Forum Discussions › League - Cached

Number 2 - Ipswich launches audacious NRL bid - The Australian
13 Aug 2010 ... Consortium member Stephen Johnson, chairman of state league side the Ipswich Jets, confirmed his group was serious about preparing a bid ...
www.theaustralian.com.au/.../ipswich...bid.../story-e6frg7mf- 1225904647922

Number 3 - Jets NRL bid gains momentum | Ipswich News | Local News in Ipswich ...
29 Dec 2010 ... IPSWICH Jets' NRL bid mastermind Steve Johnson has held meetings with David Gallop and Mayor Paul Pisasale to elicit support for a western ...
www.qt.com.au/story/2010/12/29/ipswich-jets-nrl-bid-momentum/ - Cached

Number 4 - Springfield to house NRL bid | Ipswich News | Local News in Ipswich
Consultant to the Ipswich Jets NRL bid, Brian Canavan, said he was ...
www.qt.com.au/story/.../springfield-nrl-side-stadium-proposal-home/ - Cached
Show more results from qt.com.au

Number 5 - Ipswich Jets Rugby League Club - Home
4 Feb 2010 ... The Ipswich Jets Rugby League Football Club was founded to provide a ... As the RAAF's F111 Aircraft bid farewell to the skies of Ipswich we ...
www.ipswichjets.com.au/ - Cached - Similar

Number 6 - Ipswich Jets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to NRL Bid‎: The Jets have announced they will be bidding for a licence in an expanded National Rugby League from 2013. The NRL may call for ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswich_Jets - Cached - Similar

Number 7 - Ipswich Jets NRL bid - The Front Row Forum :: Rugby League
15 posts - 14 authors - Last post: 14 Aug 2010
Jets plan NRL bid. Chris Garry | 14th August 2010. THE battle has officially begun. The Ipswich Jets football club has formed a bid team ...
forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=366921 - Cached

Number 8 - Jets' NRL dream taking off - Ipswich News - Sport - Quest News
8 Sep 2010 ... LEAGUE PROPOSAL: BRENT O'NEILL QUIZZES IPSWICH JETS CHAIRMAN STEVEN JOHNSON ABOUT THE CLUB'S BID TO JOIN THE NRL, WHICH HAS PROPOSED THAT ...
quest-news.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/jets-nrl-dream-taking-off/ - Cached

Number 9 - Ipswich's bold NRL bid » The Roar - Your Sports Opinion
8 Dec 2010 ... The Western Jets ( Ipswich Jets) have no affiliation with bloody ..... I also think now the NRL will try and guage what the other bid teams ...
www.theroar.com.au/2010/12/08/ipswich-step-up-nrl-bid/ - Cached

Number 10 - Ipswich Jets Rugby League Football Club Inc., North Ipswich QLD ...
Ipswich Jets Rugby League Football Club Inc., North Ipswich QLD 4305. Full contact details for Ipswich Jets Rugby League Football Club Inc. including phone ...
www.truelocal.com.au/.../ipswich-jets-rugby-league.../north-ipswich - Similar

Even Central QLD look 1000 times more professional than the Ipswich bid does. Do the folk west of brisbane understand it looks and sounds shonky. They cannot rely on the supposed "need" for another Greater Brisbane NRL side. Based on what information is available, honestly they'd be lucky to be ready by 2025.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
you can google all you want, they have 2 years before they need to be ready. All they need is a solid plan and they will be

No formal bid team, no sponsrship, no stadium no proposals, nothing. If you seriously think they'll be ready to go in 2013 you're dellusional.

TBH at this stage all yuo can do is laugh.

Any team admitted in 2013 will not be from from Ipswich.

they are hoping on the fact that the nrl wants a side in that region and that will be enough.

If the nrl wants it, they will approve it and give them what ever assistance thay need

The A league wanted Gold Coast and North QLD as well and look what they have got. They wanted Western Sydney as well and put a team in that had no infrastructure in place, no plan nothing. Didn't even make the starting gates.

The NRL will become a joke if they give the licenses to anyone else other then Cetral Coast and Perth. I love it people want to not have the Bears in because of where they are on a map, yet they overlook what they are bringing into the sport.