What Movies Have You Seen III

Discussion in 'The Music & Movies Forum' started by Frederick, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Bench

Glass. Good follow up to Unbreakable and Split, not as good as Unbreakable, little better than Split. Ending was a bit unexplained but I did like it for the most part.
    7.5/10

axl rose likes this.
  2. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

Glass 5.5/10 - Ah Shyamalan, when he’s on he’s on, and it’s a crying shame when he misses.

Unbreakable and Split are both wonderful albeit dissimilar pictures; one a tight character-driven grounding of the superhero trope, another a saw-esque horror thriller with a psych twist. Bringing the two universes was a (risky) stroke of genius; sadly M. Night serves up an undercooked mess.

While a little predictable, particularly if you’ve seen the trailer, the first two acts are solid enough particularly due to another inspired performance from James McAvoy. But sadly twisting two very different tales plays more like lost actors wondering onto the wrong set, especially from the Unbreakable team who are sort of just ‘there’.

Neither of the big three are developed further, even after they’re simmering in the same pot. The plot just rumbles along until the disastrously abrupt third act unravels everything without a care. The signature twist is a bore, and ultimately you’re left entertained but empty. While Bruce Willis is criticised for sleeping in, he and Sam Jackson are both severely underplayed with little scope.

A huge missed opportunity from the ideas man who just can’t pull it together often enough.

axl rose likes this.
  3. axl rose

axl rose Bench

IO (Netflix) sci-fi snooze fest But still somehow not as bad at The Titan. 2/10

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  4. The Book of Steeden

The Book of Steeden Juniors

Well, even if I didn’t like Split too much, & I don’t like Glass (haven’t seen it yet), Unbreakable is a film I hold in the absolute highest regard - IMO, debatably the best movie of the century so far.

We’ll always have that, M.

5. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Coach

Aquaman

Special effects amazing but the actual story, meh. I feel all these Superhero movies are becoming Interchangeable

Cons: no 'fish stick' jokes
    Pros: crabpeople

axl rose likes this.
  6. The Book of Steeden

Just a tad. LOL.

They’re absolute poison to me, to be honest. Each one is staggeringly clone-like.

vvvrulz, axl rose and Vic Mackey like this.
  7. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Coach

The story was basically the same as Thor, you just know in the second one the brother is going to come good and help him

axl rose likes this.
  8. Eelementary

Eelementary Immortal

Aquaman ruled.

It was an origin story - not so much for A-man, but for Ocean Master, and Black Manta.

I loved it.

But Aquaman is my favourite hero,so I'm probably biased.

It probably wasn't as polished as an MCU film, but it was definitely one of DCEU's better efforts.

9. The Book of Steeden

I was dragged to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 & Thor: Ragnarok a few months apart & couldn’t believe how closely they followed the same format. It was almost verbatim.

-Action scene/serious monologue, undercut with joke. Rinse, repeat for two hours.-

Obviously, they know their audience, & more of the same sells - which isn’t necessarily a bad thing even for people like myself, who don’t care for these movies. The more money these safe bets rake in, the more room the studio has to breathe, & thus take chances on funding more thoughtful, less mainstream film projects.

axl rose likes this.
  10. PJ

PJ Bench

Agree with the previous posts.

I'll probably watch IW2, even though it is blindingly obvious how parts will go, but after that I'm likely done with comic book films.

11. McLovin

McLovin Immortal

No Country for Old Men - Great filum. 8/10

Cabin Fever (2016 remake).. An exact scene for scene, script for script remake...

Zoidberg and axl rose like this.
  12. Rhino_NQ

Rhino_NQ Immortal

Glass, mcavoy was awesome, not many guys could do that convincingly. Willis just having this “are we done yet?” Look on his face gave it a bland tone. Disappointing final showdown.

13. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

There’s just no compelling story telling in these comic book films to make them immortal, they’re far too lazy and content to backfill with entertaining ‘episodes’ rather than individual well-plotted films.

What keeps them afloat is the immense work put into CGI and the fact that so many stellar actors have jumped on the bandwagon. We have vast collections of cool scenes but not the epic movie universe it thinks it is.

I’m also interested in IW2 out of curiosity but am usually in no rush for the rest. Haven’t even bothered with GOTG2, Black Panther or any of the Ant Mans yet.

axl rose likes this.
  14. Rhino_NQ

Rhino_NQ Immortal

Few more from the weekend

The mule - Clint Eastwood being Clint Eastwood with Mexicans

Game night- good fun, had me laughing a lot

axl rose likes this.
  15. PJ

PJ Bench

Ant Man and its sequel are pretty good. Not quite as same same as the others. The other 2 you mention you aren't missing anything on.

As for the rest of the post I pretty much agree. Plenty of movies I have seen multiple times will still get me to watch again if I am flicking around randomly and they pop up, but the only comic book film that I may stay on is TDK, Red or KickAss. Don't think I have rewatched any other mainstream comic film nor want to.

vvvrulz and axl rose like this.
  16. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Coach

The remake was the shittest thing I’ve ever seen. The chick who played Deputy Winston wasn’t even remotely funny

Shame as the original was a sleeper and grew to have a real cult following

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  17. Wizardman

Wizardman Bench

I saw "The Mule" last night. As a massive Clint Eastwood fan, I was always going to enjoy it...but it is a good quality story with a pretty damn good performance from Eastwood.

axl rose likes this.
  18. McLovin

McLovin Immortal

Shutter Island - garbage

19. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Juniors

Too far mate.

umina panther likes this.
  20. axl rose

axl rose Bench

Mortal Engines- mash up of much better films. Visually nice but pretty disappointing and bland story. 5/10