What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you rather have at your club?Jamie Soward or Mitchell Pearce..

Syren

Juniors
I do not want to see the kid suffers the same fate as Mullen, huge talent but he got blooded into the origin way too early and tonight it showed.

Dave Q

Coach
I dont think either of them are origin material.

In a club situation, I like Soward better. One day Pearce will overtake him.

Slippers

Juniors
Yep Anasta and Pearce totally lost us the origin series :roll: They made Quinn drop that sitter as well. Nevermind Gasnier's dirt eating contribution to the thrashing at Suncorp :lol:

Yep Anasta and Pearce totally lost us the origin series :roll: They made Quinn drop that sitter as well. Nevermind Gasnier's dirt eating contribution to the thrashing at Suncorp :lol:

not the series drop kick, just the game tonight

awful halves.

and with prince out that was even worse.

pearce will now go back to being a solid first grader.

all those inside balls and kicks for the winger got exposed by queensland

Slippers

Juniors
sure thing. Origin.. who cares. We'll see how King Soward goes when they play good sides.. if the draw allows that this year.

D

Deleted member 10972

How can everyone suddenly shut Pearce down after one average game?

The guy is 19 FFS, give him a break.

Soward is a good player, but is in the same mould as Marshall, Mullen, Carney...a very very crafty running 5-8 with an outstanding long kicking game, dangerous running game and support play, but an inconsistent short kicking arsenal and can often overplay their hands and end up looking foolish. These are all x-factor players, they can turn a game but also cost their team the game at the same time. They thrive outside solid halfbacks who aren't too expansive but accomplish their tasks required by them, like Ben Hornby, Scott Dureau, Peter Wallace, etc. An example of a halves pairing similar to this is currently Soward/Hornby.

Pearce is a COMPLETELY different player. He is a kick happy halfback who thrives on having to lead a team around, is a great leadership character and provides lots of direction, but because he has such a pivotal role, if he doesn't do well, he can often be very easily seen as a scapegoat. He is in the same mould as players like Rovelli, Head, Kimmorley, Orford, Prince. These sort of players thrive best when with unobtrusive 5-8's that provide them with good ball and allow them to run the show, whilst still providing a more consistent second option, like Anasta, Campese, Burns, Lyon, Seymour, Witt, etc. An example of a halves pairing similar to this that worked in recent years was Morris/Smith.

Problems arise when you mix and match. Titan's struggled when Josh Lewis arrived as his self-confident play clashed with Prince, and Rogers proved a better partner. Likewise, when Soward and Chase were together in the halves, although huge attacking potential, there was no consistency or stability.

In the end, we are talking about two HUGELY different players. Depending on the team make-up, you may want different players. Tigers would LOVE a player like Pearce next to Marshall, but with Lockyer getting on in age, Bronco's would look great with someone like Soward outside the stable Wallace.

cb4

First Grade
yeh i laughed at that too
but soward wont get near an origin team
no disrespect to him, good player
but wont be near a sky blue jumper

Godz Illa

Coach
Agree tbh. NSW never pick Soward type players. Quick, flashy, light players. Preston Campbell, Blacklock etc

OVP

Coach
mitchell pearce an origin player?

having a laugh.

anasta too, bye bye origin.

haha good old Dolly Chandos. You remind me of flies that are stopped with low irritant fly spray. Not very big ones...

Your own stupidity overrules you from being even a small fly.

league

Juniors
lol what a joke Junior's son is, is he the best half back in the state? surely not :oops:

an average footballer who offers very little, he prides himself on his kicking game, yet did nothing to trouble Slater, Hunt, Falou and Boyd. What a joker.

tbh, I have never seen a more overrated halfback ever.:oops::oops:

Agree tbh. NSW never pick Soward type players. Quick, flashy, light players. Preston Campbell, Blacklock etc

dont get me started on nathan blacklock not being picked for nsw.

that was f *cking disgraceful.

wayne pearce was to blame, it was his call.

and presto shouldve got a run on the bench.

peachey too was overlooked for a while, as was mundine.

haha good old Dolly Chandos. You remind me of flies that are stopped with low irritant fly spray. Not very big ones...

Your own stupidity overrules you from being even a small fly.

dont worry, they can go back to the chooks and keep getting bye on that boring footy which does enough behind a good forward pack.

tonight nsw had a number of chanes to win it. they didnt because the halves were clueless.

when some ad lib or genuine talent was required, all pearce and anasta had was another stupid inside pass or a bomb.

OVP

Coach
dont worry, they can go back to the chooks and keep getting bye on that boring footy which does enough behind a good forward pack.

tonight nsw had a number of chanes to win it. they didnt because the halves were clueless.

when some ad lib or genuine talent was required, all pearce and anasta had was another stupid inside pass or a bomb.

Better than being at the bottom of the table. Or have you changed allegiances AGAIN, Dolly ?

Better than being at the bottom of the table. Or have you changed allegiances AGAIN, Dolly ?

saints arent at the bottom of the table.

i feel sorry for you having to watch these boring halves each week when you had soward on the roster.

thanks for that by the way, hes a gem