What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 5 - Vs Warriors

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Backline metres not an issue today Milne 234 metres, Thompson 161 metres, Wighton 150 metres. Out stupidity let us down 16 errors you can’t do it. We are not fit the side isn’t fit at all far from it. Our pack got steamrolled.

As for as I’m concerned JD, Croll the High performance guy, Schafer and Solly they can all go. Of course the coach will be sacked but there are other issues too which if we ignore things won’t change regardless of who coaches us. The rot is well and truly setting in the culture is far off where it needs to be yes a fair bit comes on JD but it needs to on others as well.

Your 100 percent right mate. 16 errors and 11 of them were made by our star backline.

Thumper

Juniors
Youve never played rugby league and its obvious. You cant expect a forward pack to hold up in that heat with the amount of errors we were making. Wade Egan did a brilliant job picking out the tired defenders.

We made 16 errors yesterday and 11 of them were made by our 'talented' backline. Our forwards were copping repeat set after repeat set on our line and we finally got the ball back and you know what Latrell Mitchell did? He elbowed someone in the face... not even a fend... it was an elbow. Its shit like that thats killing our team in these games.

The bright side in all of this is that Latrell is gone for 3 weeks and we get to see Jye Gray debut.
Did the warriors play in another part of the world where the heat was different? What a ridiculous comment. I expect a forward pack to hold up when the other team play in the same conditions. You obviously didn’t play league very well to blame the weather on 1 teams inability to try. They don’t run hard. They don’t tackle hard. They have no line speed. 300 less metres gained in the game.
souths forwards are Pathetic. Backs can’t do anything when the forward pack gets dominated weekly.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Did the warriors play in another part of the world where the heat was different? What a ridiculous comment. I expect a forward pack to hold up when the other team play in the same conditions. You obviously didn’t play league very well to blame the weather on 1 teams inability to try. They don’t run hard. They don’t tackle hard. They have no line speed. 300 less metres gained in the game.
souths forwards are Pathetic. Backs can’t do anything when the forward pack gets dominated weekly.

The warriors were tired too lol but they didnt have to defend their line for about 40 tackles in a row. At one point they were only making about 30 metres per set.

This comment is absolutely ludicrous. We have 300 less run metres because we spent the majority of the game defending from errors. Im sure if you averaged out the amount of runs to actual metres made then it would actually be close. At one stage the warriors actually did look gassed and we were on the front point. You like to act like you know what your talking about but its obvious youre just defending Latrell and Cody.

Our backline had plenty of ball to actually do something but they did nothing except throw it out or knock the ball on. Our backline panics too often when theyre in the opposition 20 and its about as consistent as a local park side that dont train together and just rock up to the games on Saturday.

Thumper

Juniors
The warriors were tired too lol but they didnt have to defend their line for about 40 tackles in a row. At one point they were only making about 30 metres per set.

This comment is absolutely ludicrous. We have 300 less run metres because we spent the majority of the game defending from errors. Im sure if you averaged out the amount of runs to actual metres made then it would actually be close. At one stage the warriors actually did look gassed and we were on the front point. You like to act like you know what your talking about but its obvious youre just defending Latrell and Cody.

Our backline had plenty of ball to actually do something but they did nothing except throw it out or knock the ball on. Our backline panics too often when theyre in the opposition 20 and its about as consistent as a local park side that dont train together and just rock up to the games on Saturday.
Who f**king cares how much defending they have to do. They don’t defend errors full stop. No heart no toughness. No coach blames how many tackles that had to be made as an excuse on why they lost.
1 try from Roger and the rest came Straight through the f**king middle.

Travitoh

First Grade
Our recruitment and retention has been poor for a while now and years of poor decisions have finally come to rest.
Our outside backs are slow and junk. Our 9 hasn't been relevant for years despite changes to the game that should play to his strengths. Our 1 and 6 don't give a f**k, have always thought they're bigger than the club and hang the 7 out to dry after pushing out our premiership 7. Our edges are shit or fickle and have been for years now. Our props try but as a unit, are not suited to the post-covid game (even though the speeding up of the game was happening before covid). Our lock is becoming ineffective because he's being left to carry the pack, despite there being a very capable reliever in reserve. Our depth is filled with dross from other clubs because there is a lack of talent coming through pathways, i suspect because we don't have the right pieces in place to allow talent to develop.

It's easy to point the finger at JD because he's the one in the press conferences and I'm not necessarily saying that he is blameless, but there is a lot wrong with the club at the moment and it's all contributing to the poor results of the last 12 months or so. No coach that would be willing to come to the club in it's current state would succeed. Very unlikely but if JD is sacked, i want to see someone come in who'll challenge the club. Someone who doesn't give a f**k if they got sacked for upsetting the wrong people. Gould would be ideal imo but he won't leave his cushy jobs at the Dogs and 9. Unfortunately, we'll just get a yes man in, keep doing the same things and getting the same results after a short term new coach bounce.

It'd be great if Uncle Rusty went in on Monday and got into anyone he saw who works in the football department. The front office needs it's cage rattled.

Thumper

Juniors
Our recruitment and retention has been poor for a while now and years of poor decisions have finally come to rest.
Our outside backs are slow and junk. Our 9 hasn't been relevant for years despite changes to the game that should play to his strengths. Our 1 and 6 don't give a f**k, have always thought they're bigger than the club and hang the 7 out to dry after pushing out our premiership 7. Our edges are shit or fickle and have been for years now. Our props try but as a unit, are not suited to the post-covid game (even though the speeding up of the game was happening before covid). Our lock is becoming ineffective because he's being left to carry the pack, despite there being a very capable reliever in reserve. Our depth is filled with dross from other clubs because there is a lack of talent coming through pathways, i suspect because we don't have the right pieces in place to allow talent to develop.

It's easy to point the finger at JD because he's the one in the press conferences and I'm not necessarily saying that he is blameless, but there is a lot wrong with the club at the moment and it's all contributing to the poor results of the last 12 months or so. No coach that would be willing to come to the club in it's current state would succeed. Very unlikely but if JD is sacked, i want to see someone come in who'll challenge the club. Someone who doesn't give a f**k if they got sacked for upsetting the wrong people. Gould would be ideal imo but he won't leave his cushy jobs at the Dogs and 9. Unfortunately, we'll just get a yes man in, keep doing the same things and getting the same results after a short term new coach bounce.

It'd be great if Uncle Rusty went in on Monday and got into anyone he saw who works in the football department. The front office needs its cage rattled.
If the props are trying I’d hate to see how bad they were if they didn’t try.

speedster

Juniors
The fatigue differential factor in games is very real. All teams try to gas their opponents more than they get gassed themselves. Teams that are schooled in dominating possession and field position aim to put more fatigue into the legs of their opposition so it pays off later in both halves. Especially in warmer and humid weather conditions. It's been talked about a lot in commentary for a long time now that Souths like to set up from set restarts and put on attacking trick shots from there so the thing to do is to keep the ball in play as long as possible and prevent Souths from getting too many breathers and shots in good ball position. Then Souths are more fatigued and feel more desperate to score with fewer opportunities up the right end of the field and fluff things up and fret about it then find themselves back on their own line in no time and drop their heads.

Souths are not good in yardage and can't kick themselves out of trouble anymore without Reynolds there. Penrith exposed that a few years ago including in the GF with Reynolds there and now all teams are following suit. Souths are at a loss as to what to do about it. The entire squad isn't geared towards changing to a more workmanlike game plan. The expectation has always been that "we know we've got points in us so we just have to fix up our defence and it will just happen" but that isn't just happening. Our trick shots are old and telegraphed now and Cody has too few options to call on as his supports and he himself get picked off too easily nowadays.

Time for a revamp. Latrell takes a holiday and loses his fullback spot to Jye Gray who I tip to shine even though he is a natural half. He's just got it. If you're good enough, you're old enough and he is damn good. Latrell can suck it up at left centre and he should feel a strong sense of owing the team to play like the best centre in the world when he returns. Big question as to his mindset though. Cody to 7. Sorry mate but the trickery is just stale and with age and a metre or 3 slower, it's time to be the organiser and leave the pivot work to a former Dally M winner in Wighton who does have a big kick on him and a few 40/20s in his resume. Different shapes, different game plan.

Number one issue is trying to match the yardage and field position game. Duncan must get more game time and Murray should spend more time on an edge to preserve his body but also to increase our threat out wide. Shaq and Davvy need to come back in. We are seriously lacking speed out wide. Munro is just a kid but hope he's not far off and we should play him left wing while AJ is still out as he will bag more overlap opportunities that we are creating than ITT. Gee we are missing Graham badly but it just exposes our poor depth.

Finally, other little things like the chase when kicks are put up is just so poor. The Warriors charged through on every kick Johnson put up in stark contrast. That is not just physical fatigue but mental attitude of going through the motions and basically thinking about transitioning to defence like its a handover rather than contesting the ball and trying to force an error. They're just not dialled in anymore and that's what happens when players stop listening to the coaching staff - or does JD coach them to put easy kicks up and not chase too hard? They may not have anything against JD but they're just not fully listening anymore. They can't be.

Last edited:
Youve never played rugby league and its obvious. You cant expect a forward pack to hold up in that heat with the amount of errors we were making. Wade Egan did a brilliant job picking out the tired defenders.

We made 16 errors yesterday and 11 of them were made by our 'talented' backline. Our forwards were copping repeat set after repeat set on our line and we finally got the ball back and you know what Latrell Mitchell did? He elbowed someone in the face... not even a fend... it was an elbow. Its shit like that thats killing our team in these games.

The bright side in all of this is that Latrell is gone for 3 weeks and we get to see Jye Gray debut.

Come on down jye gray I been waiting for you dudmetriou thinks your too green jye well dudmetriou is about to be sacked i suggest he will turn green lol.

I encourage you to rewatch the first half of the game. The whole game went to shit late in the first half because our forwards were tired from having to make so many tackles. I also encourage you to watch Cody Walker in defence. Cody has become a worst defender than Matt Moylan.

This team will be better off when theres a coach who wont cop shit and will drop players like Cody and Latrell because right now theyre not playing as well as they can and theyre absorbing a massive chunk of our salary cap.

The funny thing is and i didnt want to believe it initially but Sam Burgess was right. Theres certain players that arent held up to the same standards as everyone else.

In all honesty what does Sam have to gain from saying that? Theres no way Sam wants to openly shit on the club for no apparent reason. He broke his jaw for this club on the field and kept playing.

Its also obvious that we dont want to play that grinding brand of footy that teams (except Brisbane) play. We dont want to complete our sets and go for repeat sets on the line. We want to kick the ball on the 2nd when weve made a line break because we are so DESPERATE to score.

Brilliant post

handyman2190

Bench

It'd be great if Uncle Rusty went in on Monday and got into anyone he saw who works in the football department. The front office needs it's cage rattled.
Been saying this for a few years now

Great post well done good read

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
The fatigue differential factor in games is very real. All teams try to gas their opponents more than they get gassed themselves. Teams that are schooled in dominating possession and field position aim to put more fatigue into the legs of their opposition so it pays off later in both halves. Especially in warmer and humid weather conditions. It's been talked about a lot in commentary for a long time now that Souths like to set up from set restarts and put on attacking trick shots from there so the thing to do is to keep the ball in play as long as possible and prevent Souths from getting too many breathers and shots in good ball position. Then Souths are more fatigued and feel more desperate to score with fewer opportunities up the right end of the field and fluff things up and fret about it then find themselves back on their own line in no time and drop their heads.

Souths are not good in yardage and can't kick themselves out of trouble anymore without Reynolds there. Penrith exposed that a few years ago including in the GF with Reynolds there and now all teams are following suit. Souths are at a loss as to what to do about it. The entire squad isn't geared towards changing to a more workmanlike game plan. The expectation has always been that "we know we've got points in us so we just have to fix up our defence and it will just happen" but that isn't just happening. Our trick shots are old and telegraphed now and Cody has too few options to call on as his supports and he himself get picked off too easily nowadays.

Time for a revamp. Latrell takes a holiday and loses his fullback spot to Jye Gray who I tip to shine even though he is a natural half. He's just got it. If you're good enough, you're old enough and he is damn good. Latrell can suck it up at left centre and he should feel a strong sense of owing the team to play like the best centre in the world when he returns. Big question as to his mindset though. Cody to 7. Sorry mate but the trickery is just stale and with age and a metre or 3 slower, it's time to be the organiser and leave the pivot work to a former Dally M winner in Wighton who does have a big kick on him and a few 40/20s in his resume. Different shapes, different game plan.

Number one issue is trying to match the yardage and field position game. Duncan must get more game time and Murray should spend more time on an edge to preserve his body but also to increase our threat out wide. Shaq and Davvy need to come back in. We are seriously lacking speed out wide. Munro is just a kid but hope he's not far off and we should play him left wing while AJ is still out as he will bag more overlap opportunities that we are creating than ITT. Gee we are missing Graham badly but it just exposes our poor depth.

Finally, other little things like the chase when kicks are put up is just so poor. The Warriors charged through on every kick Johnson put up in stark contrast. That is not just physical fatigue but mental attitude of going through the motions and basically thinking about transitioning to defence like its a handover rather than contesting the ball and trying to force an error. They're just not dialled in anymore and that's what happens when players stop listening to the coaching staff - or does JD coach them to put easy kicks up and not chase too hard? They may not have anything against JD but they're just not fully listening anymore. They can't be.
Yep, Latrell needs to be told he's not playing fullback anymore because he's not good enough. It's not racism, and they could put Wighton or AJ there to show it, both would be much better. AJ is the defacto fullback anyway, because he's the one carrying the ball from kick returns, whether he catches the kick or not.
I'd like to see Gray developed as the future half. There's no point replicating the Taafe mistake of trying to play him in a position that he isn't physically built and suited to.
Latrell left centre, Wighton FB, Gray @ 7. Go with that until AJ and Stretch are back and then assess.
if Demetriou is the walking dead, then he should show some guts and just make those changes. If he gets fired, so be it. It's better than dying by a thousand cuts and then getting sacked anyway.
And I agree, Duncan needs to play much more, whether it be at lock as Murray's replacement, or edge foward as a starter. a rotation of both equalling a total of 60mins per game. He can manage that comfortably. And bring in Munro when he is good to go, and stick with him regardless of any mistakes. I mean, we stuck with Paulo and his mistakes before, and even Stretch in his first and second season, right?

speedster

Juniors
Yep, Latrell needs to be told he's not playing fullback anymore because he's not good enough. It's not racism, and they could put Wighton or AJ there to show it, both would be much better. AJ is the defacto fullback anyway, because he's the one carrying the ball from kick returns, whether he catches the kick or not.
I'd like to see Gray developed as the future half. There's no point replicating the Taafe mistake of trying to play him in a position that he isn't physically built and suited to.
Latrell left centre, Wighton FB, Gray @ 7. Go with that until AJ and Stretch are back and then assess.
if Demetriou is the walking dead, then he should show some guts and just make those changes. If he gets fired, so be it. It's better than dying by a thousand cuts and then getting sacked anyway.
And I agree, Duncan needs to play much more, whether it be at lock as Murray's replacement, or edge foward as a starter. a rotation of both equalling a total of 60mins per game. He can manage that comfortably. And bring in Munro when he is good to go, and stick with him regardless of any mistakes. I mean, we stuck with Paulo and his mistakes before, and even Stretch in his first and second season, right?
Agree about Gray and have said so myself in the past but where I was coming from in my previous post was based on Latrell being suspended for the next 3 weeks. On top of that I think the Hawkins punt has well and truly failed and we need Jack to join Cody in the halves for now. Down the track, I would love to see Gray eased into the pressure cooker of the halves for the sake of his future.

Agree about Gray and have said so myself in the past but where I was coming from in my previous post was based on Latrell being suspended for the next 3 weeks. On top of that I think the Hawkins punt has well and truly failed and we need Jack to join Cody in the halves for now. Down the track, I would love to see Gray eased into the pressure cooker of the halves for the sake of his future.

Wighton should had been #6 on his return and ilias dropped.

callmack1

Staff member
Not even going to bother with a match report. Why the hell should I?? The boys can't be arsed, so why should I? I'm not even going to watch the replay.

The only guys who played with any sort of heart and desire yesterday were Milne, Tass, Wighton, Murray and Burgess. The others can piss off.

Our club has become a disgrace.

Full team and player stats here,

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Interesting that all these teams won in run metres but still got smashed in their respective games. Its almost as if run metres alone dont win you games.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408-070757_NRL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408-070757_NRL.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240408-070741_NRL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408-070741_NRL.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240408-070727_NRL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408-070727_NRL.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 5
Not even going to bother with a match report. Why the hell should I?? The boys can't be arsed, so why should I? I'm not even going to watch the replay.

The only guys who played with any sort of heart and desire yesterday were Milne, Tass, Wighton, Murray and Burgess. The others can piss off.

Our club has become a disgrace.

Full team and player stats here,

Perfectly said Callmack

themacemaceman

Juniors
Interesting that all these teams won in run metres but still got smashed in their respective games. Its almost as if run metres alone dont win you games.
Yeah run metres as a stat alone is overrated I think. You can make 60-70m but it counts for nothing if you drop the ball at the other end.
I think completions are a more telling stat. All the above teams had a worse completion rate although the tigers actually completed at 80%

Latest posts