What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Round 2 - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 9th March 8pm @BlueBet Stadium

If my kid said something racist, I would have failed as a parent.

And my daughter she’s going out with a kid who is half Islander.

In all of the genetic mix, he’s got fairer skin than me lol.

Hes a good kid, I treat him like a son. He studiously ignores my advice just like my actual son…hopefully not all of it!

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Souths will never beat Penrith running one out all night.
Penrith are an extremely well drilled side, very mobile forwards, they get three or four forwards to each and every tackle and in that way they slow down the ruck . Penrith did that well, all night except the last ten minutes when Souths threw the ball around and scored two tries.
If you remove the 'lucky' Penrith try, right on half time, you get an indication of how close the game was.
The refereeing was fair.
Every time we've played the Panthers, they have eaten up the one out stuff, but have been under pressure and cracked open when we move the ball around. Except when Penrith are defending their line. Gotta admit this has been one main reason why they have been successful the last 3 years
I've seen it on the odd occasion under Bennett, but when we shift the ball early in the tackle count, and deep in our own territory, most often we end up making big yardage, and line breaks because almost all teams scouting us know for years we play conservative and compressed coming out of our own red zone

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
No need for panic stations gents.
we definitely learnt a few things last night about the team.
Cartwright should never play first grade again.
like I said last year. Thompson has hands like feet. He is a liability.
Shaq deserves his spot even when the others come back.
Our attack was poor. Didn’t attack the right side more than twice all night.
But we defended well, so the attitude is there.
Penriths first try was from a bouncing ball. Second one wasn’t a try. To have 5 forwards out and keep Penrith at home to 16-10 and play shit. Definitely not head hanging stuff.
Yeah I couldn't understand constantly going left, especially when Crighton and Toho were doing really well handling it, after last week where we went almost exclusively right.
I can only put it down to Cody, in this game, demanding the ball because he was fired up. But he needs to let Lachie be able to run the show too

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Penrith fans made no such comments to Cody and Latrell, they had a Roosters jumper on. In any situation though, they are professionals should be water off a ducks back. Not that I am condoning the behaviour.
Professionals got nothing to do with it when you repeatedly INSULTING someone based on race.
But then, that s what all ignorant, uneducated, downtodden, trailer park trash, like you, would say to justify being bottom rung in life

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Will be good to move onto next week where we can rid ourselves of these Penrith supporters on our part of LU and they can go back to talking about how impressive Jarome Luai and Dylan Edwards are in their own part of the forum. I dont know if there's any likeable Penrith supporters left.
there are a couple, maybe 2

Black Panther

Juniors
Professionals got nothing to do with it when you repeatedly INSULTING someone based on race.
But then, that s what all ignorant, uneducated, downtodden, trailer park trash, like you, would say to justify being bottom rung in life
Either has wearing a Rooters jumper at a Panthers game. Wake the f**k up to yourself, it wasn’t a Panthers fan..

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Penrith fans made no such comments to Cody and Latrell, they had a Roosters jumper on. In any situation though, they are professionals should be water off a ducks back. Not that I am condoning the behaviour.

Pretty shit take. Unless youre Aboriginal and have been consistently racially abused at your own job you cant make these comments.

We have a long way to go as a society if we honestly believe that just because X player is earning a large amount of money he should put up with consistent racial abuse. If you dont think its consistent watch the Post Match Conference with Jason Demetriou.

I think its time to give up and go back to the Penrith side of LU. I don't think a single thing you've posted here has been insightful rather just trying to wind up South Sydney fans.

Blues Riff

Bench
And go and look at the nice little stomp the dog Taas gave Dyl after he scored the try. No wonder he gave him shit when he failed 2 minutes later.
fkn dribblers.

Black Panther

Juniors
Pretty shit take. Unless youre Aboriginal and have been consistently racially abused at your own job you cant make these comments.

We have a long way to go as a society if we honestly believe that just because X player is earning a large amount of money he should put up with consistent racial abuse. If you dont think its consistent watch the Post Match Conference with Jason Demetriou.

I think its time to give up and go back to the Penrith side of LU. I don't think a single thing you've posted here has been insightful rather just trying to wind up South Sydney fans.
No one is condoning racial abuse. I have more of a problem with the way certain people like to make out the Penrith players/ fans are grubs.

Murraymob1

Juniors
People are often surprised that there is a strong rooster fan base in Penrith .cronulla half nico Haynes best summed it up by saying this is a 15 year old kid that would learn more by education on aboriginal affairs than he would by a ban

People are often surprised that there is a strong rooster fan base in Penrith .cronulla half nico Haynes best summed it up by saying this is a 15 year old kid that would learn more by education on aboriginal affairs than he would by a ban

His parents are his legal guardians, if they are raising racist kids, they can attend the course.

I’d still ban the little prick.

Even when a lot of the Panther players turned into the sex criminal loving perverts, they weren’t on any racist bus.

Latrell sucks, but nothing to do with race or culture. He hurt Manu.

callmack1

Staff member
Just finished watching the replay so here's my full report,

Attack

I was really disappointed in our attack over all, mainly the attacking strategy and game plan. All week, the players and JD had been talking about sticking to our processes and not going away from that. While I agree with that, you have to be willing and able to adapt on the run. It was pretty clear in the opening 10-20 minutes that our conservative strategy of rucking it out from our own end wasn't working. It works against the majority of the NRL, but not against Penrith. They lap it up and contain it easily because it allows their line speed and ridiculous wrestling tactics to come to the fore. As I said, this clearly wasn't working as it meant we were just coming out of our end for most of the game and couldn't get into many positions to really attack. However, the boys didn't change, they didn't adapt, they didn't deviate from that.

Look at how we played in the last 15 minutes, it wasn't until the game was nearly too far out of reach that the boys actually started playing Footy and throwing it around. Penrith found this really hard to handle to be honest, hence our comeback at the end of the game. It was clear as day. They struggle to keep up and contain our shifts because it doesn't allow them to get line speed and wrestle. Thought we learnt this last year to be honest.

I just find it really disappointing because we've known this for a couple of years now and we knew it after not long in this game, so why didn't we start to play Footy earlier? I really feel the result could have been different if we did. That's on the coaching staff and senior players in my opinion, we need to be better a going to plan B. We're one of the best at throwing the ball around a bit, so why not use it more against teams like the Panthers? Also, we had five regular forwards missing, why did they think that was going to work with an under-manned pack? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Aside from all this though, far too many errors. The boys kept constantly putting themselves under pressure with a 68% completion rate. You're never going to beat them when you're giving them that many opportunities. Very disappointing. The thing is too, I could somewhat understand more errors if we were playing smart and moving the ball around as there's more of a risk to that, but when it's simple dropped balls and loose carries from hit ups, I won't cop that. Need to be so much better in that area. It was a bit of a flaw in our game in 2022, can't have a repeat of that in 2023.

Defence

Our defence in general play was pretty poor I thought. JD put it perfectly when he said we didn't 'step in enough.' For mine, he's mainly alluding to defence there. Hardly had any line speed all night, we weren't aggressive enough with this, nor was our first contact aggressive enough. Often we struggled to put them to ground and generally, we failed to slow the play-the-ball done, which is a result of not doing all these things prior. This was a huge reason for their insane roll on throughout the game. We hardly had a defensive set where we held them inside their 40 meter zone which had another big bearing on the result I feel. 42 missed tackles is simply not good enough for a top side and that's another sign of not 'stepping in.'

Despite this, our actual goal line defence was by far and away the highlight of this contest for me and on a bit of a rough night, certainly the most pleasing thing and a big positive to come out of the game. When you consider all the parts of our game that I've mentioned we got wrong, when you consider how good Penrith were playing (they looked incredible), when you look at how dominant they were in the stats, when you consider we were away from home, the fact that we kept them to just 16 points is simply incredible. We still might not have got the result but honestly, that's one of the best defensive performances I've seen from a Souths side in a number of years. The Panthers were so on and they threw absolutely everything they could at us, yet our lads stood up, played for one another and just kept turning them away and turning them away. They spent so much time down our end over the course of the game and we just lapped up so much of the pressure. Of course, we cracked a few times but that's always going to happen with that much ball for the opposition. And in saying that, their first try was somewhat lucky off that bomb, and the second shouldn't have stood.

So pretty damn happy with our goal line defence, a huge warning shot to the comp and a positive sign moving forward.

Player by Player

L.Mitchell: Gonna be honest, pretty disappointed in his performance to be honest. A huge game like that, we really needed him to stand up and be dominant but he didn't. Went missing for 65 minutes with hardly any involvement at all. He did come up with that try saver on Garner, so credit to him for that as that was a massive play but aside from that, not much to write home about. He did come alive with a big hand in our comeback though. A couple of huge carries where he threatened, great play for AJ's try, and then that incredible flick pass to Tass in the build up to his try. That was simply amazing. But it begs the question, why can't we see more? I love Latrell as much as anyone but I have to admit, I am becoming a bit concerned with his involvement as in his last four games for us (2022 Prelim, Charity Shield, Rounds 1 and 2), he hasn't done much. I'm concerned he's starting to talk the talk but no walk the walk. Need more, simple as that.

Johnston: I thought Aj had a pretty solid game. His carries were all pretty decent, as was his work rate. 12 runs for 129 meters is great from a winger! Can't ask for much more there. Found himself with a bit of room to move a couple of times though and I would have liked to have seem him back himself more and really go for it, looked a bit hesitant. Great finish for his try, had a hand in the lead up to Tass' try too. Defensively he held his own but did get caught out once however, that wasn't soley his fault, our left edge was too compressed. Not a bad night for AJ.

Tass: Impressive. He wasn't perfect or dominant, but he did still impress me at times. Very solid coming out of yardage and got through so much work. 168 meters of it in fact! The most of any Souths player. Did pose a bit of a threat on attack but he did kill a few moments. I counted 3 times that AJ was open, yet Tassy couldn't get the pass away so that's a work on for him. Brilliant, and I mean incredibly brilliant work for his try. Amazing skill to be able to kick ahead like that and score, play of the game for mine. Pretty good without the ball too, made some huge tackles defending the line.

Graham: Fantastic again was big Stretch, he has really gone up a level and proved it once again against the best of the best. Pretty dominant on his side defensively, barely anything got past him and he shut down plenty of Penrith's work. Inspirational in that area. His carries were pretty inspirational too and he managed to crack the 100 meters. Up there with one of our best I think.

Thompson: Bit of a mixed night for Izaac. He did some really great stuff, particularly his carries to get us out of trouble. He's such a great runner of the ball and proved it again on Thursday night on his way to 109 meters. However, there was some negative points to his game and it mostly involves his handling. his handling isn't great, dropped a fair bit of ball which you just can't do. That's a bit work on for him.

Walker: Disappointed in Cody too, much like Latrell. Needed him to step up and lead but he failed to do so. Instead, he fell into the trap again. Penrith baited him, he got angry, the red mist descended and put him off his game. It cost us a lot as he made errors, gave away penalties and as a whole was just largely ineffective. Great pass for AJ's try and his defence was really good but that's about where the positive stuff ends. he needs to be better. He's a senior player and a leader so don't get caught up in the silly shit. Simple as that. Calm Cody is what we need to be at our best. Needs to pull his head in a bit.

Ilias: After being brilliant last week, he didn't really back it up this week. He wasn't bad by any means, just solid that's all. His kicking game was good, apart from the out on the full, some of his bombs were really high. Solid defence and tried his hardest attacking their line. Aside from that, there's not much to say as he didn't get many chances. It's hard for a half to get into the game when you're being dominated through the middle. Same goes for Cody I guess.

callmack1

Staff member
Moale: Didn't look good on Thursday night, looked completely overwhelmed the way I saw it. Maybe it was the injury he's dealing with, maybe it was just the fact that he's young, I don't know but he wasn't great at all.

Cook: Good start for Cooky as he had a few darting runs but that was about it for him for the night. Aside from that, Penrith did a very good job of containing him. Had basically no chances. Still played very well with his service and defence though so can't knock him too much.

Burgess: Pretty good game up front for Tommy. We know he's better off the bench but he handled Thursday night well and looked pretty strong in both his stints. Really tried his hardest and tried to lead the way in a beaten pack. 114 meters, 13 runs and 20 tackles which isn't bad, probably one of our better forwards.

Chee Kam: Another who you could say was probably one of our better forwards and the way Cheeks has started the year has been impressive. Just like last week, he didn't do anything brilliant but did his job to perfection. Only 73 meters which is a little low but he was very solid in both attack and defence. A ripper of an offload to help send AJ over!

Koloamatangi: have seen a number of people saying Keaon was one of our best but I can't see it personally. That's not a knock on Keaon, just that I wouldn't put him in our three best players on Thursday night. Watched the replay and couldn't pick out anything particularly special in what he did. He just did his job and did it well which is good. However, just doing your job is a bit under what we have come to expect from Keaon.

Murray: Even Cam was a bit off his game on Thursday night. Our pack was beaten and it seemed to take it's toll on him fatigue wise. JD took him off for a very long spell as a result. He tried his absolute guts out as always, some very strong carries and super busy in defence but I just felt like he wasn't as effective as normal due to the way the game was going.

Taaffe: I was all for Taaffey on the bench when the Season started but it needs to end. Again on Thursday he came on and provided absolutely nothing but a dropped ball in a big moment. No impact at all, no game changing ability. That's not really Taaffey's fault, it's just the way the game went, he wasn't really needed.

Cartwright: It was his first game back in a long time so probably should give him the benefit of the doubt but he was pretty average, didn't look up to scratch at all. A couple of good carries but made a poor error which put us under pressure and had two terrible tackle attempts. The first was on the Garner no try. Gets caught drifting out slightly and doesn't have his eyes on his man, fails to put his body in front, very very poor. Lucky that was a no try. The second was on the try just before half time. Turns his back when Garner loses the ball because he doesn't play to the whistle. Then a poor attempt once he realised Luai was coming. Jed fully could have stopped Luai but failed. very poor stuff.

S.Mitchell: Outstanding again!!!! A huge game from Shaq. Really put his hand up and lead the way against a dominant pack. Strong carry after strong carry, 15 of them in fact as he just kept going. Really tried to stick it to them on his way to 155 meters. So proud of him, he was our best player the other night.

Suluka-Fifita: Not too much to talk about but I thought he was pretty solid on return.

All in all, a very frustrating night for us as we go down to Penrith again. For me, it's a real case of what could have been. We weren't good enough on the night, simple as that but there was a few big factors that contributed. Missing five forwards, a flawed game plan, errors and a biased ref.

It was all against us but we did well. I'm certainly not disheartened. I'm proud. If anything, that game just proves we are one of the best in the comp this year.

But being proud isn't good enough when you're chasing a Premiership and being one of the best isn't good enough. We want to be THE best.

Learn from it and march on lads! She's a big one next week.

Thumper

Juniors
His parents are his legal guardians, if they are raising racist kids, they can attend the course.

I’d still ban the little prick.

Even when a lot of the Panther players turned into the sex criminal loving perverts, they weren’t on any racist bus.

Latrell sucks, but nothing to do with race or culture. He hurt Manu.
He didn’t hurt manu. He f**king crushed him. We love him end of.

Thumper

Juniors
Moale: Didn't look good on Thursday night, looked completely overwhelmed the way I saw it. Maybe it was the injury he's dealing with, maybe it was just the fact that he's young, I don't know but he wasn't great at all.

Cook: Good start for Cooky as he had a few darting runs but that was about it for him for the night. Aside from that, Penrith did a very good job of containing him. Had basically no chances. Still played very well with his service and defence though so can't knock him too much.

Burgess: Pretty good game up front for Tommy. We know he's better off the bench but he handled Thursday night well and looked pretty strong in both his stints. Really tried his hardest and tried to lead the way in a beaten pack. 114 meters, 13 runs and 20 tackles which isn't bad, probably one of our better forwards.

Chee Kam: Another who you could say was probably one of our better forwards and the way Cheeks has started the year has been impressive. Just like last week, he didn't do anything brilliant but did his job to perfection. Only 73 meters which is a little low but he was very solid in both attack and defence. A ripper of an offload to help send AJ over!

Koloamatangi: have seen a number of people saying Keaon was one of our best but I can't see it personally. That's not a knock on Keaon, just that I wouldn't put him in our three best players on Thursday night. Watched the replay and couldn't pick out anything particularly special in what he did. He just did his job and did it well which is good. However, just doing your job is a bit under what we have come to expect from Keaon.

Murray: Even Cam was a bit off his game on Thursday night. Our pack was beaten and it seemed to take it's toll on him fatigue wise. JD took him off for a very long spell as a result. He tried his absolute guts out as always, some very strong carries and super busy in defence but I just felt like he wasn't as effective as normal due to the way the game was going.

Taaffe: I was all for Taaffey on the bench when the Season started but it needs to end. Again on Thursday he came on and provided absolutely nothing but a dropped ball in a big moment. No impact at all, no game changing ability. That's not really Taaffey's fault, it's just the way the game went, he wasn't really needed.

Cartwright: It was his first game back in a long time so probably should give him the benefit of the doubt but he was pretty average, didn't look up to scratch at all. A couple of good carries but made a poor error which put us under pressure and had two terrible tackle attempts. The first was on the Garner no try. Gets caught drifting out slightly and doesn't have his eyes on his man, fails to put his body in front, very very poor. Lucky that was a no try. The second was on the try just before half time. Turns his back when Garner loses the ball because he doesn't play to the whistle. Then a poor attempt once he realised Luai was coming. Jed fully could have stopped Luai but failed. very poor stuff.

S.Mitchell: Outstanding again!!!! A huge game from Shaq. Really put his hand up and lead the way against a dominant pack. Strong carry after strong carry, 15 of them in fact as he just kept going. Really tried to stick it to them on his way to 155 meters. So proud of him, he was our best player the other night.

Suluka-Fifita: Not too much to talk about but I thought he was pretty solid on return.

All in all, a very frustrating night for us as we go down to Penrith again. For me, it's a real case of what could have been. We weren't good enough on the night, simple as that but there was a few big factors that contributed. Missing five forwards, a flawed game plan, errors and a biased ref.

It was all against us but we did well. I'm certainly not disheartened. I'm proud. If anything, that game just proves we are one of the best in the comp this year.

But being proud isn't good enough when you're chasing a Premiership and being one of the best isn't good enough. We want to be THE best.

Learn from it and march on lads! She's a big one next week.
100% chee kam was one of our best.
I get the proud but not good enough calls. But take 5 forwards out of any team and see how they do. We have injuries. That’s life. Just like 2010 or 11. We were 3rd half way through the year. Our injury toll was horrific. We had Nathan peats starting in the back row. It happens. Let’s be happy it’s now and not in September.