What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Goddo

Bench
Thats the problem though, the bids clearly arent equal. CC Bears are light years ahead of what the others have shown. As I mentioned, I honestly can't see any chance of Ipswich being admitted in 2013.

Well if thats the case, whats the point of expanding at all?

Why expand in an area we don't really need a team in that doesn't really add much money to the game? Especially when we can simply wait a few years, consolidate juniors and current clubs with the new TV deal, and set up in ideal locations such as Queensland WA and NZ.

This is the mood that came out of the club CEOs meeting - we should expand in Queensland and Perth, and if they ain't ready, the game should wait a year or two.

The NRL hasn't even called for expansion bids yet. And so long as all the financial pieces are in place, the Ipswich bid will have no trouble being ready with a two year lead in time.

andrew057

First Grade
Why not?

Comparing Campbelltown based Tigers fans traveling to the SFS and Ipswich fans traveling into Suncorp is silly, chalk and cheese stuff.

To get to the SFS from Struggletown on public transport you need to to take at a minimum 1 train then a bus (or you could walk from central) and it will take 1 1/2 hrs. To get from Ipswich to Milton its just 1 train and your there at the stadium in roughly 45min.

Yeah point is mate, they only do it a couple times a season, for games against other Sydney teams or for finals. They dont do it every second week.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Well if the Central Coast bring nothing to the game can all Sydney clubs and Newcastle stop using the area for juniors and games.

The Central Coast does bring finanicial clout to the game.

Its bid is solid nothing more needs to be stated.

CC Bears and WA Reds or a QLD bid if ready.

Justice for the CC and the Bears, BRING BACK THE BEARS, and give the Central Coast a team.

Goddo

Bench
The bears have had longer to prepare and seem a mile infront. Should they fail next TV rights both QLD teams WILL come in. If they fix the bids up then can make it this time but it would be a rushed bid and wont be as effective.

But lets look at the Bears bid.

They have a pre existing stadium, sorted their financial model, marketing and branding. They have established sponsors and are now in the process of building memberships.

They have done everything required and are now marking time until the call goes out from the NRL.

But Ipswich isn't really that far behind.

Memberships are nice to have as a lead in, but is definately not a very big concideration when compared to location and tv money. Its the icing on the cake, but the Bears cake is still smaller compared to Perth and Ipswich.

Ipswich will play out of the best stadium for football in Australia in a short term period before moving into a new ground which has recieved funding guarentees from state Government. No different to the Titans or Storm.

Ipswich will finalise within the next 2 months their full financial model and club structure. That is the hard ground work that must be finished. Sponsors, members and so on can be found over the next two years as the new clubs identity evolves.

You can see this in the Titans, A League and AFL expansion clubs - its how it works. The criticism that Ipswich don't have members, a nailed down name or signed up sponsors is really irelevant.

I think right now the most likely thing to happen with expansion is either
Perth and Ipswich get in 2013 or expansion is delayed 1-2 years before expanding in Perth and Ipswich.

The least likely outcome is the ARLC make a popularist emotional decision and admit the Bears.

andrew057

First Grade
Well if thats the case, whats the point of expanding at all?

Why expand in an area we don't really need a team in that doesn't really add much money to the game? Especially when we can simply wait a few years, consolidate juniors and current clubs with the new TV deal, and set up in ideal locations such as Queensland WA and NZ.

This is the mood that came out of the club CEOs meeting - we should expand in Queensland and Perth, and if they ain't ready, the game should wait a year or two.

The NRL hasn't even called for expansion bids yet. And so long as all the financial pieces are in place, the Ipswich bid will have no trouble being ready with a two year lead in time.

There is a need for a team on the Central Coast though mate, I think thats what youre failing to grasp. Add that to the fact their bid is light years ahead of anything else, it would seem almost silly to not admit them.

Do we need another Queensland team? Yes. Do we need another NZ team? Yes. Do either have any semblance of a bid? Not really.

A year or 2? Most reports Ive read have said that the NRL will call for bids mid way through this year. Bids in a year or 2 will be no good for 2013 admittance into the NRL.

Goddo

Bench
Well if the Central Coast bring nothing to the game can all Sydney clubs and Newcastle stop using the area for juniors and games.

The Central Coast does bring finanicial clout to the game.

Its bid is solid nothing more needs to be stated.

CC Bears and WA Reds or a QLD bid if ready.

Justice for the CC and the Bears, BRING BACK THE BEARS, and give the Central Coast a team.

I know you are a one eyed Bears fan, but surely you can see you are clutching at straws? The player poaching will continue just fine without the Bears.

It is a solid bid, but it brings no new revenue to the game. Sorry, it ain't gonna happen.

Goddo

Bench
There is a need for a team on the Central Coast though mate, I think thats what youre failing to grasp. Add that to the fact their bid is light years ahead of anything else, it would seem almost silly to not admit them.
I am not failing to grasp that. I have said before the CC is fine so long as it occurs with some sort of rationalisation in NSW (ie Sydney). The clubs are struggling because there are too many of them competing for sponsors and fans. adding one more is silly. We need a better spread, and the CC is part of that, but not while there are huge oportunities in other states.

Do we need another Queensland team? Yes. Do we need another NZ team? Yes. Do either have any semblance of a bid? Not really.

Ipswich does, as does Central Queensland.

A year or 2? Most reports Ive read have said that the NRL will call for bids mid way through this year. Bids in a year or 2 will be no good for 2013 admittance into the NRL.
The NRL clubs CEOs like the idea of Perth and Queensland, but they collectively think 2013 might not be a good time frame. Their statement not mine.

andrew057

First Grade
Ipswich will play out of the best stadium for football in Australia in a short term period before moving into a new ground which has recieved funding guarentees from state Government. No different to the Titans or Storm.

Ipswich will finalise within the next 2 months their full financial model and club structure. That is the hard ground work that must be finished. Sponsors, members and so on can be found over the next two years as the new clubs identity evolves.

Do you have any sources for either of these two points you made?

mightybears

Bench
I know you are a one eyed Bears fan, but surely you can see you are clutching at straws? The player poaching will continue just fine without the Bears.

It is a solid bid, but it brings no new revenue to the game. Sorry, it ain't gonna happen.

Again, like many of your statements, still waiting for the Goddo proofs-where is the proof that the CCB's will not bring new revenue streams but Ipswich/SEQ will?

andrew057

First Grade
So no new ground which has recieved funding guarentees from state Government has been promised? I hope Goddo has a source.

That article only states a feasibility study will be undertaken. Says nothing about finalising "full financial model and club structure"

andrew057

First Grade
No different to the Titans or Storm.

Huge difference. Titans played for 1 season ON the Gold Coast before moving to their new stadium. Sotrm played in the heart of Melbournes sporting district while their new stadium was being built.

Ipswich locals will have to travel 40km each way for 5 years before they get to actually see their team play in Ipswich going from what Applesauce is saying.

applesauce

Bench
So no new ground which has recieved funding guarentees from state Government has been promised? I hope Goddo has a source.

No stadia has been promised. Though the Jets seem to want their own and are in negotiations with Suncorp for the first few seasons.

That article only states a feasibility study will be undertaken. Says nothing about finalising "full financial model and club structure"

It also says just after the feasibility study the business plan will be completed...

franklin2323

Immortal

They have a pre existing stadium, sorted their financial model, marketing and branding. They have established sponsors and are now in the process of building memberships.

They have done everything required and are now marking time until the call goes out from the NRL.

Memberships are nice to have as a lead in, but is definately not a very big concideration when compared to location and tv money. Its the icing on the cake, but the Bears cake is still smaller compared to Perth and Ipswich.

You can see this in the Titans, A League and AFL expansion clubs - its how it works. The criticism that Ipswich don't have members, a nailed down name or signed up sponsors is really irelevant.

Perth and Ipswich get in 2013 or expansion is delayed 1-2 years before expanding in Perth and Ipswich.

The least likely outcome is the ARLC make a popularist emotional decision and admit the Bears.

If Perth is ready and CC why would they delay? You say they should grant them entry and then let them work out sponsor etc once they get in. What happens if they don't get sponsorship and aren't ready??

I hear this about the TV pie. Yet in NSW QLD teams don't rate and the other way around. So either way they wont bring to much to the table other then the extra game weekly no matter who it is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Where did teh Crushers play and draw their fans from? Seems in their first year their crowds were pretty healthy.

mongoose

Coach

This is exactly it.

Location will be the biggest selling point when the NRL makes their decision, not who was ready first, whos fans live closer to the ground, who has the most members etc.

Ipswich and the potential rivalries with the other QLD teams will open up all kinds of sponsorship and revenue opportunities.

It also puts a 3rd team in SEQLD, keeping League on top of the AFL in this area. At the moment its 2-2, which is unacceptable.

How is one suppose to go forward with any sort of bid without sponsors on board before hand? Money magically rains down? Jets alone don't have the cash to finalize a bid, they need sponsors and memberships or private/corporate backing for funds to enable them to actually hire the correct
people to help the bid. As CC, CQ and WA have done. If it were the dolphins, I'd say fair enough as they have equity but the Jets? They need sponsors pre bid to generate funds to formulate the complete bid.

To say it's not a neccessity yet is rubbish and proves my point that people here are under-informed about the bid. I already stated that they approach rtedwards yet were turned down. So yes they are looking for sponsors. But no one is knocking the door down to back them. Mortage House, QRNational and Cash Converters were locked in as sponsors of the other bids well and truly before the end of the year.

To suggest Ipswich isn't far off the pace is ludicrous. You need money to have a bid, there's no denying that. You need community involvement for a bid.

As for memberships, the NRL have underlined the importance they serve to every club in the comp. All bids again are signing them up or getting petition signatures. Again the lack of work from Ipswich isn't lack of effort rather a lack of strategy. But what would I know right?

Latest posts