What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if Jarryd Hayne doesn't make the 49ers cut? Will he return to the NRL?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Just think of the amount of money Hayne fumbled away. If he didn't fumble he's NFL career away he'd be a mega star right now. All he had to do was get through that first season mistake free. Probably fumbled away millions and millions.

Gee, is that all? I mean he only had to go his whole first year in a new sport, a tough, brutal one at that, and be mistake free and all would be well? Cmon Jarryd. Weren't you thinking of the Benjamins?

I don't think Jarryd Hayne predominantly cares about money, like I don't think Sonny Bill Williams does either. Yes they want it and they're not about to play for peanuts, but I don't think they're in a Scrooge McDuck-style vault doing freestyle in a pool of notes. He's 28 (?) now, there's an Olympics, Fiji contacted him. He probably sees it as an opportunity he'll never get again. Now I don't like this new breed of sporting superstars who see their adaptable ability as the perfect opportunity to code-hop and hold up achievements in different sports. In fact I despise it and I hope it doesn't catch on. But that's obviously where they're at.

Nor do I give a shit about the 'poor' Fijian bloke who misses out on the Olympics. Welcome to professional sport. Fiji contacted Hayne, that's really the end of the story for me. If Hayne makes that team better, there's a squad of other guys who won't be so poor when they have medals around their neck. And if the other 'poor' dude works out to be a better Sevens player, it won't matter anyway.

Usain Bolt

Bench
his*

I have seen you mess it up a few times so being the noble man that I am, I will pass on to you some simple grammar advice.

He's is a contraction, it's an abbreviated word, short for he is, now here's an example: "he's going to the bank", he is going to the bank.

His is a belonging word, it's used when describing something that belongs to an individual, usually a male, now here's an example: "that is his lunch", that lunch belongs to him.

Hope this was of some help :)

That's it, he'll tell us how much he earns a year now

Glen

Bench
Nor do I give a shit about the 'poor' Fijian bloke who misses out on the Olympics. Welcome to professional sport. Fiji contacted Hayne, that's really the end of the story for me. If Hayne makes that team better, there's a squad of other guys who won't be so poor when they have medals around their neck. And if the other 'poor' dude works out to be a better Sevens player, it won't matter anyway.

:lol: thank you. I love how so many people all of a sudden have sympathy for some yet to be confirmed, fringe Fijian 7s player, whose lifelong dream has been to represent his country at the Olympics in a sport that has only just been added to the schedule. Miserable sports fans channel their anger in strange ways

mikeob

Juniors
1463616382279.jpg
Looks like he is joining the Warriors.;-)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
:lol: thank you. I love how so many people all of a sudden have sympathy for some yet to be confirmed, fringe Fijian 7s player, whose lifelong dream has been to represent his country at the Olympics in a sport that has only just been added to the schedule. Miserable sports fans channel their anger in strange ways

We're funny people aren't we.

What'll happen is if Hayne does make it, the media will then go on a witch hunt for this person that has been so 'unfairly' kept out of Rio. They'll do puff pieces, go to this guy's home on the outskirts of Suva and contrast the living conditions to the amount of money Hayne has made over his career. Like it matters a f**k.

--Storm--

Juniors
Pretty much if Hayne makes it, they better get gold or silver or he'll get made the scapegoat and it'll be a media sensation.

Danish

Referee

What'll happen is if Hayne does make it, the media will then go on a witch hunt for this person that has been so 'unfairly' kept out of Rio. They'll do puff pieces, go to this guy's home on the outskirts of Suva and contrast the living conditions to the amount of money Hayne has made over his career. Like it matters a f**k.

They won't be able to get a quote from him though, as undoubtedly all he'll be doing is singing Hayne's praises.

What the bloke feels though is inconsequential. White people from another country are outraged enough for him :lol:

Reminds me of Ian Thorpe. Everyone bleated about it when old mate stepped down for him, then Thorpe won gold and everyone was asking "Craig who?" and couldn't give a f**k.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Q: Isn't it true that Hayne left because he was about to be cut?

Hayne: No.
Chip Kelly: No

Everyone: Yep. He was about to be cut.
I'm OK with that theory, but how about explaining walking away from the 'dream'. He may not have been told he would be cut (or perhaps he was), maybe his hopes of game time were close to nothing.

There has to be some serious motivation to leave that scenario for him. I'm wondering how his speed is. I can only imagine he has put on a lot of bulk since leaving. No doubt his strength will be better than it ever was. The rest of his game I can't imagine has improved. If an Olympic gold medal was a goal, he could have made sure he achieved that instead of going to the NFL. It was announced back in 2009 or something.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
His dream was to play NFL. He did, next Fiji 7s Gold.

I actually hope he tries soccer next, he played NFL as game and loves FIFA as a game. Why not, have a crack.

RoosTah

Juniors
I'm OK with that theory, but how about explaining walking away from the 'dream'. He may not have been told he would be cut (or perhaps he was), maybe his hopes of game time were close to nothing.

There has to be some serious motivation to leave that scenario for him. I'm wondering how his speed is. I can only imagine he has put on a lot of bulk since leaving. No doubt his strength will be better than it ever was. The rest of his game I can't imagine has improved. If an Olympic gold medal was a goal, he could have made sure he achieved that instead of going to the NFL. It was announced back in 2009 or something.

I just don't buy this "Olympic Gold" crap at all... seriously, do footballers of any code really "dream" about winning Olympic gold? No. For any football code the holy grail is either your code's world cup, or if it's not a big international sport, then it's winning it's biggest club competition.

If he had ambitions for Rugby, then it should have been to play in a world cup, but he should have played at least one more year in the NFL and then gone to play Super Rugby or something so he had enough time to make a case for the 2019 RWC in Japan.

Incorrect

Coach
I just don't buy this "Olympic Gold" crap at all... seriously, do footballers of any code really "dream" about winning Olympic gold? No. For any football code the holy grail is either your code's world cup, or if it's not a big international sport, then it's winning it's biggest club competition.

If he had ambitions for Rugby, then it should have been to play in a world cup, but he should have played at least one more year in the NFL and then gone to play Super Rugby or something so he had enough time to make a case for the 2019 RWC in Japan.

Maybe the real dream is to get as much poon-tang as possible in the athlete's village as possible, Usain Bolt style...

RoosTah

Juniors
Maybe the real dream is to get as much poon-tang as possible in the athlete's village as possible, Usain Bolt style...

Have you seen NFL Cheerleaders? If it was pootang he wanted, then the Olympic village is a veritable sloppy seconds compared with the NFL smorgasbord.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have you seen NFL Cheerleaders? If it was pootang he wanted, then the Olympic village is a veritable sloppy seconds compared with the NFL smorgasbord.

Have you seen the bodies and salaries of NFL players? Jarryd was well down the cheerleader appeal line!

RoosTah

Juniors
Yeah... look I'm not doubting there are going to be some attractive female athletes at the Olympics, but let's be honest here - being hot isn't in their job description unlike say these girls:
thumb.aspx

Last Week

Bench
Maybe he hot bored of the NFL? It's possible you know. We all know he loves League and Parra, so maybe he got bored of it and thought 'bugger it, I might be able to go to the Olympics before going back to League'. Just a thought.

The guy has always been about individual accomplishments. This is just yet another one.

Have your own opinions and make your own assumptions. I'll listen to the guy and go off what he says. Or you can be like Phil Rothfield and just say something despite doing any fact checking, like listening to everyone involved.

strong_latte

Juniors
Maybe he hot bored of the NFL? It's possible you know. We all know he loves League and Parra, so maybe he got bored of it and thought 'bugger it, I might be able to go to the Olympics before going back to League'. Just a thought.

The guy has always been about individual accomplishments. This is just yet another one.

Have your own opinions and make your own assumptions. I'll listen to the guy and go off what he says. Or you can be like Phil Rothfield and just say something despite doing any fact checking, like listening to everyone involved.

I've wondered if it was just boredom too, but to be honest if it was his dream to play for the NFL, it doesn't say much for his depth as an individual if he can tire of a dream after a year in the NFL which was ultimately successful only in the way that Sam Burgess's stint for England in the RWC - namely that he got to play at that level.

As a sports fan it reminds me a lot of the Burgess thing really. Had some ambition to be on a big stage with more fan fair and he got there, but happened to be in a shit team and didn't have as much fun as he thought he would so he just decided "f**k it, this dream sucks."

Just really makes you wonder how well either of them thought it all through before hand.