What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

andrew057

First Grade
40km each way for Ipswich locals to see their teams "home" games for the first 5 years.

I just cant get past this point.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I agree with the notion that NSW has too many teams on principle.

If you look at it from a simple numbers game you have a city of 3.5M (Sydney) with 9 teams, a city of 270 000 (Newcastle) with 1 team and a city of 220 000 with 1/2 a team, but lets call it 1 for this exercise. Add in the population on the CC, 250 000, and you have an average of 380 000 per team. Add another team and it becomes 340 000 per team.

Now Qld has a city of 1.5M (Brisbane) with 1 team, a city of 370 000 (GC) with 1 team and a city of 120 000 (Townsville) and you have an average of 670 000 per team. Add another team and it becomes 500 000 per team.

I know, I know its not that simple but it certainly is a strong arguement nontheless. Now before anyone pulls the line of "Well Adelaide has a population of over 1M, why not put a team there?" we are talking about RL heartlands here, cities where RL is the #1 professional code in town.

Sadly for the CC, it just doesnt stack up in their favour. Perhaps they should start making moves to become the Noth Brisbane Bears

Perth Red

Post Whore
40km each way for Ipswich locals to see their teams "home" games for the first 5 years.

two points:

40min journey, It'll take me at least that to get to NIB stadium for the Reds, won't be an issue for me. Sydney suburban thinking doesn't equate in other parts of the country.

Crushers drew decent crowds despite playing in a stadium not in their "backyard".

There is undoubtly a danger of calling a team after a smallish area and not having the stadium in that smallish area and is one of the reasons why imo they shouldn;t call themselves Ipswich. How big a population live within 45minutes of Suncorp that a non suburb specific team could tap into? Then add in all those people who live within 45mins of Suncorp who won't support the Broncos but would support another team playing there.

_Johnsy

Referee
NSW has 10 teams. QLD has only 3. Are you saying that is not a fact?

You claim wasn't that NSW had 10 teams and QLD 3, was it?

the fact remains there is no need for an 11th NSW team.

I'll happily wait for the "facts", or you can just admit it is a baseless claim.

Another option is admit that you lied as there are no facts to support your claim, just a biased opinion.

RedVee

First Grade
I don't think they should call it either Ipswich, or Jets.
I do think that the CC should be concerned, no matter the "rightfulness" of the Bears being returned, I feel that either a Brisbane/SQ team or the CQ team will join the Reds in the comp as part of the next expansion.
I consider CC Bears best hope is if a Sydney team relocates to Qld or Perth, leaving an odd number in the comp without the Bears. I don't know whether anyone will be moving anytime soon, sorta doubt it.

Talons

Juniors

According to google it takes 1hour and 13 minutes to get from Milson's Point (Bears territory) to Gosford...Is this point of equal concern.

_Johnsy

Referee
According to google it takes 1hour and 13 minutes to get from Milson's Point (Bears territory) to Gosford...Is this point of equal concern.

I'd take the 1 hour and 13 minute drive compared to a trip on the Ipswich Motorway when there is traffic. Absolute horror drive you need 3 days food to get into Brisbane.

andrew057

First Grade

Geez are you being deliberately thick or just stupid?

Blue Tongue is smack bang in the middle of Bears Territory and a fantastic stadium for the proposed bid. Sure from the outer point of Bears Territory is about an hour to the Stadium. The majority of the Bears demographic would be within 30 mins of the stadium and thats a fact.

Anyway, Isnt Toowoomba meant to be in Ipswich Jets Territory? According to google it takes 1hours and 44minutes to get from Toowoomba to Suncorp...Is this point even more concerning?

The REAL concern is Ipswich fans will NOT have a stadium in their Territory at all to play out of for about 5 years.

RedVee

First Grade
Not really, I doubt many would care. They'll either want to go or not, regardless. The ground however is smack bang right in the centre of the CC part of the Central Coast Bears area. Fairly convenient for them.

Blue Tongue is smack bang in the middle of Bears Territory and a fantastic stadium for the proposed bid. Sure from the outer point of Bears Territory is about an hour to the Stadium. The majority of the Bears demographic would be within 30 mins of the stadium and thats a fact.

Anyway, Isnt Toowoomba meant to be in Ipswich Jets Territory? According to google it takes 1hours and 44minutes to get from Toowoomba to Suncorp...Is this point even more concerning?

The REAL concern is Ipswich fans will NOT have a stadium in their Territory at all to play out of for about 5 years.

5 years? Why would they bother if they Suncorp works financially for them? I think that is a big "we'll see".

Talons

Juniors

Your the one who stated that 40ks travel was a point you just couldn't get past, and then you start calling other people fools.
Go back and have a good look in the mirror, on second thought maybe in your case....perhaps not.

BDGS

Bench
It may not be that far for Jets fans who don't live in Ipswich.

You gotta have a strong supporter base in your own area before you start branching out and having large numbers of supporters in other areas outside of your lines.

google? really? lol

Great response.

Talons

Juniors
You gotta have a strong supporter base in your own area before you start branching out and having large numbers of supporters in other areas outside of your lines.

google? really? lol

Great response.

And N.S.W does have a strong support base, so in essence your'e saying that it's a good time to expand to areas that love their league but have fewer teams...thanks for your support

BDGS

Bench
And N.S.W does have a strong support base, so in essence your'e saying that it's a good time to expand to areas that love their league but have fewer teams...thanks for your support

Don't put words in my mouth arsehole.

What i am saying by that is any club can not rely on support from outside of their own area if their own area is does not have a strong supporter base. And that is why the Broncos, Dragons and Bulldogs are so damn successful in this area.

andrew057

First Grade
Your the one who stated that 40ks travel was a point you just couldn't get past, and then you start calling other people fools.
Go back and have a good look in the mirror, on second thought maybe in your case....perhaps not.

Can you respond to the points made in my previous post.

Look forward to your response.

andrew057

First Grade
5 years? Why would they bother if they Suncorp works financially for them? I think that is a big "we'll see".

Thats my point, its a huge question mark. Will it work financially? Will fans be willing to travel that far every second week? How many will? Etc.

Talons

Juniors

andrew057

First Grade
Yes thats the post Talons. Its concerning that a portion of Bears supporters have to travel from Milson's Point to Bluetongue, but you dont think theres a problem with Jets supporters having to travel even further from Toowoomba to Suncorp?