What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game day vs Raider

ghoti

Bench
We were stifled by being in their line for half the game.. showed a huge flaw in that 'slingshot' pattern that we're over-reliant on.. only effective when we're rolling through a broken line. Canberra knew exactly what we wanted to do when we were going to do it, so a lotta credit to them for absolutely smothering the shit out of our attacking structure. I would hesitate even to single players out because it was just a total rabble across the park.. it's beyond dropping a few guys who underperformed, but can't see where the fix lies. Frustrating and boring ass game reminds me of the few Ipswich games I watched after they'd been figured out a few years back..

Crush

Coach
What the hell did we witness today? You’d swear the Sharks were on the piss last night, there needs to be an investigation.
Dragons suck like that most weeks but didn’t see that performance coming today from Sharks, it was as bad as I’ve seen for a while.
Horrible.

Right, here is the presser. Fast forward to the 17th minute, that's where it starts.
Fitz will give you the reasons why Miller wasn't chosen, it's the exact reason that I had said. He'd been out injured and not playing, and Trindall had been around the teaml more.

Come next week I think you will find that Miller gets his chance.
Fitz puts it into real perspective, the whole game. It's a great presser.

What the hell did we witness today? You’d swear the Sharks were on the piss last night, there needs to be an investigation.
Dragons suck like that most weeks but didn’t see that performance coming today from Sharks, it was as bad as I’ve seen for a while.
Horrible.
We were shyte. We won't dwell on it, we'll move on.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Right, here is the presser. Fast forward to the 17th minute, that's where it starts.
Fitz will give you the reasons why Miller wasn't chosen, it's the exact reason that I had said. He'd been out injured and not playing, and Trindall had been around the teaml more.

Level headed and honest assessment - refreshing after years of absolute verbal diarrhoea from most coaches. Move on

SharkShocked

Bench

Fairly standard Fitzy presser. Never drops blokes in it and never gets sucked into commenting on any controversial stuff.

Chimp

Bench
Our biggest issue was that we looked so lethargic all game - really heavy legged across the park, no zip, no energy, no enthusiasm - there was only really McInnes who ran with any gusto, but he was getting rag dolled as he was a lone ranger (and is relatively small), even our wingers looked like they were running in treacle.

The cheeky short kick off was cool, and I like the innovation, but I also think it was a sign of an attitude problem today - we weren't prepared to do the tough dirty work today, we weren't prepared to earn our field position and right to play pretty, we wanted a cheap fancy way instead. You often see that with teams, looking for a strip, a miracle offload, a cheap penalty instead of hammering the guts of the ruck. We wanted to run around them today instead of through them, which is always a problem. As a result, our middles just got in the way, and our handling was terrible - we made it easy for the Raiders to telegraph what we were doing, as we didn't ask any questions up the guts.

We were flat overall, but a few players I'd point out;

Brailey - Didn't bring our forwards onto the ball. I see it as his responsibility to pull the forwards in line and manage the tempo and direction around the ruck - just seemed happy to sling it wide to the halves.

Moylan/Hynes - Wanted to play pretty, both had terrible days with their hands and I didn't see either barking orders at the team, we just expected it to happen.

Ronaldo - Where was his usual energy today?

Wade - Looks old and shit, just got in the way and looked to hamper things whenever he had the ball. Has a lot of the old sharks about him still.

Wilton - Said it a few weeks ago, has real potential, but has some average shit in his game in terms of penalties and errors.

Trindall offered nothing, but to be fair, how could he, we didn't earn the right to play - he was probably our best spine player, just because he didn't really do much. The others did plenty, but badly.

Windy70

Juniors
I said this after the Broncos game, but why? To satisfy fans who are over-emotional. I like that Fitz hasn't been too high on the wins and hasn't been too low on the losses. As long as he can break down that performance, and get the team back on track - that's all that matters.
I agree with the break it down and move forward approach but screw the Fans. I just want to see him pissed off and let fly with how disappointed he is. I want the team to be more upset about letting him down then the scoreboard. The thought of facing Fitz after a performance like that needs to be a big deal.

ghoti

Bench
I agree with the break it down and move forward approach but screw the Fans. I just want to see him pissed off and let fly with how disappointed he is. I want the team to be more upset about letting him down then the scoreboard. The thought of facing Fitz after a performance like that needs to be a big deal.
Being afraid to face your coach after a loss sure works for Wests Tigers hey!

Professional, calm, solutions focused... As much as I don't buy into the Fitz hype, he has all these qualities and isn't concerned what looks good on tv. Crazy to want your coach to tell at his players for show, to what end??

Quicksilver

Bench
Ricky let's all kinds cooked shit fly during his press conferences.

And look who's in the winners circle today.

Special K

Coach
One thing that I think is clear every time Trindall, Hynes and Moylan are on the field together (even Tricky as 13) our attack does not flow. Too many cooks in the kitchen - only gets worse when we put Wade on and ask him to create also. Yesterday was just side to side rubbish with zero direction. We play our best footy when playing fast and yesterday was so slow and plain shit. We beat ourselves with really bad errors and asked zero questions in attack. We are such a better attacking team from 30-40 out with these big sweeping plays that get jammed up inside the 20.

We do not seem to have a plan for Wade/Teig. Both players swapped middle and edges and it looked clunky. With Dale out you ideally would put Wade to 13 but Cam has that role now. I'm not sure how we get the best out of Wade and Teig in the same side.

Losing BHU, Williams and Dale is really going to test our middles depth. Hazeltons time to shine.

Being afraid to face your coach after a loss sure works for Wests Tigers hey!

Professional, calm, solutions focused... As much as I don't buy into the Fitz hype, he has all these qualities and isn't concerned what looks good on tv. Crazy to want your coach to tell at his players for show, to what end??
Letting the coach down is certainly a factor, but screaming , yelling, intimidating ,controlling, hysterical, displays are not the way to get a team to buy into your system. I think bellamies tirades are tolerated only due the sides historical success. I dont think its a blueprint for a coach to gain respect.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Fairly standard Fitzy presser. Never drops blokes in it and never gets sucked into commenting on any controversial stuff.

Yes it's good. Must create a lot of butt hurt in here. People want him to lose the plot, spray players, drop players, get rid of players etc and it's always called for when things don't go well.

Frenzy.

Immortal
We were stifled by being in their line for half the game.. showed a huge flaw in that 'slingshot' pattern that we're over-reliant on.. only effective when we're rolling through a broken line. Canberra knew exactly what we wanted to do when we were going to do it, so a lotta credit to them for absolutely smothering the shit out of our attacking structure. I would hesitate even to single players out because it was just a total rabble across the park.. it's beyond dropping a few guys who underperformed, but can't see where the fix lies. Frustrating and boring ass game reminds me of the few Ipswich games I watched after they'd been figured out a few years back..

Time. Time is the fix. Kinda hard to have an instinctual Plan B, dare I say it, like the Stoems do, when you have a Plan A that is stilla work in progress in it's infancy.

The Ipswich analogy is a good one. I reviewed their game style and watched the Walker interviews a few weeks ago as I could see the similarity to the game play. One important difference is that the Ben and Shane don't believe in the importance of completions whereas Fitz does and has to as in the NRL you won't win without ownership of possession. That, and getting worked out, is why Walkerball won't work in the NRL. At least we know that as it was an interesting option at the time.

It may still work because the only way to wrest domination from Storms and Penrith, Rooster too at times is to reinvent the wheel in some way. No one will successfully emulate their styles and even if they do it's just fighting fire with fire when the opposition know how to counter.

I'm happy for the Sharks to persist with Walkerball in a hybrid state but it might take years. The right ammo isn't in place yet.

Latest posts