What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Eelementary

Post Whore
There's been a bunch of articles written about why it bombed, it's a shame cause it's one of the most self-aware action movies ever made.

It only needed a few tweaks for it to be a classic, it's definitely one of Arnie's best though.

I love it. I think it's a classic.

vvvrulz

Coach
There's been a bunch of articles written about why it bombed, it's a shame cause it's one of the most self-aware action movies ever made.

It only needed a few tweaks for it to be a classic, it's definitely one of Arnie's best though.

Got slammed because nobody got the joke

A piss take of Arnie style action movies.... starring Arnie!!
Took balls to do that, I enjoyed it a lot.
+ Charles Dance was hilarious!

vvvrulz

Coach
Age of ultron. 4/10. Too much going on, went for too long. Terrible.

At least shit storms like Batman and Robin were trying new things
This f*cking thing was running on auto pilot the whole way

It felt more like Avengers 1.1, same thing again but slightly reimagined

chigurh

Rounding off the Tarantino list:

Pulp Fiction - 8/10. The brilliant dialogue & characters make this show. I do wish the plot had something more going for it, of which there's pretty much none. But I guess that's the whole point.

Reservoir Dogs - 9/10. Basically Pink/White/Blonde/Orange yelling at each other for 99 minutes, and it's just awesome.

True Romance - 10/10. The best of all the Tarantino works for me, Tony Scott's direction complimented the script perfectly and it's close to the best cast ever assembled.

I didn't count Natural Born Killers in all of this, which I found awful and apparently is a complete departure from the original script anyway.

Agree with True Romance. Such a slick film and Christian Slater was sensational

Storm13

Juniors
Avengers 2 - 5/10 Same shit different story.

Jurassic World 4/10 The long wait for number 4 and it was a turd.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
smashing thew them lately

Inside - holy crap
San Adreas - meh
Interstellar - Somone should have warned me it is nearly 3 hours long, still good though
The ABCs of death - messed up
The Reef - did well with the effects on this one, pretty much certain he was in the water with it each time he ducked down with the goggles on, pretty intense.
Unfriended - wasn't bad, bit of a spin on the genre
Tusk - what the hell did i just watch?
Insidious 1 & 2 - first was good, can picture the thrid being disappointing
Bronson - brilliant from tom hardy

Storm13

Juniors
Insidious 3 - Not as good as the first but better than the second. Jumped in fright a couple of times.

mackdadday

Juniors
Maze runner 2 at the cinema yesterday. Definitely an eye-roller at times and Thomas has to be about the thickest hero I've ever seen (run 10 metres, stop look back at pursuers, run 8 more metres, stop look back again, repeat 32 times) but all-in-all an enjoyable mindless watch that sets up for a good third and final (i assume) film.

T.S Quint

Coach
Watching "Last Action Hero".

I love this movie.

I definitely think it's underrated.
There were people who never even picked up that it's supposed to be a parody of action films.

T.S Quint

Coach
Tusk - what the hell did i just watch?

:lol:
That's pretty much the general consensus from anyone who has seen it.
I thought it was actually pretty entertaining - except for the Johnny Depp stuff. He seems to have wandered in from a completely different movie.

T.S Quint

Coach
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation.

I was thoroughly entertained by this movie....however I did have a lot of problems with it.
Some of it stems from my wanting my spy movies to be spy movies - not action movies with some spy stuff thrown in. That's why I still think the first Mission: Impossible movie is the best. Tom Cruise never even fires a gun in that move. It's main setpiece has barely any sound whatsoever, and is just a guy dangling from a wire. Action scenes are cool, but I love the espionage stuff. I do realise that this isn't a real problem with the movie, but more what wished I was getting out of it.

As for the movie itself - how many times do we need to see Ethan Hunt on the run from his own government? There have now been 5 M:I films and he is hunted by his own in 4 of them! I think it's time the US government finally has his back, don't you think? Funnily enough the only one where he isn't on the run is the worst one (M:I2).

Other little things bothered me as well - people walking away without a scratch from both a car flipping about 8 times and a high speed motorcycle crash; Hunt is revealed to be shot, making it out as if it's some big deal, only for him to be completely healed in the next scene; some other stuff I won't go into for fear of spoiling the movie.
I really liked the idea of an "anti MIF" syndicate, but thought it was pointless without actually having the IMF in the movie to counter them. M:I was always about a team, but the movies have become 'Ethan Hunt vs The World'.

It's still a pretty good action movie. Well worth a watch.
7 out of 10.

For the record, I would list the MI films in order of quality:

1. Mission: Impossible
2. M:I3
3. M:I - Ghost Protocol
4. M:I - Rogue Nation
5. M:I2

Zoidberg

First Grade
Hercules (2014) starring The Rock.
Wow, what a big nothing of a movie. From the 1st minute of this film I kept having to tell myself not to turn it off. Only because I wanted to see it through to see if it got any better...it didn't.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Watxhed Train Wreck and Ant Man today.

Both were acceptable but ultimately forgettable. I love Inside Amy Schumer, but she's just not sympathetic enough to be the lead in a romantic comedy. LeBron was a hoot.

Ant Man was fun, but the villain was arguably the worst since Red Skull. Really over the top and a waste of Stoll's abilities.

LESStar58

Referee
Watxhed Train Wreck and Ant Man today.

Both were acceptable but ultimately forgettable. I love Inside Amy Schumer, but she's just not sympathetic enough to be the lead in a romantic comedy. LeBron was a hoot.

Ant Man was fun, but the villain was arguably the worst since Red Skull. Really over the top and a waste of Stoll's abilities.

I still can't get in to Amy Schumer. Tried to watch one of her stand up shows and was not entertained in the slightest which is weird because usually her style of comedy is right up my alley. Though I did see her on graham norton once and actually prefer her when she's just being herself and being interviewed.

vvvrulz

Coach

I counter your Red Skull with whoever the central goon was in Thor 2, don't even remember the name. Loki saved that movie to make it watchable at best, he might be the only compelling villain they've managed.

All the rest are a generic cardboard-cutout, you could throw in Whiplash, Ultron, Ronan, Bucky (to some extent), the evil hulk (forget the name), Killian in the long list of failed bad guys. Sounds like the new Dr Doom sucked too, and the Mandarin was a colossal f*ck up.

It baffles me how they manage this given how rich the source material is.

vvvrulz

Coach
L.A. Confidential 9/10 - this is the top shelf of it's genre, you won't see too many character studies better than this

Misanthrope

Staff member
I counter your Red Skull with whoever the central goon was in Thor 2, don't even remember the name. Loki saved that movie to make it watchable at best, he might be the only compelling villain they've managed.

All the rest are a generic cardboard-cutout, you could throw in Whiplash, Ultron, Ronan, Bucky (to some extent), the evil hulk (forget the name), Killian in the long list of failed bad guys. Sounds like the new Dr Doom sucked too, and the Mandarin was a colossal f*ck up.

It baffles me how they manage this given how rich the source material is.

The only one of the above I disagree with is Ultron. I think he's been one of their stronger villains. Not a patch on Loki, but one of their better efforts by a fair stretch.

Really, their villains are shit across the board. It's just good for Marvel that their heroes are more marketable than DC's 1950s stars.

--------

Saw Pitch Perfect 2 today on the flight. Wasn't half bad. 6.5/10

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Nightcrawler with jake gylenhaal 6/10. Bit slow for me and a weird storyline IMO. In fairness I don't really understand the media, the way they work or particularly like them

Latest posts