What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Beowulf

Juniors
Not surprised. I wonder what other baseless info you've been dishing up.

What a cheerful fellow! OK my source is involved with the Bears bid and I trust him 100% as he's adamant the article appeared in the SMH and Daily Telegraph. I'm guessing it would be between Aug1999 and end of 2000. Sorry, don't know how to find a link to it.

any comment on the Ipswich bid or are we going to get pages of English lessons?

Unfortunately that's the main problem. Ipswich Jets have limited information regarding their bid progression. Matter of fact, it's almost been a full year since they first launched their ambitions for an NRL license yet there still isn't any concrete stability. Still unsure of the areas they want to represent. Still haven't approached sponsors. Still haven't set a plan for community engagement except the free online memberships..

For the most part this thread is 5% news, 20% assumption and 75% nonsense. Admittedly Central QLDs bid is also very quiet at the moment but atleast they have their model, sponsors, events and finances outlined. Whilst the WAReds and CCBears are consistently and constantly pumping out new news regarding their bid and keep fans and members up to date of their bid status and progression.

Yes now people will say ..." but but Ipswich are still sorting their bid out". Well truth is so is everyone else however that hasn't stopped the other bids from updating their progress therefore eliminating assumptions and replacing that with facts. The arguement of NSW has too many teams is played out and considering he amount of time the WAReds and CCBears have been mentioned in expansion talks, especially by Gallop through out last year is a clear indicator that he and the NRL don't believe that and believe that if a bid ticks all the boxes then there is no reason not to accept them or look at them indepth regardless of which area they intend to represent.

The arguements for TV Rights have new dragged through 4 threads so I don't know why it's still brought up. As has the merit of each bid ad the value each brings to the game. Quite clearly some are opposed to the CCBears for the NSW reason. Others are opposed to them for no real reason, while most and majority are behind them.

As for Ipswich, their own lack of progress and update pre flood wasn't good enough. There doesn't seem to be someone within their bid team in constant chat with media outlets abou how they are going. Hence so much speculation from within this forum site. Which brings me to another point, I haven't seen/heard anything regarding the bid anywhere except this forum site. Most other RLeague sites don't have posters who give a hoot about the Jets bid, whilst most of the public are simply unaware of their bid existence or just don't support the need for their bid.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
I don't know why those supporting the Ipswich bid just cannot admit that the CC bid is a superior one.

It's not opinion it's factual, all the info is there to see.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I don't know why those supporting the Ipswich bid just cannot admit that the CC bid is a superior one.

It's not opinion it's factual, all the info is there to see.

The CC bid is superior - no doubt.

However just because the bid is superior doesnt mean they will get the nod.

TV Money will be the deciding factor.

bobmar28

Bench
Christchurch aren't even bidding.

North Sydney plus Central Coast TV market would be about the same size as the possible Ipswich market. imo.

The people of North Sydney are more likely to follow Union/AFL. Anyway I hope the IC will ask the TV networks what they want before making a decision.

bobmar28

Bench
Plus the Bears were the 2nd most watched team in the 1990's on FTA TV, with broad interest in NSW, QLD & NZ. For many following the NSWRL comp, the Bears were a second team because:
a - they generally weren't a threat in the 70's and 80's!
b - they hated Manly and everyone supported anyone that hated Manly
c - strong Kiwi following through Fred Ah Koi, Olsen Filipana, Mark Graham and Darryl Halligan
d - strong QLD following through any number of QLD greats of the 80's and 90's.
e - reputation as a traditional, honourable community club

Despite that, I wouldn't say the Bears would have more TV pull than a second Brisbane side would have, but I think slightly more than an Ipswich Jets side would.

You must be joking.

BDGS

Bench
Im on the Jets and Reds bandwagon..

I didn't know the jets bid was far enough along to have already built a bandwagon :p

The people of North Sydney are more likely to follow Union/AFL. Anyway I hope the IC will ask the TV networks what they want before making a decision.

really? did you ask them?

Where is your comparisons from the 90s and 80s where the people of the North Shore had the ability to go and see all three sports?

and this is a Central Coast Bid, most of the supporters will be from the Central Coast with added extra fans from North Sydney.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Where is your comparisons from the 90s and 80s where the people of the North Shore had the ability to go and see all three sports?

Its on the same link as the one that said the Bears were the second most watched team of the 90's...

You know how hard it is to find these old links...;-)

Beowulf

Juniors

No doubt Union/AFL is in north sydney. Unfortunately for you the team is on the Central Coast. The primary TV market for the Bears will be Central Coast, upper north shore/Hills District/Berowra. A secondary market exists with everyone with a soft spot for the Bears - this includes NSW, but also QLD and NZ. For national sponsors, thats what they want! Not just interest from a 15km radius around Ipswich.

Beowulf

Juniors
Its on the same link as the one that said the Bears were the second most watched team of the 90's...

You know how hard it is to find these old links...;-)

Don't have to - apparently the NRL have the TV ratings from the 90's according to my source, so all is good in Bear land.

Doug2234

First Grade
the 90's.. we all know that the ratings was high because of Tina Turner... why are bears fans trying to piggy back on the back of "Simply The Best"

dgsfan

Juniors
Of course the NRL have the ratings. They would have the ratings for every game played that's been recorded in TV ratings. My source says they were not the second most watched team in the 90s. In fact my source says they weren't even in the top 5! Can't find the link to it, though.

BDGS

Bench
Of course the NRL have the ratings. They would have the ratings for every game played that's been recorded in TV ratings. My source says they were not the second most watched team in the 90s. In fact my source says they weren't even in the top 5! Can't find the link to it, though.

Who is your source? Ray Hadley?

hahaha