What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Why don't the Dragons get Gasnier or Cooper to work with Lomax?
Because that would make sense. And as we all know, the dragons like to do the opposite of what makes sense. Like resigning a coach after 8 straight losses and before a game has been played in the new season. Or sign shitmerkins like Sharon Woods, Mbye and McCullogh, or try go after players like Israel "I hate gay people" Folau.

Last edited:

be55

Juniors
I notice a lot of comments about Zac and even some about Suli as well. Posters questioning their ability to put their wingers away. I feel for both of them because they are restricted to a game plan that probably doesn't suit either of them.

These two need more space in attack. More depth to allow Zac's step to come into play and more time for him to assess if the pass is on or not. And we all know Suli, when given room, can be a devastating ball carrier who can also put his winger away as shown in the Charity Shield and on many occasions for Manly last year. The problem is they are not getting this room because we play way too flat at the line in attack. When they are getting the ball the defence is on top of them already. And this comes down to one man...Ben Hunt.

The whole backline and the style we are playing is designed around him. He's not a player that will take off and beat players with speed on the outside. He's more a draw and pass play maker. Look at the Eels yesterday. The speed of Moses and Brown was used to burn our inside defenders which allows space for the outside backs to play with more depth, and you saw what Penisini and co did with that extra room.

I like Hunt. I greatly admire his doggedness and determination on the field, but in my opinion, if we had a halfback with greater speed and lateral movement, we could design a game plan and attacking structure that would open up the backline more and we wouldn't have to play so flat at the line. This would give the centres and outside backs the time and space they need.

I doubt it will happen but maybe a positional change would help...

Word on the street is we need a good dummy half...

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

dragon thomo

Juniors
Spot on be55.
The depth of our backline is awful.
We can see this but the coaching staff cant. I just don't understand.
It is something you learn in juniors and yet our backline play flat most of the time.
I have been a supporter of Griffin and Hunt but this stops with them to fix.

thebigredv

First Grade
your a moron

Honestly, it's 11 losses from the last 12 games. Let people vent on a footy forum without the high and mighty routine.

I noticed you throwing out the 'so called supporters' line elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned support takes many shapes and forms and it's healthy for people to express themselves so long as it isn't vitriolic or abusive. People are invested heavily in the game and have a right to be upset.

Also, it's 'you're a moron' for correct punctuation.

denis preston

First Grade
Did notice Zac poke his nose through a couple of times the other night by just running & attempting a fend instead of thinking pass.
Maybe it’s something they’ve been working on.
I know he is on a long contract but I hope not huge money as well. I will cut him some slack as he, like a lot of other players games are suffering due to the overall teams form.

kit66

Bench
I'll agree with you to a point but there's many times Lomax could draw and pass as well. He seems to have a one track mind, if he get's the ball attacking close to the line he always takes the same option no matter what's happening with the defence, pass the ball to Rava, preferably without looking to see if Rava is actually there. Many times, even a few this year he could have got Rave over if he'd only been more careful with the pass, he doesn't have to do the no look or wild flick every time. 1 try and 1 try assist this year and 3 or 4 bombed.

Add a couple more bombed by Lomax having no respect for the ball and throwing those unnecessary no look passes.
The guy's an idiot but so are his coaches for not demanding he looks before passing. Bellamy would tear him a new one for doing it once, Lomax does 2-3 times a game. If I was his team mate I'd be furious.
When Ramsey comes back I'd drop Lomax for Feagai, go play reserves, you're not fit for 1st grade.

An Australian schoolboy and a standout in Brad Fittler’s NSW under 18s last year playing in the centres,
He was great in his first few years. What has happened. One of his best plays the draw in defenders then flick to his unmarked winger is brilliant if it comes off.. but it is a low percentage play. If it fails you look like a goose. Zac needs to curb it for a while until he his confidence returns. He has other natural talents try those instead.

SaintPeter

Juniors
He was very poor tonight. And not for the first time this year.
Just wondering how he would be going if Wayne Bennett was his coach. The answer is better.
Just about seen enough of this coach.
I know he’s not on the field but the plays, player selection, lack of both attack and defence skills is killing this team.
There’s some talent out there no doubt but jeez it’s bloody uncoordinated.

rasaint

Juniors
Some posters after 4 NRL seasons still believe Lomax the ordinary player with goal kicking ability would just be wonderful if not for his coach, the forwards, standing deeper blah blah blah.

Being fair, he will occasionally do something good but that’s all folks. We will never win a comp with such an over hyped unremarkable player. Sucks up $600k on the cap. In 2025 some will be talking about his potential and if only he was properly coached.

Latest posts