What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if Jarryd Hayne doesn't make the 49ers cut? Will he return to the NRL?

Danish

Referee
Its how the nfl punishes cap cheats. Why wouldnt it be legal.

And of course you can. You just cant re sign all the good players coming off contact and you have to replace them with minimum wage players. Say norman is on 500k then you are almost there

Well for a start you can very reasonably run an NFL team while 20, 30, or even 50% under the salary cap. So it's not really compatible at all to NRL.

A team having to run $1 million under the cap might as well not even bother playing games, as all they'll be doing is risking injury to players while getting lapped each week. If you forced a club to operate that far under tha cap for more than a couple years, I'd say half the clubs would go to the wall because of it with the hit to memberships, ticket sales, and everything else that would happen by collecting 3 consecutive spoons. Souths only survived such a run by selling out to Crowe, and most clubs don't have a multimillionaire willing to do that.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Well for a start you can very reasonably run an NFL team while 20, 30, or even 50% under the salary cap. So it's not really compatible at all to NRL.

A team having to run $1 million under the cap might as well not even bother playing games, as all they'll be doing is risking injury to players while getting lapped each week. If you forced a club to operate that far under tha cap for more than a couple years, I'd say half the clubs would go to the wall because of it with the hit to memberships, ticket sales, and everything else that would happen by collecting 3 consecutive spoons. Souths only survived such a run by selling out to Crowe, and most clubs don't have a multimillionaire willing to do that.

I said one year not a couple of years and its a couple of good players replaced by minimum wage guys. A reduced cap as a punishment for cap cheating is just common sense. They should lose the players they illegally gained.

Dont be so melodramatic. Newcastle are probably a million dollars below what the broncos spend on salary.

Binga

Juniors
The eels should be operating on a reduced salary cap for a year. That should be the default punishment for teams caught cheating the cap. It should be

All points gained while cheating the cap are lost
Salary cap reduced by 1 million dollars the year after being caught

This would ensure clubs cant just cheat the cap to build a side and get rid of unwanted players to get under. Hopefully it wont destroy the club forever but it means that they might not be able to keep thr team they built by cheating.

And that's exactly what has happened to us this year. After signing Jennings we were 200,000 under the cap. The NRL has added 750,000 to our cap for this year for deals from the past 3 years which they say we're illegal meaning we were 570,000 over the cap for this year. Since they deemed we were over the cap, we couldnt accumulate any points until we shredded that extra 570,000

Danish

Referee
I said one year not a couple of years and its a couple of good players replaced by minimum wage guys. A reduced cap as a punishment for cap cheating is just common sense. They should lose the players they illegally gained.

Dont be so melodramatic. Newcastle are probably a million dollars below what the broncos spend on salary.

And the Knights are on track to be one of the worst clubs in the last 40 years the way their season is going.

I'd be happy to bring in such a penalty only if the salary cap were raised to such a level that all clubs weren't spending right to the hilt every year

Delboy

First Grade
The Broncos according to, I think Ikin ,spend $ 2.7 million in TPAs , one club only has $300 k , sure it's a level playing field and fair, just look at the rosters!!! Knights for instance, Greenberg statements a joke

SBD82

Coach
When Melbourne got done for systematically cheating the cap I wanted them kicked out of the comp. my personal hatred of their team was a part of this heavy reaction. Now I'm glad they're in the comp. I'm glad they have to list an asterisk next to the tainted premierships. I hate them but I think it's good for the game that I get to hate them and that they still exist.

Parra I have a soft spot for. But they have hardly been punished to the full extent that I think would be fair. (I understand how subjective 'fair' is). I feel for their supporters. It must be shit for you guys. I know that my feelings about Melbourne were influenced by my hatred for them because I felt no such goodwill to their supporters.

But come on guys. Your club has been wracked by infighting forever. And now they have systematically rorted the cap. And been caught. How do you think this should play out? I don't want to see you kicked out. But the punishment should be a deterrent to all other clubs. And other clubs get caught, mete out a similar punishment to them too.

If you want to blame someone, blame the self interested board and staff that seem to permeate your club. The nrl has gone pretty soft on you. Softer than I would have.

Delboy

First Grade
When Melbourne got done for systematically cheating the cap I wanted them kicked out of the comp. my personal hatred of their team was a part of this heavy reaction. Now I'm glad they're in the comp. I'm glad they have to list an asterisk next to the tainted premierships. I hate them but I think it's good for the game that I get to hate them and that they still exist.

Parra I have a soft spot for. But they have hardly been punished to the full extent that I think would be fair. (I understand how subjective 'fair' is). I feel for their supporters. It must be shit for you guys. I know that my feelings about Melbourne were influenced by my hatred for them because I felt no such goodwill to their supporters.

But come on guys. Your club has been wracked by infighting forever. And now they have systematically rorted the cap. And been caught. How do you think this should play out? I don't want to see you kicked out. But the punishment should be a deterrent to all other clubs. And other clubs get caught, mete out a similar punishment to them too.

If you want to blame someone, blame the self interested board and staff that seem to permeate your club. The nrl has gone pretty soft on you. Softer than I would have.

We understand what you are saying, however it seems that having a whistleblower is the perquisite for getting caught and punished. There is no way that every other club has not organised TPAs and guaranteed payment to managers , we are extraordinarily pissed off at the vindictive pricks that are happy to sh*t on the club to prove hat point they think they have

When the other clubs rorted th cap, they did not have to shed players and in fact strengthened their rosters , but that was then

Personally , I don't trust Greenberg in this role, too convenient for my liking, given his dealings internally at the Dogs

We will come through this, but your sense of punishment far exceeds the crime,particularly as the club was under the cap in 2016 and was basically punished for having an idiot in control previously and then to compound it , not coming forward when they became aware of th scale of the problem.

SBD82

Coach
We understand what you are saying, however it seems that having a whistleblower is the perquisite for getting caught and punished. There is no way that every other club has not organised TPAs and guaranteed payment to managers , we are extraordinarily pissed off at the vindictive pricks that are happy to sh*t on the club to prove hat point they think they have

When the other clubs rorted th cap, they did not have to shed players and in fact strengthened their rosters , but that was then

Personally , I don't trust Greenberg in this role, too convenient for my liking, given his dealings internally at the Dogs

We will come through this, but your sense of punishment far exceeds the crime,particularly as the club was under the cap in 2016 and was basically punished for having an idiot in control previously and then to compound it , not coming forward when they became aware of th scale of the problem.

In terms of shedding players, I'm not sure you can compare the shedding if GI to losing peats. But I see your point re: the dogs.

My ideas of your punishment is probably influenced by the situation from 09. Your dream run to the GF and the style of footy you were playing was so good to watch. Then to be beaten by a team that turned out to be cheating the cap was such a shit go. Really seemed a shit thing to happen to a club that had been looking for a premiership for so long.

For your management to see the injustice of that and then to cheat themselves makes them the lowest kind of scumbags in my eyes. I don't want to punish supporters. But your administrators can eat a fat dick. And I don't know how you punish administrators without punishing the whole club. From an administrative point of view they are the club.

Rhyno

First Grade
Why is that, for next year so far We have lost Watmough (750,000) Peats (450,000) Junior Paulo (200,000), if sign Hayne we wouldn't resign Gordon (250,000) salary cap increases by 200,000 next year as well

Pauli would of been on around 200K aswell

dasherhalo

Juniors

When the other clubs rorted th cap, they did not have to shed :):sarcasm:players and in fact strengthened their rosters , but that was then

A: Inglis
B: The Eels are the first club in recent times I've felt sorry for over demonstrably cheating the cap.

But d*ckhead fans like yourself wanting to blame everyone else for "not being caught" literally make me want to spit it. On spec, if the Eels won it somehow this year, it'd seem like a miracle. However, with the denial of the fans to accept the club f*cked up, I'd be hugely p*ssed off. If the rumor of players paid in cash is true (and it seems well reported), then y'all can shut the f*ck up.

coolsteve

Juniors
if your over the cap by $3mil for 2 years,you lose $3mil of your cap the next 2 years, is that too hard? ITS CALLED CHEATING

Parra

Referee
$3 million myst be right. It was in the Daily Telegraph.

The PJ Prmonotions stuff was bad. The rest of the transcript points to other didgy deals. The deals should be easy to find given those pointers. On their own the trsnscripts are just very good leads. The PJ promotions stuff aside - this is straightforward, however it is nowhere near 3m.

Pommy

Coach
Just incase it has been missed but Hayne wasn't selected for the Fiji London 7s squad. What that means to his plans I'm not sure.

I did track back a bit through the thread but it was all about Eels rather than Hayne.

Parra

Referee
Just incase it has been missed but Hayne wasn't selected for the Fiji London 7s squad. What that means to his plans I'm not sure.

I did track back a bit through the thread but it was all about Eels rather than Hayne.

Not in the Wednesday preliminary list, but could still be named on Friday.

What is the point of the Wednesday list? This could be asked of most sports when we find out if the team is 'as per programme'.

Last Week

Bench
Q: Isn't it true that Hayne left because he was about to be cut?

Hayne: No.
Chip Kelly: No

Everyone: Yep. He was about to be cut.

Kilkenny

Coach
I am not a fan of the pompous ass that is Peter Fitzsimons but his article about Jarrod Hayne in the SMH today is pretty spot on in my opinion.