What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWE SuperThread *Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
It's not just about the wrestling, but in-ring chemistry, ring psychology, interactions with the crowd, etc. Mixing all the intangibles together for an experience for the fans.
Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness (Unified 8.12.2006 – ROH World Title vs. ROH Pure Title Unification Match)

Nails every possible criteria you could use but Meltzer wouldn't give a 5 star match to a North American wrestler unless his boy Samoa Joe was in it throughout the naughties.

At the end of the day it's all subjective. With ROH there is a belief that the quality of the product is high, so getting a 5 star rating will be difficult because people just expect that quality to happen every night. With the WWE, the standard is generally lower, so getting a 5 star match (theoretically) should be easier.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
At the end of the day it's all subjective. With ROH there is a belief that the quality of the product is high, so getting a 5 star rating will be difficult because people just expect that quality to happen every night. With the WWE, the standard is generally lower, so getting a 5 star match (theoretically) should be easier.
All Mitsuharu Misawa had to do was walk into a ring and Meltzer gave him 5-stars so he has no problems handing out accolades.

Samoa Joe is credited with all 3 5-star matches containing a North American wrestler in the last decade but Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter gave Bryan Danieslon wrestler of the decade. They've f**ked up somewhere obviously.

That's the first 5-star match in the WWE since '97 so you theoretical assertions appears inaccurate.

All Mitsuharu Misawa had to do was walk into a ring and Meltzer gave him 5-stars so he has no problems handing out accolades.

Samoa Joe is credited with all 3 5-star matches containing a North American wrestler in the last decade but Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter gave Bryan Danieslon wrestler of the decade. They've f**ked up somewhere obviously.

That's the first 5-star match in the WWE since '97 so you theoretical assertions appears inaccurate.

I knew Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker got 5 stars in 1997, but I also thought one of their 2 matches at Wrestlemania got 5 stars too. Either way, like I said, it's subjective. And it's hilarious that John Cena can now be mentioned alongside Michaels, Samoa Joe, Misawa, Christopher Daniels, etc as a 5 star wrestler!

Some of my favourite ROH matches have been those which are FAR from five star classics. Homicide/Danielson in the steel cage, Briscoes/AOF Ladder War, Michael Shane/Paul London at Unscripted.

Star ratings are always subjective, and Meltzer has his bias/favs, but he generally knows hsi stuff

Moffo

Referee
lol what a joke, it had so many stuff ups. meltzer is a c**k smoker (or getting paid off by vince)

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
lol what a joke, it had so many stuff ups. meltzer is a c**k smoker (or getting paid off by vince)
I know what Meltzer is thinking. This is the career defining moment for Punk and a possible paradigm shift in the direction of the WWE. I still don't know how he can overlook the match itself though.

My original thought was to have a WWE Champion vs WWE Champion Ladder Match, just like Shawn Michaels had with Razor Ramon, first to grab both titles is the Undisputed WWE Champion. However, I can see them doing a quick build to a regular singles match to unify the two WWE Titles.

Damn, hoping they wouldn't but they did. CM Punk vs John Cena for the Undisputed WWE Championship at Summerslam.

Last edited:

DB

First Grade
Pretty lackluster RAW..... Opening was good, the rest went shit house.

Really digging Punks 'New' song. I wasn't into ROH when he was there, so this is the first time I've heard it.

***MH***

Bench
Damn, hoping they wouldn't but they did. CM Punk vs John Cena for the Undisputed WWE Championship at Summerslam.
What do you think of a Double DQ or Count out occuring at SummerSlam, then HHH comes in to restart but then CM Punk and Cena turn heel and attack HHH. Not only starting a heel alliance but hijacking the titles from being defended at all.

Punk and Cena becoming the next Degeneration X??? HHH will need this type of friction in the company to be successful as the new COO.

On another note, Jericho seemed elated that CM Punk gave him a shout out on Raw, and everyone telling him over twitter.

Big Pete

Referee
Pretty lackluster RAW..... Opening was good, the rest went shit house.

Really digging Punks 'New' song. I wasn't into ROH when he was there, so this is the first time I've heard it.

Agreed.

It's okay for Raw to have a 'settling' show but the way they presented it made it boring. Building the entire episode around a predictible announcement is just bad tv and really they should have got that out of the way at the top of the show.

The rest of the show was a mixed bag.

Beth Phoinex earning a title shot and turning heel - good.

Morrison making his Raw return in a thrown together tag match and losing - bad.

Riley cutting a promo on Ziggler - good.

Del Rio and Bourne main eventing - bad

Now, I'm one of those people who when they say something is bad will offer up their own suggestions so straight off the bat I'd extend the opening segment to announce at SummerSlam there will be a unification match at SummerSlam between Punk and the winner of the WWE Championship rematch between Cena and Mysterio. I'm doing this rematch because we need a big match to close the show and we can't include Punk until SummerSlam.

So instead of having the tag match, Miz and Truth have the night off and Morrison has his Raw return match against Swagger and I'll have JoMo win in a match that I'd afford 10-15 minutes. R-Truth on commentry for the lolz and post-match staredown.

John Cena and Mysterio would be another neck and neck fight and as things are headed to a close have The Miz interfere and cost Mysterio the match so we have Miz/Mysterio at SS and the original match.

If the show needed more time to kill, have The Miz wrestle Chris Masters and go over quickly around halfway through the show.

What do you think of a Double DQ or Count out occuring at SummerSlam, then HHH comes in to restart but then CM Punk and Cena turn heel and attack HHH. Not only starting a heel alliance but hijacking the titles from being defended at all.

Punk and Cena becoming the next Degeneration X??? HHH will need this type of friction in the company to be successful as the new COO.

I can't see John Cena doing something like that (the guy was doing "fruity pepples" ha ha jokes 3 months ago). I like the idea of CM Punk being the foil of HHH in crowning a sole WWE Champion, but as a feud I still think it will be hot-shoted. Cena, I believe, will be the Undisputed WWE Champion by the Royal Rumble and take that into the match with The Rock at Wrestlemania, with Punk facing HHH.

But here is one for you ***MH***, what if Cena becomes Undisputed WWE Champion, but Punk ends up winning the Rumble to make the match with Cena + The Rock a Triple Threat for the WWE Title. Just thinking since Punk + Rock had their sparring match over Twitter + Facebook over headlining Wrestlemania. Probably reading too much into it.

Is anyone else seeing something possible here that would be epic and that would be a stable called the status quo with triple h and cena joining forces, john lauranitis is in it and stuff like that. and Punk (the voice of the people) takes them on. this could be awesome if they do it right. f**k cena/rock at wm, this would be the biggest thing in 10 years.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
I can't see John Cena doing something like that (the guy was doing "fruity pepples" ha ha jokes 3 months ago). I like the idea of CM Punk being the foil of HHH in crowning a sole WWE Champion, but as a feud I still think it will be hot-shoted. Cena, I believe, will be the Undisputed WWE Champion by the Royal Rumble and take that into the match with The Rock at Wrestlemania, with Punk facing HHH.

But here is one for you ***MH***, what if Cena becomes Undisputed WWE Champion, but Punk ends up winning the Rumble to make the match with Cena + The Rock a Triple Threat for the WWE Title. Just thinking since Punk + Rock had their sparring match over Twitter + Facebook over headlining Wrestlemania. Probably reading too much into it.
Why does Cena need the belt for his match against Rocky to draw? I can't see how it really matters.

Keep the belt on Punk and have him feud with Triple H.

Status
Not open for further replies.