What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Talons

Juniors
Don't put words in my mouth arsehole.

Someone has to speak on behalf of the intellectually disadvantaged.

What i am saying by that is any club can not rely on support from outside of their own area if their own area is does not have a strong supporter base. And that is why the Broncos, Dragons and Bulldogs are so damn successful in this area.

Can you repeat the above statement but this time in English.

Talons

Juniors
Geez are you being deliberately thick or just stupid?

Blue Tongue is smack bang in the middle of Bears Territory and a fantastic stadium for the proposed bid. Sure from the outer point of Bears Territory is about an hour to the Stadium. The majority of the Bears demographic would be within 30 mins of the stadium and thats a fact.

Anyway, Isnt Toowoomba meant to be in Ipswich Jets Territory? According to google it takes 1hours and 44minutes to get from Toowoomba to Suncorp...Is this point even more concerning?

The REAL concern is Ipswich fans will NOT have a stadium in their Territory at all to play out of for about 5 years.

I'm certainly not going to disagree with obvious short term advantages of the demographics of the CC bid. IMO however I feel the NRL will have the foresight to see the long term benefits of a QLD expansion.
If this entails temporary inconvenience for some supporters until they have their own home ground I think they will easily adapt to the use of Suncorp on an alternate basis.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm certainly not going to disagree with obvious short term advantages of the demographics of the CC bid. IMO however I feel the NRL will have the foresight to see the long term benefits of a QLD expansion.
If this entails temporary inconvenience for some supporters until they have their own home ground I think they will easily adapt to the use of Suncorp on an alternate basis.

Hmm...it almost seems like they should wait until the next round of expansion in another 5 years or so. The long term benefits will still be there - they're long term after all.

RedVee

First Grade
Thats my point, its a huge question mark. Will it work financially? Will fans be willing to travel that far every second week? How many will? Etc.

Yes. I guess it depends on the deal they get. But also, if they play at Suncorp why would the Gov't kick in for another stadium?
That is a big part of me thinking the Ipswich name would be an error. Why lock in to an area that is away from the ground & will potentially have many that would never support them just on the suburb being unfashionable?

applesauce

Bench
Yes. I guess it depends on the deal they get. But also, if they play at Suncorp why would the Gov't kick in for another stadium?
That is a big part of me thinking the Ipswich name would be an error. Why lock in to an area that is away from the ground & will potentially have many that would never support them just on the suburb being unfashionable?

Because Ipswich, Logan and especially Springfield are cities in their own right.

But I see where you are coming from... Brisbane has schools, hospitals, public transport and parks why do Ipswich, Logan or Springfield need any?

Springfield is a massive part of this bid IMO. If they propose to be based at Springfield (which they have so far) there is huge development through trains, private enterprise and commercial business. Mr Sinnathamby has a lot of pull with developers and the state government and would get a stadium if he wanted one. It is still the fastest growing area in QLD and before the GFC the 2nd fastest in the world behind Phoenix, Arizona.

I also suggest you investigate the state governments plans for "satellite cities" adding further to the density and size of all 3 areas , which IMO need to be incorporated into the bid (along with West or South Brisbane) for it to ge the green light.

I am not saying this bid is a must to enter the NRL but if they do they will have no trouble getting funding for a stadium of thier own.

bobmar28

Bench
Geez are you being deliberately thick or just stupid?

Blue Tongue is smack bang in the middle of Bears Territory and a fantastic stadium for the proposed bid. Sure from the outer point of Bears Territory is about an hour to the Stadium. The majority of the Bears demographic would be within 30 mins of the stadium and thats a fact.

Anyway, Isnt Toowoomba meant to be in Ipswich Jets Territory? According to google it takes 1hours and 44minutes to get from Toowoomba to Suncorp...Is this point even more concerning?

The REAL concern is Ipswich fans will NOT have a stadium in their Territory at all to play out of for about 5 years.

It will take less than 5 years to build a stadium.

bobmar28

Bench
You gotta have a strong supporter base in your own area before you start branching out and having large numbers of supporters in other areas outside of your lines.

google? really? lol

Great response.

Like all those Bulldogs fans in Canterbury?

bobmar28

Bench
Don't put words in my mouth arsehole.

What i am saying by that is any club can not rely on support from outside of their own area if their own area is does not have a strong supporter base. And that is why the Broncos, Dragons and Bulldogs are so damn successful in this area.

Ok, how many Bulldogs fans actually live in Canterbury?

bobmar28

Bench
Yes thats the post Talons. Its concerning that a portion of Bears supporters have to travel from Milson's Point to Bluetongue, but you dont think theres a problem with Jets supporters having to travel even further from Toowoomba to Suncorp?

Milsons point to Gosford = 70k. Ipswich to Brisbane CBD = 40k. Forget Toowoomba, most fans will be from Brisbane. When a stadium is built Toowoomba fans will be on board.
Anyway if Ipswich get a franchise then Toowoomba people will have more oportunity to follow a team than they have now.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Like all those Bulldogs fans in Canterbury?

Ok, how many Bulldogs fans actually live in Canterbury?

Yes, the majority of the residents in between Bankstown and Canterbury are Bulldogs fans which creates a strong base for the club.

Milsons point to Gosford = 70k. Ipswich to Brisbane CBD = 40k. Forget Toowoomba, most fans will be from Brisbane. When a stadium is built Toowoomba fans will be on board.
Anyway if Ipswich get a franchise then Toowoomba people will have more oportunity to follow a team than they have now.

oh yeah, just forget an area that the proposed team wants to represent. :roll:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Reds are going to represent an area a 1/3rd the size of Europe, what's the problem? Already fans in Kalgoorlie, Port Headland and Bunbury are getting excited by having a team to call their own. you only need 20k people near the satdium to go week in week out, you then need another 100k+ from anyone in the world to buy non ticketed memberships, merchandise and watch on TV. I think the stadium part of the Ipswich bid is the least of their obstacles.

roarr

Juniors
I agree with the stadium concerns. They need their own rectangular stadium out in the southwest somewhere... and then move the derbies to suncorp.
People in toowoomba (and further) arent going to go to suncorp to watch them play the sharks or the raiders on saturday night at 7.30...

Who knows, the a-league are pretty sh*t at expansion, maybe if they jump on board the south-west brisbane line it might gain a bit of momentum.

All im saying is that they shouldnt rush this expansion deal, give them 3-4 years (2015 maybe) to get everything in place and announce it nice and early so all the people out that way have a bit of certainty.

andrew057

First Grade
Milsons point to Gosford = 70k. Ipswich to Brisbane CBD = 40k. Forget Toowoomba, most fans will be from Brisbane.

Bob what are you failing to grasp here? I can say the exact same thing, forget Milsons point, most fans will be from Gosford and its close surrounds.

andrew057

First Grade
I agree with the stadium concerns. They need their own rectangular stadium out in the southwest somewhere... and then move the derbies to suncorp.
People in toowoomba (and further) arent going to go to suncorp to watch them play the sharks or the raiders on saturday night at 7.30...

Who knows, the a-league are pretty sh*t at expansion, maybe if they jump on board the south-west brisbane line it might gain a bit of momentum.

All im saying is that they shouldnt rush this expansion deal, give them 3-4 years (2015 maybe) to get everything in place and announce it nice and early so all the people out that way have a bit of certainty.

Spot on Roarr.

CC and Reds in 2013.

Ipswich/Logan/Toowoomba and a second NZ team in 2015/16.

BDGS

Bench

Spot on Roarr.

CC and Reds in 2013.

Ipswich/Logan/Toowoomba and a second NZ team in 2015/16.

Couldn't agree more. Anything else is just not logical. Take in all the facts and you will see. The NRL needs expansion in 2013 to get extra TV $$$'s on the next deal with the extra match. CQ NRL Bid (which i do support) have stated they won't be ready until at least 2014 and Ipswich are aiming for 2015. We aren't going to sit around twiddling our thumbs waiting for expansion bids to get up to scratch, especially when two bids are will be ready for 2013. Then looking at those two bids on their own and together will give more then any other bids can/could to the League.

franklin2323

Immortal
Couldn't agree more. Anything else is just not logical. Take in all the facts and you will see. The NRL needs expansion in 2013 to get extra TV $$$'s on the next deal with the extra match. CQ NRL Bid (which i do support) have stated they won't be ready until at least 2014 and Ipswich are aiming for 2015. We aren't going to sit around twiddling our thumbs waiting for expansion bids to get up to scratch, especially when two bids are will be ready for 2013. Then looking at those two bids on their own and together will give more then any other bids can/could to the League.
Exactly. There's no reason the 2 QLD teams can't come in before the tv deal ends. 2015 is plenty of time the dot the i's & cross the t's

adamkungl

Immortal
We could theoretically have up to a 24 team comp at some stage in the future, considering all the hopefuls:
current 16 + CC, WA, SEQLD, CQLD, Wellington, PNG. I'm also gonna throw Adelaide and Christchurch in there as potentials, even though there are no current workings to get teams in those places, they are definitely markets we should consider for the 2020s. :edit: just read that NT are looking to enter the NSW Cup. Even Darwin is a possibility! All depends on the continued growth of Rugby League I guess. Realistically for this to ever happen the player pool needs to expand. PNG, WA, and Vic need to be regularly producing NRL quality players.

I can dream...

Last edited:

Latest posts