What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

dgsfan

Juniors
Not very bright, are you? Never said I did. It shows the ratings for Friday night games featuring SEQLD teams vs games without SEQLD teams. Didn't think it was that hard to understand. I stand corrected.

adamkungl

Immortal
Of course another QLD team would bring in more TV revenue than the CC Bears. How can you not see that? Channel 9 have 9 Sydney teams to chose from but only 2 SEQLD teams. In the event that one of them is traveling badly (like last year), they have more options to get high ratings. Sydney is spoiled for choice on Friday nights. Then there's the issue of finals. Brisbane didn't make the finals this year. Imagine if they did. Ratings would have been significantly higher. Add another Brisbane tam and it increases the likely hood of a QLD team being in the finals. I surprised it's taken another explanation to get it through people's thick heads.

Wait, so the amazing Queensland "heartland of Rugby League" football fans who pack out stadiums and never miss a match won't actually watch a semi final unless a QLD teams is playing?

dgsfan

Juniors
Um, they watch in greater numbers when the game features a QLD team. Again, this thread is lacking some lateral thinking by some posters...

_Johnsy

Referee
Yet again you are assuming that the information available to the pubic is the same information available to the NRL. You don't even seem to bother to read the publicly released information if your lack of knowledge on some of the major points of the bid is anything to go by.

I think for where they're at they've released quite a bit of info. It'll be a membership based club run by the Ipswich Jets, they have said they want Cam Smith/Thaiday, they'll be playing out of Lang Park until they finance their own stadium in Ipswich, they'll be focussing on Ipswich/Logan/out to T'ba, the fans will be choosing the name/colours, etc. That's just off the top of my head and before the feasibility study has been finished.

The chairman has said that the bid will be low key and they won't be releasing the business plan till late Jan. You really do seem to value style over actual substance so maybe you'd prefer it if they went CQ NRL's way and held a press conference after every meeting with Gallop, etc?

Gallop has been quoted in RLW as saying "history shows you only need a lead-up time of around 18 months" to build an expansion team.
Why exactly do you think that 26 months is not enough time?
Is there any reason in particular why you think you'd have a better idea of what's needed than the CEO of the NRL?

You really need to take a step back, stop making embarrassing posts and look at what you're saying Johnsy. That or you can sit in the corner and google yourself to your heart's content. It's up to you.

No I am not, I have said over and over again. The information available to the public. You quoted my bolded sections read them.

They have released some quotes from people associated with the bid. There is little information outside quotes from those people. Apart from quotes in articles, exactly where can someone obtain information about their impending NRL bid ?

& exactly where are they ? All we know is they plan on making a submission for admission (again based on quotes from people we are assuming will be on the bid team).

So they committed to a submission even though the feasibility study has been completed. One would have thought you would wait until that has been done before announcing your bid. They had not even completed a business plan before announcing their bid. It's not about style or flashy websites (which you think I base my opinions on).

18 months to build a team, not develop a submission for admission into the NRL. To build the team (you know the 25 odd players/coach/support staff etc).

Exactly where do you rank the 4 bids based on the information available to the general pblic ?

_Johnsy

Referee
I dont know the exact numbers but, I would imagine that a QLD team would have been shown on the double header on Friday nights at least 80% of the time.

Its not about lateral thinking. It is impossible to say that having a team based in Ipswich will increase FTA viewer numbers.

mightybears

Bench
The NRL will become a joke if they opt for an 11th NSW team when they should be expanding outside NSW.

Not if the CC bid is the best bid, because if the market is there to tap it doesn't matter whether its Gosford, Ipswich or Budapest.
CC people support other teams currently in the NRL, as do those in Ipswich, neither is a better market.

Last edited:

dgsfan

Juniors
Yes on the live game. Delayed game? Probably 5%. Now Sydney. Live game? 100%. Delayed game 99%.

mightybears

Bench
Of course another QLD team would bring in more TV revenue than the CC Bears. How can you not see that? Channel 9 have 9 Sydney teams to chose from but only 2 SEQLD teams. In the event that one of them is traveling badly (like last year), they have more options to get high ratings. Sydney is spoiled for choice on Friday nights. Then there's the issue of finals. Brisbane didn't make the finals this year. Imagine if they did. Ratings would have been significantly higher. Add another Brisbane tam and it increases the likely hood of a QLD team being in the finals. I surprised it's taken another explanation to get it through people's thick heads.

Your first statement is utter bullsh*t, and then it gets worse-remarkable assumptions based on nothing , and then we are thickheads for not believing in your confusion?

dgsfan

Juniors
Just like it is impossible to say that CC will support the Bears in the long run. It's also impossible to say that the Bears will average high crowds...

_Johnsy

Referee
Your logic is flawed because it relies on speculating that an additional QLD team will ensure more FTA games featuring a QLD team live into QLD, Based on previous seasons, lets look at 2010..

Rnd 1 Bris V NQ
Rnd 2 Titans V Sths
Rnd 3 NQ V Drag
Rnd 4 Roost V Bris
Rnd 5 Drag V Bris & Titans V Melb
Rnd 6 Titans V Drags
Rnd 7 Parra V NQ & Dogs V Bris
Rnd 8 Bris V Newc
Rnd 9 No Fri night games
Rnd 10 Bris V Titans
Rnd 11 All 3 QLD sides had byes
Rnd 12 No QLD side played
Rnd 13 No QLD side played
Rnd 14 Titans V Manly, no 2nd fri night game
Rnd 15 Bris v Pen & Titans V Cant (Suncorp Double header)
Rnd 16 No QLD team played
Rnd 17 Bris V Tigers no 2nd fri night game
Rnd 18 Titans V Tigers
Rnd 19 Titans V Bris
Rnd 20 Drag V Titans
Rnd 21 Penr V NQ
Rnd 22 Titans V Eels & NQ V Bris
Rnd 23 Brisb V Eels
Rnd 24 Newc V Bris
Rnd 25 NZ V Bris
Rnd 26 Bris V Canb & Titans V Tigers

So when we have 2 games on Fri night, we had 3 weeks where a QLD based side was not shown live into QLD, & those 3 weeks had lower FTA numbers in QLD. Who would have guessed. I would imagine that QLD will get a similar number in 2011 and into the future.

So how does having another QLD based side ensure a higher number of FTA viewers (based upon the assumption there will be a similar number of weeks that no QLD teams get a live game on Fri night into QLD)?

It does not.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
Sound argument if we have only one time slot. But we don't have just one time slot. More QLD teams means more timeslots where there is an option to broadcast a game that involves a Queensland team and will rate better in Queensland while also showing a match that rates well in NSW.

Leigh.

BDGS

Bench
Using your rationale, neither will Ipswich or CQ.

I have also noticed you use the TV audience as an argument for bringing in ipswich, how will ipswich bring in more viewers than CC ? (Apologies if it was not you).

On a side topic. Ipswich will not be able to use the jets as a logo/mascot. Remember Redcliffe's little tanty & subsequent threat of legal action when the Gold Coast wanted to use Dolphin as their mascot/logo.

What do Ipswich bring other then an area that is not NSW ?

Where is there business plan ?

Where is there stadium ?

Who is backing them ?

What finances are there ?

How many members do they currently have onboard ?

Who is there major sponsor ?

Who is on there board ?

All you know is Steve Jonson is chairman and he has a group and Brian Canavan is a consultant.

I think Ipswiuch could be a good area for expansion but to expand there now is madness considering they pretty much tick no boxes (other then being in QLD) and the bid is due in 87 days.

I would prefer them not to expand (other then Perth) if they are dead against the Bears coming in and wait until Ipswich prove themselves.

But to knock back the Bears whom are potentially going to be a lot stronger then a lot of the clubs already in the competition is silly.

Why not bring the Bears in as they will raise the bar and some other Sydney clubs may start looking over there shoulders. If Cronulla's development down there at Shark park doesn't get of the ground how long will they survive.

Some clubs whose leagues clubs are losing money and not getting the grants they should how long can they go on. There is a few clubs in Sydney worse off then the Bears franchise yet we'd keep them alive to keep wallowing.

Even the Roosters my side whilst they have a strong leagues club and backing they are fine but the time may come in 20 years down the track when they have to look elsewhere too.

The Bears are potentially a great long term investment.

Ipswich may be eventually as well but right now with the bid due in less then 87 days unless they get the FIFA Executive to vote I can;t see the ipswich bid getting through. Only Perth because everyone else in the NRL knows the strength of the Bears bid and does not want to know about it because they don't want the competition.

According to a few very well informed posters in this thread, apparently it is all being kept a big secret.

Logic does not work with this poster, he is the typical bum-bulldogs supporter that sleeps on the streets and uses an Internet Cafe to come on here.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
No I am not, I have said over and over again. The information available to the public. You quoted my bolded sections read them.

They have released some quotes from people associated with the bid. There is little information outside quotes from those people. Apart from quotes in articles, exactly where can someone obtain information about their impending NRL bid ? & exactly where are they ? All we know is they plan on making a submission for admission (again based on quotes from people we are assuming will be on the bid team).

They're quotes from the people running the bid and the CEO of the NRL... Who else would be better prepared to offer them?

Perhaps they should quote you? You googled "Ipswich jets nrl bid" after all, clearly you know what you're on about.

So they committed to a submission even though the feasibility study has been completed. One would have thought you would wait until that has been done before announcing your bid. They had not even completed a business plan before announcing their bid. It's not about style or flashy websites (which you think I base my opinions on).

Why? The Bears only finished theirs in 2009, well after they had announced their intention to rejoin the NRL while the Reds have yet to finish theirs as of Dec 2010.

Seems like your aversion to knowledge is not restricted to the Jets but encompasses all of the bids.

18 months to build a team, not develop a submission for admission into the NRL. To build the team (you know the 25 odd players/coach/support staff etc).
Give or take a few months for the NRL/IC to make a decision and that leaves them a year and half to sign 25 players/associated staff and let the public vote on the name/colours. The stadium, juniors, fans, corporate support is there.

Exactly where do you rank the 4 bids based on the information available to the general pblic ?
Four bids? I count five official bids from WA, CC, Ipswich, Rocky and PNG. Which of these are you discounting?

For the record I think the Reds/Bears/Jets are in one tier and the two teams admitted will come from a combination of WA and one of the heartland teams. I think CQ and PNG are on a separate tier and neither will get a look in.

As I've answered your question would you mind answering some of mine you seem to have ignored and a few more?

-How has the Ipswich bid acted in an unprofessional manner?
-What makes you think that you're more qualified than the NRL CEO to comment on the lead-in time needed for an expansion team?
-In what way is the bid embarrassing or shonky?
-Why do you believe that the Jets bid will not be ready until 2025 at the earliest?
-Why do you think that "Even Central QLD look 1000 times more professional than the Ipswich bid does".

BDGS

Bench
Your first statement is utter bullsh*t, and then it gets worse-remarkable assumptions based on nothing , and then we are thickheads for not believing in your confusion?

Your logic is flawed because it relies on speculating that an additional QLD team will ensure more FTA games featuring a QLD team live into QLD, Based on previous seasons, lets look at 2010..

Rnd 1 Bris V NQ
Rnd 2 Titans V Sths
Rnd 3 NQ V Drag
Rnd 4 Roost V Bris
Rnd 5 Drag V Bris & Titans V Melb
Rnd 6 Titans V Drags
Rnd 7 Parra V NQ & Dogs V Bris
Rnd 8 Bris V Newc
Rnd 9 No Fri night games
Rnd 10 Bris V Titans
Rnd 11 All 3 QLD sides had byes
Rnd 12 No QLD side played
Rnd 13 No QLD side played
Rnd 14 Titans V Manly, no 2nd fri night game
Rnd 15 Bris v Pen & Titans V Cant (Suncorp Double header)
Rnd 16 No QLD team played
Rnd 17 Bris V Tigers no 2nd fri night game
Rnd 18 Titans V Tigers
Rnd 19 Titans V Bris
Rnd 20 Drag V Titans
Rnd 21 Penr V NQ
Rnd 22 Titans V Eels & NQ V Bris
Rnd 23 Brisb V Eels
Rnd 24 Newc V Bris
Rnd 25 NZ V Bris
Rnd 26 Bris V Canb & Titans V Tigers

So when we have 2 games on Fri night, we had 3 weeks where a QLD based side was not shown live into QLD, & those 3 weeks had lower FTA numbers in QLD. Who would have guessed. I would imagine that QLD will get a similar number in 2011 and into the future.

So how does having another QLD based side ensure a higher number of FTA viewers (based upon the assumption there will be a similar number of weeks that no QLD teams get a live game on Fri night into QLD)?

It does not.

yep, agree easily. Anybody who can't see this has rocks in their heads.

Sound argument if we have only one time slot. But we don't have just one time slot. More QLD teams means more timeslots where there is an option to broadcast a game that involves a Queensland team and will rate better in Queensland while also showing a match that rates well in NSW.

Leigh.

More QLD teams mean more time slots? care to explain?

Also where are these assumptions that another SEQ Qld team would rate better on TV coming from?

is it because the Broncos and their baby Brothers rate well on TV? What about TV figures of Sth QLD Crushers and the former GC teams?

Biased assumptions.

dgsfan

Juniors

Leigh.

Perfect post. It's hard for him to tihnk a little before he posts.

_Johnsy

Referee

Leigh.

So if a 2nd QLD team is admitted we'll have 4 out of 18 teams. Yet we give them one guaranteed Friday night liive game into their largest market. Essentialy stiff shyte to the other 14 teams.

The only fair way to do it is each team receives the same number of FTA games in each timeslot (in the future TV deal, hopefully Friday, Saturday night & sun arvo)

_Johnsy

Referee
-How has the Ipswich bid acted in an unprofessional manner?

This is my opinion. There is not one single place the public can obtain information about the prospectiver NRL bid. Deciding to annnounce a multi million NRL bid submission before completing either a feasibility study or a business plan. Hardly a professional approach. Feel free to refer to the entire time the Titans took to develop a hugely successful bid and the way which they released and provided information to the public/community. Again my opinion, feel free to disagree.

-What makes you think that you're more qualified than the NRL CEO to comment on the lead-in time needed for an expansion team?

I have not stated I am more qualified. I questioned the quote you provided, 18 months to build a team does not mean 18 months to complete a NRL admission bid and be ready to play in the NRL. Again my opinion.

-In what way is the bid embarrassing or shonky?
See answer 1.

-Why do you believe that the Jets bid will not be ready until 2025 at the earliest?

That was a figure plucked from the air, no basis at all.

-Why do you think that "Even Central QLD look 1000 times more professional than the Ipswich bid does".

You used the word looks, that is based on the easily accessable information the CQ bid provides. Go and have a look at their site and the information they provide. Very thorough and yes it looks 100 more times professional that the available information the Ipswich bid has provided to the general public.
here is an example
http://www.cqnrlbid.com.au/2010/12/cq-nrl-bid-launches-informational-booklet/
The CQ NRL Bid today launched a high quality information booklet that will be the primary collateral material for the Bid into 2011. The booklet identifies the region with respect to the Bid and highlights the diversity and uniqueness of Central Queensland as well the region’s avidity for Rugby League. The CQ NRL Bid Chairman, Geoff Murphy has written the foreword in which he reinforces his own and his Boards’ commitment to the Bid and its objectives.
“We are extremely proud of this publication. It explains our vision and the benefits to our community that will eventuate when we have a NRL Club here in CQ” Chairman Geoff Murphy said at today’s launch. “This is one more significant development for the Bid” the Chairman concluded.

The booklet explains and extols the three principal planks of the CQ NRL Bid.
  • THE TEAM
  • THE STADIUM
  • THE ACADEMY
The booklet outlines the major developments of the CQ NRL Bid to date, including a copy of the STADIUM commitment letter from Premier Anna Bligh MP. It discusses the economic, social and cultural benefits that will flow to Central Queensland as a result of the establishment of a NRL Club in CQ. It states the commitment of QR National to Principal Sponsorship of the CQ NRL Club and acknowledges the corporate and business sectors of CQ that have aligned themselves to the Bid.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
So if a 2nd QLD team is admitted we'll have 4 out of 18 teams. Yet we give them one guaranteed Friday night liive game into their largest market. Essentialy stiff shyte to the other 14 teams.

The only fair way to do it is each team receives the same number of FTA games in each timeslot (in the future TV deal, hopefully Friday, Saturday night & sun arvo)

Well if you think about this way,

With 4 QLD teams out of 18 = 22% approx of the comp is QLD based

Now if we go to 4 F2A games a week (2 Friday, 2 Sunday) - 8 teams are featured weekly (or 44% of the competition)

If 2 out of the 8 on F2A TV teams are QLD teams (1 Friday, 1 Sunday) = 2/8 = 25%, only 3% greater than the % that QLD makes up in the competition, which is pretty fair given QLD standing in the game.

With 4 QLD teams, we can guarantee a QLD team every Friday & Sunday, which is why back-to-back double header games are the way the NRL should go, especially on a Sunday because both NSW & QLD fans will sit through the entirety of both games. Friday's should be play simultaneously at 7:30pm (on 2 channels), depending on the market - and then replayed at 9:30pm.

Last edited:

Latest posts