What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What constructive thoughts would you like our board and CEO to hear ?

Gronk

Staff member
Recently MITS touched on the opportunity for the club to move to the old David Jones sight in Parramatta. Still close to the Stadium but within reach of Joe Public in the CBD.

Recently Meriton have purchase the site and are seeking public opinion about potential uses. There is talk of a 500 unit development and to turn the river front into the Venice of the West.

Joint ventures between Licensed Clubs and developers are not uncommon and they offer the opportunity to bank some cash/pay off debts and to occupy new premises designed for 2010+ rather than the antiquated rabbit warren that is like our club.

I have clients who are buying into the Marrickville RSL development (now known as Revolution). The Rissole will occupy the ground floor along with retail and there will be a hundred or so apartments above. It's seen as a win/win for the RSL and the run down unsightly area down by Marrickville station.

If I was the club I would be getting my people to speak to Harry's (Triguboff) people ASAP. I'm sure that a site inside Parramatta Park would appeal to him (subject to a raft of protests no doubt). A project worth while pursing IMHO.

born an eel

Bench
Meriton would not be my first choice of developers to get involved with.

Paynter Dixon have a good record with developments in the club industry (Bankstown sports, Mounties just two examples), they would be the people I would be talking to and see what they suggest could be done.

bartman

Immortal
And Meriton don't have a seat at the Parra Board - if the club goes that way, certain other developers may be a bit peeved they don't get a slice of any action?

Gronk

Staff member
Meriton would not be my first choice of developers to get involved with.

Paynter Dixon have a good record with developments in the club industry (Bankstown sports, Mounties just two examples), they would be the people I would be talking to and see what they suggest could be done.

Yes I have many many years of experience in acting for clients in Meriton Developments. Their reputation for build quality is not great and defect rectification worse. I can see however an attempt to put that behind themselves and I would say that they have lifted their game in the past 5 years. Time will tell on that however.

The thing is that they have the prime site for us and they would be looking for opportunities in retail or entertainment for the street level floors. Again, worth while pursuing.

Gronk

Staff member
And Meriton don't have a seat at the Parra Board - if the club goes that way, certain other developers may be a bit peeved they don't get a slice of any action?

Dildam don't have the Riverside site. Meriton do.

TheRam

Coach
Dildam don't have the Riverside site. Meriton do.

I think if we could buy that space and not be just a lease holder and it was a very large space, much larger then what we have now, then it would be a sensational idea.

Gronk

Staff member
I think if we could buy that space and not be just a lease holder and it was a very large space, much larger then what we have now, then it would be a sensational idea.

Yes you would be a freehold owner. These days airspace is subdividable, so essentially you could own a ground floor in a development with a residential strata plan above.

More commonly, you have a mixed strata development with residential, retail and commercial elements. This is what they are doing with M'Ville RSL.

Uncle Leo

Juniors
Chidiac is no longer on the board, is he?

Not sure what Barts point is other than another shot at the board.

Resigned as a director from the board to gain employment with the Leagues club in the newly created position, of Facilities Manager.
Building development contracts etc. would be in his portfolio. Apparently, Chidiac is also married into the "Dyldam" family:sarcasm:

Jodeci

Bench
Resigned as a director from the board to gain employment with the Leagues club in the newly created position, of Facilities Manager.
Building development contracts etc. would be in his portfolio. Apparently, Chidiac is also married into the "Dyldam" family:sarcasm:

What has this got to do with anything that has been mentioned in this thread?

bartman

Immortal
It came up due to discussion about whether the Club would go into partnership with a rival developer (re Church St ex-David Jones site), if there were developer company employees sitting on the board.

Anyway, where was the job advertised? it smells of jobs for the boys... and imo it's in the public interest that behind the scenes moves like this are open to scrutiny and questioning.

fish eel

Immortal
How is it even relevant given
1. Chidiac is not on the board and
2. Dyldam do not own the site in question therefore have no interest.

bartman

Immortal
Read the above post.

If this doesn't answer your question, read the above post again... it's simply an element of discussion. It stopped being relevant on the last page when discussion moved on, funny how some people keep bringing something up that they didn't think was relevant?

fish eel

Immortal
Read the above post.

If this doesn't answer your question, read the above post again... it's simply an element of discussion.

Yeah, no, it doesnt

Chidiac isnt on the board.

He no longer works for Dyldam.

If he did, so what?

Dyldam dont own the site in question. Meriton do.

Your point, how can the club go into a deal with a rival developer is really a non point, because in relation to this site, Dyldam are NOT a rival developer. They dont own it.

It stopped being relevant on the last page when discussion moved on, funny how some people keep bringing something up that they didn't think was relevant?

What do you mean? I'm responding to a post as I came across it and thought it deserved responding to. I thought, and still believe it was a spurious point made given my points above. The discussion hadnt moved on much at all when I responded to yours and Gronks post in regards to the (wrong) point you made about Dyldam being on the board.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, no, it doesnt

Chidiac isnt on the board.

He no longer works for Dyldam.

If he did, so what?

Dyldam dont own the site in question. Meriton do.

Your point, how can the club go into a deal with a rival developer is really a non point, because in relation to this site, Dyldam are NOT a rival developer. They dont own it.
Gee, it's a few days ago, but without simply re-reading the posts on the previous page, I think it went like this...

Hmm, Meriton own the DJs site.

I wonder how any reps of other developers on teh board would feel about the club dealing with Meriton (ie giving a rival developer a leg up).

Chidiac is no longer with Dyldam, and was appointed to a job in the club so has left the board.

Oh, didn't see that job ad or announcement....

I think it was fair to wonder/discuss if there would be some tricky dynamics at play, given the competition between developer companies, and given some developer/sponsor/board relationships at our club.

Fine if you don't happen to think it was relevant though. ;-)

What do you mean? I'm responding to a post as I came across it and thought it deserved responding to. I thought, and still believe it was a spurious point made given my points above. The discussion hadnt moved on much at all when I responded to yours and Gronks post in regards to the (wrong) point you made about Dyldam being on the board.
I mean, I think all of this was discussed on the previous page already? And by the answer to Jodcei's previous post, which asked the same question that you then did.

Fine if you don't think the same though ;-) - that's why this place is a discussion forum.

fish eel

Immortal
Gee, it's a few days ago, but without simply re-reading the posts on the previous page, I think it went like this...

Hmm, Meriton own the DJs site.

I wonder how any reps of other developers on teh board would feel about the club dealing with Meriton (ie giving a rival developer a leg up).

Chidiac is no longer with Dyldam, and was appointed to a job in the club so has left the board.

Oh, didn't see that job ad or announcement....

I think it was fair to wonder/discuss if there would be some tricky dynamics at play, given the competition between developer companies, and given some developer/sponsor/board relationships at our club.

Fine if you don't happen to think it was relevant though. ;-)

I mean, I think all of this was discussed on the previous page already? And by the answer to Jodcei's previous post, which asked the same question that you then did.

Fine if you don't think the same though ;-) - that's why this place is a discussion forum.

all the same page with my settings ;-)

Tony Bongo

Bench
I heard another very simple suggestion mentioned to help people get away on game day. There is a second gate that is contolled by the Rotary club, I am led to believe, that when opened makes the exodus much quicker. Does anyone here know any more about this? It sounds like it couldn't be too hard to organise on a regular basis.

I heard another very simple suggestion mentioned to help people get away on game day. There is a second gate that is contolled by the Rotary club, I am led to believe, that when opened makes the exodus much quicker. Does anyone here know any more about this? It sounds like it couldn't be too hard to organise on a regular basis.

What Gate are you talking about? At Parramatta Stadium? the Surrounding area's.

Tony Bongo

Bench
What Gate are you talking about? At Parramatta Stadium? the Surrounding area's.

Someone mentioned a gate at the back of the parking area and said it was opened once this year and the traffic flowed much quicker. I don't know exactly what gate they are talking about as I never use the car park but the rotary club can apparently get it opened.

Latest posts