What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach for 2015 on

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach from 2015 on

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Elias1983

Coach
Heard on the grill team this morning from "supergrass" (who i think gets pretty close to the mark) that the Dragons are close to signing Sheens with Barrett as assistant. If true i'm happy about Sheens but not sold on Barrett. :?

Yeh heard that too...

How accurate is this guy usually?

possm

Coach
If Sheens is available and wanting to take on the job of head coach, the Board would be absolutely stupid not to sign him up for 3 years.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I thought I read somewhere that Sheens & Barrett share the same manager who is pushing for the deal. I think Mary has done a great job as stand in coach and would like to think the club shows some loyalty to him and not push him out completely if the above scenario becomes fact. I think he together with Young/ Hornby will potentially be very good/ great?? coaches down the track with more experience under their belts.

Not really sold on Barrett ...and would prefer Mary to be assistant to Sheens if he is signed

Country Dragon

Juniors
Could be too much friction if McGregor goes back to being assistant, not that I know anything about the situation. Just my opinion!

bottle

Coach
This is closer to fantasy than anything Objective View has posted.

What, hoping that serious consideration is being given to a number of candidates?
Look, I get your anti Mary stance, that's fine , you're entitled to hold it. I get your anti Board stance, again, no probs. Neither you nor I know for certain though what is being considered by the Board. I would consider hoping for something worthwhile from them would fall more into the category of blind faith rather than fantasy.

However maintaining that the Board is changing their minds on a 'week to week' basis, as old mate does, without a shred of evidence to support such a view is dumb. It might well be true, but I would seriously doubt it. I would be surprised if even our much maligned mob are that dumbf**k stupid.

More frightening is the prospect that the decision is made already and we are stuck with McGregor, rightly or wrongly. Nothing to support, just a bad feeling. Comments from that O'Connor knob don't make me feel any better about it.

The problem I have is I find it hard to be convinced that there is a single definitive alternative available. They all have their own foibles and faults. My preference is probably Daniel Anderson, but many have pointed to flaws in his resume as well. I know you are a proponent of Taylor, and I am tending to think he might be the best of the remaining available options. In the end though I fear it's moot.

Entrenched View said:
FFS Bottle, what holistic results based set of criteria could be applied to Mary?! He's coached for an entire 10 games no less.

HE DOESN'T QUALIFY FOR CONSIDERATION.

The rationale in here sometimes beggars belief.

Your entrenched view noted. The fact that you don't understand what variables should be considered in making a decision speaks volumes, so there is no need to shout.

bottle

Coach
If Sheens is available and wanting to take on the job of head coach, the Board would be absolutely stupid not to sign him up for 3 years.

possm, there is a rumour doing the rounds (unsubstantiated) that BMoz will bale if Sheens is assigned.
If that were true, and it may not be, would you still want Sheens?

Godz Illa

Coach
What, hoping that serious consideration is being given to a number of candidates?
Yep. It's a idyllic utopian dream that is, to quote Doust "not versed with reality". ie fantasy
However maintaining that the Board is changing their minds on a 'week to week' basis, as old mate does, without a shred of evidence to support such a view is dumb. It might well be true, but I would seriously doubt it. I would be surprised if even our much maligned mob are that dumbf**k stupid.
There is no shred of evidence that the board are taking a holistic appraoach with a results-based criteria. I'd call that expectation dumb.

In fact the evidence we have - the appointment of Price for example, the so-called "review" in 2013, and the promotion of McGregor to the assistant role - points to the exact opposite.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
Yeah whatever you prat. Trying to have a reasoned conversation with you is a waste of time. You can't get past your hurt feelings.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Yep. It's a idyllic utopian dream that is, to quote Doust "not versed with reality". ie fantasy

There is no shred of evidence that the board are taking a holistic appraoach with a results-based criteria. I'd call that expectation dumb.

In fact the evidence we have - the appointment of Price for example, the so-called "review" in 2013, and the promotion of McGregor to the assistant role - points to the exact opposite.

Exactly. The board has previous form, so you can understand why some people may think that Mary is being assessed on a week to week basis.

Whoever does get the job though, needs a 3 year contract. These 'wait and see' 12 month contracts realy undermine the coach and playing group.

P.s. I'm not sticking up for price. His stubbornness in choosing the same team every week, and getting the same results, was probably the major reason for his downfall.

GT0007

Juniors
Could be too much friction if McGregor goes back to being assistant, not that I know anything about the situation. Just my opinion!

It's a valid concern but we have to separate the views and intensity of them in the forum from reality. It's clear that Mcgreggor would be happy to keep the job and he's having some success at it but there's no evidence he wouldn't be happy to bide his time under an experienced coach.

GT0007

Juniors
possm, there is a rumour doing the rounds (unsubstantiated) that BMoz will bale if Sheens is assigned.
If that were true, and it may not be, would you still want Sheens?

A rumour is only a rumour as we know in here. That doesn't sound like something Bmoz would say. Does anyone know why he & Sheens would have had a falling out?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
That rumour sounds very true because I also heard that BMoz does not want to play for Australia anymore because Sheens is coach and is applying for an English citizenship. He looks very uncomfortable playing for Australia as Sheens has him on the bench most games. Yeah right.

Seriously, what a load of rubbish that rumour is. I am sure BMoz won't be too upset if his current rep coach joins his club. Did that rumour come from the Bulldogs camp who will again try and spread rumours that BMoz wants to join them only for BMoz to eventually sign with the dragons and state he never even considered leaving his beloved Dragons. Saints not only have the better Morris but the loyal one to.

On 2MMM this morning the supergrass reported that the Saints were very close to finalising the deal with Sheens and Barrett. Sheens for 2 years with Barrett to take over after that. Not sure what a credible source Supergrass is. Mary apparently may be going somewhere else as he has been told he will no longer be required past 2014.

Looking at Mary selections sounds like that may be true.

hazzbeen

Bench
Sheens for 2 years with Barrett to take over after that. How can anyone predict that Barrett will be capable to take over after Sheens goes. The Barrett part does not sit well being assistant for a couple of years does not mean he is ok to take over , but then again he may be a good coach...........who knows.......

BennyV

Referee
Word is that Barrett is held in high regard as a good future coach by quite a few peopl in the know. However, if the Sheens/Barrett combo came on board I would hope to hell that they arent guaranteeing anyone a future job, and that every coaching decision is made on its merits with the past 3 years in mind...