What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

_Johnsy

Referee
Well if you think about this way,

With 4 QLD teams out of 18 = 22% approx of the comp is QLD based

Now if we go to 4 F2A games a week (2 Friday, 2 Sunday) - 8 teams are featured weekly (or 44% of the competition)

If 2 out of the 8 on F2A TV teams are QLD teams (1 Friday, 1 Sunday) = 2/8 = 25%, only 3% greater than the % that QLD makes up in the competition, which is pretty fair given QLD standing in the game.

With 4 QLD teams, we can guarantee a QLD team every Friday & Sunday, which is why back-to-back double header games are the way the NRL should go.

4 live games, you want 2 of them to feature qld teams. That is not proportionate. Its a mute point until the amount of FTA games re: new tv deal is known.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
4 live games, you want 2 of them to feature qld teams. That is not proportionate. Its a mute point until the amount of FTA games re: new tv deal is known.

Pretty much the only point I agree with you on.

All teams should have equal access to FTA games - the current setup gifts huge financial advantages to the favoured teams.

Something we should ensure when the new deal is done.

_Johnsy

Referee

All teams should have equal access to FTA games - the current setup gifts huge financial advantages to the favoured teams.

I have been an advocate for the following FTA model for a while now.

Eg 2010

16 teams, 26 rounds with 2 byes = 24 games.

4 timeslots (Fri night - Sat night - Sun arvo - Mon night)

6 Friday FTA night games, 6 Super Sat night games, 6 FTA sunday arvo games, 6 monday night games.
This ensures each club a fair share of FTA coverage to attract sponsors etc, the current model disadvantges some clubs way way too much.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
This should be good.

This is my opinion.
Funny how people with irrational beliefs usually say the same thing when questioned on them.

Deciding to annnounce a multi million NRL bid submission before completing either a feasibility study or a business plan.
Are you seriously too lazy to even read the the very post you're quoting? The Reds and Bears did this too.

Hardly a professional approach.
In what way? I'm genuinely interested and I'm sure Johnson and Canavan would love to know aswell.

I have not stated I am more qualified. I questioned the quote you provided,
You said "how can you take them seriously, when the start date for the two new teams is less than 26 months away ?"
I'll ask again, if Gallop thinks that 18 months is sufficient lead-in time for an expansion team why do you think an extra eight months still won't be enough time?

18 months to build a team does not mean 18 months to complete a NRL admission bid and be ready to play in the NRL. Again my opinion.
What are you trying to say here?

See answer 1.
Do you consider the Reds and Bears to be unprofessional since they also announced their intentions to join the NRL before completing a business plan?

That was a figure plucked from the air, no basis at all.
I get the feeling that if we get down to it, this is how most of your opinions re: expansion are formed.

You used the word looks, that is based on the easily accessable information the CQ bid provides. Go and have a look at their site and the information they provide. Very thorough and yes it looks 100 more times professional that the available information the Ipswich bid has provided to the general public.
here is an example
http://www.cqnrlbid.com.au/2010/12/cq-nrl-bid-launches-informational-booklet/
The CQ NRL Bid today launched a high quality information booklet that will be the primary collateral material for the Bid into 2011. The booklet identifies the region with respect to the Bid and highlights the diversity and uniqueness of Central Queensland as well the region’s avidity for Rugby League. The CQ NRL Bid Chairman, Geoff Murphy has written the foreword in which he reinforces his own and his Boards’ commitment to the Bid and its objectives.
“We are extremely proud of this publication. It explains our vision and the benefits to our community that will eventuate when we have a NRL Club here in CQ” Chairman Geoff Murphy said at today’s launch. “This is one more significant development for the Bid” the Chairman concluded.

The booklet explains and extols the three principal planks of the CQ NRL Bid.
  • THE TEAM
  • THE STADIUM
  • THE ACADEMY
The booklet outlines the major developments of the CQ NRL Bid to date, including a copy of the STADIUM commitment letter from Premier Anna Bligh MP. It discusses the economic, social and cultural benefits that will flow to Central Queensland as a result of the establishment of a NRL Club in CQ. It states the commitment of QR National to Principal Sponsorship of the CQ NRL Club and acknowledges the corporate and business sectors of CQ that have aligned themselves to the Bid.
Gratz on the copy+paste but what exactly are you trying to say? That a PR leaflet which talks about the possibility of a 20K stadium is somehow preferred over the Jets holding talks with Stadiums QLD over using the already built Lang Park?

If you boiled down the articles posted in this thread and put them in a glossy 3 fold booklet and asked Johnson to write a forward would that suddenly change your opinion?

John Fifita

Coach
I haven't read the other 1,000 or so posts so nit sure if this gas been covered. Why have an Ipswich team play out of Lang park? It's 50km from Ipswich. If you want a second team in Brisbane, make it a Brisbane team. Would penrith consider playing out of the SFS?

Talons

Juniors

This brings the whole discussion back to what adds value to the game. Proportionately you might feel extra games for QLD viewers may be unfair but it's driven by what brings money back into the game.
Whether we like it or not this will probably be the motivating factor behind selection criteria.

_Johnsy

Referee
Funny how people with irrational beliefs usually say the same thing when questioned on them.

No, I have typed this 1000 times. My opinion is based on what information is available to the public at this point in time. I do not know how I can explain this/dumb it down any more.

Are you seriously too lazy to even read the the very post you're quoting? The Reds and Bears did this too.
Are you sure about that?

You said "how can you take them seriously, when the start date for the two new teams is less than 26 months away ?"
I'll ask again, if Gallop thinks that 18 months is sufficient lead-in time for an expansion team why do you think an extra eight months still won't be enough time?

He said Build a team, not develop a bid. 2 different things. At this point Ipswich have sweet FA assured (apart from being in talks). Plenty of future consultation & talking not much else. If there is more what is the damage in letting the people they hope to represent know?

Do you consider the Reds and Bears to be unprofessional since they also announced their intentions to join the NRL before completing a business plan?

Are you sure about that ?

Gratz on the copy+paste but what exactly are you trying to say? That a PR leaflet which talks about the possibility of a 20K stadium is somehow preferred over the Jets holding talks with Stadiums QLD over using the already built Lang Park?
I was showing you a sample of the INFORMATION made available by the CQ bid. Has it sunk in yet the information available from the bidding team, very easy to find in one central location.

If you boiled down the articles posted in this thread and put them in a glossy 3 fold booklet and asked Johnson to write a forward would that suddenly change your opinion?

One more time, it is about information made available by the bid teams. Not a quote from one of the prospective team in a few different articles. But actual information found in one easy location. Is this too difficult to understand?

dgsfan

Juniors
This should be good.

In what way? I'm genuinely interested and I'm sure Johnson and Canavan would love to know aswell.

What are you trying to say here?

I get the feeling that if we get down to it, this is how most of your opinions re: expansion are formed.

Gold, buddy. Glad someone's called him out.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
This brings the whole discussion back to what adds value to the game. Proportionately you might feel extra games for QLD viewers may be unfair but it's driven by what brings money back into the game.
Whether we like it or not this will probably be the motivating factor behind selection criteria.

Very very true. That's something that some people just seem to not be acknowledging.

I would love to see the Bears come back in on the Coast. It would finish NSW as far as teams go, it would put pressure on the weaker clubs in Sydney to lift their game and if necessary force some clubs out.

Whether or not that should occur above extra TV revenue is something that I am glad is not up to me.

andrew057

First Grade
I haven't read the other 1,000 or so posts so nit sure if this gas been covered. Why have an Ipswich team play out of Lang park? It's 50km from Ipswich. If you want a second team in Brisbane, make it a Brisbane team. Would penrith consider playing out of the SFS?

Can anyone answer this?

BDGS

Bench
LOL, just reading through the last few pages and it made me laugh.

Firstly, anyone that does not favour the QLD bids get shot down if they state something that is true but without source and then later people uses sources to create an point of view and then next thing people are insulting people for using the world's best search engine.

Sounds to me that you can not be correct unless you support the half baked Ipswich bid.

All the rest of us that are using our right to have a different opinion should just shut up and join the minority of posters on here if to only shut them up.

Tell me, what will a CC team add to the TV revenue? Where's this infamous source that shows previous Bears TV ratings?

TV Revenue is not the be all and end all.

Having a team that will survive long term with a viable business plan and a long term infrastructure in place as well as having major sponsors already on board and with North Sydney as part of there catchment area they do have the second largest financial city in Australia outside of Sydney itself. yes North Sydney is the second largest financial and coporate area of Australia and CC Bears have access to that as well.

TV ratings are only a small part of the big picture.

Who says Ipswich will change the Tv ratings. Imagine the Ipswich side is like a re incarnated Crushers do you think people will flock to the TV sets to watch them. I heard this argument about North Qld Cowboys many years ago as well that they will become a major force in the competition. Except for a few years there it has not been the case at all. I do not know of many people in NSW or brisbane that races home to watch em on the telly either.

mightybears

Bench
Can anyone answer this?

A 20,000 seat stadium would cost 70m at the cheapest, and the money will be government money/not going to happen in the current client AND Suncorp is under used. Stadiums Queensland would fight the waste of money for a new stadium where they have venued doing nothing/not a peak.

John Fifita

Coach
That being the case, calling the club Ipswich and basing it in Ipswich is dumb. It's to far away, won't gst support in Brisbane ( where they play) and you won't get hoardes of Ipswich people traveling 50km to a "home" game. More feasible to reinstate the Crushers!

bobmar28

Bench
Nice try merkin

Ill type it again in a bigger font to make it easy for you.

My comments have been made & opinion formed on the information made available.

Ipswich have released SFA official information on their bid, especially when you compare them to other bids. As a member of the public who is interested in the expansion of our game, all you can do is compare the available information of all bids against other. Doing that, it appears Ipswich are a long way behind. That being so, how can you take them seriously, when the start date for the two new teams is less than 26 months away ?

Simple concept, did I lose you again ?

I don't know but you lost me. 26 months is plenty of time to get a team up and running.

bobmar28

Bench
Using your rationale, neither will Ipswich or CQ.

I have also noticed you use the TV audience as an argument for bringing in ipswich, how will ipswich bring in more viewers than CC ? (Apologies if it was not you).

On a side topic. Ipswich will not be able to use the jets as a logo/mascot. Remember Redcliffe's little tanty & subsequent threat of legal action when the Gold Coast wanted to use Dolphin as their mascot/logo.

This again?
The Gold Coast had never been known as the Dolphins and weren't even a team at the time. Ipswich has had the name Jets for 20 years.

bobmar28

Bench
What do Ipswich bring other then an area that is not NSW ?

Where is there business plan ?

Where is there stadium ?

Who is backing them ?

What finances are there ?

How many members do they currently have onboard ?

Who is there major sponsor ?

Who is on there board ?

All you know is Steve Jonson is chairman and he has a group and Brian Canavan is a consultant.

I think Ipswiuch could be a good area for expansion but to expand there now is madness considering they pretty much tick no boxes (other then being in QLD) and the bid is due in 87 days.

I would prefer them not to expand (other then Perth) if they are dead against the Bears coming in and wait until Ipswich prove themselves.

But to knock back the Bears whom are potentially going to be a lot stronger then a lot of the clubs already in the competition is silly.

Why not bring the Bears in as they will raise the bar and some other Sydney clubs may start looking over there shoulders. If Cronulla's development down there at Shark park doesn't get of the ground how long will they survive.

Some clubs whose leagues clubs are losing money and not getting the grants they should how long can they go on. There is a few clubs in Sydney worse off then the Bears franchise yet we'd keep them alive to keep wallowing.

Even the Roosters my side whilst they have a strong leagues club and backing they are fine but the time may come in 20 years down the track when they have to look elsewhere too.

The Bears are potentially a great long term investment.

Ipswich may be eventually as well but right now with the bid due in less then 87 days unless they get the FIFA Executive to vote I can;t see the ipswich bid getting through. Only Perth because everyone else in the NRL knows the strength of the Bears bid and does not want to know about it because they don't want the competition.
Quite a list. If Ipswich tick all your boxes I assume you would have no objection to them being granted a franchise.

macavity

Referee
I support a second Brisbane side - not Ipswich.

Hard to believe a credible bid isn't being developed.

Latest posts