What Movies Have You Seen III

Discussion in 'The Music & Movies Forum' started by Frederick, Oct 9, 2014.

1. umina panther

umina panther Coach

A Star Is Born

First 3rd was great and I was invested in the characters but the middle dragged and the ending didn't hit the mark. Worth a watch but doesn't live up to the hype.

As a fan of Alias and Cooper it was nice to see he employed every single actor from the show apart from Jenifer Gardner

2. Storm13

Storm13 Juniors

Glass ?-?

McAvoy was awesome and the movie was more of a sequel to Split than Unbreakable. Bruce and Sam really didn't have enough to make their characters more interesting or complex. Final third was a let down especially the reveal of Sarah Paulsons character and her twist. Also I can forgive the final outcome of Mr Glass and The Beast but what they did to wrap up Willis's character was stupid.

3. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

Velvet Buzzsaw - 6.5/10. Colorful but confused film which shoots itself in the foot by changing it's tune in every act, surprisingly from the guy who brought us Nightcrawler. First it's charged up satire & dark comedy on modern art, then diving into Alien-esque supernatural sci-fi, before finally landing on a flat out slasher film. It all unravels in the third act where the carefully crafted setup collapses in a heap.

Each part works well in isolation, but essentially it ends up as three 40 minute movies and none of them are done full justice. It's a shame because the performances are outstanding and disguise the mess; Gyllenhaal fans like myself will love yet another manic variation of himself, and the rest of the terrific ensemble commit to their cartoonish and entertaining bit parts (other than a wasted John Malkovich).

A swing and a miss.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  4. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

Last Man Standing 6.5/10. A lost 90s Bruce Willis flick, where instead of a silly action affair we're served a vintage noir-western where a drifting loner gets caught up between rivalling mobs in a small town. There's plenty of guns, stand-offs and larger than life characters to be had.

Willis delivers a nicely laconic performance that avoids most Willis cliches, but what works the most is the curious supporting cast packed with familiar faces: there's Bruce Dern, 'funny guy' Sully from Commando, Sebastian from Blade Runner, Dr Kelso (!), and mother f-cking Christopher Walken as the sadistic enforcer. Good way to pass an evening.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    axl rose likes this.
  5. Lemon Squash

Lemon Squash First Grade

Velvet Buzzsaw...absolute mess. It will be close to 2 hours of your life you never get back

3/10

6. Phil McGrawhan

Phil McGrawhan Coach

Velvet Buzzsaw.
    The Dave Taylor of movies .
    Promised so much ...flashes of brilliance but overall a major letdown.
    You know there is the core of a good movie in there somewhere ..but it just never reaches average ...just like Dave .
    4/10

7. Breakdowns&Blastbeats

Breakdowns&Blastbeats Juniors

The 5th Wave. Excellent sci fi movie. 9/10

8. axl rose

axl rose Bench

Aquaman- they cant create a compelling story so they just throw everything at the screen. Did they really need to make it as long as Lord of The Rings, it was a chore to get through the last hour. meh 5/10

The Kings of Summer- teen boys run away and go build a house in the woods. Funny and it has a lot of heart. 8/10

The Favourite- Awful. Not interesting, not funny 0/10

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  9. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Juniors

Green Book, it's a road trip feel good movie but I liked it, Viggo Mortenson is brilliant.

nöyd and axl rose like this.
  10. Dogs Of War

Dogs Of War First Grade

Can't believe you made it to the end. I did 20mins and thought I have better things to be spending my time on than this mess.

axl rose likes this.
  11. Rhino_NQ

Rhino_NQ Immortal

Searching

Token asian from harold and kumar has come along way, a bit different on the standard webcam type genre and a decent watch

axl rose likes this.
  12. PJ

PJ Bench

Plane flight so time to catch up on anything I've missed and/or garbage.

Overlord. Interesting premise for a horror but could have been better. Got to say I have enjoyed Wyatt Russel in everything I've seen him in. 7/10

Venom. Enjoyed it. Tom Hardy is great. Action sequences let it down imo and no compelling villain. 7/10

Crazy Rich Asians. Some laughs but parts too formulaic. Again 7/10

Predator. Why did I bother. As bad as I had heard, but since Venom was good thought I would try. Garbage in everyway, acting, script, story 2/10

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    vvvrulz and axl rose like this.
  13. Rhino_NQ

Rhino_NQ Immortal

Robin hood

Bit of a different take on the story, watchable but not spectacular

14. Wizardman

Wizardman Bench

I watched "Escape Room" on Tuesday. It aims to be a combo of "The Game" and "Saw: and misses the mark by a big margin. I didn't care about the characters and the movie looked a bit on the cheap side. 1.5 out of 5 stars for me....give it a miss.

axl rose likes this.
  15. nöyd

nöyd Moderator Staff Member

he usually is a class above

16. Wizardman

Wizardman Bench

I watched the Ritchie McCaw: Chasing Great doco tonight. Very well put together doco which follows McCaw through the last year of his career. Nothing groundbreaking but you do not need to be a mad union fan to appreciate it.
    Interesting watch. 3 out of 5

17. Rhino_NQ

Rhino_NQ Immortal

happy death day 2U

meh

18. Parra

Parra Referee

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing.

Garbage movie. Shite characters, pacing, dialogue. Pointless film,

Sans Souci Sainter likes this.
  19. axl rose

axl rose Bench

Free Solo o_O (doco) could have skipped over the annoying girlfriend parts but a great watch anyway. A+

First Man-
    what an absolute snooze.
    :sleeping:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  20. Rhino_NQ

Rhino_NQ Immortal

the lego movie 2

not as good as the first