What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

T.S Quint

Coach
Exodus

A part of me died tonight.

It was like sitting on a dunny for 2 & a half hours trying to do a shit & then doing a fart

:lol: Nice analogy.

I'm really hoping it's not that bad. I've been looking forward to this one.
What the hell happened to Ridley Scott? He's gone off the boil a bit.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol: Nice analogy.

I'm really hoping it's not that bad. I've been looking forward to this one.
What the hell happened to Ridley Scott? He's gone off the boil a bit.

Look, the story is made for Hollywood, however, it drags on, some of the make up is atrocious (especially on Edgerton), the writing for Edgerton's character is pathetic and doesn't really build up his character as a man who hates Moses, but one who is saddened for him, until the scene where he randomly asks for Moses and his family to be killed. It seemed almost like whimsical folly.

"Oh my dearly beloved Moses, what has happened? Anyways, can someone kill him and his family please? Sweet"

It just dragged on and on and on and it gave you too much time to focus on the little intricacies that you'd normally miss if the story hadn't have dragged on and on and on.

You just get the impression too that the role of Moses was created for Russell Crowe, full of stale, unemotive acting (bar one scene full of contrived overacting when he tells his wife he saw God). It seems Ridley Scott has thought "hmm, biblical story, needs to be epic and long." and then proceeded to try and drag it out as long as possible for it to be called a Biblical Epic.

For me it turned out to be a wank. With a cheeses grater.

You don't why you've persisted but you figure something good will happen in the end. And then nothing.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Mel Gibson is just about the best thing in that movie.
I'm not saying he didn't play his role well, because he did, however I who wouldn't love seeing that badass on the protagonists team? I suppose one good thing it did though was allow Wesley Snipes to shine.

Bulldog Force

Referee
What?

So by your logic, Arnold Schwarzenegger (arguably most famous for playing the T-1000 in Judgement Day) should only play baddies - and yet he was Conan the f**king Barbarian and the kindergarten f**king cop...
What? In all those movies you listed he's a protagonist. Those are arguably his most famous movies, and yes then when it comes to the expendables he's a PROTAGONIST. I'm suggesting the same f**king thing for Mel Gibson FFS.

You're arguing against me even though you're suggesting what I'm suggesting :lol:

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Not to mention Robert Patrick played the T-1000 (and would make a great baddie in Expendables by the way), where Arnie was famously the T-800.

I like JCVD as Vilain the Villain in Expendables 2, classic Van Damme cheesiness (THIS IS MY SYMBOL!), and while I haven't seen Expendables 3 yet I imagine Mel did well as the baddie also.

Frankus

Juniors
Bad Johnson
Starring Cam Gigandet

Yet to watch it but just had to share this.

The synopsis is:
Rich is a sex addict who ruins every relationship through infidelity. He wishes that his penis would leave him alone. He wakes up one day to find his penis has taken on human form.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Bad Johnson
Starring Cam Gigandet

Yet to watch it but just had to share this.

The synopsis is:
Rich is a sex addict who ruins every relationship through infidelity. He wishes that his penis would leave him alone. He wakes up one day to find his penis has taken on human form.

Sounds like Tony Abbott.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Just saw These Final Hours. The Australian end of the world movie set in Perth. Good but pretty heavy and overall depressing.

Just finished watching it. All I can describe it as is an emotional onion for the viewer.

Peel one layer and another appears. Makes you wonder what you would do under the same circumstances.

7.5/10 from me. As you said, it was dense and depressing, depending on how much you wanted to be a part of the movie.

some11

Referee
The Equaliser

Typical Densel goodness ruined by one of the weakest endings to a movie ive seen in a long time

Jack Reacher did the whole one man army thing with a lot more tact, probably helps being based off a series of novels though.

As soon as the oil tanker blew up (utterly ridiculous in itself) I immediately thought the studio must have hired some rent-a-writer to turn it into a Home Alone/Saw ending, sure enough they got the same guy who was hired to write The Expendables 2 and other predictable bore fests.

To leave the girl out of it for so long and just bring her back at the end to tie it altogether is just lazy.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Finally got round to Guardians of the Galaxy. Didn't mind It :D

Not into comic books or the terrible movies they spawn (minus Iron Man 1, Kickass 1 and the Nolan & Burton Batman's) but really enjoyed it. Chris 'he's so hot right now' Pratt was genuinely funny along with Cooper.
Prob give it 7/10 Groots.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Exodus - ok without being great.

It just had something missing, I felt like they relied on story telling itself because it was so well known

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

It just had something missing, I felt like they relied on story telling itself because it was so well known

I thought it was utter dross.
Christian Bale was so f**king bland, unemotive and boring, it was like he was channelling Russell Crowe.
Joel Edgerton looked like he was given no script and had no idea how to portray his character and was making the most of what little direction he was given.
John Turturro looked like he was making an appearance because he needed some money
Ben Kingsley was horribly under utilised
Aaron Paul looked like he was supposed to have lines and speaking parts but they were taken away.

The camera's slow pull back and pan on epicly large scenes, while visually impressive, were largely unnecessary and helped to drag the film on.

Biggest pile of steaming crap I've seen in a while.

Generalzod

Immortal

It had something missing alright Yul Brynner and Charlton Heston, The Ten Commandments was a better film.

Aragorn

First Grade
The Hobbit - 5 armies.

Easily the best of the 3. Still a few cringe worthy scenes but enjoyable none the less.