What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the NRL needs to do

This sport is such a country bumpkin in terms of business. We have the greatest game in the world from a spectator perspective and we now have over 100 years of miss management of that sport. We have a great game administered by idiots.

The NRL must create and nurture more quality talent, capable of playing at first-grade level, in order to sustain two new teams. It’s been confirmed that both states will run their own U-20s competitions, replacing the national U-20s competition, so there will be a healthy amount of talent coming through the lower grade ranks. The responsibility lies with the NRL, QRL and NSWRL to ensure players have clear pathways to first grade.

By 2022, the NRL should expand in rugby league heartland areas on the NSW Central Coast and the Ipswich-Logan Corridor (west of Brisbane), as well as seeing two Sydney teams relocating to the non-rugby league cities of Perth and Adelaide.

I’ll reserve my opinion on which teams should relocate, but the reality is, no Sydney team turns over a profit and the game as a whole in the city has stagnated badly.

It would be logical for a team like the Cronulla Sharks, who according to Roy Morgan research conducted by Fox Sports have the lowest number of fans of all the Sydney clubs, and are based in an area with a population of only 200,000.

To continue using Cronulla as an example, they should look to relocate to Perth, with a population of 2.5 million, or Adelaide, with a population of 1.5 million, and have either the entire West Coast or South Australia all to themselves. They would keep their loyal fans from the Shire and gain hundreds of thousands of new followers.

A relocated team in Perth would benefit from thousands of additional club memberships, endless corporate sponsorship opportunities as a standalone rugby league club based in a capital city, the golden opportunity to take advantage of Rugby AU’s decision to scrap the Western Force Super Rugby franchise, and the ability to grow the game in AFL heartland – including the potential recruitment of AFL juniors.

Given the time difference, the majority of their home games should be ‘family friendly’ afternoon-twighlight times, which would air during prime time in the eastern states. Their home ground would likely be the rectangular, 20,500 seat capacity nib Stadium or the WACA.

Similar to the Sydney Swans, who were originally South Melbourne, who were a foundation club of the (then) VFL. Hasn’t seemed to hurt them in the long term. They are now getting a huge amount of air play in the Harbour city and little kiddies are chosing AFL to play over all other sports due to auskick,

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Relocations never work as intended (the Swans are case where it was particularly successful, but only because the AFL has consistently given them leg-ups since their founding), and the clubs and their brands are more valuable in Sydney than in Perth or Adelaide. So yeah, Perth and Adelaide don't need relocated clubs to be successful so let Perth and Adelaide develop their own identities and keep any Sydney clubs where they are, well geographically speaking...

The NRL is developing more than enough talent to support 4-6 more NRL teams, hell just take all the players that head to England looking for opportunity and drop them into the new NRL teams and you're good, and that is without taking fringe first graders looking for a real opportunity in the NRL, Super League players, the relatively huge untapped depths of talent in the PI's, RU players in Aus, NZ, and the PI's that could be convinced to code hop for the cash, or other opportunities that exist in the world that have been completely unexplored by the NRL and NRL clubs (off cut collage athletes that didn't make it in the US and/or Canada, South African RU players (there're going to be a lot of Saffas looking to get out of SA very soon if things keep going the way they are over there), potential development programs similar to those in the PI's in other third world countries and regions around the world), etc into account.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that junior development should be ignored, only that as things stands the NRL is in a pretty good place when it comes to depth of talent, in such a good place in fact that it's turning a ton of talent away cause it doesn't have enough space to fit them into the system.

Also the CC is never getting an NRL club, it simply isn't viable unless it leans on the Sydney market to prop it's self up and the NRL simply can't afford to put more pressure on an over saturated market like the Sydney market at the moment.
It's a pipe dream the sooner the NRL comes out and tells them that the better for everybody involved.

taipan

Referee
This sport is such a country bumpkin in terms of business. We have the greatest game in the world from a spectator perspective and we now have over 100 years of miss management of that sport. We have a great game administered by idiots.

The NRL must create and nurture more quality talent, capable of playing at first-grade level, in order to sustain two new teams. It’s been confirmed that both states will run their own U-20s competitions, replacing the national U-20s competition, so there will be a healthy amount of talent coming through the lower grade ranks. The responsibility lies with the NRL, QRL and NSWRL to ensure players have clear pathways to first grade.

By 2022, the NRL should expand in rugby league heartland areas on the NSW Central Coast and the Ipswich-Logan Corridor (west of Brisbane), as well as seeing two Sydney teams relocating to the non-rugby league cities of Perth and Adelaide.

I’ll reserve my opinion on which teams should relocate, but the reality is, no Sydney team turns over a profit and the game as a whole in the city has stagnated badly.

It would be logical for a team like the Cronulla Sharks, who according to Roy Morgan research conducted by Fox Sports have the lowest number of fans of all the Sydney clubs, and are based in an area with a population of only 200,000.

To continue using Cronulla as an example, they should look to relocate to Perth, with a population of 2.5 million, or Adelaide, with a population of 1.5 million, and have either the entire West Coast or South Australia all to themselves. They would keep their loyal fans from the Shire and gain hundreds of thousands of new followers.

A relocated team in Perth would benefit from thousands of additional club memberships, endless corporate sponsorship opportunities as a standalone rugby league club based in a capital city, the golden opportunity to take advantage of Rugby AU’s decision to scrap the Western Force Super Rugby franchise, and the ability to grow the game in AFL heartland – including the potential recruitment of AFL juniors.

Given the time difference, the majority of their home games should be ‘family friendly’ afternoon-twighlight times, which would air during prime time in the eastern states. Their home ground would likely be the rectangular, 20,500 seat capacity nib Stadium or the WACA.

Similar to the Sydney Swans, who were originally South Melbourne, who were a foundation club of the (then) VFL. Hasn’t seemed to hurt them in the long term. They are now getting a huge amount of air play in the Harbour city and little kiddies are chosing AFL to play over all other sports due to auskick,

With respect ,you lost it as an example,suggesting the Sharks would keep their loyal fans in the Shire ,(population Shire in anycase is over 231,000 now) and expected to hit 266,000 by the 30s.
That's not the point, there are tens of thousand scattered around the east coast of this country.Over 65,000 attended the 2016 Grand final.Many Shire people have moved North to the coast,GC and Sunshine Coast ,as well as the Central Coast,and Nth NSW.They have emotional ties with the area in which the Sharks exist.
I could not unless the club was in a dark hole ,follow a relocated Sharks out of pins on maps routine.I can assure you I am not alone.
It may well have happened when the Sharks were in such a state ,when the ARL was in charge,they were about to close the doors.
The NRL have also stated, there will be no more propping up of clubs.Thus if NRL clubs are viable,it's absolute lunacy to move them.

Rugby League fans from experience (and I've been following RK for a hell of a long time)are not like AFL fans, they lose a club ,have a club merged, they don't loyally jump on the bandwagon of a new entity or look to another club.
Some will, but a hell of a lot don't as South Sydney fans showed.Rest assured from people on these threads and general observations ,a relocation of the Sharks,who actually own their ground is not going to translate into stick on fans.The result is you win some in WA, you lose similar numbers and more here.

You cannot compared it to the Swans(unless the Sharks or any Sydney club for that matter are unable to financially continue in Sydney).The Swans were in deep dark stuff in Melbourne ,and had no real future remaining.They arrived in 82 had their fair share of financial issues, then Super League came along and a whole heap of rl fans were p*ssed off,Then they got a grand final,AFL threw in money ,allowed them to snaffle top line players, had a very snugly media to assist.None of those factors will be in vogue in WA.
The AFL has never experienced a situation where their competition was ripped asunder and people lost to the game, and the game losing its financial war chest.

And I'm sure the people of WA would much prefer a home grown club with their own identity,rather than one being parachuted in.I agree with the time zone factor.I am for a WA club and another.

The NRL is expected to make $50m plus this year, so all those little kiddies in the Southern and Western states, will get more opportunities to play League Tag,Touch and Tackle.Where they actually are show catching the ball is a skill, losing it is not.
In fact the ARLC have appointed Dr Amanda Green (who spent 4 years as GM of people and performance with the Richmond Tigers)to Chair the rugby league code in Victoria.She is also a director of global accounting firm PwC.

And the realisation that people get hurt ,and badly in AFL at times,as evidenced in the last few days,that everything they show on Auskick ,doesn't reflect what can happen later.
The NRL really and possibly due to financial restraints has been sitting on their backsides doing not much on grassroots in schools.They have given the AFL a free kick for years, now it's the NRL's opportunity to return serve.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst Im no great advocate of the NRL's management ability I think you are being a bit harsh in your criticism of them Storms. They have managed to grow their revenue from around $150mill a year to $500mill plus this year in less than 15 years, that is pretty impressive growth for any business. And its not all been in media money.

What we now need to see is a plan for the next ten years and how to best invest this wealth to make sure the game is where it wants to be for the future. Undertandbly the NRL's top priority has been in making their 16 clubs that generate most of the money sustainable. Bit early to tell if they have achieved that with the massive grant increase above salary cap but we should know in next two years.

We look avg when we compare ourselves next to AFL in terms of revenue, fanbase, national reach and profile etc but if you dont compare directly with them, then NRL is actually doing very well in a relatively small country in world sport league comparisons.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also the CC is never getting an NRL club, it simply isn't viable unless it leans on the Sydney market to prop it's self up and the NRL simply can't afford to put more pressure on an over saturated market like the Sydney market at the moment.
It's a pipe dream the sooner the NRL comes out and tells them that the better for everybody involved.

TBF they have. Hence why the Bears have given upon the CC. Perth they told us in 2012 to stop worrying about an NRL team and build our elite jnr development programs which we have been doing. Adelaide is a decade away at least, Brisbane2 no idea what the NRL's thoughts are but given the Bombers puling the plug it would suggest they dont want to go in that direction. I still think the NRL's preference would be to see someone like Manly go bust and give the license to Perth and stick at 16 mouths to feed.

The Great Dane

First Grade
TBF they have. Hence why the Bears have given upon the CC. Perth they told us in 2012 to stop worrying about an NRL team and build our elite jnr development programs which we have been doing.

I meant that they needed to come out publicly and say that it's not happening so there's no doubt and we can stop with the false hope, BS articles, and talking points every couple of years spouting that 'the Bears are buying a license and taking games to the CC' and the such.

Adelaide is a decade away at least

Why?

With the right backing and support from the NRL Adelaide could support a club tomorrow, it probably wouldn't be a massive success overnight but if that's your standard then you better give up on any expansion plans cause it's an unrealistic standard.

If you are suggesting that Adelaide needs a full juniors system or whatever in place before they can have an NRL team then again you'd better give up on them (and most other expansion areas) cause it's an unrealistic expectation in their case.

Brisbane2 no idea what the NRL's thoughts are but given the Bombers puling the plug it would suggest they dont want to go in that direction.

The Bombers haven't pulled the plug so I don't know what you are on about, but even if they had it'd say nothing about the NRL's intentions.

I still think the NRL's preference would be to see someone like Manly go bust and give the license to Perth and stick at 16 mouths to feed.

Then they're idiots for more reasons than I care to mention... That isn't the feeling I get from the NRL when it comes to expansion anyway, for a start they are way too Sydney-centric and scared of the media backlash in Sydney to even think of holding a stance like that.
I think they just have a misplaced sense of once bitten twice shy, and that eventually they'll build up the courage to expand again, but because of that tentativeness they'll completely bungle expansion cause they will have missed the opportune moments to expand within the markets they want to expand to and will have left it to late to capitalise, in other words they'll do everything the hard way then use that as an excuse to be scared of expansion again.

flippikat

Bench
I still think the NRL's preference would be to see someone like Manly go bust and give the license to Perth and stick at 16 mouths to feed.

I think you may be onto something there. The NRL have already said they're not going to do any more bailouts - so what happens (for instance) if a Sydney club breaks the salary cap, and can't pay the fine?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think you may be onto something there. The NRL have already said they're not going to do any more bailouts - so what happens (for instance) if a Sydney club breaks the salary cap, and can't pay the fine?

Well considering that the Sharks are the current culprits that have been caught they'll be let off the hook with a slap on the wrist...

I mean considering that employees at the Sharks systematically administered prohibited drugs to their players and the only real penalty that they got was a three week ban in the off-season and their coach got a year off, I think they ain't got nothing to worry about cause somebody at the Sharks must have incriminating photos of somebody...
If the Sharks were Olympians then all of the players involved would have got a minimum of a 4 year ban, Flanagan (and probably a handful of other coaches and administrators at the Sharks) would have got a life ban and probably would have been charged with negligence in the duty of care (so potentially jail time, though realistically just a hefty fine), the Sharks would have been sued by everybody and anybody involved, and Steven Dank would've got jail time.
Lets put it this way, the Russians punish their athletes that are caught drug cheating more harshly for getting caught than the Sharks did and everybody and their dog knows that the Russian government endorses their drug cheating!

Also considering that the last couple of clubs that have been caught red handed cheating the cap have been let off with a relative slap on the wrist as well (especially the Broncos) I don't think there is much to this, unless you are suggesting that the NRL may treat some clubs more harshly than others, in which case it's the clubs without any power at the NRL like the Raiders, Titans, Warriors, etc, that you have to worry about and not any of the Sydney clubs...

Sorry for the rant, but I feel like it needed to be said.

taipan

Referee
Well considering that the Sharks are the current culprits that have been caught they'll be let off the hook with a slap on the wrist...

I mean considering that employees at the Sharks systematically administered prohibited drugs to their players and the only real penalty that they got was a three week ban in the off-season and their coach got a year off, I think they ain't got nothing to worry about cause somebody at the Sharks must have incriminating photos of somebody...
If the Sharks were Olympians then all of the players involved would have got a minimum of a 4 year ban, Flanagan (and probably a handful of other coaches and administrators at the Sharks) would have got a life ban and probably would have been charged with negligence in the duty of care (so potentially jail time, though realistically just a hefty fine), the Sharks would have been sued by everybody and anybody involved, and Steven Dank would've got jail time.
Lets put it this way, the Russians punish their athletes that are caught drug cheating more harshly for getting caught than the Sharks did and everybody and their dog knows that the Russian government endorses their drug cheating!

Also considering that the last couple of clubs that have been caught red handed cheating the cap have been let off with a relative slap on the wrist as well (especially the Broncos) I don't think there is much to this, unless you are suggesting that the NRL may treat some clubs more harshly than others, in which case it's the clubs without any power at the NRL like the Raiders, Titans, Warriors, etc, that you have to worry about and not any of the Sydney clubs...

Sorry for the rant, but I feel like it needed to be said.

Current culprits yes, yet self reported by the new CEO,and the amount so far is minimal.With claims made by the player mgr the NRL had been advised.Let's not jump the gun re hypotheticals.The extent of the excess on the cap yet to be announced.

The facts are you go over the cap by large amounts you get hit accordingly,far lesser amounts the penalty is a lot less.That's how it currently stands.I think you need to get a history of salary cap blowouts over the years even since 2000 and just about every clubs has their share ,some large.Someone has outlined them in a thread here.
The media have suddenly gone silent on the issue, which is rather strange,especially with so called impeccable sources.They went overboard at the start stating the figure was $250,000 ,now it's a $50,000 figure involving Heino.Good old media, go gangbusters before getting the facts.

You drive a car DUI .06,the penalty is a lot less ,than being twice the legal limited.If I had my way I'd make all lower limit DUI spend two weeks doing civic service and visiting hospitals for accident victims.

There are degrees of illegal acts,and they are treated by the law of the land

Seeing you decided to bring this up ,and this will be the case whilst ever the game is played.
The Sharks did systematically administer a banned drug, no dispute nor defence from me ,I was appalled and shattered by the revelation.
However they are not Olympians and are signatories to WADA.If they were,they'd have to accept whatever ban was needed.The analogy is not applicable, even for effect.
The action happened over a 3-4 months before the doctor found out and stopped the action.The action with Essendon was over the season.
Both Hird and Flannagan received 12 months bans.Other Sharks football people received bans.
The Assistant manager Essendon 6 months
The Assistant coach a $30,000 fine.

The Shark's players suspensions were backdated meaning a few weeks,instead of 12 months.Reasons I suggest the co operation by the NRL and the Shark's officialdom, and NRL CEO Smith providing ASADA the full details ,keeping them up to date with facts etc.If ASADA hadn't;t approved,the players would have not had the backdating.

The female head of ASADA in Australia in a book ATT ,noted the NRL was fully up front on the matter, whereas Essendon appeared at times obstructive, making assessment difficult.She noted the NRL was more professional in handling the matter.
You only have to read the toing and froing between Essendon and the AFL Administration.Buckpassing appeared to come into play.

The Sharks club was fined a substantial amount by the NRL,it lost sponsors as a result just like Olympians,and the players and coach have to wear this til they drop off the perch.In fact a number of players sued the club and received undisclosed compensation.The full cost to the club has not been spelt out ,it runs into well over a couple of million.Legals thrown in and recompense for players who sued.

I hardly think financially a wet lettuce penalty was applied to the Sharks.And ASADA in fact had no issues with the backdating of the players involved.
I doubt the Sharks has the power you like to perceive it has.Clubs like the Roosters,Broncos,Eels,Dogs and the Dragons are the real power behind the throne ,if you will.They certainly don't have the big business backing, nor teh fanbase of these I noted.

Just my 50c worth from the other side of the fence.

Oh an if it it shown the Sharks have deliberately flaunted the salary cap, then their grant should be reduce accordingly, based on the figure involved.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Current culprits yes, yet self reported by the new CEO,and the amount so far is minimal.With claims made by the player mgr the NRL had been advised.Let's not jump the gun re hypotheticals.The extent of the excess on the cap yet to be announced.

The facts are you go over the cap by large amounts you get hit accordingly,far lesser amounts the penalty is a lot less.That's how it currently stands.I think you need to get a history of salary cap blowouts over the years even since 2000 and just about every clubs has their share ,some large.Someone has outlined them in a thread here.
The media have suddenly gone silent on the issue, which is rather strange,especially with so called impeccable sources.They went overboard at the start stating the figure was $250,000 ,now it's a $50,000 figure involving Heino.Good old media, go gangbusters before getting the facts.

You drive a car DUI .06,the penalty is a lot less ,than being twice the legal limited.If I had my way I'd make all lower limit DUI spend two weeks doing civic service and visiting hospitals for accident victims.

There are degrees of illegal acts,and they are treated by the law of the land

Seeing you decided to bring this up ,and this will be the case whilst ever the game is played.
The Sharks did systematically administer a banned drug, no dispute nor defence from me ,I was appalled and shattered by the revelation.
However they are not Olympians and are signatories to WADA.If they were,they'd have to accept whatever ban was needed.The analogy is not applicable, even for effect.
The action happened over a 3-4 months before the doctor found out and stopped the action.The action with Essendon was over the season.
Both Hird and Flannagan received 12 months bans.Other Sharks football people received bans.
The Assistant manager Essendon 6 months
The Assistant coach a $30,000 fine.

The Shark's players suspensions were backdated meaning a few weeks,instead of 12 months.Reasons I suggest the co operation by the NRL and the Shark's officialdom, and NRL CEO Smith providing ASADA the full details ,keeping them up to date with facts etc.If ASADA hadn't;t approved,the players would have not had the backdating.

The female head of ASADA in Australia in a book ATT ,noted the NRL was fully up front on the matter, whereas Essendon appeared at times obstructive, making assessment difficult.She noted the NRL was more professional in handling the matter.
You only have to read the toing and froing between Essendon and the AFL Administration.Buckpassing appeared to come into play.

The Sharks club was fined a substantial amount by the NRL,it lost sponsors as a result just like Olympians,and the players and coach have to wear this til they drop off the perch.In fact a number of players sued the club and received undisclosed compensation.The full cost to the club has not been spelt out ,it runs into well over a couple of million.Legals thrown in and recompense for players who sued.

I hardly think financially a wet lettuce penalty was applied to the Sharks.And ASADA in fact had no issues with the backdating of the players involved.
I doubt the Sharks has the power you like to perceive it has.Clubs like the Roosters,Broncos,Eels,Dogs and the Dragons are the real power behind the throne ,if you will.They certainly don't have the big business backing, nor teh fanbase of these I noted.

Just my 50c worth from the other side of the fence.

Oh an if it it shown the Sharks have deliberately flaunted the salary cap, then their grant should be reduce accordingly, based on the figure involved.

Look I don't really want to get into this cause it's beside the point I was making (that in the NRL if you are the right people or you know the right people the rules are bent for you), but everything you have written is just apologia, and really bad apologia at that, and frankly you must know it!

When it comes to the drug cheating none of your excuses matter, if an Olympian used them they'd be laughed at and have it explained to them that ignorance of ingesting the illegal substance, the duration of the cheating, how cooperative they were once they were caught, etc, etc, doesn't matter and the WADA rules are specifically designed so that is clear, then they would have been handed out their bans and hammered into the ground.
The Sharks effectively got away with blue murder and they only got away with it because of a mixture of local politics and because WADA couldn't be bothered to pursue them cause they didn't see it as having any significant effect on international sport (i.e. it wasn't worth their time).

BTW the Olympic Committee are signatories to WADA, in fact they founded WADA, so I don't know why you think that they aren't... Also and again speaking frankly, considering the circumstances of the drug cheating the Sharks premiership should have an absolutely massive asterisk next to it, cause if it wasn't for some dodgy politicking, a shit ton of luck, and if we are honest if Sandor Earl and to an extent Essendon weren't there to take the fall, the Sharks wouldn't have that premiership and odds on would've gone bankrupt from the court fees and paying everybody that sued them the living shit out of them...

On the cap cheating...

Where they over the cap- yes, where they over the cap for years- almost certainly, where they over the cap in a year that they won a premiership- almost certainly, would they have had the team that they had if they weren't over the cap- no, do I (or anyone with half a brain and not blinded by one-eyedness) believe that the beaching of the cap was just some strange accident or an unfortunate accounting error that nobody at the club knew about- definitely not.

Frankly, I don't for a second believe that the Sharks aren't over the cap right now, along with three quarters of the comp mind you (especially considering that somehow they and clubs like them can afford a team of star players with a relatively huge amount of depth and yet somehow are supposedly 500k under the cap, when the Raiders (and other teams like them) can't afford to keep a team a good three quarters of which shouldn't be playing first grade at all under the cap!). I also don't believe that they self reported out of the goodness of their heart and a guilty conscience, not for a second, they have an angle in self reporting (probably something along the lines of they thought somebody was onto them, so they fessed up in the hopes that the penalty wouldn't be as harsh) we'll probably never know what that angle is, but they've almost certainly got one.

Anyhow the point is that they were over the cap and the NRL is already playing it down in the hope that it doesn't cause waves that effect the competition, I've got no doubt that they'll try to keep things that way if at all possible, where's if it was a club with less power at the NRL and/or ARLC, one that is a little out of sight out of mind, that has less say in things, and had less backing in the media, etc, they already would have been made an example of...

Look I've got nothing against the Sharks or Sharks fans, really I don't, I'm just being honest about what happened and what they were involved in, and it's some ugly shit, ugly shit that you wouldn't be happy about either if any team other than the Sharks was involved with it if you are honest with yourself...

Roosters,Broncos,Eels,Dogs and the Dragons are the real power behind the throne ,if you will.

It's relative isn't it...

Sure the Roosters and Broncos have more power than the Sharks, but when you're sitting where teams like the Raiders and Titans are sitting it doesn't make that much difference does it!?.
If the Broncos, Roosters, etc are advisers to the king than the Sharks, Tigers, etc are esteemed noble men, where relatively speaking the Raiders, Titans, etc are peasants whose wishes and concerns are never heard at all, and from the perspective of the peasant basically every class above them lives like a king...

And since they were almost certainly cheating during 2016 and it effected their 2016 campaign they should have their premiership stripped from them... Just like the Storm right!

taipan

Referee
Look I don't really want to get into this cause it's beside the point I was making (that in the NRL if you are the right people or you know the right people the rules are bent for you), but everything you have written is just apologia, and really bad apologia at that, and frankly you must know it!

When it comes to the drug cheating none of your excuses matter, if an Olympian used them they'd be laughed at and have it explained to them that ignorance of ingesting the illegal substance, the duration of the cheating, how cooperative they were once they were caught, etc, etc, doesn't matter and the WADA rules are specifically designed so that is clear, then they would have been handed out their bans and hammered into the ground.
The Sharks effectively got away with blue murder and they only got away with it because of a mixture of local politics and because WADA couldn't be bothered to pursue them cause they didn't see it as having any significant effect on international sport (i.e. it wasn't worth their time).

BTW the Olympic Committee are signatories to WADA, in fact they founded WADA, so I don't know why you think that they aren't... Also and again speaking frankly, considering the circumstances of the drug cheating the Sharks premiership should have an absolutely massive asterisk next to it, cause if it wasn't for some dodgy politicking, a shit ton of luck, and if we are honest if Sandor Earl and to an extent Essendon weren't there to take the fall, the Sharks wouldn't have that premiership and odds on would've gone bankrupt from the court fees and paying everybody that sued them the living shit out of them...

On the cap cheating...

Where they over the cap- yes, where they over the cap for years- almost certainly, where they over the cap in a year that they won a premiership- almost certainly, would they have had the team that they had if they weren't over the cap- no, do I (or anyone with half a brain and not blinded by one-eyedness) believe that the beaching of the cap was just some strange accident or an unfortunate accounting error that nobody at the club knew about- definitely not.

Frankly, I don't for a second believe that the Sharks aren't over the cap right now, along with three quarters of the comp mind you (especially considering that somehow they and clubs like them can afford a team of star players with a relatively huge amount of depth and yet somehow are supposedly 500k under the cap, when the Raiders (and other teams like them) can't afford to keep a team a good three quarters of which shouldn't be playing first grade at all under the cap!). I also don't believe that they self reported out of the goodness of their heart and a guilty conscience, not for a second, they have an angle in self reporting (probably something along the lines of they thought somebody was onto them, so they fessed up in the hopes that the penalty wouldn't be as harsh) we'll probably never know what that angle is, but they've almost certainly got one.

Anyhow the point is that they were over the cap and the NRL is already playing it down in the hope that it doesn't cause waves that effect the competition, I've got no doubt that they'll try to keep things that way if at all possible, where's if it was a club with less power at the NRL and/or ARLC, one that is a little out of sight out of mind, that has less say in things, and had less backing in the media, etc, they already would have been made an example of...

Look I've got nothing against the Sharks or Sharks fans, really I don't, I'm just being honest about what happened and what they were involved in, and it's some ugly shit, ugly shit that you wouldn't be happy about either if any team other than the Sharks was involved with it if you are honest with yourself...

Sure the Roosters and Broncos have more power than the Sharks, but when you're sitting where teams like the Raiders and Titans are sitting it doesn't make that much difference does it!?.
If the Broncos, Roosters, etc are advisers to the king than the Sharks, Tigers, etc are esteemed noble men, where relatively speaking the Raiders, Titans, etc are peasants whose wishes and concerns are never heard at all, and from the perspective of the peasant basically every class above them lives like a king...

And since they were almost certainly cheating during 2016 and it effected their 2016 campaign they should have their premiership stripped from them... Just like the Storm right!

The Titans who have been saved by the NRL by financially propping them up for a few years,til they found buyers .You think the Sharks would get propped up now ,under the same circumstances/
The fact also that club is in a city of 550,000 and has an AFL competitor also puts then Titans in a position of being vital to the code.Regardless of all the dramas and ill feeling at one stage in the community due to the Centre of Excellence debacle.

And as for Canberra ,the same situation applies, they are not vulnerable ,even if they had financial issues,becsuae they represent a large area including the Riverina,there is also an AFL presence (GWS) albeit for about 4 matches, and the Brumbies.

So from where I sit it's evident ,I see teams in areas I would feel had a far better chance of long term security ,than Sydney clubs which includes my own.IOW when it comes to influence with the NRL,they are hardly in a position of weakness, for the reasons I outlined.

"And since they were most certainly cheating the cap in 2016",you don't know if that's the case,neither do I,neither does the media .So to justify something by inference ,without evidence,is not right but wrong.
And you cite the Storm ,where it was spelt out, shown, not hinted at.You make comparisons when nothing has been verified for 2016,enter hanging judge.
And guess what I'm being honest.

Eion

First Grade

On the cap cheating...

You raise the olympics when the entire country of Russia have a current systematic drug cheating cloud hanging over their heads and they are still allowed to compete?

Then whinge about the sharks 2016 comp win based on a 10 week period of dodgy snake oil back in 2011.

The sharks copped an ‘unknowingly took a banned substance’ reduced sentence because the governing bodies couldn’t prove a damn thing, and they knew it, which is why WADA signed off on it.

And given the raiders cap rorting of the 90’s when they were over and winning comps, probably best to leave the 2018 sharks cap issue to someone else who doesn’t have a house with every window broken.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You raise the olympics when the entire country of Russia have a current systematic drug cheating cloud hanging over their heads and they are still allowed to compete?

Then whinge about the sharks 2016 comp win based on a 10 week period of dodgy snake oil back in 2011.

The sharks copped an ‘unknowingly took a banned substance’ reduced sentence because the governing bodies couldn’t prove a damn thing, and they knew it, which is why WADA signed off on it.

And given the raiders cap rorting of the 90’s when they were over and winning comps, probably best to leave the 2018 sharks cap issue to someone else who doesn’t have a house with every window broken.

No they're not, Russia are banned from competing, their deputy prime minister is banned from any Olympic event for life, they were fined $19.7million and only "clean" athletes are allowed to compete but not represent their country.

None of which has anything to do with expansion lol

The OP suggestion that a perth team could play at the WACA should tell you all you need to know about the amount of RL knowledge the poster has!

Eion

First Grade
No they're not, Russia are banned from competing, their deputy prime minister is banned from any Olympic event for life, they were fined $19.7million and only "clean" athletes are allowed to compete but not represent their country.

None of which has anything to do with expansion lol

The OP suggestion that a perth team could play at the WACA should tell you all you need to know about the amount of RL knowledge the poster has!
Oh yes, plenty of ‘clean’ athletes left in Russia.

And ironic you’re worried about a thread derailing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would if I was, but I never am.

Just like I’m right to point out that you still don’t have a club to support.

My club was formed in 1882. What do you mean I dont have a club to support? So like your russia aren't banned comment you are wrong again. Want to go for a trifecta?

Eion

First Grade
My club was formed in 1882. What do you mean I dont have a club to support? So like your russia aren't banned comment you are wrong again. Want to go for a trifecta?
I must be imagining your boring and repetitive crap clogging up this Australian Rugby League site then.

Spose you’ve worn out your welcome with your 1882 club which is why you’re festering here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yawn
I must be imagining your boring and repetitive crap clogging up this Australian Rugby League site then.

Spose you’ve worn out your welcome with your 1882 club which is why you’re festering here.
yawn