What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

bobmar28

Bench
This is my opinion. There is not one single place the public can obtain information about the prospectiver NRL bid. Deciding to annnounce a multi million NRL bid submission before completing either a feasibility study or a business plan. Hardly a professional approach. Feel free to refer to the entire time the Titans took to develop a hugely successful bid and the way which they released and provided information to the public/community. Again my opinion, feel free to disagree.

I have not stated I am more qualified. I questioned the quote you provided, 18 months to build a team does not mean 18 months to complete a NRL admission bid and be ready to play in the NRL. Again my opinion.

See answer 1.

That was a figure plucked from the air, no basis at all.

You used the word looks, that is based on the easily accessable information the CQ bid provides. Go and have a look at their site and the information they provide. Very thorough and yes it looks 100 more times professional that the available information the Ipswich bid has provided to the general public.
here is an example
http://www.cqnrlbid.com.au/2010/12/cq-nrl-bid-launches-informational-booklet/
The CQ NRL Bid today launched a high quality information booklet that will be the primary collateral material for the Bid into 2011. The booklet identifies the region with respect to the Bid and highlights the diversity and uniqueness of Central Queensland as well the region’s avidity for Rugby League. The CQ NRL Bid Chairman, Geoff Murphy has written the foreword in which he reinforces his own and his Boards’ commitment to the Bid and its objectives.
“We are extremely proud of this publication. It explains our vision and the benefits to our community that will eventuate when we have a NRL Club here in CQ” Chairman Geoff Murphy said at today’s launch. “This is one more significant development for the Bid” the Chairman concluded.

The booklet explains and extols the three principal planks of the CQ NRL Bid.
  • THE TEAM
  • THE STADIUM
  • THE ACADEMY
The booklet outlines the major developments of the CQ NRL Bid to date, including a copy of the STADIUM commitment letter from Premier Anna Bligh MP. It discusses the economic, social and cultural benefits that will flow to Central Queensland as a result of the establishment of a NRL Club in CQ. It states the commitment of QR National to Principal Sponsorship of the CQ NRL Club and acknowledges the corporate and business sectors of CQ that have aligned themselves to the Bid.

Sounds like CQ could be a goer then. Even more bad news for the CC.

bobmar28

Bench
I haven't read the other 1,000 or so posts so nit sure if this gas been covered. Why have an Ipswich team play out of Lang park? It's 50km from Ipswich. If you want a second team in Brisbane, make it a Brisbane team. Would penrith consider playing out of the SFS?

The Tigers do. 50k from Campbelltown.

Brutus

Referee
I haven't read the other 1,000 or so posts so nit sure if this gas been covered. Why have an Ipswich team play out of Lang park? It's 50km from Ipswich. If you want a second team in Brisbane, make it a Brisbane team. Would penrith consider playing out of the SFS?

They may as well.

Their crowds are sh*t anyway.

mongoose

Coach
Can anyone answer this?

Ipswich is not 50 km from lang park....in fact Lang Park is very accessible to the people of Ipswich and Springfield/Forest lakes. There are connecting highways pretty much directly from Ipswich to Inner west brisbane where Lang Park is. Milton station (right next to lang park) is also on the Ipswich train line. It works out very well actually.

But you know sydney people seem to know more about ipswich/brisbane than queenslanders....

John Fifita

Coach
I'm from toowong. Ipswich motorway is a goat track and you know it. Unless they are scheduling games at midnight it ain't easy to get to.

mongoose

Coach
I'm from toowong. Ipswich motorway is a goat track and you know it. Unless they are scheduling games at midnight it ain't easy to get to.

Well compared to the roads in sydney, i imagine it would still take half the time to get from ipswich to lang park than from campbelltown to leichardt.

mongoose

Coach
Besides, the days of naming teams after suburbs is dead in my opinion. If this bid is to start moving forward it will be the west brisbane jets or something. This will attract more fans from around the SEQLD region than calling them Ipswich.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
A null point, Ipswich won't be admitted in 2013.

Then why on earth did you start a thread examining the possibility of legal action between Newtown and Ipswich over the use of the name 'Jets', if you are so certain of this point? Very strange posting.

_Johnsy

Referee
Its my opinion. I honestly don't think they will.

Your answer is in the first part of that thread you refer to.

juanfarkall

Coach
There is more chance of the Ipswich City Mall being fully let by the end of this month than there is of the Jedi having the ability to run a NRL outfit in 2013

Smiley

Bench
Besides, the days of naming teams after suburbs is dead in my opinion. If this bid is to start moving forward it will be the west brisbane jets or something. This will attract more fans from around the SEQLD region than calling them Ipswich.

Suburb?

Are your trying to say that Ipswich is a suburb of Brisbane?

BDGS

Bench
Ipswich lifeline to Broncos

THE baby Brisbane Broncos are set to unleash a talented crop of Ipswich teenagers next season, as the city’s young guns begin their march to the NRL.

The Broncos under-20 Toyota Cup squad for the 2011 season features seven players from the Ipswich region.

It represents the greatest number of youngsters the famous club has ever had on its books and could see a return to the days of Allan Langer and the Walters brothers playing in the maroon and yellow.

The seven players are outside backs Rian Diffey, David Faamita, James Furminger, Jordan Tighe, back rowers Waita Setu, Ben Reuter and prop Zac Lemberg.

There is also 20-year-old Kurtis Lingwoodock who is tipped to be part of the NRL top 25 squad.

They are all training at Red Hill in preparation for next season.

Faamita, Furminger and Lemberg were all signed to the Broncos after impressive seasons for the Ipswich Jets Colts.

Reuter was picked up after starring for the Gatton Hawks in the Toowoomba Rugby League competition.

Setu is the younger brother of former Bronco Lagi who has embarked on a Mormon mission, while Tighe is a rising star just out of high school.

Brisbane Broncos’ Ipswich scout Paul Lowe is responsible for most of the players ending up at the Broncos.

He said most of the teens had been with the Broncos for some time now.

“Its good that Ipswich juniors are being signed up, but these things come and go. Its not like they have all been signed in the past month, they have been affiliated with the club for some time,” Lowe said.

“Jordan Tighe has been there since he was under 15 for instance.

“They all have talent and they all seem to be fitting in well at training at the Broncos.

“But really it is a year-to-year thing. Some years there’s a talented group, others there isn’t.

“It comes and goes and at the moment it’s going really well.”

The group of Ipswich players at the Broncos comes despite the Gold Coast Titans being affiliated with the Ipswich Jets.

The Sydney Roosters are partnered with the Ipswich Junior Rugby League, but they have many Ipswich teens on their books, most still aged 16 and 17.

Furminger said he chose to be part of the Broncos despite interest from the Titans because he grew up supporting the club and saw more opportunity.

“It’s amazing to think I’ll be at the club I’ve been a fan of all my life,” Furminger said.

“My grandma is a huge Broncos fan so she was one of the first people I told and she was stoked for me.”

Ipswich’s baby Broncos

Rian Diffey: Wing, Ipswich Mal Meninga Cup (2010 club)

David Faamita: Centre, Ipswich Jets Colts

James Furminger: Wing, Ipswich Jets Colts

Zac Lemberg: Forward, Ipswich Jets Colts

Ben Reuter: Front Row, Gatton Hawks

Waita Setu: Backrow, West End

Jordan Tighe: Fullback, Ipswich Mal Meninga Cup

http://www.qt.com.au/s

andrew057

First Grade
Since most people with some common sense can agree Ipswich is just too far behind to be admitted in 2013.

When would be the ideal year for them and a second NZ team to be brought in to the comp?

BDGS

Bench
Since most people with some common sense can agree Ipswich is just too far behind to be admitted in 2013.

When would be the ideal year for them and a second NZ team to be brought in to the comp?

I think it'll depend on the length of the TV deal.

If we sign a 5 year TV deal for 2013 onwards then 2018 would be a perfect time to bring in another QLD team along with either a NZ or SA team.

It'll have to be between 2018-2020.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Ohh, must've missed this post earlier.
No, I have typed this 1000 times. My opinion is based on what information is available to the public at this point in time. I do not know how I can explain this/dumb it down any more.

Are you sure about that?

He said Build a team, not develop a bid. 2 different things. At this point Ipswich have sweet FA assured (apart from being in talks). Plenty of future consultation & talking not much else. If there is more what is the damage in letting the people they hope to represent know?

Are you sure about that ?

I was showing you a sample of the INFORMATION made available by the CQ bid. Has it sunk in yet the information available from the bidding team, very easy to find in one central location.

One more time, it is about information made available by the bid teams. Not a quote from one of the prospective team in a few different articles. But actual information found in one easy location. Is this too difficult to understand?

I post links and you are too lazy to click and read for yourself. You have no idea about even the most basic parts of the either the bids you support or the bids you don't support. What gets me is that you are trying to palm off criticism of your ignorance by saying that your opinion has been formed by the information that has been released to the public. Yet most of the information that has been relesased to the public and then posted in this very thread about the Jets bid you've seemingly ignored.

Talks with between the Jets bid team and Stadiums QLD about the use of Lang park are not good enough for you yet the promise from a state govt leader who is almost certain to be out of office at the next election is somehow acceptable? Strange.
Maybe you can help me out, do any of the bid teams have an actual locked-in stadium deal yet? Or are they all in the same position, in talks with the various stadium authorities? Maybe you can put your awesome google skills into use for us once again.

The Bears didn't finish their business plan until 2009, a year after their first meetings with Gallop, and the Reds have yet to finish theirs as of December. Yet when presented with these facts all you can offer is a lame "Are you sure about that?".

I really have to question why you are even participating in this thread (or any other bid team thread for that matter) when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. We may aswell be asking a blind man for his opinion on the Mona Lisa...

Last edited:

Latest posts